City of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2010/11

Mr Parker, Uniting do not pay in cash, they deal in electronic transfers, such are the amounts that are involved.Pretty poor send off if accurately reported.I would have expected a little more originality from the Uniting lads.I wonder if the umpires are too intimated to lift the finger against a couple of the imports? Mr Ernst's loss of weight has corresponded with an alarming loss of form.The clock is ticking and a hard call will have to be made shortly if runs are not forthcoming. He usually enjoys playing against the Mackie lads so it could be the turning point for him.Your point about the Machine is quite valid. It just looks like they have run out of steam and to make matters worse their seconds are stuck on the bottom of Quiney Shield after Army and his Wanderers inflicted another loss. (Army give us an update, this forum is not just for Longmuir and Woolnough.) To make matters worse they had to endure yet another cameo from Mr Campbell who seems to make it a habit against Mackie.Buddha is due for a big one and this has to be the match.Suspect there could be some interesting barbs exchanged.Uniting and Moorabbin West should be a crackerjack game in Wooly.

Uniting and Moorabbin West should be a crackerjack game in Wooly.
Spot on, Clock. The best bowling attack versus the best batting line up for mine. Though word out of the Uniting camp on the weekend is there might be a few missing from the top 2 sides this weekend - which might give the silent one a reprieve and one last chance to get some runs and hold his spot heading into the Xmas break.

Forecast for Saturday

Cloudy. Areas of rain and isolated thunderstorms. Winds northerly averaging 20 to 30 km/h tending southwesterly up to 20 km/h during the afternoon.

City Centre
Chance of storms. Rain.
Min
Max

-This is getting beyond a joke!!

I think everyone is getting used to playing once a fortnight. I am sure some of the veteran bowlers in the competition would appreciate the break ie Botssy.The forecast looks pretty lame compared to previous days so we should be safe.

Ever relaible, Jimmy!
On the flip side Hampton Central's I Grade skipper officially goes down as the biggest f*ckwit in the CMCA. I've never been more incensed by an individual over a game of park cricket. There aren't enough colourful superlatives for me to describe a bloke who denies one of Woolnough players to subfield the final 10 overs of an I Grade match while we already have 2 girls out there subbing and a bloke with cerebral palsy. Who knew that I grade cricket was such a serious sport??

Here it goes again, getting a little boring these defamatory remarks. The accused I grade skipper is a lawyer, who i dare say would not take too kindly to those remarks you pissant.

Your point about the Machine is quite valid. It just looks like they have run out of steam and to make matters worse their seconds are stuck on the bottom of Quiney Shield after Army and his Wanderers inflicted another loss. (Army give us an update, this forum is not just for Longmuir and Woolnough.)

Clock,

I'm happy to give Quiney updates if people care but as you pointed out almost all the talk on here is Longy & Wooly. That doesn’t phase me I just figured no-one really cares to be honest!

We just fell over the line against Mackie (as we did against the Billionaires also). Batted pretty well Lukey (Skipper) got us of to a great start with 85 opening the batting, got good support from Juice (M. Lienert) and Pauly Davis helped bring our score home to a decent 191 at FP No.1. (Yours truly didn’t trouble them at all, in fact I'm pretty sure the 6 stitcher never touched the puma willow I was holding).

We applied great pressure in the field (4 run outs) and in the end Mackie fell 3 runs short. It appeared to me they didn’t have the striking power to get the required boundaries and therefore resorted to some suicide running but make no mistake they almost got chocolates’ in a nail bitter! Juice was undoubtedly our best bowler taking 3/17 of his 9 over’s! (Oh how I can’t wait for a 2 dayer when he bowl all day 1 end)

As for Mackie players that could go up, they were a mix of probably 4 older blokes 35+ (that I don’t think they could/will go up with the possible exception of the captain) and the rest were kids. Some of them look to have potential, whether they are ready for Longy right now is another question! The kid Pahoff that opened the bowling looked a good talent, needs more bowling to tidy up his accuracy a little but a good prospect. I didn’t see any bats that looked up to Longy (one kid made 50odd but he was quite shaky) at this stage.

In other Quiney news it appears the Panthers resurgence in Longy has filtered down to their 2nd’s as they are 4-0 which is a big contrast to the 1.5 games they won for all of last year! Appears the one-dayers may be to their liking! I expect the Sharks to be there abouts again also and their 4-0 certainly wont hurt. After making the big dance last year and getting knocked off by Merl’s own they would have to be firming as early flag favourites!

