City Of Moorabbin Cricket Association 2011/12

What do we all think of the new one day rules for Longy?

I have a real issue with the fielding restrictions ARM. Do we need to give umpires more hassles to deal with other than getting decisions correct?

As well as that.. the "fast short pitched delivery"... now the umps are the ones who have to decide who is capable of playing a short ball and who isnt. Surely If you are playing the top grade in the assoc. then you should be capable/expected to handle them.

Mind boggling.

Late starts will allow returning away playing sides to return and catch some of the big dance. this is the only interesting rule i dont have an issue with. can the away team say "sorry mate, one of our blokes has a wedding/21st/bar mitzvah etc etc, so bad luck?"

Furthermore, am I right to assume by the wording of the fielding restrictions, as the ball is released, fielders can move quickly back into the circle?

I have a real issue with the fielding restrictions ARM. Do we need to give umpires more hassles to deal with other than getting decisions correct?

As well as that.. the "fast short pitched delivery"... now the umps are the ones who have to decide who is capable of playing a short ball and who isnt. Surely If you are playing the top grade in the assoc. then you should be capable/expected to handle them.

Mind boggling.

Late starts will allow returning away playing sides to return and catch some of the big dance. this is the only interesting rule i dont have an issue with. can the away team say "sorry mate, one of our blokes has a wedding/21st/bar mitzvah etc etc, so bad luck?"

I must say i like the leg rule. I played in a one dayer last year and I'm certain one bowler in particular was deliberately bowling down leg side but inside the 900mm line as a defensive tactic to stop runs!

Also I understand what you are saying about the umps but you would surely admit that there is something not right about a team having every fielder on the boundary and therefore something needs to be done?

Played a practice game v the Ommies on the weekend. Game played in great spirit. They have plenty of talented youth to show that their future is very bright. Good luck to Ivan, Tim and the rest of the lads for the coming season.

Would love to place a bet on relegation? What odds can you give me for the Media sluts at ANA in Longmuir? Great work big dunc, you obviously read the rule changes correctly. You can have as many inside the circle as you want, it's to stop teams from being over defensive and having 6-7 on the fence which makes for very negative cricket. So you can still have your 3 slips, gully, short leg and mid on and mid off!

2.2 During the first 10 overs of an innings, only 2 fieldsmen shall be permitted outside this fielding restriction area at the instant of delivery.

I propose we amend this rule to state that if the ball is struck outside the circle that the bowler is required to field the delivery.
The old bowler gets it rule. Worked well when we were kids.
Good luck if you see any spinners playing in the one dayers.

3. THE BOWLING OF FAST SHORT PITCHED BALLS
The Rules of Cricket shall apply, as per the following extract:-.
(i) The bowling of fast short pitched balls is dangerous and unfair if the umpire at the bowler's end considers that by their repetition and taking into account their length, height and direction they are likely to inflict physical injury on the striker, irrespective of the protective equipment he may be wearing. The relative skill of the striker shall be taken into consideration.
(ii) Any delivery which, after pitching, passes or would have passed over head height of the striker standing upright at the crease, although not threatening physical injury, shall be included with bowling under (i) both when the umpire is considering whether the bowling of fast short pitched balls has become dangerous and unfair and after he has so decided. The umpire shall call and signal No ball for each such delivery.

I propose that we amend this rule to state that the art of the back foot shot is now dead so if any bowler dares to pitch it short (except a spinner) you face summary suspension and the loss of 50 runs as batsmen have become a bunch of whining pussies.

Proposed change
7. In accordance with Green policy on social change no player is allowed to say anything that may be considered offensive or likely to hurt the feelings of anyone participating in a game. We encourage group hugs of opponents and if a batsmen is dismissed first ball; the said batsmen cannot be given out as the can't go out first ball law will apply. Thank you to Sarah Hansen Young for her input into this ground breaking amendment.

8. All grounds will be carbon neutral by 2012, and only vegetarian food to be served at tea and at club canteens.

2.2 During the first 10 overs of an innings, only 2 fieldsmen shall be permitted outside this fielding restriction area at the instant of delivery.

I propose we amend this rule to state that if the ball is struck outside the circle that the bowler is required to field the delivery.
The old bowler gets it rule. Worked well when we were kids.
Good luck if you see any spinners playing in the one dayers.

3. THE BOWLING OF FAST SHORT PITCHED BALLS
The Rules of Cricket shall apply, as per the following extract:-.
(i) The bowling of fast short pitched balls is dangerous and unfair if the umpire at the bowler's end considers that by their repetition and taking into account their length, height and direction they are likely to inflict physical injury on the striker, irrespective of the protective equipment he may be wearing. The relative skill of the striker shall be taken into consideration.
(ii) Any delivery which, after pitching, passes or would have passed over head height of the striker standing upright at the crease, although not threatening physical injury, shall be included with bowling under (i) both when the umpire is considering whether the bowling of fast short pitched balls has become dangerous and unfair and after he has so decided. The umpire shall call and signal No ball for each such delivery.

