Country Week 2009/2010

Re: Country Week 2008/2009

ants14;373845 said:
Hows he go? Who is he like ability wise?
from all reports hes a big hitter of the ball.. made 180 in a 20/20 game last year in a scratch match with one of there neighbouring towns

ants14;373845 said:
Hows he go? Who is he like ability wise?

I Bowl Meat Pies;373853 said:
from all reports hes a big hitter of the ball.. made 180 in a 20/20 game last year in a scratch match with one of there neighbouring towns

Apparently he bowls fairly sharp and gives the ball a whack, we haven't played them yet so I'm not too sure who to compare him to.

I think he might of trained with South Barwon last year, Daz might know more.

Tom Aldridge from Torquay.
08'-09' 30 wickets @ 12.
09-10- 11 wickets @ 8.

What more can the kid do to get the recognition he deserves?

Any thoughts?

Rissole I know your a massive Aldridge fan...

hope they pick the squad on current performances, would be good to see the trophy come home at last. does anyone know the last time geelong won it.

beaublazer;373861 said:
08'-09' 30 wickets @ 12.
09-10- 11 wickets @ 8.

Any thoughts?

Nothing against him, but he wouldn't be up to it.
Divi 2 1sts compared to the best in the state.
Plus, name one player you'd have him in before?

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;373857 said:
Apparently he bowls fairly sharp and gives the ball a whack, we haven't played them yet so I'm not too sure who to compare him to.

I think he might of trained with South Barwon last year, Daz might know more.

he is not too bad, not sure how his batting would go against some of the better division one bowlers but he obviously has a good eye and a decent whack to boot !! His bowling is very sharp also, although we never got the chance to see his full worth as he only played one outdoor practice game with us. If you want to see him in action and have nothing on on Sunday then come down to the sand pit at South Barwon to watch him in a T20. South Barwon take on Teesdale in our qualifying game for the Kookaburra cup at 11am this Sunday. Anyone that mentions Big Cricket over the bar can get their Carlton stubbies for $2.50. Just tell them Prez sent you !!

ants14;373863 said:
Nothing against him, but he wouldn't be up to it.
Divi 2 1sts compared to the best in the state.
Plus, name one player you'd have him in before?

Got him! Gone!

He gets more wickets than Steve Illingworth and Dean Riches...... (Devils Advocate before you all get your knickers in a twist)

Plus Ants, not much of an argument when there are several Div2 and 1 Div3 players in the squad.

Re: Country Week 2009/2010

But those div 2 or div 3 players have already proven themselves at a higher level, whether it be divi 1 cricket, or representative cricket.

Forgive me if i'm wrong but neither have played much Div1, but you are probably correct in that they have excelled playing rep cricket. Therefore, they must've been given a chance a long the way from performances in Div2, or on raw acknowledged ability? I'm not disputing they are both good cricketers, they are, but the argument is flawed to say he isn't worth a look because he hasn't played Div1, IMO.

Last time I saw Tom bowl was two seasons ago when we played them out at Torquay when they were in Division 1 so I don't know how he bowls anymore to be honest. I guess I will find out in the Twenty 20. Now I know what you've said about the weight of wickets and everything, but there are loads of blokes who have taken wickets and not been selected. And I think the squad is good as is.

Any other blokes that anyone wants to discuss?

EDIT: Tim Wight I would prefer to see in their, as a young bloke who deserves a chance.

i think shaun campbell is a pretty handy cricketer by the sounds of it, but i would think his lack of experience on turf may be costly at that level. according to his dad (the great nobby campbell) he will play in town one day on the turf, but marshall might get first crack, he has deep family ties there. doesnt mean he will go there, sounds good enough to go div 1

beaublazer;373861 said:
08'-09' 30 wickets @ 12.
09-10- 11 wickets @ 8.

Any thoughts?

I am a huge Alrdo fan. 30 wickets (mostly top order mind you) at 12 speaks for itself. Deserves a training gig IMO.
Before anyone gets on here and goes bananas: for the record, he wouldn't make the final team and I could name 4 blokes in there who I would have Aldro in front of.

thommy_rissole;374077 said:
I am a huge Alrdo fan. 30 wickets (mostly top order mind you) at 12 speaks for itself. Deserves a training gig IMO.
Before anyone gets on here and goes bananas: for the record, he wouldn't make the final team and I could name 4 blokes in there who I would have Aldro in front of.

go on then...

ants14;374081 said:
go on then...

Lets not play the name game, the point of my argument is that his figures are as good, if not better then some other players selected.

He is quite a handy bowler who has had no outside coaching from any development programs or hasn't been in any Barwon squads as a junior. Has self learnt his own craft.

NOTE: Also does help when you have one of the better keepers in the competition up to the stumps whipping the bails off on anything that strays down the legside.

ants14;374081 said:
go on then...

Damien Port has taken 14 wickets at 6 and made more than 150 runs. He also has extensive Div1 experience, having made 55 in a 1st XI grand final. What has a certain Thomson co-coach done?

Waurn Ponds forever;374126 said:
Damien Port has taken 14 wickets at 6 and made more than 150 runs. He also has extensive Div1 experience, having made 55 in a 1st XI grand final. What has a certain Thomson co-coach done?

Strike Rate?

Thanks Sean, a voice of reason in a chorus of missed points and incoherent argument....

Back