Australian Politics

Re: Australian Politics

brickwaller99;398158 said:
Notice the title or can't you read? and i'm 38 if you call that young.

No i cant read, i have this all read out to me then i dictate a reply because i cant spell either, that is why i take so long to reply.

I didn't notice your title, your majesty. Pardon me sir. I hope you didn't get it out of the same cereal pack that your cricket coaching certificate came from.

That's right bow to your master:p
Get a life the certificate's real. Couldn't give a damn about politics but it did provide an amusing source of abusing people.

I'm not as i appear, ever
Or is that above your comprehension:p

Her first day as PM was pretty impressive, made the miners look stupid, made Abbott look stupid(er) and made Bishop look stupid(est).

Disappointing about Tanner though.

Kram81;402362 said:
Rudd out.

Gillard in.

Reckon she'll call an early election?

Not sure, I hope she doesn't actually. I reckon the longer she goes up against Abbott the greater the margin will be at the polls. Labor did the best thing by ousting Rudd who had started to severely damage the party. Hopefully Gillard will drop a few of the policies that Rudd wanted to bring in as well as getting rid of the super profits tax. If she does that, Labor will win, Abbott is a complete clown.

LJP, what is the general consensus on the RSPT in WA, where it would have the largest effect? The fear and misinformation campaign over here by the mining companies and the Liberals has been a sight to behold. I can only imagine how it would be over there.

a for effort;402398 said:
LJP, what is the general consensus on the RSPT in WA, where it would have the largest effect?

Labor would have been dead in the water if Rudd was still PM at election time. He probably wouldn't have won a seat over here, the reaction to the tax was that bad. He managed to get all of the major mining companies offside as well as the state's residents all in the one idea.

WA already gets shafted when it comes to GST royalties, all the other states recieve at least 90 cents in the dollar or more in return, WA gets less than 70 cents I believe even though the state is the workhorse of the economy. Adding the tax to that statistic was a complete insult to the WA people.

a for effort said:
The fear and misinformation campaign over here by the mining companies and the Liberals has been a sight to behold. I can only imagine how it would be over there.

They've done a fair bit of it. The Libs haven't said a lot, most of what they said has been agreeance with the mining companies who have campagined against the tax, there's been community meetings held and other sorts of stuff happening in the mining towns to combat it. I think when Rudd was over here, he copped a fair bit of abuse at a couple of public speaking events with people questioning him on the entire thing.

The tax really has no benefit for those mining companies who do business over here, penalising them for being too profitable is a joke. Labor will throw away votes over here if they go through with it, hopefully they don't. I think with Gillard in charge they stand a better chance over here of getting votes and securing a few seats.

Had a chat to my brother today, in his recent trips to Asia the first question he always gets asked by investors is what the **** is going with this mining tax? The uncertainty is a killer. It's just a massive tax grab and nothing will change under Gillard. The Labor Party had lost its way? Wasn't she 2nd in charge?

In QT she said she felt sorry about about the deaths with insulation installs and then goes to crap on about all the jobs it created - by pissing money up against the wall? Getting cowboys to install it, how much will it cost for the the safety checks?

Kram81;402362 said:
Rudd out.

Gillard in.

Rudd played on the "I'm an alternative to Howard, since your getting bored of having him."

Now Gillard is going to ride on the wave of support for being Australia's first woman prime minister. I've seen a lot of opinion polls around where people have high opinions on her simply for being a woman.

Doesn't matter whether you are man or woman, you have to be the right person for the job, which she IMO is not.

Which polls are they? I'm interested to see because I, somewhat surprisingly, haven't seen much gender-based talk after the first few days.

a for effort;403285 said:
Which polls are they? I'm interested to see because I, somewhat surprisingly, haven't seen much gender-based talk after the first few days.

No, no, not major ones sorry, just things in a few local papers and general talk around town. I used to follow politics quite closely, but I gave up a little while back and now I've just restricted myself to local stuff only. The area I live seems a little more on the chauvinistic side than not (not overly though), so having more women than men in our council, a woman premier and now a woman prime minister has sent the women having some quiet celebrations and it seems they are content with voting them all back in for the sake of equality of the sexes, no matter who.

I'm definitely not sexist in any way, in fact I think women make better leaders, but from the opinions I've heard around the place mostly locally, I don't like the tendency to vote in politicians simply for a reason as mundane as that. I mean half the people I know voted Rudd simply because he was different to Howard. Just my random ramble for the day, I would like to only let those who know what they are doing to be allowed to vote. America's system works quite well there (at least until Bush somehow got in :D).

The "polls" which represent what you want them to, I know them well... wait I just made one ... er ... I mean... I saw a highly reputable one which showed that all Queenslanders who post on this site love Peter Siddle. Wow that was not the result I expected.

So, Gillard calls an election for the 21st of August which is less than five weeks away. Who do you think will win and why?

Back