DVCA: Player movements and rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose that all depends upon you getting a game in your Ones next season. I hear Eltham have picked up some handy players for next season and no walk up starts anymore.

"I suppose that all depends upon you getting a game in your Ones next season" You are getting old after all. Are your reflexes shot yet?

As mentioned previously I hope to be playing Twos next season which will be in Money Shield. So you better hope your Ones can beat our Twos in Money Shield. Had a poor season with the bat last season, perhaps age catching up with me or just a poor season. Either way I am very keen to make a menz.

My spy's noticed a Riverside middle order bat, part time leggie, handy administrator in what looked to be serious negotiations at Panther Place this evening. Looks like he may be taking center to leg at eltham next season. :D

My spy's noticed a Riverside middle order bat, part time leggie, handy administrator in what looked to be serious negotiations at Panther Place this evening. Looks like he may be taking center to leg at eltham next season. :D

LOL.....your source failed to mention that Steve Gleeson was with me also at Panther Place on Friday night and Saturday Arvo.
Not sure the ECC need old timers like us but we certainly enjoy the footy down there.

Yeah can confirm that Willo is senior Coach and Rozzi will continue on as 1st XI captain next year.
Ok, I have to ask seeing as though no one else has the balls.....

Why would a premiership team, who regain their premiership coach, then pay a LARGE amount of money to get the coach of a club, who got them relegated for the first time in 150 years? Seems very odd to me.

In saying that, good luck to Willo, great guy and would be good if he could grab a flag on the way out!

Why would a premiership team, who regain their premiership coach, then pay a LARGE amount of money to get the coach of a club, who got them relegated for the first time in 150 years? Seems very odd to me.

In saying that, good luck to Willo, great guy and would be good if he could grab a flag on the way out!

You may ask that but I see a different slant.

I reckon WIllo is an excellent Coach, whilst I do not know what he was like at ECC, I know from reports at other Clubs and as a bloke that played football under him (when he would have rathered been playing) that he has great insight, studies opposition well and is an excellent motivator.

He seems to me to have more to offer than just giving it away and I reckon Plenty, as one of the most progressive clubs around have looked to someone from the outside, who has vast experience and will add to Rozzey and the others in A Grade and with Lovey, Pave and Hubbs all committed to helping out the lower grades he has a great chance to progress the Club forward, remember whilst their A grade won again their lower grades were terrible, something I know Plenty want to address this year. I reckon he was probably mad not to have a crack.

Grab a flag on the way out? Mate he has one, Barclay Shield, as a player!......You?

I reckon WIllo is an excellent Coach, whilst I do not know what he was like at ECC, I know from reports at other Clubs and as a bloke that played football under him (when he would have rathered been playing) that he has great insight, studies opposition well and is an excellent motivator.

He seems to me to have more to offer than just giving it away and I reckon Plenty, as one of the most progressive clubs around have looked to someone from the outside, who has vast experience and will add to Rozzey and the others in A Grade and with Lovey, Pave and Hubbs all committed to helping out the lower grades he has a great chance to progress the Club forward, remember whilst their A grade won again their lower grades were terrible, something I know Plenty want to address this year. I reckon he was probably mad not to have a crack.

Grab a flag on the way out? Mate he has one, Barclay Shield, as a player!......You?

Thats a fair call, it will be interesting to see how Plenty go over the next few years. When we lost 4 or 5 senior A grade players we struggled for a number of seasons, only two finals campaigns in ten years or so. With their gun kids gone I dont see much else coming through.

I think one of our greatest strengths in the past decade has been our ability to identify and recruit the right people to our club. Willo definately ticks all our boxes, experienced, professional, good character.

I'm not being arrogant when I say this, but if clubs were more diligent in their recruiting and did their homework on players I can guarentee that the competition would be in a better state long term. Paying blokes on ability alone does not work.

