DVCA Barclay Shield 2010/11

Re: DVCA Barclay Shield 2010/11

Tongs;409282 said:
It was tongue in cheek, and you took it hook line and sinker! I agree that the blokes on the executive do a very good job, and one in which i would hate to do because of the backlash you will always be under (see Jeff Gieschen) no matter what you do.

My only concern is that if 11 clubs want a rule changed, for example this week (not saying that is the case) but the Executive don't want to change the rule then it won't be changed. What say do the clubs/players have?? After all, they are the ones playing!

Don't agree with the Sunday/Saturday idea at all! The DVCA has a duty of care to protect all players and clubs. After the biggest alcohol consumption day/night in Australia, players are meant to front up and play cricket the next day. A lot of people do it every week (see CowCorner) but others don't and i think it would be a smarter option to give clubs the opportunity to play a one day game for the POTENTIAL protection!. There is nothing wrong with them!

I have heard through the grapevine that most clubs are saying pull the pin, yet the executive want to play. Will be an interesting outcome tonight!

players in the first xi should have the commitment to their side to look after themselves id we do in fact play. the lower grades def should not playand
they are not. this said i am a massive pies fan and would like to have a fair crack at it on GF day. but i will not drink if they do decide to play sunday

Bundoora;409232 said:
If your not happy with the way the competition is run, either go somewhere else or put your hand up and get your club to nominate you for a position, i will second it.

Please rethink that decision.:D

Tongs;409282 said:
It was tongue in cheek, and you took it hook line and sinker! I agree that the blokes on the executive do a very good job, and one in which i would hate to do because of the backlash you will always be under (see Jeff Gieschen) no matter what you do.

My only concern is that if 11 clubs want a rule changed, for example this week (not saying that is the case) but the Executive don't want to change the rule then it won't be changed. What say do the clubs/players have?? After all, they are the ones playing!

Don't agree with the Sunday/Saturday idea at all! The DVCA has a duty of care to protect all players and clubs. After the biggest alcohol consumption day/night in Australia, players are meant to front up and play cricket the next day. A lot of people do it every week (see CowCorner) but others don't and i think it would be a smarter option to give clubs the opportunity to play a one day game for the POTENTIAL protection!. There is nothing wrong with them!

I have heard through the grapevine that most clubs are saying pull the pin, yet the executive want to play. Will be an interesting outcome tonight!

You are a goose at times Tongs, you may need to come to a rule change AGM and see that ALL clubs have a voice and if they do things right will get things changed. The executive have ONE vote.

And yes, I was in NO condition to play on Sunday.

I am sure they have reasons for their decision and have thought it though. Whilst I hope that we have no games this w/e if we do we just get on with it.

riversidestrangler;409285 said:
they are not. this said i am a massive pies fan and would like to have a fair crack at it on GF day. but i will not drink if they do decide to play sunday

That explains it. ;):D;)

Geez. Clever administrators they have a meeting with all clubs tonight but go ahead and make a decision on there own. Absolutely ridiculous tell me that there arent at least 33 blokes at every club wanting a game of cricket.

So why not consult the clubs?

fresh face;409298 said:
Geez. Clever administrators they have a meeting with all clubs tonight but go ahead and make a decision on there own. Absolutely ridiculous tell me that there arent at least 33 blokes at every club wanting a game of cricket.

Because it's not just about getting 33 blokes per club. There are umpires to appoint, teas to be sorted and so on.

Also, whilst there probably are more clubs than not who could find 33 bodies, is it really fair? Club 'A' has 25 of normal 33 available, club 'B' only 12 - as you can imagine club 'A' are going to be fairly happy, club 'B' less so. If a situation crops up that means an individual club loses half of its side (wedding etc) then tough tits but it makes a bit of a mockery if it every team in the competition.

The administrators are never going to win on this. If they go ahead and play someone will moan, move it to Sunday - someone will moan. Equally, cancel the round and someone will moan.

mas cambios;409300 said:
Because it's not just about getting 33 blokes per club. There are umpires to appoint, teas to be sorted and so on.

Also, whilst there probably are more clubs than not who could find 33 bodies, is it really fair? Club 'A' has 25 of normal 33 available, club 'B' only 12 - as you can imagine club 'A' are going to be fairly happy, club 'B' less so. If a situation crops up that means an individual club loses half of its side (wedding etc) then tough tits but it makes a bit of a mockery if it every team in the competition.

The administrators are never going to win on this. If they go ahead and play someone will moan, move it to Sunday - someone will moan. Equally, cancel the round and someone will moan.
But NO consultation with clubs? They have made this announcement without consultation with the clubs and they have a meeting now. It couldn't have possibly hurt to wait another 2 hours and consult the clubs!

Good to see common sense prevail on the part of the DVCA by cancelling all play Saturday & Sunday for Seniors and Juniors.

All grades to play Round 1 as One-Dayers next week.

Correct decision was made. Glad they came through with the goods. CowCorner were you there? Any idea what the vote count was?

And just for the record, you are right in what you said about the executive having one vote on rule changes. BUT they are the ones that decide what rules go to a vote! Don't forget that!

Tongs;409317 said:
Correct decision was made. Glad they came through with the goods. CowCorner were you there? Any idea what the vote count was?

And just for the record, you are right in what you said about the executive having one vote on rule changes. BUT they are the ones that decide what rules go to a vote! Don't forget that!

Was there; they made the call, no indication of the break up but I sense most there where happy. Apparently the biggest implication was juniors but my hangover should have come into it. Surprised that anyone wanted to play, sure its a minority.

