Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

Re: Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

This is the toughest pick I have made, but I think he is finally showing some ability at test level after a superb first class career and adds great variety to the side as he can bat anywhere in the top 6 and can be used as a 2nd spinner on spinning pitches

Simon Katich

Australia

SimonKatich_1457733.jpg

Full name Simon Mathew Katich
Born August 21, 1975, Middle Swan, Western Australia
Current age 33 years 281 days
Major teams Australia, Derbyshire, Durham, Hampshire, Kings XI Punjab, New South Wales, Western Australia, Yorkshire
Nickname Kat
Playing role Batsman
Batting style Left-hand bat
Bowling style Slow left-arm chinaman
Height 1.82 m

Batting and fielding averages
Code:
Mat Inns NO [B]Runs HS Ave[/B] BF SR [B]100[/B] 50 4s 6s Ct St 
Tests 38 66 5 [B]2649 157 43.42[/B] 5403 49.02 [B]7[/B] 15 313 6 26 0 
First-class 200 343 45 [B]16289 306 54.66[/B]   [B]46[/B] 85   181 0 

Bowling averages
         Mat Inns Balls [B]Runs Wkts[/B] BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10 
Tests 38 18 859 [B]533 18[/B] 6/65 6/90 [B]29.61[/B] 3.72 47.7 0 1 0 
First-class 200  5589 [B]3367 92[/B] 7/130  [B]36.59[/B] 3.61 60.7  3 0

Ever since he was included in Western Australia's state squad in 1994-95 he looked destined for bigger things. His talents were on show in 1998-99 when he amassed 1039 first-class runs, including 115 in the final won by Western Australia, and earned a spot on the tour to Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe. Katich was on the brink of a Test call-up in Sri Lanka when he contracted chicken pox and was quarantined. Unable to free himself of a virus that overcame him in the wake of that illness, he was forced to sit out much of the 1999-2000 domestic summer, but after a stellar 2000-01 - 1282 first-class runs and a century against every state - he was picked for the 2001 Ashes tour.

Replacing the injured Steve Waugh for the fourth Test, he made 15 and 0 not out on debut and had to wait two years for an opportunity against Zimbabwe, when his occasional left-arm chinaman bowling was surprisingly effective. He took 6 for 65 in the second innings in Sydney, which became his home when he switched to New South Wales and accepted the captaincy. Returning to the SCG later in the summer against India, he registered his maiden Test century and helped to ensure Waugh's final Test ended in a draw instead of a loss. He was in and out of the side in the next couple of years but his vicious first-class assault in 2007-08 helped him regain more Test recognition.
Cricinfo staff May 2009

Notes

State Player of the Year - 2004
Pura Cup Player of the Year - 2007-08

so doccau's got two picks, bundys got one then AB devilliers and then thats it. Lets be honest, nobody comes close to my finished product.

lads I'm going with Matty Elliot. Gun Victorian bat, terrible South Australian bat :p

write up soon, along with the others I've missed

ok so what happens now?
weve all picked our sides (except doccau who hasnt posted for a couple of weeks), and i reckon mine is a fairly good unit, and would dominate lol.

Haha.

I thought maybe we could all post a rundown on your team as a whole, explaining why you chose that particular mix of players, who you wanted but missed out on, and who are some players you hadn't heard of before the draft but learned about as part of it.

If people really wanted we could set up a poll, and vote for whose squad we think is the best. If you make it public you can see what people have chosen, and we could have the rule that you can't vote for your own squad.

all of that sounds good to me, i spose we'll just have to wait for doccau to finish though

I think my side would smash everyone, superb top order and with McGrath any total is defendable :D

eddiesmith;351412 said:
I think my side would smash everyone, superb top order and with McGrath any total is defendable :D

Of course you have my vote in any poll, but I am not sure about Jones as captain.

macca;351481 said:
Of course you have my vote in any poll, but I am not sure about Jones as captain.
Seemed the best choice, I dont think Ponting is a good captain and not sure of Woodfulls captaincy abilities

eddiesmith;351488 said:
Seemed the best choice, I dont think Ponting is a good captain and not sure of Woodfulls captaincy abilities

I just thought naturally Woodfull would be captain. But it is your team and would be very hard to beat no matter who skippered them.

macca;351496 said:
I just thought naturally Woodfull would be captain. But it is your team and would be very hard to beat no matter who skippered them.

except when they play my team which would make them relatively easy to beat

Caesar;351394 said:
Haha.

