City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Regardless of the times something has to change 38 overs is a joke, we are the only competition in Melbourne who plays 38 overs and please don't play the unique card or we are different, we are not with the times and are slow to react, i mean 38 overs with 9 max means a 5th bowler has to bowl 2 is ridiculous might as well make it 36 overs!

Regardless of the times something has to change 38 overs is a joke, we are the only competition in Melbourne who plays 38 overs and please don't play the unique card or we are different, we are not with the times and are slow to react, i mean 38 overs with 9 max means a 5th bowler has to bowl 2 is ridiculous might as well make it 36 overs!

Play on a real surface you hack synthetic comp.

Mick, the reason that bowling restrictions were implemented were to stop clubs like Mackie and Hampton Central who could bowl Park & Maysie all day and effectively making the concept of a one day game a joke.It was even worse in the lower grades where the old workhorses of the competition would just bowl and bowl and use the kids for fielding fodder.That is why they walk away from the game. I appreciate the position of your club, however the development of the game must come first, and really your club needs to make a hard call in the next few years and start developing junior teams to bolster your seniors.

Sledge,clubs like Omega, Bentleigh Uniting(just as examples) have a lot of their seniors looking after their juniors. Now if they play a one day game, in most cases these games finish between 11.45-12.00pm. These coaches then have to; talk to the team,ensure that all the equipment has been collected and put away, fill in the paper work, make sure everyone in their team has a lift home (if they are playing away) organise which kids are playing in their seniors and make sure that they know where they are going or even arrange for them to get to the ground as the parents have other things to do;deal with the ones that pull out for whatever reason and then contact the senior skipper to let them know.Now these coaches and kids will also be quite hungry so the lunch equation comes into it.To make matters worse you then discover you have to play up at Aspendale or Chelsea Heights or Dingley.Frantic calls from the skipper 'where the f&^k are you? Do your sums, and you will quickly discover 30 minutes is not enough time. When these guys do show up they then have to prepare to play, and hope they are not fielding.If they are batting they will probably end up standing in the middle umpiring or scoring.At the end of the day they have to get back to the club after ensuring that all of the equipment has been collected, scores tally up,kids have a lift to the ground or home, and then probably stick around for match reports. In the meantime their wife and/or girlfriend has sent 300 texts wanting to know what time he will be home as they have to go out or are expecting visitors.To top of the day they will probably have some peanut come to them and whinge that something is not upto standard. Do you still believe 12.30pm is not an unreasonable time? What do you think Chooka and OB? Am I wrong or just over reacting?

Love ya work, Clock. That's spot on. Whilst, I agree with sledge that the notion of 38 overs and the set restrictions seems 'unorthodox', it suits the Association for the reasons you've just expressed and those reasons are good enough to keep things the way they are. If people don't like it, there are other competitions they can play in.

As for my club, again I agree. There are a few of us doing what we can to change things, but that doesn't detract from the fact it is what it is at HWCC. I'm not making any excuses for us or for any other club with respect to changing the Association's format. I remember bowling 21 overs a few times in the old format and I don't think the club gained anything out of having 1 player bowl all day from one end. As just expressed, I'm satisifed with how things are nowadays in that regard. My sole argument in this debate is that I don't believe the season should continue in the form of a 72, 65 & 55 innings for season 2010/11.

I also agree with all your points Clock and whilst we dont have juniors i can see how that would be an issue and without starting earlier there is no way we can extend the overs (as much as i would rather play 45 than 38). I have played in 2 matches this season where the full 38 overs were bowled by both teams. 1 match finished at 6.45pm and the other at 7pm. So whilst i would like to see the overs extended i think we just have to suck it up and move on because nothing can really be done about it, given the circumstances.
BTW - 7pm is way to late to be consuming your first ale for a Saturday evening!

