Country Week 2009/2010

Re: Country Week 2008/2009

Waurn Ponds forever;374126 said:
Damien Port has taken 14 wickets at 6 and made more than 150 runs. He also has extensive Div1 experience, having made 55 in a 1st XI grand final. What has a certain Thomson co-coach done?

2008/09: 232 runs @ 21
2009/10: 136 runs @ 34 HS 43.

Porty's going alright but these figures don't really jump out at you. Valid with the 55 in a Div 1 GF but that was about 5 years ago.

PS. Nick Hill (G West) has also been added to the squad but not published.

really all these names getting thrown around... let all get on the tom aldridge bandwagon.. wat about our own ants... took almost the same amount of wicket last year.. probably close to the same this year... has made runs in crucial stages.. yet fights to save the back of his team mates rather then put his own name up there..

there can only be so many spots for all these good cricketers.. dont go jumping on the back of 1 bloke whose done something decent for once.. wen hes actually sposed to be doing that each week

thommy_rissole;374094 said:
Lets not play the name game, the point of my argument is that his figures are as good, if not better then some other players selected.

He is quite a handy bowler who has had no outside coaching from any development programs or hasn't been in any Barwon squads as a junior. Has self learnt his own craft.

NOTE: Also does help when you have one of the better keepers in the competition up to the stumps whipping the bails off on anything that strays down the legside.

O'Neill?

I Bowl Meat Pies;374204 said:
really all these names getting thrown around... let all get on the tom aldridge bandwagon.. wat about our own ants... took almost the same amount of wicket last year.. probably close to the same this year... has made runs in crucial stages.. yet fights to save the back of his team mates rather then put his own name up there..

there can only be so many spots for all these good cricketers.. dont go jumping on the back of 1 bloke whose done something decent for once.. wen hes actually sposed to be doing that each week

I'd use a blackboard and chalk if i could boys! Honestly.... Final time of trying....

Not jumping on anyone's bandwagon, just using him as one example. As his coach at TCC, i'm sure TA would be the first to admit he's probably not at that level just yet. He is maybe a yard short of pace to really trouble the top players. However, he is very very good at what he does and other guys with less numbers have been given a go infront of TA, AND OTHERS, this year and before!!!

The squad appears to have a core of certainties, and others, like Sean and maybe Deano (i know he played last year), that will play many country weeks in years to come, but being in the squad surrounds them with the good players to learn from, and gives them a chance at least to train with these guys. Valuable experience going forward.

I'm sure there'll be other guys called up when 3/4 inevitably drop out from this squad.

P.S - You very own "Ants" would fit into this argument. Oh, how i wish i had now used him as an example....

Waurn Ponds forever;374126 said:
Damien Port has taken 14 wickets at 6 and made more than 150 runs. He also has extensive Div1 experience, having made 55 in a 1st XI grand final. What has a certain Thomson co-coach done?

I have heard the Waurn Ponds cricketers were good at catching fish, none biting here though. Salts isn't in the squad (but for the record has won a couple of Div 2 Thomas Jeweller Cricketer of the Year - just ask him he loves his watches). Port would score too slow for 50-over cricket.

Murray unlucky, but not everyone can fit in the squad. Personally would have him in there in front of a couple of players (and before you ask Ants, I'm not going to name names).

If everyone is available, will the final XIII taken away be the best ever compiled by the GCA? - Batting wise surely it will be.

I Bowl Meat Pies;374204 said:

not yet man, but thanks for the consideration. maybe next year, depending on how i go this year

thommy_rissole;374231 said:
I have heard the Waurn Ponds cricketers were good at catching fish, none biting here though. Salts isn't in the squad (but for the record has won a couple of Div 2 Thomas Jeweller Cricketer of the Year - just ask him he loves his watches). Port would score too slow for 50-over cricket.

Murray unlucky, but not everyone can fit in the squad. Personally would have him in there in front of a couple of players (and before you ask Ants, I'm not going to name names).

If everyone is available, will the final XIII taken away be the best ever compiled by the GCA? - Batting wise surely it will be.

NAMESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nar murray, ive never seen play before so i am not even going to comment.

i do agree that it could be the strongest side on paper. but what is that saying? a champion team will always beat a team of champions?

Re: Country Week 2009/2010

Geelong had Warnambool at 4-75 off 25 at drinks when i left earlier. Jarran Cook and Scowny opened the bowling, looked like they were bowling pretty well, Scowny maybe a bit uncomfortable bowling into the wind and uphill. Poor bald fella. Anyway, first wicket was a run out, then Hauenstein took two wickets in two balls to break a partnership, then he got a third a couple of overs later.

ants14;388483 said:
Geelong had Warnambool at 4-75 off 25 at drinks when i left earlier. Jarran Cook and Scowny opened the bowling, looked like they were bowling pretty well, Scowny maybe a bit uncomfortable bowling into the wind and uphill. Poor bald fella. Anyway, first wicket was a run out, then Hauenstein took two wickets in two balls to break a partnership, then he got a third a couple of overs later.

Geelong got easily beaten by the minow of Provincial today, Kyabram. Fair effort considering there league only has 6 teams and draws off a population of 7000 people.

BC Lara;388713 said:
Geelong got easily beaten by the minow of Provincial today, Kyabram. Fair effort considering there league only has 6 teams and draws off a population of 7000 people.

that is the beauty of cricket, one or two good players can make a pretty good team. Then one or two bad shots or good balls can turn the result of a game quickly. But in saying that Geelong should win against a side from that area so well done to the Kyabram side !

That explains the mex's message then. He made 0 in the first and 2 in the second innings, apparently they were just meant to go for the slog for 2 overs.

ants14;388896 said:
That explains the mex's message then. He made 0 in the first and 2 in the second innings, apparently they were just meant to go for the slog for 2 overs.

They sure showed them then !! Slogging 7 runs off 2 overs !! Look out when they have a Country Week T20 Competition !! hehe

ants14;388896 said:
ahh good to see the mex is still in form... look out saturday.. hope he isnt required

Back