Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Bell Post Hill

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nobody

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: New club Coaches/Captains/Players for 2009/10

gca_ipl;349520 said:
I am pretty sure that the three year rolling average only applies to club's in division one, so the three year average does not apply to other divisions, ie. Corio were put down on this year, and Manifold were put up based only on this season ??

Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought division 2 to division 1 was a 3-year average also.

supersaintjohnny;349515 said:
Cmon Rissole a bit of common sense has to come into play here. Surely they have to take into account ground, facilities, membership, sponsors, juniors, players, committee and all the other things that make up a club. Talking about the 3 year rolling average surely is ignorant on your behalf mate, considering we are a new club coming into the league. Sounds like you think we should be in div3? Pretty dissapointing, thought you would have enjoyed the challenge?

There are a lot of people that are very passionate about St.Albans, as with every club. We all have club people who put in countless hours and effort in making there club the best it can be and when decisions don't go our way, there is extreme disappointment. This still is a very exiting time for St.Albans, the years ahead will bring a lot of success, so stay focused.
I think St.Albans have made the right move in coming to the GCA for there club to move forward, but in doing so they are coming into a politically motivated organization with own club agendas. That being said, we choose to affiliate into this. The only way it will change is for people from a cross section of clubs to get on these committees and make a difference for all clubs and to send a message NO CLUB is bigger than the competition and if your on the committee and it is your club in the firing line, act with integrity and honesty. No club should have this invisible protection around it.

Yes, I'm disappointed that the Saints didn't get into Divy 2, but it is no surprise they are in divy 3, as the same with my club Dino's going down to divy 2. These were the worst places we wanted to end up, but it has happened and no matter how much we jump up and down this is where we are in 2009/10.

But, this is a great place to vent and get things off our chests, so voice your opinions and views.

Hard Hitter;349528 said:
There are a lot of people that are very passionate about St.Albans, as with every club. We all have club people who put in countless hours and effort in making there club the best it can be and when decisions don't go our way, there is extreme disappointment. This still is a very exiting time for St.Albans, the years ahead will bring a lot of success, so stay focused.
I think St.Albans have made the right move in coming to the GCA for there club to move forward, but in doing so they are coming into a politically motivated organization with own club agendas. That being said, we choose to affiliate into this. The only way it will change is for people from a cross section of clubs to get on these committees and make a difference for all clubs and to send a message NO CLUB is bigger than the competition and if your on the committee and it is your club in the firing line, act with integrity and honesty. No club should have this invisible protection around it.

Yes, I'm disappointed that the Saints didn't get into Divy 2, but it is no surprise they are in divy 3, as the same with my club Dino's going down to divy 2. These were the worst places we wanted to end up, but it has happened and no matter how much we jump up and down this is where we are in 2009/10.

But, this is a great place to vent and get things off our chests, so voice your opinions and views.

And of course that is how the GCA always act...as this is a great place to vent, I will start by asking how the hell Guild St. Marys went into divy 2? NO side from divy 3 should have gone up and that includes my own. Imagine if the GCA could actually grow a pair and make a decision that is viewed as right in the eyes of the member clubs. I know it's been done to death, but the right decision would have been to put St. Albans straight in to divy 2. Divy 3 was already lopsided and sides like Anakie, Meredith etc couldn't cope with the bowling attacks that they played last season. These sides will struggle to make 20 in 2 hits against Miller and co. How the f$%k is that good for local cricket? Atleast Aggy did the honorable thing and stepped aside, now we just need some more of the deadwood at HQ to take his lead...

Now to another issue altogether...with the finals semingly locked in for K Park, will the GCA ever make the decision to relocate their offices there aswell?

Renny24;349417 said:
Manifold must be scratching their heads from one season to the next wondering what comp they are playing in. One of you more learned gents put something down on paper for us on what their recent history has been.

Div 1 in 2004-05 (the n/s/e/w 20-team comp), GCA2 in 2005-06 & 2006-07, GCA1 in 2007-08, GCA2 in 2008-09, now GCA1 in 2009-10.

thommy_rissole;349526 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought division 2 to division 1 was a 3-year average also.

