Dvca, Nmca And Hdca To Merge

Which Association Clubs will benefit the most from this merger

• Total voters
Maybe CV has looked at what will the HDCA and Jika be like in 2030. How many of their clubs will be able to survive with a small population growth and maybe an ageing population in the inner suburbs with most young families having to move out to new estates coz the inner suburbs land prices will be too expensive. Thoughts?

I bet the primary schools in the inner suburbs will still be full and if they are full then you have access to kids.
Generally speaking I don't think the game has a broad appeal to kids these days.

Maybe CV has looked at what will the HDCA and Jika be like in 2030. How many of their clubs will be able to survive with a small population growth and maybe an ageing population in the inner suburbs with most young families having to move out to new estates coz the inner suburbs land prices will be too expensive. Is it better to let these competions die out or maybe join them together with a strong DVCA. I still think clubs will disappear or merge but maybe the new entity will combine all the good ideas from each comp to form a super comp and make it the strongest suburban league in Melbourne. Membership must include each club having Intocricket programs. no kids no future. However the loss of kids to cricket may mean some radical moves to keep them interested. The kids in the top teams always seem to keep their love for the sport and could play the game in a traditional manner but most kids hate the fact that they don't get enough batting, bowling and total games of cricket in general. They hate fielding for too long and find it the more boring pastime of the game. Maybe 20/20s midweek( instead of a training night ) could solve this problem. Perhaps a standard season with 6 20/20s thrown in and each player must bat and bowl equally. Greensborough juniors had suggested to the HDCA 3 years ago to run an U17 20/20 carnival down at Chelesworth pk, Ivanhoe with teams playing on all 5 grounds with jumping castles for milo kids and bbqs and publicise the event to make it a real family day but it never went ahead. Maybe a day like this could succeed if it was organised by a bigger Northern region competition run by a proffessional board(CV can help with funding) instead of the smaller HDCA which has a handfull of workers running the comp but may find something like this too hard to organise. Thoughts?

You make some good points Goliath.
I think it's time for a lot of people to pull their heads out of the sand and start thinking outside the box.
I must admit to being a traditional tragic when it comes to cricket. I love Test cricket and it has taken me years to warm to the 20/20 concept. But like it or not, it is the future of cricket.
Having coached an Under 14 side this year for the first time, I have seen the ups and downs of young players as they struggle with form and struggle with their actual time involved in the game. We need to look at how we can increase each kids involvement in the game regardless of their ability. Otherwise they will walk away and play another sport. There are plenty of Summer Sport options these days and more competition than cricket has ever seen before.
We need new ideas and we need to look at different ways of doing things.
Here is one out of left-field for you. Play all Under 10's and Under 12's cricket as an 8 a side 20/20 competition. This means that every player will bat and bowl most weeks and there is a result every time they step onto the ground. No standing around for hours not being involved in the game, and more chance to make runs as there are less fielders. Let them hone their skills in this environment and then let them step up to longer forms of cricket as they get older.
We are losing kids at present to other local competitions, because they are offering different options, such as an Under 17's competition. By amalgamating the three competitions, we can standardise the way cricket is played across the Region and ensure that clubs can keep hold of their kids as they wont be leaving for other clubs that can offer them different forms and grades of cricket.
Cricket is changing. If we don't change with it, cricket may die a long slow death. That would be a sad journey and one that would personally break my heart. Don't sit there and think that cricket is healthy and that everything is OK. It's not and we need some inspiration and innovation to keep this great sport vibrant.
The time to act is now!

Anyone able to shed some light on the insignia shown on the front page of DVCA web site next to heading - "Special joint association announcement (by DVCA, HDCA and NMCA)... people needed to be on working parties... please volunteer by 25 Feb."

Anyone able to shed some light on the insignia shown on the front page of DVCA web site next to heading - "Special joint association announcement (by DVCA, HDCA and NMCA)... people needed to be on working parties... please volunteer by 25 Feb."

From what i can see, C, N & L are the 3 letters overlapping (order from bottom to top). The only think i can come up with out of these 3 would be - "Northern Cricket Leauge".

