Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

Re: Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

sorry to disappoint boys, actually no, thats a lie. lol
C'Mon lets get some final picks up, i'm looking forward to comparing final products, although i am quietly confident with mine

Doccaau and Bundy are on the clock... if they haven't posted by 9pm EST I'll follow on.

I'm sure I'll cop some stick for this one, but as the final player in my XI and opener to partner the great Victor Trumper, I select a man who evoked memories of him by his strokeplay. Every team needs a young tyro, and in that role I take one of the original Baby Blues - the boy who was better than Bradman...

A. Jackson

Archie%20Jackson.jpg

Full name Archibald Jackson
Born September 5, 1909, Rutherglen, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Died February 16, 1933, Clayfields, Brisbane, Queensland (aged 23 years 164 days)
Major teams Australia, New South Wales
Also known as Archibald Alexander Jackson
Batting style Right-hand bat
Bowling style Right-arm offbreak

Matches 8
Runs scored 474
Batting average 47.40
Wickets
Bowling average

A stylish and elegant batsman who in an age of utility was a throwback to the great Victor Trumper, Archie Jackson made his debut for NSW at 17 and Australia at 19. He was renowned for playing incredibly efficiently, imparting incredible velocity to the ball with minimal force. His 164 in the Fourth Test of England's 1928-29 tour, at that time making him the youngest player ever to score a century, is still regarded by many as one of the greatest innings ever played.

While his form on the subsequent tour of England was disappointing given the high expectations of him (he was widely regarded a more complete batsman than the other Baby Blue, Bradman, and more likely to succeed in tricky English conditions), it was widely assumed that he and Bradman would go on to form the most formidable upper-order partnership ever to grace the field. Unfortunately, a rapid decline in health saw him miss many matches, and he died on the day England regained the Ashes during Bodyline - at the age of 23.

Should he have survived, many predict he could have matched (and even surpassed) the achievements of his contemporary, Bradman. Certainly during their time together, he was seen as the more complete and gifted player. Who knows? But in my side, paired at the top of the order with the player who inspired his style, and surrounded by legends of the game, I am certain he would rise to the challenge.

My final batting order (XII Man still to come):

Victor Trumper
Archie Jackson
Clem Hill
Neil Harvey (vc)
Warwick Armstrong (c)
Keith Miller
Hugh Trumble
Don Tallon+
Ray Lindwall
Bill Johnston
Charles Turner

Current status:

Doccaau (11th pick) - overdue
el-capitano (11th pick) - overdue
eddiesmith (11th pick) - overdue
A.B. De Villiers (11th pick) - on the clock
hattrick (12th pick) - in 21.5 hrs or after AB posts, whichever comes first.

My final batsman is: Warren Bardsley

Warren_Bardsley.jpg

Warren Bardsley, who died in Sydney on January 20, aged 71, was one the greatest left-handed batsmen produced by Australia. Only two of his countrymen, Sir Donald Bradman and AL Hassett, surpassed his record of 53 centuries -- 29 of them scored in England -- in first-class matches. As a stylist, Bardsley compared favourably with any left-hander of his day. His upright stance and eminently straight bat never failed to exercise a special charm upon spectators, and he used his feet to perfection while employing a wide variety of strokes. If less brilliant in cutting behind point than Clem Hill, he was stronger in hitting past cover and to leg and he possessed a specially powerful straight drive.

Altogether Bardsley represented Australia in 41 Test matches, scoring 2,469 runs in 66 innings, average 40.47. Besides the tours of England, he visited New Zealand in 1909-10 and 1923-24, South Africa in 1921-22, and also played cricket in Fiji, USA, Canada and Bermuda.

Sir Jack Hobbs said of Bardsley: I cannot imagine a nicer type of fellow. I probably played against him as often as any Englishman and he was one of the best left-handers of the upright, classical school that I have ever seen.

