Favorite Batsman

I think, I like players who are admired, and not when the delivery reaches the boundary. Tendulkar is supposed to be different to 'liking'. In Mumbai, he isn't 'admired', and he isn't seen as exactly 'Gavaskar', or any great in the history of the Mumbai team. The Mumbai team has had cricketers who believe in the religion. These gentlemen have made the team. I think my favorite batsman was Gary Kersten. I saw him win a match against New Zealand when India was playing Australia under Ganguly, down under. How a man with so much fussiness to his batting, could win in Wellington, perhaps, shows what kind of batsman can bat there. He won the game, when South Africa needed, eventually, 200 runs to win, with not much more to make. He seemed naturally unhappy, and his batting was pretty difficult to watch.

What I appreciate is, I never watched 'The Golden Bear', play Golf, nor did I ever see footage of Ian Chappell, in any Cricket match. What distresses, is that people who watch, might underwhelm themselves.

Growing up I was always a fan of Mark Waugh. He just played the most beautiful cricket going around and, as a result of emulating his elegant play off his pads in particular, I am much stronger playing through leg side than off.

Other favourites over the years have included VVS Laxman and Kumar Sangakkara. I have a great admiration for Michael Clarke's versatility too - his wagon wheels are always extremely balanced.

Growing up I was always a fan of Mark Waugh. He just played the most beautiful cricket going around and, as a result of emulating his elegant play off his pads in particular, I am much stronger playing through leg side than off.

Other favourites over the years have included VVS Laxman and Kumar Sangakkara. I have a great admiration for Michael Clarke's versatility too - his wagon wheels are always extremely balanced.

What was Gary Sobers like - anyone know?

He wasn't particularly renowned for the silky classical play of someone like Worrell but he had some of the fastest footwork going around, and perhaps the most exquisite sense of timing of any batsman to play the game. He used to stand well out of the crease and rely on his lightning reflexes rather than strength to hit the ball aggressively.

He must have been an amazing player to see in his prime, just a pure natural cricketer.

EDIT: Here is a highlights reel of his 254 against Australia for the Rest Of The World team in 1971:

Interesting. I'd say Phil Hughes has been harshly dealt with and should be stuck with for sure but still undecided if he's going to turn into a world-class batsmen or not.

Thought it was harsh when he was dropped in the Ashes.

My favourite batsman would be Mark Waugh and Ricky Ponting (can't split them).
Used to try and emulate Mark Waugh's aggressiveness when I batted, but unfortunately I normally got stumped or caught trying to do so.

Back