I'm sure it must be, otherwise Thomson would now be in GCA1. You'd probably a better fit for GCA1 at the moment, in my humble opinion.

spider36;349637 said:
Now to another issue altogether...with the finals semingly locked in for K Park, will the GCA ever make the decision to relocate their offices there aswell?

They used to sub-let offices in the GFUL rooms outside Kardinia Park thru to the early 1990's, but I think a bit of GCA money went into the Belmont Lions rooms extensions for their office there so they no doubt will be reluctant to leave.

Yes my point being is there is no integrity and honesty in some of the decisions made by GCA hierachy. The true test come when big desicions effect your own club. If you follow a simple process and plan and duplicate that over and over and stop re inventing the wheel, you will get more consistency and clubs will know exactly what is required.

But of course this would be too easy for the GCA, they are a power to themselves.

No, I can never see GCA moving from east belmont. Too much influence from east!!!!!!

Look here;349661 said:
Div 1 in 2004-05 (the n/s/e/w 20-team comp), GCA2 in 2005-06 & 2006-07, GCA1 in 2007-08, GCA2 in 2008-09, now GCA1 in 2009-10.

I'm sure it must be, otherwise Thomson would now be in GCA1. You'd probably a better fit for GCA1 at the moment, in my humble opinion.

They used to sub-let offices in the GFUL rooms outside Kardinia Park thru to the early 1990's, but I think a bit of GCA money went into the Belmont Lions rooms extensions for their office there so they no doubt will be reluctant to leave.

They were a partner with the reno's at Winter Resort. I just thought with 3 divisions spread all over Geelong and the surrounding areas, it would be more logical (here I go again mentioning logic and the GCA together!) to have a central base.

spider36;349666 said:
They were a partner with the reno's at Winter Resort. I just thought with 3 divisions spread all over Geelong and the surrounding areas, it would be more logical (here I go again mentioning logic and the GCA together!) to have a central base.

It won't happen, you will flog a dead horse here, the GCA put a lot of their own money up for the building improvements at East. this is fact so let this one go through to the keeper.:rolleyes:

I think you will find the reason the GCA headquarters are at East Belmont, was the heavy involvment of East and former GCA president Barry McMahon, part of the agreement with the Council, East Belmont footy and cricket clubs was the GCA were going to be a part of it as well, so I think they may be locked in!!! With the news Robert Agg is stepping down, does that mean his Vice President Grant Dew is heir to the throne or is someone prepared to go up against him to become the new President. Also NDCC is under no obligation to clear any players next season as there is a 1 year moratorium for clubs that get relegated, NDCC will be decimated and would struggle to win games in Divvy 2 let alone entertain getting back up if all the players rumored to be leaving do, ie. D. Koliba the 2 Fords possibly Dooper Clarke who is good mates with the Fords and follows them around. All the other clubs as well as St. Albans will go after there good young players Mills and Hester who are from there and I think there will be interest in Jannsen as well, having said that history shows most good players wanting to leave clubs inevtably do as at some point they have been cashed up (Koliba???) or given gear, clothing, memberships etc which is not allowed under GCA rules, so the players threaten to dob the clubs in and are then cleared, it would be hard for Sth Barwon to justify Koliba as there professional player as tthey already have Hornet as well as attracting Anderton, Ford and Tim Hester from other clubs, people have to sign stat decs, as part of this process. Which begs the question anyway? most clubs pay players so why don't the GCA get fair dinkum and drop the 1 professional player rule or actually try and catch the cheating clubs out!!!

spider36;349666 said:

Just on div3 again for a sec, how many of the 12 teams do you expect to be going around?
I've heard that Corio among others are really going to struggle for numbers.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;349677 said:
Just on div3 again for a sec, how many of the 12 teams do you expect to be going around?
I've heard that Corio among others are really going to struggle for numbers.

