Dvca: Season 2011-2012

Goliath, think you will find this trend in numbers across the whole country/world - not just limited to the DVCA.
Cricket is a dying sport in its traditional formats - have you noticed the attendance at the Sri Lankan tests recently...?
hence the recent into of 20/20 etc...

Agreed we shouldnt kill of ideas but not really sure how the 'world' can address this decline. There are simply too many other options for kids - or even adult players - to do now. Cricket is a very time demanding sport, there are many other 'shorter' options to particpate in.
Defeatest attitude maybe, but hard to argue with the facts... :(

Yep think you are spot on there Prez.

I often wonder about the cost of participation at junior level as well. There can be quite a financial layout to put your child on the park. Subs, clothing ( + coloured is creeping in now ), bats, protection gear, kit bags, cricket shoes. It goes on and on and it would go without saying the kids will be pumping the parents for the latest and greatest which equals $$$'s. I wonder if all this also scares off a percentage of parents? Especially if they are not all that into cricket themselves to start with even if their kids are. I myself am not aware of how cricket compares in this regard to other junior sports these days.

Anyway I would prefer to stay positive about the future. Cricket will re-invent itself I am sure.

i think you will find that for a sport that goes from october till march for around $100 (subs) it is quite cheap, i know kids want there gear but pads and bats last 2 years for young kids, i would take a boy playing cricket versus a girl playing netball,singing and dancing = $$$$$$$$

i think you will find that for a sport that goes from october till march for around $100 (subs) it is quite cheap, i know kids want there gear but pads and bats last 2 years for young kids, i would take a boy playing cricket versus a girl playing netball,singing and dancing = $$$$$$$$

I agree about the subs, I think the local clubs do a great job of keeping that very reasonable. You also make a good point on how long the gear lasts once it is acquired. I hadn't thought hard enough about that. Gee that has just about cleaned my comments out then.

ha ha from the sounds of it you seem to be talking from experience re the girls activities. I will just count myself lucky I haven't had to contend with that then.

Unfortunate to note 125 junior team nominations. That will decrease by around 5 by seasons start I'd reckon. Thats 15 to 20 less junior sides since 2009/10. Hope no smartarse clubs stand in the way of any new ideas that might fix this drop in numbers. The classic DVCA comment of "if it aint broke why change it" needs to be banned from this site and all DVCA meetings I reckon.
Are the wheels turning, are there finally more people coming around to the new way of thinking. The 'proposal' that was brought up in the off season, must be rehatched, rethought and reproduced to the Clubs, with ALL voting FOR the entire area becoming 'one' (if only on the Junior format) and producing games or cricket mid week and friday night, of a much shorter version for the U12's and development grades.
Until kids are 13 or 14 they do not need to play long games of cricket, what they need and want is to PLAY, and this does not mean sitting and watching, they WANT to be doing, so the rules need to be addressed as well.

Don't worry about the "if it aint broke" line, I have been hearing things such as "but what will the Ray Christensen medal be known as". This argument is not about us 30 somethings, it is about the kids and that is all that needs to said.

Yep think you are spot on there Prez.

I often wonder about the cost of participation at junior level as well. There can be quite a financial layout to put your child on the park. Subs, clothing ( + coloured is creeping in now ), bats, protection gear, kit bags, cricket shoes. It goes on and on and it would go without saying the kids will be pumping the parents for the latest and greatest which equals $$$'s. I wonder if all this also scares off a percentage of parents? Especially if they are not all that into cricket themselves to start with even if their kids are. I myself am not aware of how cricket compares in this regard to other junior sports these days.

Anyway I would prefer to stay positive about the future. Cricket will re-invent itself I am sure.
A massive reason of why our Club is charging only $50 for our junior kids, and this includes the new coloured shirt, so we are running at a slight loss, but see this as the only way forward to attract and keep our kids, and also making sure that there are things at the Club on Friday and Saturday nights to keep the parents busy and make the time pass quicker.

Are the wheels turning, are there finally more people coming around to the new way of thinking. The 'proposal' that was brought up in the off season, must be rehatched, rethought and reproduced to the Clubs, with ALL voting FOR the entire area becoming 'one' (if only on the Junior format) and producing games or cricket mid week and friday night, of a much shorter version for the U12's and development grades.
Until kids are 13 or 14 they do not need to play long games of cricket, what they need and want is to PLAY, and this does not mean sitting and watching, they WANT to be doing, so the rules need to be addressed as well.

Don't worry about the "if it aint broke" line, I have been hearing things such as "but what will the Ray Christensen medal be known as". This argument is not about us 30 somethings, it is about the kids and that is all that needs to said.

Some fantastic common sense and reality checks in there WU. As I have commented in the past, static thinking will only result in any entity eventually becoming irrelevant. Your points should be a wake up call for all those still dozing in the past.

A massive reason of why our Club is charging only $50 for our junior kids, and this includes the new coloured shirt, so we are running at a slight loss, but see this as the only way forward to attract and keep our kids, and also making sure that there are things at the Club on Friday and Saturday nights to keep the parents busy and make the time pass quicker.

Awesome! Anyway there are ways to recoup such loses through the season with fun, entertaining and enjoyable family oriented club social events.

Can you tell the everyone how long this has been in place?
This has been going for 3 years now.The original concept was suggested by a junior co-ordinator and a junior coach from G'boro to have a round robin event at Chelsworth park in Ivanhoe where there are 5 grounds next to eachother and teams play each other in a carnival type atmosphere on a Sunday with BBQs and jumping castles etc so the whole family would turn up. This would involve much work so it was decided to just run the knockout comp on Tuesdays at 5pm. Kids enjoy it and sometimes the bottom sides knock off the top sides as 20/20s can create quite a contest.

The colored shirts is a great idea. Sounds like you have a good supplier for your shirts at a reasonable cost. Any chance of saying who your supplier is as other clubs may use them.

Good idea. But we need to offer a weekly T20 game to kids who just want to play T20.

Correct.

As Goliath reveals, junior 20/20 is already under way in our region. Maybe it would even be possible to have a combined associations competition that runs weekly. A sort of super 20/20 junior comp. Whoops now I am getting carried away. :rolleyes:

The colored shirts is a great idea. Sounds like you have a good supplier for your shirts at a reasonable cost. Any chance of saying who your supplier is as other clubs may use them.

Bundoora CC used Hot Sublimation. Priced around $30 ea for 50. ( didnt organise not not 100%)

Costs can be mostly re-covered through sponsors on the shirts.

Bundoora CC used Hot Sublimation. Priced around $30 ea for 50. ( didnt organise not not 100%)

Costs can be mostly re-covered through sponsors on the shirts.
We also used Hot Sub in Thomastown, a great contact and more than willing to recommend. It is a slightly higher cost than our senior shirt, but as mentioned, we are just trying to keep our kids interested long enough to have them interesed in actually playing a longer version of the game. Always willing to try new things, we have run clinics at many primary schools this year for great results. A real pity is that we have not have a Junior AGM/meeting to discuss merging options for clubs and also future prospects.
We MUST have all 60 clubs put teams in joint pools next year for the betterment of kids playing cricket. Imagine cricket being played 5 nights and days a week in the area, it would start to get people talking about it again.

Just had a look at the junior gradings on the website. Looks like Lower Plenty has 19 junior teams! Is this possible? Am I reading this right? Is that a record?

Just had a look at the junior gradings on the website. Looks like Lower Plenty has 19 junior teams! Is this possible? Am I reading this right? Is that a record?

Don't get too excited there five80. Lower have only nominated for 9 to 10 junior teams this season.

Back