DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DVCA Barclay Shield 09/10

Tongs;370122 said:
Riverside will not play finals, they will do their usual choke (The DVCA's Port Adelaide) and NEW are nowhere near good enough to compete with the "Big Boys" of the comp. They have 2-3 players that are very good players, but drop away very quickly after that.

Plenty will be the team to beat, but its early on, and teams are not used to playing one day games (its been a couple of years) so now the real stuff starts, you watch sides start to make their mark on the comp.

money shield isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and the point of having the money shield premiers for each year coming up to barclay is to reward the team for an outstanding season. Eltham are luck to still be in barclay shield and therefore NEWCC look like they will have no trouble with beating them, they're not that bad a team and definately are not going to finish on the bottom.

Bowls Steam;370141 said:
money shield isn't as bad as people make it out to be, and the point of having the money shield premiers for each year coming up to barclay is to reward the team for an outstanding season. Eltham are luck to still be in barclay shield and therefore NEWCC look like they will have no trouble with beating them, they're not that bad a team and definately are not going to finish on the bottom.

Can you show me where I have bagged MS clubs/players? I said the problem with NEW is the last 4 guys picked in the ones would struggle to get a game at another BS team! Yet they do have some good players! Some of the currently better sides in BS have come from MS, and I have respect for them, ie Mernda Epping, Lalor etc

As for my club. When did I say that Eltham are a better club and will beat you?
And just for the record. Eltham will beat NEW in BS. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, i'm up for it!

Tongs;370165 said:
Can you show me where I have bagged MS clubs/players? I said the problem with NEW is the last 4 guys picked in the ones would struggle to get a game at another BS team! Yet they do have some good players! Some of the currently better sides in BS have come from MS, and I have respect for them, ie Mernda Epping, Lalor etc

And just for the record. Eltham will beat NEW in BS. If you want to put your money where your mouth is, i'm up for it!

Eltham are worse than NEW and will be lucky to stay in BS this year. Having 4 weak links in the team doesn't mean much, have a look at the likes of Epping and Lalor. They haven't got much depth but they have been pretty successful lately.

I don't think NEW are a good side or a contender, but there is no way they are even a good chance to finish last.

premiers10;370172 said:
Eltham are worse than NEW and will be lucky to stay in BS this year. Having 4 weak links in the team doesn't mean much, have a look at the likes of Epping and Lalor. They haven't got much depth but they have been pretty successful lately.

I don't think NEW are a good side or a contender, but there is no way they are even a good chance to finish last.

Eltham will finish on top of NEW. Do you want to put your money on the table?

Eltham have been tipped to go down the last 5 years! One of those we played finals, another we missed by a game. Only one year (last year) were we in real trouble!

Boys ease up a bit. Why bother arguing who will beat who and who is better than who. Time will tell. Some people on here run the risk of handing ammunition to other teams with silly comments. Fine, have a discussion, but provide some data. Just because someone plays for a certain team doesn't carry an ounce of camel shit when it comes to winning or losing. Try and cut the personal comments out. The DVCA forum has been exceptional, behavior wise recently, so keep up the good work.

cold case;370179 said:
Boys ease up a bit. Why bother arguing who will beat who and who is better than who. Time will tell. Some people on here run the risk of handing ammunition to other teams with silly comments. Fine, have a discussion, but provide some data. Just because someone plays for a certain team doesn't carry an ounce of camel shit when it comes to winning or losing. Try and cut the personal comments out. The DVCA forum has been exceptional, behavior wise recently, so keep up the good work.

Provide some data:

4 out of 5 posters on here post rubbish?

Is that worthy big fella? :)

Seem to remember a few pretty good Eltham teams falling over in the finals throughout the 90's so for you to call Riverside a bunch of chokers is laughable Tongs. I know its been a while since we've one an a grade flag but 43 years for you blokes...i don't think you are really in any position to be throwing the chokers tag around

Tongs;370165 said:

Where u have bagged MS clubs is by saying that the premiers of MS last year (NEWCC) are not up to BS when they clearly are as they have won the MS premiership. I do not gamble but i am willing to say that i feel that NEWCC will beat eltham, whether it will be tight or not? i do not know but the wanderer will win!

Tongs;370175 said:
Eltham will finish on top of NEW. Do you want to put your money on the table?

Eltham have been tipped to go down the last 5 years! One of those we played finals, another we missed by a game. Only one year (last year) were we in real trouble!

As for eltham going down, they were very close last year and i doubt its looking any better for you.