The billionaires are a good team (for a 3rd XI especially) and I fully expect them to be there abouts. Throw into the mix West Bent, Golfers, Spiders and of course the Wanderers and it is starting to appear like a close top end in Quiney this year!

Army,

My old pre Barrack Guest book buddy Merl has decided to either expand the Merlot Horlicks tipping to include the late great John Quiney shield or introduce a complete new comp called the Bobby Dazzler in honour of John's son Robert or even the Fawkner Park distraction in memory of the many wonderful sights that wandered through the park to take your mind off the cricket.I will decide after a bit of feedback.Merl has no exclusion zone and is happy to discuss all aspects of the pathetic administered league!!

Uncle Mick,

Thanks for pressing the button and flushing the profanitist down the s bend where I hope he drowns and we hear no more of his sewerage!!

The Banjo player was/is a real estate agent and I have no memory of any legal eagle which is all irrelevant considering his disgraceful out of character ( I think ) behaviour onfield

Pahoff has travelled more than the Leylan brothers and the kid actually has a bit of talent with both bat and ball and if my memory ( which is fading ) serves me correctly his old man is tied up with both Richmond cricket and footy clubs.

Merl over and out

Hopefully we get a full 1st weekend of cricket in this week.

My tips for Round 5:

Longmuir:
Hampton Central
Le Page
Elwood
Bentleigh Uniting
E.S.B.C.
Carnegie South

Woolnough:
Washington Park
Asp / Edi RSL
E.S.B.C.
Moorabbin West
Cluden
Chelsea Heights

A few interesting games in Woolnough this week.

Army,

My old pre Barrack Guest book buddy Merl has decided to either expand the Merlot Horlicks tipping to include the late great John Quiney shield or introduce a complete new comp called the Bobby Dazzler in honour of John's son Robert or even the Fawkner Park distraction in memory of the many wonderful sights that wandered through the park to take your mind off the cricket.I will decide after a bit of feedback.Merl has no exclusion zone and is happy to discuss all aspects of the pathetic administered league!!

Uncle Mick,

Thanks for pressing the button and flushing the profanitist down the s bend where I hope he drowns and we hear no more of his sewerage!!

The Banjo player was/is a real estate agent and I have no memory of any legal eagle which is all irrelevant considering his disgraceful out of character ( I think ) behaviour onfield

Pahoff has travelled more than the Leylan brothers and the kid actually has a bit of talent with both bat and ball and if my memory ( which is fading ) serves me correctly his old man is tied up with both Richmond cricket and footy clubs.

Merl over and out

Merl,
I have long wondered who or what was behind the old forum shutdown.
Nice weather (for once) last saturday definately bought the "distractions" out in force!
I would be in the Bobby Dazzler tipping comp.

Bit hard for me to comment on Pahoff's batting because when he came in they needed about 8+ runs per over and he had little choice but to try and get going quickly. Now that you mention that Merl wasnt there a Pahoff invovled in trying to have the RFC board spilled at an EGM under the Casey administration?

Merlot my grumpy old friend, I am some what bemused by your constant attacks on the Executive. Granted two or three seasons ago it was a shambles, and I for one openly admit I was a vociferous critic, but they have definitely lifted their game to the extent that they are quite proactive and have ensured that the competition continues to grow and thrive. They have taken a lot of the criticisms on board and quietly worked to resolve a number of the issues.Your major gripe appears to centre upon the lack of scores in the paper on Sunday mornings, and the wide rule that they were trying to enforce in the 20/20 tournament which they eventually overturned. Yes it is an inconvenience as we all enjoy skimming the scores whilst partaking in our morning cup tea and cereal, but ultimately it comes back to the clubs. I was walking one of my horses through the Benteligh Festival on Sunday and there was Jimmy, mobile phone stuck to one ear and with the other spare ear he was organizing and leading proceedings at the outside broadcast for 88.3. Superb effort; and yet at the end of the day I am sure he was stuck with having to put everything away and cart it off back to the studio.Everyone who has been or is involved in a club environment would appreciate what a shitty job that is, but such are people. Jimmy and his fellow panelist do such a great job for the competition and yet it is taken for granted. I would ask all members and officials of CMCA clubs to make the effort and get the scores faxed in or texted or put into the My cricket system. If necessary a CMCA Tweet could be set up (whatever the hell that is) or even write the scores on a piece of paper and shove them under the door of the studio, or possibly email the scores: SouthernSport@southernfm.com.au or Jimmy could provide an alternative email.

