DVCA Barclay Shield 2010/11

Re: DVCA Barclay Shield 2010/11

beefy;409543 said:
Just want everyones thoughts on the top 4 from last year?

Plenty
Mernda
Bundoora
Riverside

I feel the two losers from last years semis have bridged the gap on the grand finalist

Plenty have lost some players but will still be ultra hard to beat ecspecially with their bowling attack.

As for Mernda. It could be a long year down at Schotters Rd. Baker is the only matchwinner but is getting on in years, they are too inconsistent with the bat and their kids are just sloggers at best (ie Cal Dean and B.Bailey)
i know they have proved us wrong before but surely they are done and dusted! Runners up to Money Shield??? Big chance IMO

The new identity Research/Collegians CC will be the team to beat this year. They have a few returning, some may surprise a few. That's my tip this early.

Took my pup for a long walk and ended at NEW where they where playing a praccy match against Eltham.

Was not there for long but a small bloke for Eltham with really old pads was hitting them all over the park, I was only there for 20 minutes but he looked good, sixes and fours to all parts of the ground. I did not know ECC had made a pick up, interested to find out who he was.

Was surprised to see a match after the AFL GF, nice day for it though.

CowCorner;409687 said:
Took my pup for a long walk and ended at NEW where they where playing a praccy match against Eltham.

Was not there for long but a small bloke for Eltham with really old pads was hitting them all over the park, I was only there for 20 minutes but he looked good, sixes and fours to all parts of the ground. I did not know ECC had made a pick up, interested to find out who he was.

Would'nt have thought that it was such a long walk. Best tell us you drove from home to NEW and then took the pup for a walk - around the ground a couple of times would be your limit. :D

Nawab of Pautadi;409702 said:
Would'nt have thought that it was such a long walk. Best tell us you drove from home to NEW and then took the pup for a walk - around the ground a couple of times would be your limit. :D

Drove to NEW

Walked from car to oval, to bar to oval and to car.

Around the ground a few times is well above my limit. :D

CowCorner;409705 said:
Drove to NEW

Walked from car to oval, to bar to oval and to car.

Around the ground a few times is well above my limit. :D

Would of you been under the limit to drive over to North Eltham on Sunday? The word going around is that and a few others had a monster Saturday.

CowCorner;409687 said:

As much as just about every player for both clubs didn't want to play on the day, it was actually really good to have a good hit out. North Eltham put on a BBQ etc for all the boys, and was good to sweat out the liquids from the day before.

As for the little bloke you're talking about CC, not too sure. There was some good hitting from both sides. Maybe it was noodles, who hit tags for a monster six!

Tongs;409765 said:
As for the little bloke you're talking about CC, not too sure. There was some good hitting from both sides. Maybe it was noodles, who hit tags for a monster six!

Oh Tongs, you are so modest.

Tongs;409765 said:
As much as just about every player for both clubs didn't want to play on the day, it was actually really good to have a good hit out. North Eltham put on a BBQ etc for all the boys, and was good to sweat out the liquids from the day before.

Surely not, noodles head is already big enough. Don't need it to get any bigger.

the fixtures have been withdrawn due to ground availability, can some one tell me what grounds are unplayable or getting re-surfaced

milo kerrigan;409863 said:
the fixtures have been withdrawn due to ground availability, can some one tell me what grounds are unplayable or getting re-surfaced

Can say that after a bit of a scare, Mernda's ground is in ripping condition. So no worries there.

Saw a photo on the DVCA website yesterday (that has since been taken down) of Coventry Oval with the tagline something like "Beach cricket comes to the DVCA" - Plenty of sand without even a hint of grass!

And I haven't seen it myself, but I heard Eltham's ground is a bit hit and miss - Tongs will no doubt be able to bring the rest of us up to speed here, whether we like it or not. :rolleyes:

captain cuzz;409864 said:
Can say that after a bit of a scare, Mernda's ground is in ripping condition. So no worries there.

Saw a photo on the DVCA website yesterday (that has since been taken down) of Coventry Oval with the tagline something like "Beach cricket comes to the DVCA" - Plenty of sand without even a hint of grass!

And I haven't seen it myself, but I heard Eltham's ground is a bit hit and miss - Tongs will no doubt be able to bring the rest of us up to speed here, whether we like it or not. :rolleyes:

Aren't you a cheeky little prick! ;)

Eltham's ground is nothing short of a disgrace. If you had two dark blokes walking a donkey across it, you would swear you are in Afghanistan! The council in all their wise wisdom have not touched the ground at all, regardless of the constant persistence. So the committee were forced to seek the guidance of an external curator, who is now in charge of looking after it. And has dumped massive amounts of sand on it.

Fingers crossed for some improvement soon. Maybe we could borrow some hydroponic gear from the Mernda boys to help the grass growth? :eek:

Research`s ground out of action due a heap of sand and peripheral works going on. College ground out of action due ground seeding!

milo kerrigan;409863 said:

Is that "availability" or "unavailability"?

brutal;409914 said:
Research`s ground out of action due a heap of sand and peripheral works going on. College ground out of action due ground seeding!

Council's done sanding on several of their grounds. Give a bit of rain and sunshine and they'll be OK for this week and only get better. You've gotta look at the long term!

Nawab of Pautadi;409928 said:
Council's done sanding on several of their grounds. Give a bit of rain and sunshine and they'll be OK for this week and only get better. You've gotta look at the long term!

This post proudly paid for by the Nillumbik self promotion fund.......

They did it to late, fact.

Revised Fixture for round 1

BARCLAY SHIELD: SATURDAY
Riverside v Eltham (Whatmough #1)
Lalor Stars v Epping (W.A. Smith #1)
Bundoora v Diamond Creek (Yulong #1)
Macleod v Plenty (Macleod)
Mernda v Research (Mernda)
Camrea Taipans v Lower Eltham (Main Street #1)

CricketBox;410078 said:
Thanks Bundoora.

When did they decide this? Are the grounds that bad?

Very interesting.

It was on the website this morning, i think up to 15 grounds are unavailable due to work undertaken by councils.

Feel sorry for Neal Bowden ( bloke who does the fixture ) as it looks like a big job ahead, depending on when other grounds become available

Revised Fixture for round 1

BARCLAY SHIELD: SATURDAY
Riverside v Eltham (Whatmough #1)
Lalor Stars v Epping (W.A. Smith #1)
Bundoora v Diamond Creek (Yulong #1)
Macleod v Plenty (Macleod)
Mernda v Research (Mernda)
Camrea Taipans v Lower Eltham (Main Street #1)

What did everyone think of the first round?

Some interesting results.

Plenty won without their 2 best players. Camrea surprised some (not me I tipped them). They are a genuine finals threat Lower Eltham will be disappointed with their first up loss. Creek beat Bundoora at Yulong in what is a great win for them but a bad loss for the Bulls. The newly formed Research destroyed Mernda who still has clouds over it's batting. Stars got a good win first up against Epping and Riverside look like this may be their year after beating Eltham in a high scoring affair.

Thoughts?

Back