Country Week 2009/2010

Re: Country Week 2008/2009

a for effort is an over protective body guard for the rissole, wont put my post back up that had no swearing or threatening language in it at all. wont even give me right of reply, hmmm, maybe he really like rissole meat.

ants14;281102 said:
maybe the little bald bulldog scown was a bit stuff, dominating with the ball this year. and i agree with rissole, hodgy and stanley bit stiff as well. congrats to becker, 16 year old kid maken that squad is a tremendous effort

This is by no means sour grapes but, those who played last year and didn't at least make the initial squad this year should be a little dissappointed. Big names from certain clubs will not win you a Country Week Title.

Dragon's Lair;282154 said:
This is by no means sour grapes but, those who played last year and didn't at least make the initial squad this year should be a little dissappointed. Big names from certain clubs will not win you a Country Week Title.

So you mean a team of champions doesn't always beat a champion team. . . :D

thommy_rissole;281389 said:
Double peanut :rolleyes: nice one.

B.Smiljanic is excluded because he is already in the squad, does the complexity of the english language often effect you?

The whole basis of my point had nothing to do with Smiljanic or any player in the squad who is from Division 2 (the other being S.Illingworth).

I'll answer your off-track question: Smelly is better than the majority of players in the initial squad and i think if available he would be in the slected XI.

But i still don't think you can comprehend my point, unlike most people in here.

Once again SBoW was referring to the difference in standard between Division 1 & 2.

I will now spell it out for you.

There is no player from Division 2, who deserves a spot in the squad over someone who is from Division 1 who is already in the squad.

I'll give you a demostration.

Take myself as an example.

Eg: Sean O'Neill doesn't deserve to be in the squad over any of the players who are in the squad already who are from Division 1.

So get all the players in a list who are from Division 1 who are in the squad.
Put my name next to them.
I am not worthy of being picked in front of them.

If you can't follow that then i think you need to re-evaluate a few things.

hey rissole give up..... its hard for the meatball to understand whats going on here!!:confused::confused:

read his original comment all you little boys from godfrey street, you might actually comprehend it then change your mind.

Dragon's Lair;282494 said:

Quality squad, interesting to see who can't play like every other year. If only it was a perfect world im sure the cup would be in reaching distance on past form. . .

Congratulations to Steve Illingworth who has been picked as an emergency in the VCCL team for the Australian Championships, along with Hornett and Fergy.

Interesting dilemma: is he a gaurantee to be picked in the Geelong team if everyone is available?

glad somebody said it, i didnt want to be the first. i dont think he will be picked if everyone is available

ants14;285307 said:
glad somebody said it, i didnt want to be the first. i dont think he will be picked if everyone is available

By everyone available do you mean all the fast bowlers that were selected?

Renny24;285309 said:
By everyone available do you mean all the fast bowlers that were selected?

Yes, that what my comment was based upon :)

If everyone was made available, I personally think he will make the 13 man squad but won't be picked in the "best" 11.

Morgan, Anderton, Marsland, Haunstein, Yelland and Loftus will make it hard for him to get into the starting XI, if he is being picked as a bowler.

thommy_rissole;285314 said:
Yes, that what my comment was based upon :)

If everyone was made available, I personally think he will make the 13 man squad but won't be picked in the "best" 11.

Morgan, Anderton, Marsland, Haunstein, Yelland and Loftus will make it hard for him to get into the starting XI, if he is being picked as a bowler.

Riss, obviously what you have said, i would assume would be the case. However, his form would have obviously got him in the squad; 25wkts @ 7.76 and 232 runs @ 38.67. Also the fact that he opened the bowling in 3 of the 5 games at last year's CW yielding around 10 wkts. Morgan, Loftus would take spots as batsmen also.

Fact is, there are not too many out and out fast bowlers around the GCA at present. Other than Anderton and Harper, it is slim pickings.

Renny24;285322 said:
Riss, obviously what you have said, i would assume would be the case. However, his form would have obviously got him in the squad; 25wkts @ 7.76 and 232 runs @ 38.67. Also the fact that he opened the bowling in 3 of the 5 games at last year's CW yielding around 10 wkts. Morgan, Loftus would take spots as batsmen also.

