City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Morning All,

Jimmy nearly drove the Beemer off the road when you sent Merl a cherrio from your top rating radio program.You along with many others miss Merl's point that there is a my cricket program for scores to be entered into but it is not enforced encouraged or even thought of most of the time.There must be an incentive or even penalties to ensure the results are published as quickly as possible but nevertheless I appreciate you being able to get trees are green on the box and enlighten the cricketing public as to what is going on.

Vinnie

It looks like your mob are starting to eat their own down at the brick and chop chop may have had one or 14 too many chops.I think he needs to pull his head which he nearly has by the size of him and let the power brokers do their job!!

Uncle Mick,

Your weather prediction proved correct once again and no chance to re arrange the banjo players head and I will back a strapping young lad such as your self against an elder statesman in his 50's who should be either in the rocking chair like Merl or having some common sense as surely I grade is not being played for sheep stations these days!!!

Brudes

no tips again you must be concentrating on securing your spot in the 20/20 side which I see has made the semis!!

Merl over and out

Chooka & Chop
You can only try and provide the environment and hope that the young ones will then take advantage of what is offered.Both your club structures are amongst the best so there is no concern there. Unfortunately this GenY walk to a beat of a competely different drum.They want immediate success and don't want to have put the work in, but more importantly have access to so many interests that they can pick and choose what they want to do, hence the problem of falling in and out of love with cricket.

Morning All,

Vinnie

It looks like your mob are starting to eat their own down at the brick and chop chop may have had one or 14 too many chops.I think he needs to pull his head which he nearly has by the size of him and let the power brokers do their job!!

Merl,

It's hardly a case of eating our own as i seriously doubt chop chop even plays down at the brick. If he did he would know that S.Krull was more than happy to play lower grades over the years, and this year is the only year he's had a decent crack at it, resulting in him being picked in our 2's. Also he mentions Rhys Pickels who's been living down at the 'Rat for the past year, and Dion Lucas who has given up on cricket full stop after a season with his mates at Uniting.

Chooka,

I'll just correct you on a few things, Michael Fletcher's development has been curtailed due to a bad back which has stopped him from bowling. Beckett has just turned 20 and has excuses(none to which i will disclose) as to why he hasn't been consistent. No one at Omega begrudged Alex Bychkov for going to St Kilda. He never played subbies and he's not back at the club again, so i have no idea where you've got your info from!

Couldn't agree more with Clocker's post, times have changed and we now just have to learn to adapt and keep these kids interested.

I'm not here to make excuses as to why we've struggled this year. We've had a tough year thus far,but i have no doubt we'll hit back.

My apologies for the way my post was structured, like i said i wasnt making a direct attack, was just a feeling shared by myself and a few of the ommer boys, who dont think that our views or that of alot of the players are herd which is why i felt a discussion was needed.

Like i said im omega through and through and will never leave the club, i just dont agree with our direction. We are a great family club and if a few steps were taken can return to being a powerhouse of the cmca. (The days of casey, mcgaw, cliffy etc)

Chenz:

Re krull: ive always been aware of his lackluster attitude towards training i just think that players like himself were being left in the dark, forgive me for being forthwrite thats just an observation Id made and had been identified by a few 4ths and 5ths boys.

Re pickles: My apologies i didnt realise he had since left the club. I personally and i know it was a view of other players that he had the skills superior to players like mitchell, but never fully reached his potential, due to lack of motivation or coaching ill never know.

These are just my views as a 4ths and 5ths player for the past 10 years, ive seen many of the boys come here with so much potential, just never reaching it, it might just be their own personal attitude twards the game.

I'll just correct you on a few things, Michael Fletcher's development has been curtailed due to a bad back which has stopped him from bowling. Beckett has just turned 20 and has excuses(none to which i will disclose) as to why he hasn't been consistent. No one at Omega begrudged Alex Bychkov for going to St Kilda. He never played subbies and he's not back at the club again, so i have no idea where you've got your info from!

Fair enough OB. As mentioned in my post I am happy to be corrected by those who know the facts. I also said that all are young enough to still have an impact so I was not writing any of them off by any stretch.

Was unaware of Fletchers back injury so that does explain a fair bit as I really rated him as a junior. In regard to Beckett, well there are far more important things in life than cricket so I take your point. The info on young Bychkov came directly from someone at your club. I wont labour the point but I am informed and believe it to be correct that a season or so back he left Omega mid season (might have even been mid game) to go and play at Ormond. Came back to Omega at the start of the following season. Again if this wrong I stand corrected but I am advised some at the club were not so forgiving.