I thought maybe we could all post a rundown on your team as a whole, explaining why you chose that particular mix of players, who you wanted but missed out on, and who are some players you hadn't heard of before the draft but learned about as part of it.

If people really wanted we could set up a poll, and vote for whose squad we think is the best. If you make it public you can see what people have chosen, and we could have the rule that you can't vote for your own squad.
LOL- I was actually thinking about this last night and was going down a similar line.

But rather than the poll vote- which could be rigged by shonky Victorians :D, I was thinking we get some neutral judges such as Mas Cambios or LJP to make a call based on their learned opinions?

While we are waiting for Doc- lazy slack **************- (I can say that- I've known him for 20 odd years now :) ) we can post why you picked who you did and even your team tactics.

Alright- lets finish this thing off.

Doc's last picks given to me over the phone are:

David Hookes

1983_08b.jpg

An aggressive left-handed batsman, Hookes usually batted in the middle order. His international career got off to a sensational start in the Centenary Test at Melbourne in 1977 when he hit England captain Tony Greig for five consecutive boundaries, but a combination of circumstances ensured that he never became a regular in the Australian team. He wrote in his autobiography, "I suspect history will judge me harshly as a batsman because of my modest record in 23 Tests and I can't complain about that".

Code:
     Mat  	Inns  	NO  	Runs  	HS  	Ave  	BF  	SR  	100  	50  	4s  	6s  	Ct  	St
Tests 	23 	41 	3 	1306 	143* 	34.36 			1 	8 	147 	5 	12 	0

And his 12th man is: Mike Veletta

72141.jpg

In Doc's own words- I picked him because he thought he could field! :)

Mike Veletta is unlikely to figure in any Australian cricket Hall of Fame, but he did play a pivotal role in their seminal 1987 World Cup win. In the final against England he slammed 45 off only 31 balls, an innings that was ultimately decisive as Australia squeezed home by only seven runs. Such chicanery was slightly out of character for Veletta, the man with eyes like Errol Flynn's. He was ordinarily a dogged opener for Western Australia, and in the 1986-87 Sheffield Shield final he took them to victory with a 762-minute 266. He also had three opening partnerships of more than 300 with Geoff Marsh for WA.

Code:
     Mat  	Inns  	NO  	Runs  	HS  	Ave  	BF  	SR  	100  	50  	4s  	6s  	Ct  	St
Tests 	8 	11 	0 	207 	39 	18.81 	634 	32.64 	0 	0 	15 	0 	12 	0

Doc's XI:

1: Matt Hayden
2: Bill Brown
3: Kim Hughes
4: Steve Waugh (c.)
5: David Hookes
6: Sam Loxton
7: Adam Gilchrist
8: Damien Fleming
9: Geoff Lawson
10: Craig McDermott
11: Stuart Macgill

------

12: Mike Veletta

Final breakup of players by State of birth:

Code:
NSW	38	39.6%
VIC	25	26.0%
WA	11	11.5%
SA	8	8.3%
QLD	7	7.3%
TAS	3	3.1%
O/S	3	3.1%
NT	1	1.0%
ACT	0	0.0%

The three overseas players drafted were Archie Jackson (Scot), Clarrie Grimmett (Kiwi) and Kepler Wessels (Saffer).

Shame nobody drafted Michael Bevan, then we'd have a player from every State and Territory.

its strange that 3.1% of the 96 best ever australian players aren't australian.

Depends what you mean by Australian. Archie Jackson emigrated as a baby, and Grimmett lived most of his life and played practically all his cricket here.

Back