Code:
    Mat  	Inns  	NO  	Runs  	HS  	Ave  	100  	50  	6s  	Ct  	St
Tests 	41 	66 	5 	2469 	193* 	40.47 	6 	14 	3 	12 	0

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Warren Bardsley

Warren Bardsley - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My final XI batting order is:

1: Bob Simpson
2: Arthur Morris
3: Lindsay Hassett
4: Warren Bardsley
5: Darren Lehmann
6: Monty Noble (c)
7: Ian Healy
8: Richie Benaud
9: Brett Lee
10: Fred Spofforth
11: Bruce Reid

:)

Lads, going with a controversial selection and let me know if i cant use him.

He played for two nations, one being Australia and the other South Africa. He play 24 tests with Aus, so i guess i can use him?

Kepler Wessels.

will write up later this week. damn exams times.

A good history lesson this draft has been, find alot of players in the past who could have had impressive careers but the longevity and amount of games available just wasnt there, plus alot of older players seemed to play alot of first class matches for Australia rather than tests, anyway for my last pick I'm going to go for

Herbie Collins

053324.jpg

Full name Herbert Leslie Collins
Born January 21, 1888, Darlinghurst, Sydney, New South Wales
Died May 28, 1959, Little Bay, Sydney, New South Wales (aged 71 years 127 days)
Also known as Horseshoe
Bowling style Slow left-arm orthodox
Relations Brother - RS Collins

19 tests

Batting
31 innings
1 not out
1352 runs @ 45
HS of 203, 4 centuries and 6 fifties

Bowling
4 wickts @ 63

First class
Made 9924 runs @ 40, 32 centuries and 40 fifties, hs of 282
Took 181 wickets @ 21.38, 8 5 wicket hauls and 2 10 wicket matches, best bowling of 8/31

Herbie Collins, who died in Sydney on May 28, aged 70, took part in 19 Tests for Australia between 1920 and 1926. First appearing for New South Wales in 1912, he was a prominent member of the Australian Imperial Forces team in England in 1919, being captain for much of the programme after CE Kelleway, because of some disagreement, dropped out. During that tour Collins scored 1615 runs, including six centuries, average 38.45, and with slow left-arm bowling took 106 wickets for 16.55 runs each.

A bookmaker by profession, he was widely known as "Horseshoe" Collins by reason of his good fortune in connection with racing and in winning the toss at cricket. He was one of the great Australian team in England in 1921, when a broken thumb caused him to miss two of the Test matches, and he captained the side in England in 1926 when, handicapped by neuritis, he did not display his true form. A batsman possessing exceptionally sound defence and seemingly unlimited patience, he spent four hours fifty minutes over 40 runs in the Old Trafford Test match of 1921 when, following a blank first day through rain, an England total of 362 for four wickets, declared, left Australia with nothing to hope for but a draw.

In all Test matches he scored 1352 runs, average 45.06, and hit four centuries, the highest being 203 against South Africa at Johannesburg in 1921 and 162 against England at Adelaide in 1920-21. In 30 Sheffield Shield games for New South Wales he obtained 2040 runs, highest innings 146, for an average of 41.63.

http://content.cricinfo.com/australia/content/player/4602.html

Although he never did much with the ball in test cricket, his first class record shows he could be a very handy extra spin option to add to the lower order, also adds to my off field abilities as we now have our bookie :D

Current status:

Doccaau (11th pick) - overdue
hattrick (12th pick) - on the clock

Damien Martyn
Michael Clarke
David Boon
Donald Bradman (Captain)
Michael Hussey
Wally Grout(WK)
George Giffen
Tim May
Ian Johnson
Jeff Thomson
Graham McKenzie

My team is a bit of a contradiction. A foreigner picking an Australian Team all be at a side who will never actually take the field. It has been a massive honor to be allowed to virtually walk through Australian cricket history. If possible I would like my team to be virtually based at the SCG or the MCG.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

My twelfth man, whom I think was born in the wrong era as he is good enough in my opinion to be a constant selection for the Baggy Greens.

Brad Hodge

spr2.jpg

Bradley John Hodge (born 29 December 1974 in Sandringham, [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_%28Australia%29"]Victoria is an Australian and [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Bushrangers"]Victorian cricketer. His high school was \St. Bede's College[/URL] in Mentone, Victoria. He is a right hand batsman who bats in the middle order, as well as a part time right arm [\off spin[/URL] bowler.