As someone who reads every post, however doesn't get involved in the very entertaining banter - i feel as a former Omega member and current CMCA player I need to get involved here!

Omega C.C is a brilliant establishment! Its more than a cricket club - it is more than some rooms, nets or bowling machine - it is in fact a family. Until you experience it from the inside - you truly cant comment - so don't knock it!

One thing about families - is they keep their concerns in house and voice them in the right forum, to the right people who can influence change at Omega. They don't air controversial opinion's like yours Chop Chop - i don't see how your statement about the club's direction on this very public forum has helped anyone at Omega?

I dont mean to be negative towards your opinion Chop Chop - but as a bloke who has experience captaining a cricket club when you are new to their environment - it isn't easy - perhaps some support would be best. If you can honestly say you have voiced your concerns with Ferg and the people who matter - then fine, come on here and say want you want!

But until then - get your negativity about the club you are apparently a loyal member of off this forum. Keep your mouth shut - roll up your sleeves and start helping out!

Yes Omega is struggling at the moment - but i have not and will not see anyone write Omega off - we all know better than that. Now is the time to be a strong family and encourage those young men who will eventually bring the Longmuir Shield back to Bricker!

Ahhh thatsryte

Just wondering i know there is a lot that would need to happen, but is there any sense now to possibly making the season all into a one day format including finals. This would be a unprecedented change but so too is the season and how it is unfolding, atm we are set to play 7 one day games out of 11 and that number may jump. Bring the season forward so finals are done and dusted early then perhaps run a T20 comp at the end of the season to make up for lost cricket, just suggestions! To play 7/11 38 over games then lead into a finals series with 72 overs does not sit well with me.

One thing we do now know is that 38 overs is a joke, it needs to be increased to at least 45 imo with 5 bowlers bowling 9 overs or a max of 9, we also need to have field restrictions, this will make for more interesting games and the young kids to learn more about the game and develop! And whilst we are at it, let's make One day games starting from next year to be a colourful and bright spectacle by making colour shirts and white balls compulsory as i have seen Uniting with colour shirts and colour pads and it looks smart and adds to the spectacle. Lets get with the times, who agrees!!

I fully support the idea of a one day season. As much as it doesn't favour my club who have struggled with the format for a few years now, given the unprecedented nature of the season, it makes perfect sense to do so. I don't see much point to the T20 comp however, as a many clubs will have participated in one already.
As for the 38 over format, I too agree that there should be a 45 over innings with the bowling and fielding restrictions you've mentioned, but I fail to agree with the colourful outlook on the "uniforms". For a club like our's that struggles to get money out of individuals, the financial burden is one that could cripple our club. We're battling to keep our I Grade side on the park and it's costing the club money we can't afford to spend, so unless the uniforms were subsidised in some way, we wouldn't be encouraging a move to use coloured pads etc.

I don't agree with changing the competition to a one day format... all it will achieve is change people's habits into committing less to cricket & to the CMCA. Then the next stage will be to reduce the one day format to Twenty 20 format. Then what will be next after that? The competition will become lesser for it.

Only for this season, Sugar. I just don't think there is merit in a season littered with 1 day matches and then a finals series that is played with 72, 65 & 55 over innings'.

I don't agree with changing the season to one day games, it's unfortunate that we've missed so much cricket but the better sides will play well in one or two day games. And i think we should always play in our whites, except the 20/20. Only my thoughts.
It is pretty annoying only playing every second week & it's certainly not helping the liver!!

The continual wash outs are frustrating but it will turn around.I would hate to see a team relegated or promoted on the basis of a season of one day matches.

Afternoon All,

You young bucks need a lesson in history which the well travelled Merlot has been part of far longer than any of you.

The current 38 overs use to be something like 42 odd overs and one of the few good things Barrack did begrudgingly with the help of some smart ( oxymoron ) congress people was to eventually reduce it to 38 overs as many games scheduled to finish at 6 were finishing at anytime between 6:30 and 7 pm.Barrack did not support the reduction when he had his man Chubbs able to bowl the 21 overs all day from his end with Milner bowling the bulk from the other end with Manakis P ( remember him ) bowling a few in between.When the overs were reduced the maximum overs per bowler were also introduced to even things up.

Games couldn't start any early as many players also looked after juniors so the reduction in overs ment your weren't playing under the moon light!!!

Merl over and out.

More or less that may be what happens this year, Clocker. As has been mentioned to me by others, Mackie struggle in the short form because Craig Park can't bowl all day from one end. I'm sure there are others in the same boat. We've been exposed this year so far, but ours is more due to the fact we can't get our best XI on the park in at once. We haven't even fielded a side that contains what I believe to be 8 of our best 11 in one game this year. Consequently, we've been exposed by the restrictions that demand bowlers to bowl overs we wouldn't normally ask of them.