Fact is, there are not too many out and out fast bowlers around the GCA at present. Other than Anderton and Harper, it is slim pickings.

What about faulkhead from BPH, He lets them go a bit and can bat, and obviously played VCA 1sts. Would get plenty of wickets in VCCL. . .

Jurassic Park;285328 said:
What about faulkhead from BPH, He lets them go a bit and can bat, and obviously played VCA 1sts. Would get plenty of wickets in VCCL. . .

Must not have been nominated by his club or failing that, was available for try-outs? Certainly I can see that he is in the CW squad.

Renny24;285322 said:

You could include Marsland in that category also.

Whilst i'm not disregarding Illingworth's performances so far, the fact remains that 20 of the 25 wickets were taken against teams who most probably won't feature in finals in Division 2 this season.

I think he is a very good player but if i was to select a team to play the CW final, with all the squad available i don't think i would have him in my XI.
That's just my opinion, for all those players who haven't played against Steve or seen him play; he is a good honest pace and moves it off the seam a fair amount and is difficult to score off. Very fit and can bowl long spells. Definitely the stand-out bowler in Division 2, no doubt about it.

For the record, this would be my Geelong Squad for CW:

1. Smiljanic
2. Baars
3. Bambury
4. Talarico
5. Haunstein
6. Ferguson
7. Loftus
8. Morgan
9. Anderson
10. Anderton
11. Marsland
12. Koliba
13. Yelland

This is the Grand Final team from last season:

H Bush
S Hall
M Kelson
T Clark
B Haunstein
R Kiddle
M Troy
S Illingworth
C Booley
R Zanoni
B Anderton
B Scown

thommy_rissole;285353 said:
You could include Marsland in that category also.

Whilst i'm not disregarding Illingworth's performances so far, the fact remains that 20 of the 25 wickets were taken against teams who most probably won't feature in finals in Division 2 this season.

I think he is a very good player but if i was to select a team to play the CW final, with all the squad available i don't think i would have him in my XI.
That's just my opinion, for all those players who haven't played against Steve or seen him play; he is a good honest pace and moves it off the seam a fair amount and is difficult to score off. Very fit and can bowl long spells. Definitely the stand-out bowler in Division 2, no doubt about it.

illingworth would definatly be in my team, he gives his all, leaves nothing behind and has a real love of the game. (guess u could say his a nerd:D)
CW is a very tough week!!! just ask zanoni. marsy is a fast bowler and goes pretty good but as for CW, just dont think he would be up 2 it.
on results from last year he would be nearly 1st picked.
i played in a few CW andwent away with a some great teams that struggled, last year was the best out of the lot, without the big names.

thommy_rissole;285357 said:
For the record, this would be my Geelong Squad for CW:

1. Smiljanic
2. Baars
3. Bambury
4. Talarico
5. Haunstein
6. Ferguson
7. Loftus
8. Morgan
9. Anderson
10. Anderton
11. Marsland
12. Koliba
13. Yelland

This is the Grand Final team from last season:

H Bush
S Hall
M Kelson
T Clark
B Haunstein
R Kiddle
M Troy
S Illingworth
C Booley
R Zanoni
B Anderton
B Scown

Koliba Unavailable but im sure Illingworth would be a handy replacement. Obviously need a strike bowler if the big fella doesnt play im sure you would have to include Faulkhead. Fanning a bit unlucky not to be picked. . .

Good team though Seany. . .

Renny24;285322 said:

Better check your facts there Renny. I don't think he opened in any of the games. Also you can't compere his stats to those of Division 1 bowlers, completely different opposition. Can we also get him out of the fast bowlers catergory. Medium alrounder would sum it up better. Get your St. Peters cap off and look around Div 1. At least 5 if not more ahead of him

Babies Arm;285441 said:
illingworth would definatly be in my team, he gives his all, leaves nothing behind and has a real love of the game. (guess u could say his a nerd:D)
CW is a very tough week!!! just ask zanoni. marsy is a fast bowler and goes pretty good but as for CW, just dont think he would be up 2 it.
on results from last year he would be nearly 1st picked.
i played in a few CW andwent away with a some great teams that struggled, last year was the best out of the lot, without the big names.

Be interesting who has pulled out of CW. Babies Arm your old man would no, whats the update???

Back