Dvca - How Do We Make It Better?

I think you will find there would have been even more than that. NMCA is basically a dead duck so clubs saw DVCA as the lifeboat. Once DVCA settled on 30 teams all suitors would hve been politley told...F*** off.
I don't the NMCA is a dead duck at all. I think what's happening is there is a bit of divide occuring where the DVCA has bigger established clubs and perhaps take their cricket more seriously. The NMCA absolutely has a place for clubs who view cricket more socially. It just depends on where your club sees itself, and the players within that club. There's no better or worse - it's just different, that's all. I have no idea what the DVCA's position is relation to number of teams but I am surprised they would knock back clubs who meet their criteria for entry. There's no reason why a club in the DVCA should not consider the NMCA a better option. That might just happen.

Again, did dvca knock back a top tier club for the sake of having even numbers? If so thats ridiculous.
To have odd numbers or even differing numbers in the shield grades makes fixturing very difficult. Even simple things like alternating 1st and seconds home and away becomes very hard. Then throw in ground closures and council stuff ups and it becomes a logistical nightmare. The only way to do it would be fixture on a month by month basis or week by week. But clubs would not cop that. Or have a full time administrator.

To have odd numbers or even differing numbers in the shield grades makes fixturing very difficult. Even simple things like alternating 1st and seconds home and away becomes very hard. Then throw in ground closures and council stuff ups and it becomes a logistical nightmare. The only way to do it would be fixture on a month by month basis or week by week. But clubs would not cop that. Or have a full time administrator.
Why wouldn't you just keep DC 2's or ask Epping 2's to come up in to Mash for a season. I am sure either of those clubs, or others would see it as a challenge and an opportunity.

Why wouldn't you just keep DC 2's or ask Epping 2's to come up in to Mash for a season. I am sure either of those clubs, or others would see it as a challenge and an opportunity.

Think the point of adding Mash was so all clubs could accomodate having their 1st XI in a Shield Grade. Like Panton Hill as an example who were in B Grade for quite a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gonna try and dumb this down so even you can get it.. 10 in Barclay and 10 in Money. Even draw all Barclay and Money play one and two dayers on same day. Have 12 in Mash ( by bringing in extra clubs) you now have a differing fixture if you want everyone to play each other. So Mash plays one and two dayers on different days to all other grades. Then you have players who are unavailable in Mash. You cannot pick players to replace them from a lower grade as their games have already started the week before. Then you have someone vandalise a ground, or council puts sand on it or water leaks and now all grounds are in play because they are on the other week and so the Mash game plays at Mill Park secondary or not at all. It can be done but like I said fixturing would need to be done at best monthly probably only 1 game ahead.

I gonna try and dumb this down so even you can get it.. 10 in Barclay and 10 in Money. Even draw all Barclay and Money play one and two dayers on same day. Have 12 in Mash ( by bringing in extra clubs) you now have a differing fixture if you want everyone to play each other. So Mash plays one and two dayers on different days to all other grades. Then you have players who are unavailable in Mash. You cannot pick players to replace them from a lower grade as their games have already started the week before. Then you have someone vandalise a ground, or council puts sand on it or water leaks and now all grounds are in play because they are on the other week and so the Mash game plays at Mill Park secondary or not at all. It can be done but like I said fixturing would need to be done at best monthly probably only 1 game ahead.

It's the perfect model 10-10-10, it is far from ideal having a teams 2nd XI play in Mash Shield. Can't see too many folding clubs anytime soon in the competition so that model is here to stay with 30 clubs represented across the grades.

The DVCA is in every right to knock back clubs as they sit fit. I find it a bit odd it's not Rivergum coming in due to their location but it is what it is, having a team like Rosebank come in will only strengthen Mash Shield. They have a fairly extensive history of poaching top line players from clubs with large cash incentives. Interested to see who they recruit over the Winter.

Or you could have 4x8 in 4 shield grades and play everyone twice like the NMCA do.

Would take some planning over more than just one winter to get it done but I think it’s the best thing moving forward.