One day finals series, no thanks. Agree totally with Sugar that it can have an ongoing effect as regards commitment etc (hard enough already as Clock has alluded to with Gen Y deciding whether to play cricket for a few weeks and then go surfing when summer hits). Would cheapen the end game and finals is when we get to see the highest standard teams with the best depth doing the bizzo. Good call Merl re. the lengthening of the one day format, simply can't be done for all the reasons you mentioned. Unc, if you can't find 4 guys to give you 9 apiece and then Dougie Walters for the extra couple to round out the 38 then you're gonna struggle in any format the majority of the time. Whilst the CMCA remains competitive, the game is also about participation to some degree as well.

Yes I totally agree Merl that 42 over games were a problem with late finishes as the early starts were unmanageable due to junior games. Actually I remember playing 50 over 'all day' games as a youngster on Australia day (which usually landed between a two day game). Now that was real madness!

One day finals series, no thanks. Agree totally with Sugar that it can have an ongoing effect as regards commitment etc (hard enough already as Clock has alluded to with Gen Y deciding whether to play cricket for a few weeks and then go surfing when summer hits). Would cheapen the end game and finals is when we get to see the highest standard teams with the best depth doing the bizzo. Good call Merl re. the lengthening of the one day format, simply can't be done for all the reasons you mentioned. Unc, if you can't find 4 guys to give you 9 apiece and then Dougie Walters for the extra couple to round out the 38 then you're gonna struggle in any format the majority of the time. Whilst the CMCA remains competitive, the game is also about participation to some degree as well.

I'll have to agree to disagree. I find it hardly a reasonable argument to suggest levels of pariticpation will drop off if this season was to be formatted as a one day season for the remainder of the year - much like the winter competition whereby both weekends are still allocated to the Round, however if a result is achieved on the first weekend the 2nd weekend becomes a "rest day". In the history of the Association I'd like to the statistics for seasons affected by inclement whether to the degree this one has been. For me personally, it doesn't make any sense at all to play 7 of 11 games in the one day format and have the season decided in finals by a format of which a maximum of only 36% of the season has been played. With the current forecast it's possible that Round 5 will need to be re-scheduled as a 1 day game in 2011 making another of our 2 day games a 1 dayer and therefore only 27% of matches this season will have been in the "long" form. I completely agree that it's not an ideal situation and in any normal season I would agree with you, but there has to be some consideration due to the nature of this season being one out of the box.

why cant onedayers just be the same as just about every other comp at 40 overs a piece and 10 overs a bowler and while we are at it make longy AND wooly shields 75 or 80 over days, its a joke the 2nd division of a strong comp like the cmca is playing 65 over days..

Gen Y hate the longer form of the game they like the limited over stuff!
If every side had to bowl 5 bowlers min then young kids will be required to bowl more overs rather then senior players who get thrown the ball most the time and if we move it to 45overs then more batsman will be required also.
In most club's 1st i have notice the young kids generally miss out on a bat and bowl less overs for more senior and older guys.
Let's be honest 12.30pm is not a unreasonable start time for a one day game, yes some people have juniors but it is up to them to make other arrangements or up to the clubs to understand they may miss most of the warm up.
End of the day it is unprecedented and something needs to give way season will become a farce if another wash out happens and we end up playing 9/11 games in a one day format then to roll in 72 overs each final series!

Parker,

Your youthful face belies your years if you can remember the infamous Australia Day games with the compulsory counter lunch and a few pots to quench the thirst of a normally 30 + degrees days.Nice to have someone with similiar thoughts!!

Sledge

Get in touch with reality some junior games would still be packing up or getting the kids home.If you played at Sth Melb and then had to travel to merl's own Chelsea heights you would be lucky to be there by tea time.Also many of our clubs struggle to make ends meet as out lined by Uncle Mick and do not have funds for duplicate uniforms.You are obviously from the affluent sand belt area.

Uncle Mick,

A great pro active thought but far too progressive which would never happen.Barrack prefers to live in the dark age and has a turning circle similiar to the Queen Mary!!!
Unfortunately clubs will just have to adapt to the different forms of the games.Many clubs now wear their training shirts or white shirts with coloured panels which is a cheaper alternative to full blown coloured clothing.Cladds are also a less expensive alternative to coloured pads which many clubs have looked at.

Troy

I suggest you climb back into the wooden horse you will make more sense in there!!!

Merl over and out

Back