After a long time waiting for an international debut, he finally debuted for the Australian team against the West Indies in November 2005 at Bellerive Oval, Hobart during the 2005-06 Test Series, becoming the 394th player to wear the baggy green for Australia.

Hodge scored his maiden Test century for Australia against South Africa in Perth on December 19, 2005. After ending the third day on 91 not out Hodge displayed some nervousness in media interviews about reaching his century, but by the end of the innings he managed to finish with an unbeaten score of 203. This innings was criticised by some Australian fans who felt that captain Ricky Ponting declared too late in allowing Hodge to chase his double century. This criticism came after Australia did not bowl out South Africa in the 4th innings (despite having 120 overs to bowl them out), with the match ending in a draw.

Hodge later made his One-day International debut and after two initial modest scores he scored a half-century. This earned him a recall for somes games against South Africa in the VB Series, however he failed to capitalise and was dropped from the ODI side.

Despite his solid Test performances, Hodge was dropped after only 5 Tests in the team and only 3 Tests after scoring a double century for Australia's 2005/06 Test tour of South Africa. This decision was made on the back of some poor Pura Cup performances by Hodge, who averaged around 25 for the season. However, he was dropped in favour of Damien Martyn, whose Pura Cup averages for the season were even lower, and whose most recent Test series included an average of 19 in The Ashes series. Hodge had averaged 58 from his only 5 Tests in the side but in a surprise selection it was decided that Martyn would be selected based on his reputation as a prolific run scorer in past seasons for Australia.

Brad Hodge made 99 not out off 86 balls to steer Australia to victory against New Zealand on the 4th of February, 2007 when he was called into the team because Andrew Symonds had pulled out with a torn bicep.

On 18 February 2007 Brad Hodge scored 97 not out off 86 balls as he helped Australia to 4/336 off their 50 overs.

On 18 March 2007, in World Cup, Hodge scored his maiden one day century against Holland. He scored 123 off just 89 balls including 7 sixes and 8 fours in a record 4th wicket partnership with Michael Clarke.

On 24 March 2007, Hodge was dropped from the Australian ODI side starting 11 in the World Cup after making a century and being named man of the match in the sides last outing. Andrew Symonds, after recovering from a shoulder injury, was named as his replacement. Hodge later returned to the starting 11 when Shane Watson was injured.

Test Batting
Code:
Mat   Inns  	NO  	Runs  HS  	Ave  	 BF  	SR  	    100  	50  	4s  	6s  Ct  	St
6 	11 	2 	503 	203* 	55.88 965 	52.12 	1 	2 	60 	1 	9

Brad Hodge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Brad Hodge

We seem to have all our good spinners born in the same generation. Stuart MacGill and Shane Warne, and Bill O'Reilly and Clarrie Grimmet. This man was the back up to the second pair, and was a dominant but unlucky spinner. His first class career more than backs up his selection.

My 12th Man
Chuck Fleetwood-Smith

13630.jpg

Code:
     Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10 
Tests 10 18 3093 1570 42 6/110 10/239 37.38 3.04 73.6 4 2 1 
First-class 112  26569 13519 597 9/36  22.64 3.05 44.5  57 18

Leslie O'Brien Fleetwood-Smith, who died in a Melbourne hospital on March 16, aged 60, played in 10 Test matches for Australia between 1935 and 1938, taking 42 wickets. A left-arm spin bowler who changed his style after breaking his right arm as a schoolboy, he often exploited the googly and the "chinaman" with effect. In all first-class cricket his record was 597 wickets, average 22.00. "Chuck", as he was known, first toured England in 1934 when he obtained 119 wickets - including three in four deliveries against Oxford University - for 18.06 runs apiece, but failed to gain a Test place against such formidable rivals as C.V. Grimmett and W.J. O'Reilly.

In 1936-37, however, after faring moderately in South Africa the previous year, he helped Australia to carry off the Ashes following the loss of the first two Tests, in which he did not play, to G.O. Allen's England team. Fleetwood-Smith did specially well in the fourth Test at Melbourne, his match analysis being 10 wickets for 239 runs. Again in England in 1938, he took part in four Tests and at Leeds earned match figures of 7 for 107, he and O'Reilly (10 for 122) bearing a major part in the victory which decided the rubber.