Tongs;370122 said:
Riverside will not play finals, they will do their usual choke (The DVCA's Port Adelaide) and NEW are nowhere near good enough to compete with the "Big Boys" of the comp. They have 2-3 players that are very good players, but drop away very quickly after that.

Plenty will be the team to beat, but its early on, and teams are not used to playing one day games (its been a couple of years) so now the real stuff starts, you watch sides start to make their mark on the comp.

Thats a fair point,
The Riverside point is thier and i can see how they are seen as chockers.
But i have a mate that plays 4ths down thier and he says thier ones are looking the goods and If Scott Gibbs is firing then thier a big chance to play finals, you have a look at thier next few games, if they can get up this match against Lalor then they have Eltham Research and Macloed any DVCA supporter would think that would leave Riverside 6 and zip but you never know.

Wattle Glenn 2010;370327 said:
Thats a fair point,
The Riverside point is thier and i can see how they are seen as chockers.
But i have a mate that plays 4ths down thier and he says thier ones are looking the goods and If Scott Gibbs is firing then thier a big chance to play finals, you have a look at thier next few games, if they can get up this match against Lalor then they have Eltham Research and Macloed any DVCA supporter would think that would leave Riverside 6 and zip but you never know.

As i was looking over the fixture i was thinking the same thing. They should play finals. This is a must win game against Lalor.

6 runs;370420 said:
As i was looking over the fixture i was thinking the same thing. They should play finals. This is a must win game against Lalor.

It certainly is. Every game is crucial. To win a session would be nice.

Boys by all means have some light hearted banter but give the personal stuff a miss please.

Bowls Steam;370325 said:
Where u have bagged MS clubs is by saying that the premiers of MS last year (NEWCC) are not up to BS when they clearly are as they have won the MS premiership. I do not gamble but i am willing to say that i feel that NEWCC will beat eltham, whether it will be tight or not? i do not know but the wanderer will win!

NEW are a deserving club to play BS, they have put in a brilliant juniour program over the last 5 years and are reaping the rewards (take note Lower Eltham) and this will continue over the next few years. BUT I still stand by what I said in the way that, they have some very good cricketers, yet they fall away (like most clubs yes) and the difference is alot higher.

You can't hang your hat on a MS flag in BS. Thats like the GC!7 wining the TAC cup and the next year they think they are a chance at winning the AFL Grand Final.

Why don't we have a wager on it, but no money involved. Lets say: the loser of NEW and Eltham must attend the other clubs MILO session and help out for a night? That way the other club benefits fromit, and there is no money involved. Good for the game and club!

Chug;370252 said:
Seem to remember a few pretty good Eltham teams falling over in the finals throughout the 90's so for you to call Riverside a bunch of chokers is laughable Tongs. I know its been a while since we've one an a grade flag but 43 years for you blokes...i don't think you are really in any position to be throwing the chokers tag around

Come on Chug, what are you on about? Yes the ELtham of the early 90s choked just as much as Jenna Jameson, and we are the first to admit that! But the difference is, they were actually there. You guys have failed to play finals a couple of times when you shouldn't have. Of late we simply have not had the cattle to compete, and therefore are not up there. Yet you guys have quite a few very good cricketers, but can't get near it!

I will say that I hate Riverside. Not because of the players or anything like that, I hate the club because they are a very strong and competitive club. I have lost i think 7 finals games to you guys over my career. So I have the utmost respect for the whole club, not to mention that you have a group of quality boys down there, who I get along with many of them.

But you are under achieving and have for a number of years! You cannot denie that!

Tongs;370490 said:
Come on Chug, what are you on about? Yes the ELtham of the early 90s choked just as much as Jenna Jameson, and we are the first to admit that! But the difference is, they were actually there. You guys have failed to play finals a couple of times when you shouldn't have. Of late we simply have not had the cattle to compete, and therefore are not up there. Yet you guys have quite a few very good cricketers, but can't get near it!

I will say that I hate Riverside. Not because of the players or anything like that, I hate the club because they are a very strong and competitive club. I have lost i think 7 finals games to you guys over my career. So I have the utmost respect for the whole club, not to mention that you have a group of quality boys down there, who I get along with many of them.

But you are under achieving and have for a number of years! You cannot denie that!

You have to be real careful when you criticise other people's spelling Dave, surely you can't DENY that! ;)

Bubble Wrap;370500 said:
You have to be real careful when you criticise other people's spelling Dave, surely you can't DENY that! ;)

Bloody Bubble Wrap! That's the last time I buy you a beer!