Good post Army, and whilst during the course of the season the Quiney Shield is overlooked it certainly isn’t the case as finals approach and we all check out which team is pushing to gain Woolnough status. It is also good to know if there any up and coming juniors in the system.Chelsea Heights has been a breath of fresh air for the competition and another team like the Wanderers up in Woolnough would certainly make it interesting for the competition, so keep them coming.

I personally believe that the push from CLUBS to get scores in electronically over the past few years is the biggest reason why there is disenchantment over the lack of scores in the Sunday paper. When I was on the CMCA Exec several years ago, there was this force from certain people to "get with the times" and send scores in via email or via the web. I was against it because whether it's on a piece of paper that needs to be faxed, or whether it's punched in electronically, someone still has to spend time filling in content. I accept the Mycricket site is fantastic in securing scorecards and records, but unless all clubs have an active PC with decent Internet speeds at the clubrooms straight after the game, then there will be no ability for everyone to meet the Saturday 7pm deadline. This is unless we go back to faxing the press reports. The CMCA invested in fax machines to support this, so clubs wouldn't need to drive to Brighton Union every Saturday. If the Sunday media outlets are important to us, then I believe that we should be re-thinking the faxing solution, to reduce the pain for guys like Bunter to collect scores via random phone calls & texts.

On a sadder note, a club icon at Bentleigh ANA Bob Arnfield passed away yesterday... the club will be wearing black armbands for Round 5.

I personally believe that the push from CLUBS to get scores in electronically over the past few years is the biggest reason why there is disenchantment over the lack of scores in the Sunday paper. When I was on the CMCA Exec several years ago, there was this force from certain people to "get with the times" and send scores in via email or via the web. I was against it because whether it's on a piece of paper that needs to be faxed, or whether it's punched in electronically, someone still has to spend time filling in content. I accept the Mycricket site is fantastic in securing scorecards and records, but unless all clubs have an active PC with decent Internet speeds at the clubrooms straight after the game, then there will be no ability for everyone to meet the Saturday 7pm deadline. This is unless we go back to faxing the press reports. The CMCA invested in fax machines to support this, so clubs wouldn't need to drive to Brighton Union every Saturday. If the Sunday media outlets are important to us, then I believe that we should be re-thinking the faxing solution, to reduce the pain for guys like Bunter to collect scores via random phone calls & texts..

Sugar, you couldn't be more wrong.

There are many benefits from submitting scores via the internet.

Firstly, there is no double handling of scores (ie there isn't the need for someone to be waiting at the other end to receive the scores and THEN resubmit them to other systems). There is only one source of data. Very efficient.

Secondly, the scores are available to everyone in the world, who may be interested, immediately.

Thirdly, the scores cannot be lost once they are entered via the internet. They are backed up and there forever.

Fourthly, they have the double benefit of producing a statistical repository for every player who has played in the CMCA for their entire career (not to mention that it's extremely efficient for all clubs to work out awards etc at the end of the season).

Fifthly, the statistics can be downloaded from MyCricket and added to a club's private database/website if they so desire, for extra security for their archives.

In the year 2010, it's easier to buy a computer with access to the internet than running a Saturday raffle. A second hand computer for a cricket club for this purpose would cost less than $100 (if an old one isn't donated to the club by a club member) and having access to the internet in 2010 is as common as having a home phone in 1980.

I think the CMCA should be more forthright in it's fines to ensure clubs submit their scores on time. Yes, it's up to the clubs to submit it, but it's also up to the CMCA to crack the whip if they don't.

I too remember driving to Hurly park to submit match reports and, while the move to use faxes was a great improvement and a relief when it was introduced, I think moving the submission of results to the internet was one of the best things the CMCA has done in recent times.

Suggesting that the CMCA go back to using fax machines is the type of backward thinking that would only generate the criticism that the CMCA are desperate to avoid. Not to mention it would add fuel to Merl's fire!

P Parker... you have failed to read my point clearly enough. I absolutely support MyCricket, it's benefits are immense. However, regarding the need for Sunday media information, the faxing is required also.