I propose that we amend this rule to state that the art of the back foot shot is now dead so if any bowler dares to pitch it short (except a spinner) you face summary suspension and the loss of 50 runs as batsmen have become a bunch of whining pussies.
Couldn't agree more! How is a ball over the batters head while standing considered dangerous? part (i) is even more ridiculous... If you can't play the short ball in park cricket then go play tennis or something!
Obs so far on posts:
  • Interesting odds by 'cmca' - can't see why Uniting would not start easy favourites in Longy, and be better bets in Wooly too. So us Sharks are in the game of the year then - round 1? Interesting to see what the Gardeners bring to the table next week. Manders should make a big difference to their batting, as their bowling wasn't bad last year, and he will step in nicely for Shelton on the bowling front. Christ - I better get to training then :)
  • Personally think Bit Rich's odds are closer to the mark... Sharks at $3, hmmm, pressure on!
  • No way would Hume leave the Heighters. I hope he goes well in Longy, as he's a good young talent that needs a decent challenge at his age. he won't like the new rules, as he likes them short! Will be a bit quicker in Longy though.
  • I hope the Westars haven't lost that many players.... ??
As for the Sharks, we've lost a couple but picked up a new 1sts captain. (Grand Final loss took it's toll ;) tough school at Packer) - who can bat, and bowl decent leggies also. Relying on the youth again, and hopefully getting some of our 5ths 'talent' from last playing in the top grades where they can really help out.
go the pies.

Nothing like an amendment to the rules to fire up "The Timepiece". Agree with Spongy & Clockman though and am glad I'm not kicking it around anymore, no short balls and no leg side bowling eliminates my entire repertoire of strokes. Whatever happened to all balls outside leg getting despatched to the boundary and the same with short s hit?
Season preview to be added on Monday, not a heap of movement of players but a few clubs hinging hopes on last minute big gun recruits.

Nothing like an amendment to the rules to fire up "The Timepiece". Agree with Spongy & Clockman though and am glad I'm not kicking it around anymore, no short balls and no leg side bowling eliminates my entire repertoire of strokes. Whatever happened to all balls outside leg getting despatched to the boundary and the same with short s hit?
Season preview to be added on Monday, not a heap of movement of players but a few clubs hinging hopes on last minute big gun recruits.

Im with you jib Bob, bowling leggies (poor ones at that i know!!) that turn a country mile, usually pitching outside leg stump & like the short s. hit also with bat in hand..

& would also eliminate your ferocious short pitched Bowling as well Jimmy..haha!!

the short pitched rule does seem to leave a massive 'grey area' as to its wording, can see this one casuing a few arguments late in games when light might be at a premium early season.. should make it a bit more rigid like the leg side wide, over shoulder is a no-ball.. No questions, simple guide lines

"& would also eliminate your ferocious short pitched Bowling as well Jimmy..haha!!"

FOCPMATIMHDMANIO

Fell Off Chair Pissing Myself And Think I May Have Done Myself A Nasty Injury...ouch

Would love to place a bet on relegation? What odds can you give me for the Media sluts at ANA in Longmuir? Great work big dunc, you obviously read the rule changes correctly. You can have as many inside the circle as you want, it's to stop teams from being over defensive and having 6-7 on the fence which makes for very negative cricket. So you can still have your 3 slips, gully, short leg and mid on and mid off!

Thanks Casp. Wasnt aware the CMCA was flooded with calls from the general public to make the game appeal to the 100s of spectators.

I have to say I was pretty impressed with the President's and Secretary's night last night. Short and succinct (compared to previous years). Umpire numbers still seem to be a major concern though...

Isn't that short pitch rule is all cricket???
My understanding is that it is, i got pulled up with it once after bowling a few too many bouncers in a row, shouldn't come into any of the games here but it should be a wide if the ball is above the batters head and doesnt come into contact with anything of the batters. If he hits the ball I think its fair game and can be caught, would hate to see a bat get given not out because the Umpire thought the ball was above his head, happened once and just shouldn't happen again

Must say, that's a bit of a surprise and he's not denying it. Starting to build a formidable side at the Heights. Certainly not mucking around in making a fist of it in the top flight.

Must say, that's a bit of a surprise and he's not denying it. Starting to build a formidable side at the Heights. Certainly not mucking around in making a fist of it in the top flight.
Agree Mick,
With Shelts and Ant opening, and their young BIG inswinging quick (Erish) probably adding a yard this year it makes for a good line up - not forgetting Ez being the 'dependable' one from either end. Looking good at this stage. May surprise a few this year me thinks, and good on em. They've worked hard to get from Quiney to the dance in 2 years, so it would be good to see them make a good fist of it. Their batting will be tested with Brad, Humey, and Ez the backbone, based on last year - I saw a bit too much of it last year to be honest, 3 times in 4 weeks!! :eek:

Back