Australian Politics

Re: Australian Politics

Labor, not because they're any good but rather because the Liberals are just a poor copy of them with some wacky religious right social values thrown in.

Weakest pair of contesting parties since the 1990 election, IMO. Expect the Greens to pick up a hefty slice of the vote.

Both major parties are severely underwhelming, but I think Labor will win comfortably. Abbott's social regressiveness and religiosity will alienate large pockets of Australia's relatively secular population, and his poor eloquence and public speaking skills don't hold him in good stead as a potential leader of the country. Gillard's major strength is that she is running against Abbott.

My favourite part of the election will be when Andrew Bolt's head explodes after the Green's pick up more seats. Hopefully in 25 years the Greens will be a legitimate third party, ala the Liberal Democrats in the UK.

a for effort;403813 said:
Both major parties are severely underwhelming, but I think Labor will win comfortably. Abbott's social regressiveness and religiosity will alienate large pockets of Australia's relatively secular population, and his poor eloquence and public speaking skills don't hold him in good stead as a potential leader of the country. Gillard's major strength is that she is running against Abbott.

My favourite part of the election will be when Andrew Bolt's head explodes after the Green's pick up more seats. Hopefully in 25 years the Greens will be a legitimate third party, ala the Liberal Democrats in the UK.

Since when A4E??? The only creedence they have is that, unfortunately, neither of the 2 major parties secured enough seats, ensuring the Lib-Dems, who's popularity in terms of both votes and seats in parliament reduced, had the power in terms of forming a coalition. They are not a viable alternative. Roar....

Well they're part of the coalition that's currently governing your country. I'm not sure how that would fall outside of any interpretation of 'viable alternative', regardless of the unusual circumstances.

a for effort;403841 said:
Well they're part of the coalition that's currently governing your country. I'm not sure how that would fall outside of any interpretation of 'viable alternative', regardless of the unusual circumstances.

I know it's difficult A4E, but trust me, they aren't viable. In the recent election, they lost votes and MP's. Indeed, the party leader today stated that the last time a Lib Dem was in the despatch box, was in the 1920's. I think you would have a difficult time finding anyone who could argue they are a viable political alternative to the 2 major parties, despite being in a position where they could negotiate cabinet positions due to holding the balance of power with their 20odd MP's in a hung parliament.

What's your definition of a viable alternative then? The Lib Dems are a substantial reason why a hung parliament existed in the first place, which gave them an incredible amount of bargaining power. They may have only had 20 seats but unlike either major party THEY got to choose who governed with THEM.

If I can vote for one of three parties and all three parties have a good chance of ending up in government with members in Cabinet and the ability to get their policies enacted, then in my book that's three viable alternatives. If the LDs can get IRV implemented then their power will only grow in future electoral cycles.

Caesar;403806 said:
Labor, not because they're any good but rather because the Liberals are just a poor copy of them with some wacky religious right social values thrown in.

Weakest pair of contesting parties since the 1990 election, IMO. Expect the Greens to pick up a hefty slice of the vote.

a for effort;403813 said:

Pretty much what I think. Abbott is a complete knob and will probably get thrashed in the vote.

a for effort said:

I don't know about that. If the Greens ever get into power watch Australia Day become "Arbor Day" and the Queen's Birthday become "Hug a Tree day".

How's everyone voting on Saturday? I'm probably going to vote Nationals in both the House and the Senate.

So, Gillard forms government after managing to get a green and three independents on side. Could either be a great three-year term for the government, a poor one or we could be voting again in 12 to 18 months.

Back