Thats a fair call, it will be interesting to see how Plenty go over the next few years. When we lost 4 or 5 senior A grade players we struggled for a number of seasons, only two finals campaigns in ten years or so. With their gun kids gone I dont see much else coming through.
I don't mean to be disrespectful but there is a major difference between your era ending and ours. All of our retired players are still heavily involved at our club. We still have 8 A grade premiership players playing next year including arguably the 2 best bowlers in the comp, 3 bats who would be in the top 10-15 in the DVCA. We are pretty positive we have enough young talent coming through, maybe you should have watched round 11 at Yulong this year.... :)

That comment was actually a positive. I wasn't having a crack at him there. We play to win flags, he is on the way out in his career (however many years that may be) and he would be crazy to not take up the chance to get one with the current premiers. And I wish him all the best.

Football and cricket are two very different sports, and whilst I understand what you are saying about footy, as i have played footy under him too, I have also seen the cricket side. And fact is, he was coach of a club who got 4 of 5 teams relegated. And i believe it was one of the first years ECC didn't have a team in finals. I just think that it is a very odd decision from PLenty. Time will tell!

I think one of our greatest strengths in the past decade has been our ability to identify and recruit the right people to our club. Willo definately ticks all our boxes, experienced, professional, good character.

I'm not being arrogant when I say this, but if clubs were more diligent in their recruiting and did their homework on players I can guarentee that the competition would be in a better state long term. Paying blokes on ability alone does not work.

Its funny you say that, there have been little or no recruits over the past few years. We pick up Donno (MS Bowling award winner), Gutto (MS Comp award winner) and Kennel (Gun bat and ex captain/coach) yet people have negative thoughts about these recruits. We got off our arses and chased very very good cricketers and got them.

Plenty have always been freaks at getting very very good players. Don't know if your budget is bigger, but gee you get some good gets.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but there is a major difference between your era ending and ours. All of our retired players are still heavily involved at our club. We still have 8 A grade premiership players playing next year including arguably the 2 best bowlers in the comp, 3 bats who would be in the top 10-15 in the DVCA. We are pretty positive we have enough young talent coming through, maybe you should have watched round 11 at Yulong this year.... :)

Not sure that the talent is quite there after seeing your 2nds and 3rds perform. From what I saw you don't have a player in the 2nds ready to compete at Barclay Shield level and your 3rds lost outright in a day late in the year against Riverside I think. Plenty will still be competitive because they have avery strong winning culture but without Lovey in the team to steer the ship I think that a reasonable slide down the ladder should be expected. But who knows.....

Its funny you say that, there have been little or no recruits over the past few years. We pick up Donno (MS Bowling award winner), Gutto (MS Comp award winner) and Kennel (Gun bat and ex captain/coach) yet people have negative thoughts about these recruits. We got off our arses and chased very very good cricketers and got them.

Plenty have always been freaks at getting very very good players. Don't know if your budget is bigger, but gee you get some good gets.
I wasn't refering to Eltham CC but the DVCA as a whole. In my years at Plenty I think we have had 1 senior recruit come and go in that time and 1 go and come back. The key to building a successful winning culture and good club environment for all is recruiting the right people. Not blokes who will be around for 1/2 years, chasing coin at the end of the season.

Not sure that the talent is quite there after seeing your 2nds and 3rds perform. From what I saw you don't have a player in the 2nds ready to compete at Barclay Shield level and your 3rds lost outright in a day late in the year against Riverside I think. Plenty will still be competitive because they have avery strong winning culture but without Lovey in the team to steer the ship I think that a reasonable slide down the ladder should be expected. But who knows.....
I happy if people believe believe we don't have any kids in the 2nds capable of playing A grade next season, because internally we know there is alot of ability from about half a dozen that have already had a taste of playing Barclay Shirld last season. People may also be forgetting the added bonus that Hubs and Lovie have both retired from A grade cricket and not the lower grades. Part of their reasoning is to becoming playing mentors with all our younger boys. This is something we haven't had for probably 3-5 years at Plenty and pretty much the time our 3rds and 4ths started to struggle.

All in all out club is definately in a rebuilding stage and we have identified that, however with a couple of our former juniors returning from Premier cricket our 1st XI in my opinion we be a super tough side to beat this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back