From what I've been told, all competing clubs from Div 3 will be going around again next year. Don't know much about the Corio situation. Have heard different things but Div 3 could be good for them as you only have to field 2 sides instead of 4. I read an earlier post that said clubs had merged to survive. That wasn't the case. The only reason sides were matched like that (Anakie/ Aireys, Meredith/ Shelford) was because Anakie and Meredith had an A and C grade sides and Aireys and Shelford had B and C grade sides. Just made it easier to do the draw. When your A grade played Anakie your B grade played Aireys etc

spider36;349679 said:
From what I've been told, all competing clubs from Div 3 will be going around again next year. Don't know much about the Corio situation. Have heard different things but Div 3 could be good for them as you only have to field 2 sides instead of 4. I read an earlier post that said clubs had merged to survive. That wasn't the case. The only reason sides were matched like that (Anakie/ Aireys, Meredith/ Shelford) was because Anakie and Meredith had an A and C grade sides and Aireys and Shelford had B and C grade sides. Just made it easier to do the draw. When your A grade played Anakie your B grade played Aireys etc

That's cleared that up
icon14.gif

Another quick question what happens with our extra sides in div3, it looks like we might have 5 sides this year but div3 only has 3 grades? I guess they go into the 5ths, 6ths or 7ths comp and don't count in club championship?

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;349680 said:
That's cleared that up
icon14.gif

Another quick question what happens with our extra sides in div3, it looks like we might have 5 sides this year but div3 only has 3 grades? I guess they go into the 5ths, 6ths or 7ths comp and don't count in club championship?

correct. You would want your 4th's to play in the 5th XI comp, which was a day two and some one day games comp. The 6th and 7th XI are just 40 over one day games. These lower grades do not count for club championship points but you get some extra points in the assessment for having teams above the requirement.

gca_ipl;349681 said:
correct. You would want your 4th's to play in the 5th XI comp, which was a day two and some one day games comp. The 6th and 7th XI are just 40 over one day games. These lower grades do not count for club championship points but you get some extra points in the assessment for having teams above the requirement.

That's pretty much the way to do it, however unless there is more sides joining the 5ths this year, it would be a boring comp! I think there were only 6 sides in it last year and a couple of those were from 1 club. For the benefit of the club though, this is probably the best option.

obser;349675 said:
With the news Robert Agg is stepping down, does that mean his Vice President Grant Dew is heir to the throne or is someone prepared to go up against him to become the new President.

Dewy would have to be odds on. Let's face it, who from the disgruntled ranks of Big Cricket or beyond would be prepared to take the job on (or any GCA management position, for that matter).

spider36;349679 said:
From what I've been told, all competing clubs from Div 3 will be going around again next year. Don't know much about the Corio situation. Have heard different things but Div 3 could be good for them as you only have to field 2 sides instead of 4.

As long as there's committed people at the Club, they'll be OK. Nothing like a bit of on-field success to bring people back in to the fold. Not suggesting they'll do it easy, but GCA3 ain't GCA2.

Spider36, hypothetically would Teesdale have sought GCA2 promotion if you'd outscored Guild Saints in the points assessment, or done a 2008 Highton and declined?

Guild may not have finished all that far clear of Teesdale in the GCA3 assessment. There are 8.5 points on offer for turf wicket-related areas which clearly no other GCA3 club could score. But their lack of juniors costs them the 8 points on offer here so the 2 more or less cancel each other out.

No doubt SABCC are worthy and good enough to play GCA2, but despite Jock's confidence that it would happen, it was never going to. The GCA really has to stand by the assessment system (often referred to as "the controversial assessment system" in our esteemed local paper) or it has no credibility in future years (waiting for someone to say it has none now!). Any other year before GCA3 started and SABCC wouldv'e been straight to GCA2.

gca_ipl;349681 said:

BPCA 4ths is all 1-dayers is it not? No forseeable problem if SABCC 4ths (or 5ths if they could get 5 sides up) played in GCA 6ths or 7ths.

Cheers.

Look here;349685 said:
Dewy would have to be odds on. Let's face it, who from the disgruntled ranks of Big Cricket or beyond would be prepared to take the job on (or any GCA management position, for that matter).

As long as there's committed people at the Club, they'll be OK. Nothing like a bit of on-field success to bring people back in to the fold. Not suggesting they'll do it easy, but GCA3 ain't GCA2.

Spider36, hypothetically would Teesdale have sought GCA2 promotion if you'd outscored Guild Saints in the points assessment, or done a 2008 Highton and declined?

Guild may not have finished all that far clear of Teesdale in the GCA3 assessment. There are 8.5 points on offer for turf wicket-related areas which clearly no other GCA3 club could score. But their lack of juniors costs them the 8 points on offer here so the 2 more or less cancel each other out.

