Big Bash League 2013/14 Thread

Ljp86

Staff member
The 2013/14 edition of the Big Bash League has been busy in the off-season period with signings going on left, right and centre. All of the franchises have been recruiting players in readiness for the season which begins on December 20 and has been extended by two weeks with all finals to be played on weekends only.

The biggest news so far is the defection of Michel Hussey to the Sydney Thunder (booooo!!) and the retirement of Shane Warne from all cricket.

Once again squads will consist of 18 players with a maximum of two overseas players only and a maximum of two overseas replacement players. There will also be a trade period between the 11th and 15th of November where clubs can trade players, similar to the trade period held in the Australian Football League (AFL). Minimum contracts in the BBL are $20,000 this season with final squads to be submitted by December 6.

2013/14 BBL Squads

Adelaide Strikers: *Johan Botha (Overseas Player), Jono Dean, Callum Ferguson, Alex Hales (OS), Jon Holland, Phil Hughes, Matt Johnston, Michael Klinger, Trent Lawford, +Tim Ludeman, Andrew McDonald, Gary Putland, Nathan Reardon, Kane Richardson, Shaun Tait, Adam Zampa
Brisbane Heat: *James Hopes, Nicholas Buchanan, Joe Burns, Daniel Christian, Ben Cutting, Peter Forrest, Cameron Gannon, Ryan Harris, +Chris Hartley, Nathan Hauritz, Mitchell Johnson, +Craig Kieswetter (OS) Chris Lynn, Alister McDermott, Luke Pomersbach, Daniel Vettori (OS), Shane Watson,
Hobart Hurricanes: *George Bailey, Travis Birt, Doug Bollinger, Aiden Blizzard, Xavier Doherty, Ben Hilfenhaus, Ben Laughlin, +Tim Paine, Owais Shah (OS)

Melbourne Renegades: *Aaron Finch, Fawad Ahmed, Tom Cooper, Alex Doolan, Daniel Harris, Jayde Herrick, Michael Hill, +Peter Nevill, Muttiah Muralitharan (OS), Aaron O’Brien, James Pattinson, Nathan Rimmington, Ben Rohrer, Will Sheridan, Peter Siddle

Melbourne Stars: *Cameron White, Jackson Bird, James Faulkner, +Peter Handscomb, John Hastings, Brad Hodge, David Hussey, Alex Keath, Glenn Maxwell, Lasith Malinga (OS), Clint McKay, Rob Quiney, Clive Rose, Marcus Stoinis, +Matthew Wade, Daniel Worrall, Luke Wright (OS)

Perth Scorchers: *Simon Katich, Ashton Agar, Michael Beer, Jason Behrendorff, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Patrick Cummins, Liam Davis, Mitchell Marsh, Shaun Marsh, +Tom Triffitt, Ashton Turner, Adam Voges

Sydney Sixers: *+Brad Haddin, Sean Abbott, Trent Copeland, Josh Hazlewood, Moises Henriques, Brett Lee, Nathan Lyon, Michael Lumb (OS), Marcus North, Steve O’Keefe, Jordan Silk, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc

Sydney Thunder: *Michael Clarke, Cameron Borgas, +Ryan Carters, Scott Coyte, Luke Doran, Jason Floros, Daniel Hughes, Michael Hussey, Dirk Nannes, Kurtis Patterson, Gurinder Sandhu, Chris Tremain

Perth team still looks ok, disappointing Huss went east you would .think the guy would be loaded enough to get paid less and stay at home. Triffitt needs to pull his finger out was useless last year, hopefully we get someone decent from overseas.

No West Indians in this tournament due to international commitments.

As a Sydney Thunder fan, I just hope we play a lot better than last season.

Even if we don't make the finals, I couldn't handle another winless season.

Perth team still looks ok, disappointing Huss went east you would .think the guy would be loaded enough to get paid less and stay at home. Triffitt needs to pull his finger out was useless last year, hopefully we get someone decent from overseas.

No West Indians in this tournament due to international commitments.

We look alright so far, North is no loss but not having Hussey will hurt. He is allegedly on extra coin at the Thunder to prop up what has become the basketcase of the BBL. Not sure why Clarke is captain, he probably won't play a game.

As a Sydney Thunder fan, I just hope we play a lot better than last season.

Even if we don't make the finals, I couldn't handle another winless season.

The aim would be to win a couple of games and not get the wooden spoon again. I've heard Scott Coyte is on about $200K which doubles as not only his BBL contract but to cover him not being in the NSW main squad as there is no room as he plays occasional Sheffield Shield and Ryobi Cup games.

We look alright so far, North is no loss but not having Hussey will hurt. He is allegedly on extra coin at the Thunder to prop up what has become the basketcase of the BBL. Not sure why Clarke is captain, he probably won't play a game.

The aim would be to win a couple of games and not get the wooden spoon again. I've heard Scott Coyte is on about $200K which doubles as not only his BBL contract but to cover him not being in the NSW main squad as there is no room as he plays occasional Sheffield Shield and Ryobi Cup games.

I would probably say we became the basketcase of the BBL as we put all our eggs into the Chris Gayle & Michael Clarke basket so we didn't have any money left to get ourselves a decent team.

Losing David Warner to our crosstown rivals, the Sixers really hurt us last year as Warner was a key player for us.

One only has to look at the Sixers team, it's virtually a NSW state team on paper.

If we had one or two of the players the Sixers got when a few switched to NSW from other states, we'd actually have a very good team.

I would probably say we became the basketcase of the BBL as we put all our eggs into the Chris Gayle & Michael Clarke basket so we didn't have any money left to get ourselves a decent team.

Losing David Warner to our crosstown rivals, the Sixers really hurt us last year as Warner was a key player for us.

One only has to look at the Sixers team, it's virtually a NSW state team on paper.

If we had one or two of the players the Sixers got when a few switched to NSW from other states, we'd actually have a very good team.

The same could be said for the Sixers though, not very many from outside NSW although they certainly have more of the NSW talent in their squad though. I suppose that's what happens when there are two sides from the one state, the pool is diluted and the second XI players get more of an opportunity.

Most of the teams have a crap player or 2 floating around since the expansion, the drop in quality of the competition is noticeable.

Annoyed that this going to channel 10, Foxtel's coverage was good and no ads. Hopefully 10 can put together a good team.

lol, so both the Australian teams finish dead last with zero wins in their Champions League groups.

Got in before my edit ha.

In fairness Perth have a lot out, not really surprising that they have been completely useless.

Back