Interesting debate on the one day games and bowling restrictions. The general consensus being that the restrictions are there to help the kids to get more of a go. Strongly agree with the theory but then on the flip side shouldn't we have batting restrictions as well? How many of these 'kids who will walk away from the game' would miss out on a bat (or a decent one at least) because of the one day format now? There's probably plenty at clubs now who have hardly had a hit at all this season

Interesting debate on the one day games and bowling restrictions. The general consensus being that the restrictions are there to help the kids to get more of a go. Strongly agree with the theory but then on the flip side shouldn't we have batting restrictions as well? How many of these 'kids who will walk away from the game' would miss out on a bat (or a decent one at least) because of the one day format now? There's probably plenty at clubs now who have hardly had a hit at all this season

You make a good point, however limited overs applies to bowling and not batting and frankly I would hate to see batting restrictions as it would take away from the game.A good skipper will ensure that kids have a hit especially if they are looking to develop their club, otherwise they will either walk away from the game or go to another club. One rule which I would ruthlessly enforce is a time limit of sorts. Basically you should be able to bowl your overs in 2.5 hours ie 15.2 overs per hour.In most cases the team batting first usually meets this target but teams batting second are forced to put up with skippers moving fielders all over the place and taking upto 4 hours as it was in one game I heard about a couple of years ago.

How is it that bowling restrictions add to the game by developing juniors, however batting restrictions take away from the game?

You make a good point, however limited overs applies to bowling and not batting and frankly I would hate to see batting restrictions as it would take away from the game.A good skipper will ensure that kids have a hit especially if they are looking to develop their club, otherwise they will either walk away from the game or go to another club. One rule which I would ruthlessly enforce is a time limit of sorts. Basically you should be able to bowl your overs in 2.5 hours ie 15.2 overs per hour.In most cases the team batting first usually meets this target but teams batting second are forced to put up with skippers moving fielders all over the place and taking upto 4 hours as it was in one game I heard about a couple of years ago.

So conversely a good captain would also ensure developing kids get a bowl too? Very strange logic there I think!

Limited overs I would have thought applies to the number of overs each team bats in a game as well wouldn't it??

Mick & Border,
The concept of one day cricket is to watch batsmen unmercifully thrash the bowlers to all parts,and out of the ground.It is not entertaining to watch a bowler tie up and end with dot ball after dot ball, even though we both know that it is an art to bowl in the right spots and tie up batsmen.Therefore it follows that by forcibly retiring a batsman that has just reached his 50 and is starting to get on with it, that the next batsman will take time to adjust which will be advantageous to the bowlers. Now we know that this cannot be allowed to happen as it is a batsman's game.They even restrict the poor bowler in his field placements.
Is it any wonder that the art of spin will die a slow and unmerciful death at the grass roots level as 20/20 cricket continues to march on and kids will not waste their time trying to bowl it as no one likes to get plundered especially on our small grounds.

Mick, the reason that bowling restrictions were implemented were to stop clubs like Mackie and Hampton Central who could bowl Park & Maysie all day and effectively making the concept of a one day game a joke.It was even worse in the lower grades where the old workhorses of the competition would just bowl and bowl and use the kids for fielding fodder.That is why they walk away from the game. I appreciate the position of your club, however the development of the game must come first, and really your club needs to make a hard call in the next few years and start developing junior teams to bolster your seniors.

Sledge,clubs like Omega, Bentleigh Uniting(just as examples) have a lot of their seniors looking after their juniors. Now if they play a one day game, in most cases these games finish between 11.45-12.00pm. These coaches then have to; talk to the team,ensure that all the equipment has been collected and put away, fill in the paper work, make sure everyone in their team has a lift home (if they are playing away) organise which kids are playing in their seniors and make sure that they know where they are going or even arrange for them to get to the ground as the parents have other things to do;deal with the ones that pull out for whatever reason and then contact the senior skipper to let them know.Now these coaches and kids will also be quite hungry so the lunch equation comes into it.To make matters worse you then discover you have to play up at Aspendale or Chelsea Heights or Dingley.Frantic calls from the skipper 'where the f&^k are you? Do your sums, and you will quickly discover 30 minutes is not enough time. When these guys do show up they then have to prepare to play, and hope they are not fielding.If they are batting they will probably end up standing in the middle umpiring or scoring.At the end of the day they have to get back to the club after ensuring that all of the equipment has been collected, scores tally up,kids have a lift to the ground or home, and then probably stick around for match reports. In the meantime their wife and/or girlfriend has sent 300 texts wanting to know what time he will be home as they have to go out or are expecting visitors.To top of the day they will probably have some peanut come to them and whinge that something is not upto standard. Do you still believe 12.30pm is not an unreasonable time? What do you think Chooka and OB? Am I wrong or just over reacting?