No doubt SABCC are worthy and good enough to play GCA2, but despite Jock's confidence that it would happen, it was never going to. The GCA really has to stand by the assessment system (often referred to as "the controversial assessment system" in our esteemed local paper) or it has no credibility in future years (waiting for someone to say it has none now!). Any other year before GCA3 started and SABCC wouldv'e been straight to GCA2.

BPCA 4ths is all 1-dayers is it not? No forseeable problem if SABCC 4ths (or 5ths if they could get 5 sides up) played in GCA 6ths or 7ths.

Cheers.

No, we wouldn't have. While we do have sides in all grades, senior and junior, and our clubroom facilities are very good, we are no chance of going up until the Golden Plains Shire spend some cash on upgrading our oval. We don't have a sprinkler system, so by Xmas it's very dry out there.

Look here;349685 said:

Cheers.

I tend to agree with everything you've said, Jock was pretty confident of going into div2( he did get a bit of a wink wink nudge nudge from a certain GCA executive that we'd be going straight in to the "Turf Comp" but that turned out to be a load of crap.

The thing is we aren't winging or degrading the sides of div3 when we say we really wanted to play div2, it's just that fact the we think if we meet all the correct criteria of the GCA we should be allowed to play in a turf comp.

Why couldn't they of made div2 an all turf comp by bringing Guild & St Albans up leaving Corio in and making it a 14 team comp, Then we would have Div1 (12 teams) and Div2 (14 teams) all turf (With Murge getting turf in by xmas) and div3 all hard wicket know-one would have to worry about buying spikes for 1 game and the former SLCA would basically have their comp how it was before they moved into GCA div3.

Having to play 1dayers in the 4ths isn't the problem that's a good thing, but having to play 1dayers in your thirds which GCA3 is isn't ideal.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;349690 said:
The thing is we aren't winging or degrading the sides of div3 when we say we really wanted to play div2, it's just that fact the we think if we meet all the correct criteria of the GCA we should be allowed to play in a turf comp.

Why couldn't they of made div2 an all turf comp by bringing Guild & St Albans up leaving Corio in and making it a 14 team comp, Then we would have Div1 (12 teams) and Div2 (14 teams) all turf (With Murge getting turf in by xmas) and div3 all hard wicket know-one would have to worry about buying spikes for 1 game and the former SLCA would basically have their comp how it was before they moved into GCA div3.

Having to play 1dayers in the 4ths isn't the problem that's a good thing, but having to play 1dayers in your thirds which GCA3 is isn't ideal.

It may or not be a good justification for 12/12/12 but it is problematical whether Corio could cope with another GCA2 season. Their 1sts are not great but are OK, but their 2nds and 3rds really struggling, and they have that age-old problem of struggling clubs - a group who will only play 4ths or not at all. When a club is in that position, it generally lacks the internal discipline to command all players to play where selected. Not that their 4ths were world-beaters, but quite a few should've been higher. Even Darryl Bisset made a few guest appearances there.

SBW's comments, and others of SABCC guys, so far have been respectful of GCA3 and no-one could accuse you of being arrogant. But yes, there are going to be some terribly one-sided matches in GCA3. Teesdale are very very solid, Modda maybe (depending on who play$), but at the other end of the scale.....don't want to think about it. But very hard to see what can be done about it. You have the likes of Shelford playing only 2nds and 3rds with good sides for that standard, but would be slaughtered in 1sts, as Meredith and Anakie often were last season.

SHANEBOURNEorWARNE;349694 said:
Seems like it, meant to start in September according to the website. Cricket Victoria - Murgheboluc Cricket Club

gca_ipl;349696 said:
yeah it was mentioned at the GCA meeting. Will be touch and go if it is used at all this season, they do not want to fast track and use it if it is not going to be good for the long haul.

Gratifying to know someone actually looks at the website:)

Yes it's supposed to go in after the winter tenant (Newtown City Hockey Club) season completes. COGG may well use this opportunity to warm-weather grass the entire oval, so best-case scenario most likely would be for a game or two late in the season, for the reasons Daz mentions. Won't be straight after Xmas.

Back