Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

Re: Australian All-Time Test Team Draft

el-capitano;342269 said:
I was hoping that people would post straight away if they could and it was their go- however we'd give them a day's grace to post if they had internet issues- but if you want to be harsher- thats fine with me! ;)
Nah, that's okay. I approve your message.

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this less than a football draft, because it's less subjective and more statistics-based. Also, in a football draft, I have to think about how my whole team will work together, how it will play, what formation they will use, etc. Aside from getting the roles balanced, and maybe a couple of key bowling and batting partnerships, there's going to be less of that here.

Caesar;342270 said:
Nah, that's okay. I approve your message.

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this less than a football draft, because it's less subjective and more statistics-based. Also, in a football draft, I have to think about how my whole team will work together, how it will play, what formation they will use, etc. Aside from getting the roles balanced, and maybe a couple of key bowling and batting partnerships, there's going to be less of that here.
I know it'll be different- but I thought we'd give it a try!

It doesnt have to be "that" statistics based, as a lot of the older players obviously don't stack up on totals with the current generation, however, you can base your pick on their influence on the team etc such as a Geoff Marsh type player, or going back even further- say a Warwick Armstrong type of player! ;)

Donald-Bradman.jpg

Full name Sir Donald George Bradman
Born 27 August 1908(1908-08-27) Cootamundra, New South Wales, Australia
Died 25 February 2001 (aged 92) Kensington Park, Adelaide, Australia
Nickname The Don, The Boy from Bowral, Braddles
Height 1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)
Batting style Right-handed
Bowling style Right-arm leg break

International information
National side Australia
Test debut (cap 124) 30 November 1928 v England
Last Test
18 August 1948 v England
Domestic team information
Years Team
1927–34 New South Wales
1935–49 South Australia
Honours
Wisden Cricketer of the Year 1931
Australian Cricket Hall of Fame 1996
Knighted for services to cricket 1949
Appointed Commander of the Order of Australia (AC) 1979
Selected as one of five Wisden Cricketers of the Century, 2000

Info
Arguably the greatest cricketer ever. He was an influential player, administrator till the end. One of a few players who replied to nearly every request for an autograph from fans worldwide, past his playing retirement.
The greatest batsman of his era forced the English to adopt the Bodyline tactics to curb his scoring which he did often. The English must have been tired reading scoreboards, newspaper with him scoring hundreds, double hundreds against them.
I am honest that almost all fans of the game have heard his golf ball and stump drill in which he trained co-ordination to a level to which, it is part of his legend and mystique.
As a purist , an easy selection and a choice which I am sure all would agree with.

Donald Bradman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cricinfo - Players and Officials - Sir Donald Bradman

This is going to be interesting. We're going to get some dross though - 96 players is a fair chunk of the players who have played a decent amount of Test cricket.

Come on, Pav. Quick game's a good game.

D.K;342579 said:
Wouldn't of been my first choice ;)
Neither. But my first choice will disappear before my turn anyway.

If I get more than 3 of my First XI I'll be surprised. This draft will come down to the latter rounds.

Sorry for taking a while lads but had some stuff to take care of in the real world.

Don't have time for a big write-up at the moment but will do one later.

Shane Warne is my pick.

Here we go.

Well really there was only one man for the job. You need a gun keeper and someone that has kept to the great S.K. Warne and dominated needs a place. Oh and just throw in the fact he can smash a ball further thena baseballer and could probably fly with those ears of his. Guessed yet? surely....

A.C.Gilchrist!

Enjoy :D

Nice pick, DK. I was tossing up whether to take him in the first round myself - decision has been made for me now.

Let's go Bundy. If you pick my first choice I'll be spewing.

ah man is there any chance i can still play i only just seen this thread then?

ants14;342811 said:
Since we've already started- how about you are first sub, if anyone drops out?

I just don't want to be left with picking guys who were only average test players but not really great- if you know what I mean! ;)

Plus, if this goes well I was going to ask Mas Cambios if he wanted to do the All Time England Test Team, as well as a current World XI Test Team, maybe down the track a Australian All Time One Day Team etc- so you can sign up with those.

All-Time England XI would be awesome. ODI... not sure. The game has changed so much since WC1996 that 90% of players would be from the last decade. But then I'm mainly into the historical drafts.

If you could get enough participants (I'm thinking like 15 to 20) an All-Time World XI Test Draft would be awesome.

ants14;342811 said:

Sorry lads but some personal issues have come up and I wont have the time to play this.

I've already picked Warney so as long as El-Capitano gives it the ok ants can take my spot.

postmanpav;342878 said:
Sorry lads but some personal issues have come up and I wont have the time to play this.

I've already picked Warney so as long as El-Capitano gives it the ok ants can take my spot.

im up for that, but i wont be home til monday, ive got cricket trip this weekend, so im guna pm u el-capitano with 10 picks

K.R. Miller

6611.html

Full name: Keith Ross Miller
Born: November 28, 1919, Sunshine, Melbourne, Victoria
Died: October 11, 2004, Mornington Peninsula, Melbourne, Victoria (aged 84 years 318 days)
Major teams: Australia, New South Wales, Nottinghamshire, Victoria

Matches: 55
Runs scored: 2958
Batting average: 36.97
Wickets: 170
Bowling average: 22.97

Australia's greatest allrounder. A fearsome fast bowler with excellent pace variation, and a prolific batsman with powerful strokeplay. Also an excellent fieldsman who anchored the slips cordon of the 1948 side. Was at the forefront of the scoring and wickettaking for every side he was involved with, and remains the only player to hold a place on both the batting and bowling honours board at Lords.

Little more needs to be said.

Back