From what i can see, C, N & L are the 3 letters overlapping (order from bottom to top). The only think i can come up with out of these 3 would be - "Northern Cricket Leauge".

Had the same thought myself but wouldn't have thought that whoever posted the message would be so brazen. The steering committees haven't even been assembled so would've thought the insignia was very much before time. But then again is this merger much closer than we're being led to believe?

The powers at Cricket Vic have called the assocation the 'Northern Cricket League" for communication purposes only.
They have to call it something.
IF - the asscociations do decide to merge, the official name will be chosen then.

The powers at Cricket Vic have called the assocation the 'Northern Cricket League" for communication purposes only.
They have to call it something.
IF - the asscociations do decide to merge, the official name will be chosen then.

Was interesting talking to someone from the exec on the weekend who said "Its not IF the comp will go ahead, it IS going ahead and this committee will be working out finer details".

So what would be the potential roadblock to the current DVCA teams creating a break-away league?

Other than the administration.

So what would be the potential roadblock to the current DVCA teams creating a break-away league?

Sounds like a plan. I have played many 20+ seasons in the DVCA. This year I made the decision play in a comp where I have to drive all over the joint to get to games. This was for personal reasons not because of the DVCA. Noone knows each other in the comp rivalries arn't there, the passion isn't there and the care factor for the game of cricket is non F$(&*(# existant. Just because NMCA and HDCA are in the shit, why is the DVCA being dragged into mess????? Was looking forward to returning to play hard competitive cricket and reignite old rivalries. I'm not interested in playing cricket over that side of town and I'm 100% not on my own there.

Sounds like a plan. I have played many 20+ seasons in the DVCA. This year I made the decision play in a comp where I have to drive all over the joint to get to games. This was for personal reasons not because of the DVCA. Noone knows each other in the comp rivalries arn't there, the passion isn't there and the care factor for the game of cricket is non F$(&*(# existant. Just because NMCA and HDCA are in the shit, why is the DVCA being dragged into mess????? Was looking forward to returning to play hard competitive cricket and reignite old rivalries. I'm not interested in playing cricket over that side of town and I'm 100% not on my own there.

I have heard that the premier division will contain teams from the northern zone and the lower divisions will be divided into more localised regions. Its more a choice. If you want to play at an elite level you travel the whole northern zone. If not you can play locally. Has anyone heard the idea that in the future the northern league will field a district side with all its recruitng from the area and does anyone think the 3 leagues can supply enough talent to do so. Thoughts?

You could have a break away comp but it will be a hard sell. The successful clubs are very competetive. Thats why they are the top clubs. If they have a choice of playing in a Northern comp against other top clubs they will probably go that way. Then you may end up with your breakaway league that is weaker than what you are playing against now. You could end up with a small boutique style comp that may not be here in 20 years.

I wonder who and how they determine who the "top" teams are from each competition?
If the merger is a done deal then this is the biggest issue.
A Money Shield team or HDCA/Jika equivalent might win a flag for promotion one year and end up playing at a lower level the next year.

If Cricket Victoria is fair dinkum about junior development and creating a better stronger competition, then they need to get off hard wickets.... particularly these ones we have now. Its cringe worthy to watch young juniors playing cricket on these ridiculously bouncy wickets with balls bouncy up at there throats constantly how can they possibly learn cricket shots. How can anyone learn to bowl spin when the dismissal mode of bowled is effectively taken out of the equation.... and where is the reward for hitting through the line...

If Cricket Victoria is fair dinkum about junior development and creating a better stronger competition, then they need to get off hard wickets.... particularly these ones we have now. Its cringe worthy to watch young juniors playing cricket on these ridiculously bouncy wickets with balls bouncy up at there throats constantly how can they possibly learn cricket shots. How can anyone learn to bowl spin when the dismissal mode of bowled is effectively taken out of the equation.... and where is the reward for hitting through the line...