It might be easy for larger clubs like ANA & Carnegie South, but I disagree that it's easy for ALL clubs to be hooked up online.

Sugar, my point is that we already have a great system in operation that informs everyone very efficiently. It just needs to be enforced correctly and that's where the clubs need to take responsibility and the CMCA need to increase their efforts of enforcement. Double handling infomation only leads to errors and unnecesary extra time and effort.

If a club doesn't have internet access via phone lines from their clubroom, it only takes a USB modem (looks like a memory stick) that plugs into any PC to give instant access to a club PC. If a club doesn't have a PC, then surely someone can enter the match details at their home. ALL clubs would have some type of access to the internet one way or the other each Saturday night.

Yes, the Sunday Media outlets are fantastic and need to be fully supported. The CMCA needs to put some effective incentives in place to ensure clubs update the internet Saturday night and support these media outlets too.

Mr Parker, while I agree in totality with what you have said, I note with interest that the Carnegie South scores weren't up on MyCricket by Sunday lunchtime. Perhaps you could speak to your club about getting the scores online on a Saturday night....?

Unfortunately UM, you make a very good point. Carnegie South's Longy and Quiney Shield skipper's need to lift their game when it comes to ensuring the scores are in by Saturday night. The fact is, there needs to be a lot of improvement across the board on this issue.

Indeed there does. Given the CMCA have admitted to watching the forum and have shown to be proactive, we may soon see penalties for those clubs that consistently fail to comply.
As for your own club, Ian Nash was able to forward a press report through in an email on Saturday night just gone, perhaps he or someone else at the club can enter the scores? It doesn't necessarily have to be the responsibility of the captain. At our club, I try to ensure our sides scores are in on a Saturday night. It only takes one person to chase up the books and enter the scores - be it at the club on a computer or taking them home. If we can all work together and have clubs towing the line, Merl would be a happy man come Sunday morning when he opens the paper. More importantly, Bunter & friends will be able to give us a full account of the previous day's results when he turns on the mic Sundays at 11am.

Evening All

As Merl raises his posting bat for time no 300 he salutes his BCF contempories.However let's get a few things straight.

Clocker,

Guilty as charged Merl is a Grumpy old man but will not tolerate you sticky up for an inept backward congress with a lack of expertise and vision.

How difficult is it to get scores in the paper, on the internet , out to the cricketing public.How difficult is it to insist that clubs put in their Weds 20/20 scores at least the next day.Take away their points and you would soon get them jumping.They need to get some bouncing things and show who is in control and while you have a complete waste of space like the Hamburgler on Congress it is just a joke.Parker I need no fuel for my fire!!

The trumpet player has never observed a BBQ in action and is still to conduct the very successful accreditation process that previously lifted the BBQ standards.Just don't start on the ill conceived ridiculous not thought out wide rule!!

Stop talking about this fax, paper rubbish all the kids have these iphones while Merl still has a brick like phone we need to embrace technology for the better of the comp and get out of the 1950's when Merl was a young lad.Scores could be put on my cricket at 5 past 6 via iphone without a blink of an eye.

Jimmy talks of Condelezza being very good but we need to move on and maybe take up the offer of professional paid support offered but as usual nothing done about it.

If Congress do visit the BCF they are certainly very slow to re act to the many worthwhile suggestions and while you have club reps particularly with coloured caps voting on party lines instead of an independent board a particularly great comp will continue to go backwards.A comp is only as good as it's leader and just like the land of Uncle Sam ours is not that good.

Army

It was Barrack who curtailed guest book debate and while we are now more regulated on the BCF and generally most are well behaved the odd clown does bring down the standards occassionally.

Without mucking around we will run with a separate Bobby Dazzler tipping comp for Quiney shield commencing this round .The draw is as follows:

Quiney

Bentleigh Uniting 3 v Southside East Caulfield 1
Washington Park 2 v Hampton Central 2
Melbourne Wanderers 1 v Elwood 2
Kingston Heath 2 v Carnegie South 2
Cheltenham Park 1 v Mackie 2
West Bentleigh 2 v Le Page Park 2

You can be in both or just the Bobby Dazzler.

It has been a big 300th post but Merl might be old and grumpy but he has a detached attachment to the CMCA and has now followed it for some 50 to 60 years and will not sit back and accept the current mediocrity.

Merl over and out

Back