We are all human (Except you Doyle. Half man half ape?), but to do it 28 times in one post!

Clubs like Riverside and Diamond Creek are definately the envy of most others. Riverside have always had a gold mine with such feeder schools as St.Marys, St. Damiens and Parade College just to name a few pumping out kids left, right and centre. The committee at Riverside wouldn't actually have to do a lot in regards to junior recruitment other than find coaches and enough people to volunteer their time. They do a fantastic job of that. My son is in his third season at Riverside and has been catered for very well in that time.
I dont think that Riverside are chokers but are suffering like most clubs are nowadays with ageing players and young boys who have had limited stage play in their career. My young bloke is a bowler, nothing special but ok. I suggest by the time he is open age he would be lucky to have bowled 200 overs in 6 years. These kids are being asked to compete at the highest level with basically only half an hour bowling experience at one given time behind them. The great players of today like the Glynn's, Baker, Minney, Whitcher, Fletcher, Love, Johnson & co weren't subject to restrictions in their junior years. They then were ready a lot earlier than the kids of today.
Riverside are one club in my opinion that are suffering due to this. The old stagers such as Gleeson, Smale & Elks have been hanging on for a long time awaiting for some young talent to take their place. It is always a catch 22 situation when a club dearly wants the ultimate prize and to reach this mark some of the old timers who are obviously a lot more seasoned are chosen over the volatile young buck. I only wish my club had this dilemma.
I do believe that kids now will reach their full potential at a much later age than those of yesteryear.

cold case;370511 said:
Clubs like Riverside and Diamond Creek are definately the envy of most others. Riverside have always had a gold mine with such feeder schools as St.Marys, St. Damiens and Parade College just to name a few pumping out kids left, right and centre. The committee at Riverside wouldn't actually have to do a lot in regards to junior recruitment other than find coaches and enough people to volunteer their time. They do a fantastic job of that. My son is in his third season at Riverside and has been catered for very well in that time.
I dont think that Riverside are chokers but are suffering like most clubs are nowadays with ageing players and young boys who have had limited stage play in their career. My young bloke is a bowler, nothing special but ok. I suggest by the time he is open age he would be lucky to have bowled 200 overs in 6 years. These kids are being asked to compete at the highest level with basically only half bowling experience at one given time behind them. The great players of today like the Glynn's, Baker, Minney, Whitcher, Fletcher, Love, Johnson & co weren't subject to restrictions in their junior years. They then were ready a lot earlier than the kids of today.
Riverside are one club in my opinion that are suffering due to this. The old stagers such as Gleeson, Smale & Elks have been hanging on for a long time awaiting for some young talent to take their place. It is always a catch 22 situation when a club dearly wants the ultimate prize and to reach this mark some of the old timers who are obviously a lot more seasoned are chosen over the volatile young buck. I only wish my club had this dilemma.
I do believe that kids now will reach their full potential at a much later age than those of yesteryear.

Thats spot on 100% their.
And Riverside with thier Fair go policy will be affected by this,the 12's there and there are some standouts and they get a little held back, but it's a great club and we just want some gold. David Newell is 17 and has had a good start to his A grade career averaging 31, the best of luck to him and thier are some boys who aren't behind him coming up.

cold case;370511 said:
I dont think that Riverside are chokers but are suffering like most clubs are nowadays with ageing players and young boys who have had limited stage play in their career. My young bloke is a bowler, nothing special but ok. I suggest by the time he is open age he would be lucky to have bowled 200 overs in 6 years. These kids are being asked to compete at the highest level with basically only half bowling experience at one given time behind them. The great players of today like the Glynn's, Baker, Minney, Whitcher, Fletcher, Love, Johnson & co weren't subject to restrictions in their junior years. They then were ready a lot earlier than the kids of today.

How hard was it for you to not include your self in this group? Or is "co" another nickname for you? :)

cold case;370511 said:
I dont think that Riverside are chokers but are suffering like most clubs are nowadays with ageing players and young boys who have had limited stage play in their career. My young bloke is a bowler, nothing special but ok. I suggest by the time he is open age he would be lucky to have bowled 200 overs in 6 years. These kids are being asked to compete at the highest level with basically only half an hour bowling experience at one given time behind them. The great players of today like the Glynn's, Baker, Minney, Whitcher, Fletcher, Love, Johnson & co weren't subject to restrictions in their junior years. They then were ready a lot earlier than the kids of today.

Looks like your brain is back from holidays;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back