Do all councils put the same wickets in or is it just Banyule putting the green trampolines in. It seems that they have gone berserk in the last couple of years. Even Warawee pk in bundoora has a new bouncy wicket. Someone is making a lot of money laying crap thats for sure. Why is it all country kids play on turf and city kids play on concrete and rubber. I laughed when at a Jan cricket tournament I overheard some Shepparton parents complaining in total disbelief that they had just finished playing a game in a recent tournament on a synthetic pitch. They don't know how lucky they are do they.

as good as turf is , if it rains on a friday the game is called off i personally just want to play. Its funny a few years ago we were all complaining about the new wickets now when teams play at my home ground they are complaining that its old & flat deck and bowlers can not get nothing out of the pitch.

Now not wanting to defend the councils, but country cricket is fortunate enough that maybe each town only has to look after a handful of turf wickets.
Banyule for eg I think has 160 pitches to maintain. Would get mightily expensive for either the council (or in effect the clubs) to maintain turf wickets - even if just the top 2 teams (main grounds) for each club.
Would love to play on turf wickets, but not financiallyy viable in the city

The Maddocks wickets are a problem for junior development. The Northern region is not well off for turf wickets compared to the rest of the metro regions. A combined regional comp would be in a strong position to work with CV on issues such as this. Another aspect is to get the keen kids access to the few turf wickets that are in the region.

North Metro Cricket has 23 clubs playing in 9 senior divisions, plus juniors & vets etc. There are problems such as a 6 or so small clubs without juniors and a couple of these clubs are struggling a bit. This a fairly robust competition willing to consider the benefits of a single regional administration.
The proposal from the Association's Executives is planning for development and not a crisis management scenario. Travel and a host of issues will confront the Steering Committees. What is the best plan for cricket in this region? Clubs will be heard and I for one think it just great when people actually care enough to discuss the issues.

North Metro Cricket has 23 clubs playing in 9 senior divisions, plus juniors & vets etc. There are problems such as a 6 or so small clubs without juniors and a couple of these clubs are struggling a bit. This a fairly robust competition willing to consider the benefits of a single regional administration.
The proposal from the Association's Executives is planning for development and not a crisis management scenario. Travel and a host of issues will confront the Steering Committees. What is the best plan for cricket in this region? Clubs will be heard and I for one think it just great when people actually care enough to discuss the issues.

No disrespect to you Bill, but have you read the 5 pages on here in relation to the merger? It will be interested if clubs are heard as you say!

You could pretty much come to the conclusion that next to no one in the DVCA want the merger to go ahead. There are some people that may be interested, but as a general rule, we are happy and as the old saying goes "if it aint broke, don't fix it".

A lot of what you said was based on NMCA, how you're struggling, how you have clubs without juniors, how a combine comp could have more power with CV in relation to the pitches. I am sorry Bill, but that is complete and utter bulshit. that it purely to get peoples votes to merge, there is NOTHING that will be done to the pitches, it will be like this forever no, so people need to get used to it, and get over it. Whilst grounds have footy and cricket, these all weather pitches will remain.

And lastly, I feel for NMCA and that they are struggling, as well as the HDCA but that doesn't mean that you need to merge with a strong and successful comp in the DVCA. Why don't the two comps that seem to be excited about the merger (NMCA & HDCA) merge, and the comp that seems to have no members that want this to go ahead, stay on their own.

One more point, people have said that by the three comps merging it will strengthen the region and will be feeders to a future district side. WOW!!! thats great news, so that means we not only have the OP's (plenty Valley) raping and pillaging clubs, giving the kids bullshit expectations, and pissing in their pockets at the start of the year, then giving them nothing once the season starts. We are no going to have a district side out our way doing that too. And of course if there is a district side, they are going to have to fill 5 or so teams plus extras, then there is likely to be another subbies team out this way. Where do these players come from? YOUR CLUB BILL! That means that those poor 6 clubs that are struggling, are going to loose any good player they have!

Is the merger really worth it for ALL 3 comps? Or are HDCA and NMCA beyond repair and just now being put in the too hard basket?

Back