Clock, thanks for detailing a typical Saturday for me.

Best young talent in the cmca?
Plenty from all clubs. Ones that have stood out around top level.

Bentleigh Uniting - Tom Backman, Tim Brisbane
Le Page Park - Justin Greer, Declan Hampton
East Sandringham Boys Club - Luke Manders
Elwood - Obviously Bunting, Harris brothers
Carnegie South - Nick Hulstan, Josh Fisher, Tim Snape
Hampton Central - Nigel Hunt
Bentleigh ANA - Brad Lovell, James White
Washington Park - Adam Matthiesson

Dont get to see much cricket, just going on word of mouth on a few, great to hear others views on these boys?

Absolutely spot on Clocker. You have managed to convey in words exactly what I was thinking. While the one day idea of the uncle has some real merit the contingencies involved, particularly for those involved in the juniors, makes it impossible to start before 1.00pm. Even then it’s a real stretch. Valid points also about the bowling restrictions. Just can’t have one bloke bowling 20 over straight from one end. It will kill all interest in the game.

where have all these newbies come from?

Is it the child hiding under someone's cloak and dagger or has the BCF had a population explosion.

Some very intelligent thoughts along with a nuff nuffs but the BCF is for all shapes and sizes.Maybe a few more could join the Bobby Dazzler and boost the numbers.

Just remember one day cricket is just hit and bash heavily favoured for batsman and the game has changed dramatically since Merl was a young lad.

Merl over and out

I also agree with all your points Clock and whilst we dont have juniors i can see how that would be an issue and without starting earlier there is no way we can extend the overs (as much as i would rather play 45 than 38). I have played in 2 matches this season where the full 38 overs were bowled by both teams. 1 match finished at 6.45pm and the other at 7pm. So whilst i would like to see the overs extended i think we just have to suck it up and move on because nothing can really be done about it, given the circumstances.
BTW - 7pm is way to late to be consuming your first ale for a Saturday evening!

Well Army if the Wanderers did have juniors then there would no conceivable way that you could play juniors on a Saturday considering the distances you would have to travel.Taking 6 hours to complete a 76 over match is a disgrace.Having your first frothy at 7.00pm is a travesty.

Plenty from all clubs. Ones that have stood out around top level.

Bentleigh Uniting - Tom Backman, Tim Brisbane
Le Page Park - Justin Greer, Declan Hampton
East Sandringham Boys Club - Luke Manders
Elwood - Obviously Bunting, Harris brothers
Carnegie South - Nick Hulstan, Josh Fisher, Tim Snape
Hampton Central - Nigel Hunt
Bentleigh ANA - Brad Lovell, James White
Washington Park - Adam Matthiesson

Dont get to see much cricket, just going on word of mouth on a few, great to hear others views on these boys?

Some good names you've got there Roy. I'll comment on a few of my boys at Le Page
Justin Greer (17y/o): Played Longmuir as a 15 year old, then spent a year at Dandenong last year & opened the bowling in their 3rds. He came back to Le Page to play with his mates. He's pretty sharp & should develop into a quality fast bowler. His batting has always been good & should end up batting 5-7 in the next season or 2.
Declan Hampton (16): Took up keeping 18 months ago & has developed very quickly. He nearly averages 1 stumping per game, he's played about a dozen 1st XI games. His batting is developing also.
Micky Deiacovo (16): Very good junior batsman who has made a few scores 20-40 in the 1sts late last year & this year. His left arm spinners have improved a lot and will become a very good all rounder.
Pete Mentiplay (17): Opened the batting last season & started well but faded towards the end a little. His move to no. 5 has helped this year with a couple of 20-30's. Medium pace bowler and a very smart cricketer. He's an outstanding fielder.
All these boys plus a couple in our 2nds have come through juniors together & all should make Le Page a stronger club going forward.

The Panthers have done well Doc, and is has started to turn for your club in the past few seasons.I know how much time your club has invested in these young guys and they seem to be doing the right thing.

Back