In the final match of the series at The Oval - his last Test appearance - however, he, in company with the other Australian bowlers, came in for a mauling. It was in that game that Leonard Hutton put together his record-breaking 364 and England won by the overwhelming margin of an innings and 579 runs. Fleetwood-Smith's analysis in a total of 903 was one wicket for 298 runs from 87 overs.

For Victoria, Fleetwood-Smith took 246 wickets for 24.56 runs each in 40 Sheffield Shield fixtures. Twice he enjoyed the distinction of dismissing nine batsmen in an innings - for 36 runs against Tasmania in 1932-33 and for 135 runs against South Australia five seasons later - at Melbourne in each case. He fell on hard times some years ago and was "living rough", but his friends rallied round him and latterly he was his old self again.

Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Chuck Fleetwood-Smith

Doccaau (Picks 11 and 12 overdue)
bundybullz08 (Pick 12 on the clock until 2:15pm EST)

Well, I'm a little early as I'm about to get on a plane, so if bundy logs on in the next five minutes, he's welcome to steal my selection if he wants it :p. Given the versatility and depth of my bowling, my twelfth man is naturally a solid middle-order batsman:

A.F. Kippax

3231748.jpg

Full name Alan Falconer Kippax
Born May 25, 1897, Paddington, Sydney, New South Wales
Died September 5, 1972, Bellevue Hill, Sydney, New South Wales (aged 75 years 103 days)
Bowling style Legbreak

Matches 22
Runs scored 1192
Batting average 36.12
Balls bowled 70
Wickets 0
Bowling average N/A

One of Australian cricket's most stylish-ever batsmen, Alan Kippax was a prolific first-class runmaker and captain for NSW. During his tenure he nurtured young players such as Don Bradman, Archie Jackson and Stan McCabe. His play was styled on that of Victor Trumper, who joins him in my team, and he in turn inspired Archie Jackson's. During his late Test career (he didn't debut until 27, and only became a regular at 33) he was a steady and dependable middle order player, although he struggled against short-pitched deliveries later on (perhaps a relic of his experiences during Bodyline).

One of Kippax's main roles in the team is that he played during his late-blooming Test career - a steady head, stong and dependable member of the leadership group, mentor and model for the younger players. I feel that with him in the side, he would help contribute to making my team of champions a champion team. He would certainly only augment the performance of young Archie Jackson. And if ever called upon to join the XI - steady hands in the field, steady nerves in a pinch, and a steady bat in an upper order collapse would make him a worthy addition.

Well I'll go with this guy as my 12th man.

If its a spinners wicket, we could justify leaving out a quick for this guy who was also a decent bat as well.

Greg Matthews

matthews1.jpg

Greg Matthews's extravagant affectations, cool lingo and dogged fighting spirit briefly made him the most hip player in the country, though rarely in the corridors of power, the Australian dressing-room or the estimation of Allan Border. Matthews was picked for Australia as a hard-working offspinner and fine fielder, but lacked penetration and averaged 48. Yet as a courageous if inelegant left-hand batsman he made four centuries and averaged 41. He was nothing if not a paradox.

His high point was his ten-wicket Man of the Match performance in the Madras tied Test, in which he played throughout in a sweater while others nearly died of heatstroke. He holds New South Wales's appearance and wicket records, and was once proclaimed by his friend Geoff Lawson as NSW's best-ever player.

Batting:

Code:
     Mat  	Inns  	NO  	Runs  	HS  	Ave  	BF  	SR  	100  	50  	4s  	6s  	Ct  	St
Tests 	33 	53 	8 	1849 	130 	41.08 	4178 	44.25 	4 	12 	166 	5 	17 	0

Bowling:

Code:
     Mat  	Inns  	Balls  	Runs  	Wkts  	BBI  	BBM  	Ave  	Econ  	SR  	4w  	5w  	10
Tests 	33 	47 	6271 	2942 	61 	5/103 	10/249 	48.22 	2.81 	102.8 	3 	2 	1

Back