Cmca 2012/13

Uncle Mick
Is it true your playing for east sandy for the rest of season or you still climbing out Martos
Ass . Get some wickets or just do something .Great knock by biggsy on weekend .
From start to finish everything came out of the middle ,quality bat
Maybe best in comp ?

Can anyone also confirm that Phillips left highett west because flahive is on a power trip? Heard the man himself is treating his players like shit and is taking the opinions to better the club for a grain of salt, if so it's sad because let's face it they can't afford to be losing players like Chris let alone any type of player....

Any chance some grown ups can get on board? For what it's worth, it is being said that C Richards was called when Uniting were 5 for whatever they were heading towards tea. He turned up around tea at which point they were 6 down. Given he batted at 9 it adds weight to the story, however I find it hard to believe a 'ring in' would bat at 9 and was curious to know whether there was substance to it or whether it was a disgruntled opponent unhappy with how things operate at Centenary - such was the way the story was told.
You kids can pot UM all you like. I'm merely putting up a story that others are happy to discuss around the traps without getting clarity.

Mick, even if ur rumour is true, it doesn't sound like any rules were broken... So I don't see the big deal and the need to jump on uniting for something the cmca rules let you do. If a team sheet doesn't have to be handed in until tea u can change ur team right up to that point.... Its a loop hole but no rules have been broken. It's a massive frustration for a lot of captains, no other comp I know of has this rule... So if its there captains will use it. I know I have in the past and will again if need be to get the best result for my club.

Speaking of grown ups ur a 40 year old key board warrior, grow up and stop pot shots at clubs, do u care to put your view across on Chris Phillips?

Biggsie, as stated, I'm merely relaying what I was told. A few people from the same club thought it was Uniting doing as they do, but as I said, and as you've said there's nothing that says it can't be done. The only concern I would have if it's true is that someone has been dropped halfway through an innings. Pretty stiff and you have to ask how serious park cricket is getting if those kind of decisions are being made. Otherwise, it was a stroke of genius for it to have paid off so handsomely.

I
Biggsie, as stated, I'm merely relaying what I was told. A few people from the same club thought it was Uniting doing as they do, but as I said, and as you've said there's nothing that says it can't be done. The only concern I would have if it's true is that someone has been dropped halfway through an innings. Pretty stiff and you have to ask how serious park cricket is getting if those kind of decisions are being made. Otherwise, it was a stroke of genius for it to have paid off so handsomely.

Longy is professional park cricket. People play for keeps. Off the field most of us get a long. But on the field every game is important not just for the people playing but people around clubs. So captains and players do everything in their power to win and get 6 points. and with the top 4-5 so close its important to get the best for ur club and from my experience sounds like a great bit of captaincy.

From what I have been told this rule will be change to team sheets before the game next year... But when ever there are rules, captains and players will look manipulate them to get the best result for their club.

In fairness to UM, I think the question's just been raised to confirm if it was a legitimate tactic. Nothing was raised as to whether it was legal or not. It's an interesting discussion, and the defensiveness of some suggest it might be true.

I think being the opposition's captain I feel the need to comment here.
I was unaware of this but not surprised. If I was in a simular situation and had the choice
Of bringing in someone from the twos to bolster the order during a collapse but before lunch
Was called, well I would due to it not being against the rules.
Anyone recall last year in the finals when I was absent day one yet glen was happy for me
To bat on day 2?
Fair enough I'm average at best and richo has me covered, but end of the day it's a game.
I don't think his tactics were bad in any sense. If you think about it, it's a smart move that I couldn't counter.
Bravo glen.
Good point that it's park cricket, but if I'm paying a few hundred a year to play we deserve a fair contest.
If it's not in the rule book then it's fair. Game on boys.

Just because it is allowed because a rule doesn't stipulate you can't do it, doesn't mean that its ok though.

Take Victoria Azarenka for example, Took an injury timeout because she was choking, and made Sloane Stephens wait and hopefully slow her momentum. Used the rule to her advantage and was viewed as unsportsmanlike and sub-sequentially was booed on court in the final.

Personally i'm not a fan of the situation, same as naming sub fielders week 1, and bring in batsmen week 2.

CMCA needs to close these types of loop holes, hand in your team sheet before the toss of the coin.

But Bravo, Extremely smart move that has potentially saved them the game.

Just because it is allowed because a rule doesn't stipulate you can't do it, doesn't mean that its ok though.

Take Victoria Azarenka for example, Took an injury timeout because she was choking, and made Sloane Stephens wait and hopefully slow her momentum. Used the rule to her advantage and was viewed as unsportsmanlike and sub-sequentially was booed on court in the final.

Personally i'm not a fan of the situation, same as naming sub fielders week 1, and bring in batsmen week 2.

CMCA needs to close these types of loop holes, hand in your team sheet before the toss of the coin.

But Bravo, Extremely smart move that has potentially saved them the game.

Rdh, from what I know this rule will be changed in longy and maybe wooly but will remain in lower grades because its hard enough fielding teams. But I have been told its a issue that will be addressed by the cmca over winter. But reality is good captains and coaches will always find a way to bend the rules to get the result for their team. And when the stakes are high at the end of the season it always get interesting to watch and see which teams make the right moves. Good on glen for taking a gamble... It clearly paid off. It's why they are the bench mark team in the comp.

Very clever/tactical decision. I have no issues with it as it is well within the rules. Funny Bunting described this exact same situation happening in a pre-season captains meeting and suggested it change. The executive obviously didn't like it.

Personally, I think the teams should be given at the start of play, not before the toss. We used this to our advantage this season when three of us had a wedding. We did also take the risk and play a "bowler" when we bowled week 1 meaning that we would bat one short the following week.

I'm for allowing subs for people that can only play one week for two reasons:
1) Keeps the best players playing in the top grade
2) Stops a Longmuir player going down a few grades and slapping up 160* against lesser bowlers

Biggsy,
I think I just need to be a little more cut throat..
My moral compass can be out of whack at times, not sure why it bothers me.. The 10 other guys that i walk onto the field with should be the team playing the entire match.. Just a little old fashioned I guess..
If I was captain maybe I'd view it differently..

Marto,
Fair point you raise.. Hate to think what you'd do to a lower grades bowling attack.. Think there would be some distraught guys losing sleep that weekend..

Marto - 100% spot on with what you've said re: sub-fielders, but this topic goes beyond subs.
And Biggsie, there's a difference between professional cricket and having a level of professionalism to your cricket. We're not "professional park cricket" until such time as there are no restrictions on professional/paid players.
Let me play the devil's advocate;
As has been the general consensus, what happened on Saturday (if true) was a genius tactical move. But (again, if true) what of the player who was dropped from the side mid-innings? Understandably, Glen is in the business of winning games and is remunerated to do so, justifying his decision, but there are those that aren't and as a consequence someone is pretty stiff to miss out here.
To put it in context, Biggsie, how would Matty Lloyd or Ryan Dolman have felt on Saturday if at 5/80 you decided that they would make way for an extra batsmen?

Well I can't speak on their behalf (my players) but i play to win as do they, but we are different position to uniting. Our best 11 play each week. End of story. Most clubs don't have the depth as uniting have. To play around with their team.

What Marto has suggested makes sense and would work as I know we did the same things in games. But it does need to be more clear cut.

And I'm not gonna sling poo around but if u think clubs are only paying two players in their teams ur kidding your self. That's why I say it's "professional park cricket" we have professional players, and we have guys who train twice a week, we have coaches of our clubs, there is no doubt it's becoming more and more professional, I think it's great!!

Back