True about rules but they are evolving by creating a rules committee, they have asked for volunteers to join, please speak to Jonsey and he will nominate you. Not a hard committee to join they will meet only a couple of times, priority one will be creating 1 day comp.

fresh face;409303 said:
But NO consultation with clubs? They have made this announcement without consultation with the clubs and they have a meeting now. It couldn't have possibly hurt to wait another 2 hours and consult the clubs!

You may believe we could have played, I get the sense that most there agreed it was not the best idea, you need to remember there is juniors as well.

The exec is voted in to run the comp mate, whilst I at times don't agree with them they are going gang busters at the moment IMO. Seriously.

Lets remember most comps (inc District and subbies) are cancelled, hell the VRC moved a group 1 race and the A-League postponed a game, reckon the DVCA made a good call here.

CowCorner;409324 said:
You may believe we could have played, I get the sense that most there agreed it was not the best idea, you need to remember there is juniors as well.

The exec is voted in to run the comp mate, whilst I at times don't agree with them they are going gang busters at the moment IMO. Seriously.

Lets remember most comps (inc District and subbies) are cancelled, hell the VRC moved a group 1 race and the A-League postponed a game, reckon the DVCA made a good call here.

Spot on CC, I cant beleieve people would even consider the DVCA playing this week was a good idea.

fresh face;409303 said:

Possibly they should have consulted with them but I can understand why they didn't. From an outsider looking in, it strikes me that a decision needed to be made and quickly. Would this have been concluded so quickly and decisively it they asked every club for input?

I sympathise with you - the cricket season is for cricket after all. However, these things happen. On the upside, everyone knows where they stand and you're all in the same boat.

fresh face;409298 said:

The meeting with the clubs is what you call consultation. Once you undertake a process of consultation you go away and make a decision, thats what we elect decision makers to do.

Not sure how you Sydney boys run your mardi gras, but this is how we run our cricket comp:D

fresh face;409303 said:

Unsure if you're not the full quid, or simply don't understand.
This decision is exactly why the executive is in place.
Trying to get 25 clubs to agree on the best option would be great fun.
We appoint them to make these decisions and accept the decision when it is made. You don't necessarily have to agree with it, but have to accept it nonetheless.
Please explain which part you don't understand.

Just want everyones thoughts on the top 4 from last year?

Plenty
Mernda
Bundoora
Riverside

I feel the two losers from last years semis have bridged the gap on the grand finalist

Plenty have lost some players but will still be ultra hard to beat ecspecially with their bowling attack.

As for Mernda. It could be a long year down at Schotters Rd. Baker is the only matchwinner but is getting on in years, they are too inconsistent with the bat and their kids are just sloggers at best (ie Cal Dean and B.Bailey)
i know they have proved us wrong before but surely they are done and dusted! Runners up to Money Shield??? Big chance IMO

beefy;409543 said:

Plenty
Mernda
Bundoora
Riverside

I feel the two losers from last years semis have bridged the gap on the grand finalist

Plenty have lost some players but will still be ultra hard to beat ecspecially with their bowling attack.

As for Mernda. It could be a long year down at Schotters Rd. Baker is the only matchwinner but is getting on in years, they are too inconsistent with the bat and their kids are just sloggers at best (ie Cal Dean and B.Bailey)
i know they have proved us wrong before but surely they are done and dusted! Runners up to Money Shield??? Big chance IMO

A bit yes and no here Beefy.

I agree, both Bundoora and Riverside will be tougher this year, it is always too early to call but one suspects you may be right.

Can anyone from Bundoora or Riverside comment on the above? Are you guys confident this year? (Don't answer this one Strangler.........I already know the answer)

As for the Grand Finalists......Mernda have played for the last two seasons with an ordinary batting line up (last year they were better, especially Dean brothers) and have played in consecutive grand finals. They'll win nearly all of their games at home of Bakes' back and may even pinch a couple on the road, they do have the capacity to crumble (big time) but they will not be relegated.

The defending champs will have a different look side this season. They lose 2 Johnson's and Dan Cocking but still have the make up of a premier side. Love, Pavey, Zull (and Sconna if he turns it on) make up one of the better batting sides in the comp and they still have the best bowling side in the comp with Rosbrook, Hubber and Salvatore.

Should be a very interesting season.

beefy;409543 said:

Plenty
Mernda
Bundoora
Riverside

who do you play for beefy? youve posted 5 times in your life and they are all about Mernda, stop worrying about us and concentrate on your own mob!

CricketBox;409568 said:
A bit yes and no here Beefy.

I agree, both Bundoora and Riverside will be tougher this year, it is always too early to call but one suspects you may be right.

Can anyone from Bundoora or Riverside comment on the above? Are you guys confident this year? (Don't answer this one Strangler.........I already know the answer)

As for the Grand Finalists......Mernda have played for the last two seasons with an ordinary batting line up (last year they were better, especially Dean brothers) and have played in consecutive grand finals. They'll win nearly all of their games at home of Bakes' back and may even pinch a couple on the road, they do have the capacity to crumble (big time) but they will not be relegated.

The defending champs will have a different look side this season. They lose 2 Johnson's and Dan Cocking but still have the make up of a premier side. Love, Pavey, Zull (and Sconna if he turns it on) make up one of the better batting sides in the comp and they still have the best bowling side in the comp with Rosbrook, Hubber and Salvatore.

Should be a very interesting season.

I will not pick a top 4 until about round 4. The comp is that tight, it's too hard to say who will finish where. Plus i've been way out before.

I'm glad there's no play tomorrow. Executive has made the right decision. I'm too pissed now to watch, let alone play, and CC will agree with me.

I did forget to mention though, with the RiversideStrangler now in the comp, the Siders will finish the year undefeated and cruise through there 2 finals.

Back