The standard fixturing program is perfectly capable of preparing season-long fixtures across the whole association with different numbers of teams in each grade.
It's been used to do it for many, many years.
It was done last season with 8 and 10 team grades.
In past seasons it's been used repeatedly in seasons where we've combined 8, 10 and 12 team grades, and even, on the odd occasion, 14-team grades.
All that's needed is to ensure that rounds in each grade match up, ie they either all play 1 and 2 dayers on the same dates, and/or some grades play 2 1-dayers on the same two days when other grades play a 2-dayer; they did that last season, too.
It simply means that sides in 8-team grades have more repeat games against the same sides than do 10-team grades, and 10-team grades have more than 12-team grades, and so on.
Temporary unforeseen ground losses during a season are irrelevant to fixturing, they just have to be dealt with on an ad hoc basis as and when they occur; that's something else which has been the case since the year dot.

Or you could have 4x8 in 4 shield grades and play everyone twice like the NMCA do.

Would take some planning over more than just one winter to get it done but I think it’s the best thing moving forward.
From a "fair fixture" point of view, 4x8 (everybody plays each other twice) or 3x12 (everybody plays each other once) are the best choices.
In this respect, 3x10 is the least fair of the 3 alternatives because everybody plays each other once and only some teams twice, so the (literal) "luck of the draw" can become significant (unless, of course, you reduce the number of playing days and only have 9 rounds).

From a "fair fixture" point of view, 4x8 (everybody plays each other twice) or 3x12 (everybody plays each other once) are the best choices.
In this respect, 3x10 is the least fair of the 3 alternatives because everybody plays each other once and only some teams twice, so the (literal) "luck of the draw" can become significant (unless, of course, you reduce the number of playing days and only have 9 rounds).

Nobody has ever been able to give a legitimate reason as to why in a 2 day competition that we play 2 one day games.

Can someone please attempt to humour me?

Nobody has ever been able to give a legitimate reason as to why in a 2 day competition that we play 2 one day games.

Can someone please attempt to humour me?

There are 20 Saturdays of home and away cricket. In a 12 team grade, that's 9 games x 2 days + 2 games x 1 day. This was the case in the DVCA when Toddy first pulled on the wrap-around sunglasses.

First 2 games of the season were 1 dayers, then the remainder were 2 dayers. This led to complaints that you if you drew a weak team in a one-dayer, you were disadvantaged as you couldn't win outright.

To solve this there were a few A grade seasons which had 11 x 2 dayers, being 20 Saturdays and 2 Sundays. Of course, this led to complaints that people didn't want to play on a Sunday, no family time, too sore for work etc.

So it was back to 20 Saturdays. That means whatever number of teams you have in a grade you will always have a mixture of 2 dayers and 1 dayers, and teams won't play each other the same number of times.

There are 20 Saturdays of home and away cricket. In a 12 team grade, that's 9 games x 2 days + 2 games x 1 day. This was the case in the DVCA when Toddy first pulled on the wrap-around sunglasses.

First 2 games of the season were 1 dayers, then the remainder were 2 dayers. This led to complaints that you if you drew a weak team in a one-dayer, you were disadvantaged as you couldn't win outright.

To solve this there were a few A grade seasons which had 11 x 2 dayers, being 20 Saturdays and 2 Sundays. Of course, this led to complaints that people didn't want to play on a Sunday, no family time, too sore for work etc.

So it was back to 20 Saturdays. That means whatever number of teams you have in a grade you will always have a mixture of 2 dayers and 1 dayers, and teams won't play each other the same number of times.
Would people be opposed to each shield competition having 11 teams?
All 2 day cricket no issues.
Still the same amount of Saturday’s.

Would people be opposed to each shield competition having 11 teams?
All 2 day cricket no issues.
Still the same amount of Saturday’s.

Under your proposal each round would have a bye in each shield grade. But 2nds and below would not.

Does that mean all the shield players can play in the seconds during the bye? How would the rule work?

What if you’re a regular twos player, get put up to A grade for one round, but can’t go back down to the twos as the ones are having a bye and you’re not allowed to play?

Back to the drawing board champ.

Back