Footscray Cricket Association

Re: Footscray Cricket Association

WDCAcricketer;153168 said:
There were some sensational players in the FCA through the closing stages of the comp. Thought ld start a segment, where are they now? If l missed any good players, let me know and will add them to the list.

BUCKS-
Mick Davies
Alex Luca
Don Grey
Paul Ingis

Dale Mc Veigh

VUT/FIT
Michael Sammut
Reg Bennit
Phil Crea- (With Grand United now)
Marty Farrugia
Manilo

WRFL
Joe Farrugia
Peter Betson
Wayne O'Connor
Gordan Salopek
Shane Lucas

MARIBYRNONG
Andrew Clark
Brad Krohn
Jamie Chatteron
Andrew Mosca
John Rainone

TOTTENHAM
Len Balcom- (Currently at Newport Digman)
John Mikelakos
Michael Tuzni
Harold Kelly

BALMORAL
Chirs Hill
Shane Dreier
Mark Wallen

LAUREL
Robert McDonald
Shane McEachran (Currently at Yarraville Club)
Steve Nickolic

YARRAVILLE CLUB
Greg Evans
Gary Tuner (Retired?)
Mal Brown Kerr

FOOTSCRAY ANA
Tony Gustin
Karl Kivienen
Pau Kukucka (Still Playing)
Graeme Hodgart (Retired)

MELTON SOUTH
M.Carol
B.Hickey

Currently playing at Laverton B Matting

CRICKET COACH

The Coronet City Cricket Club affiliated with the BCA turf wicket competition seeks to appoint a Non-Playing or Playing Coach to lead and assist the Club climb the ranks of Ballarat’s premier cricket competition.

You will have demonstrated communication skills with players at all senior levels and will be assisted by a stable and committed administration.

Significant remuneration linked to your experience, knowledge and ability is available for the right person. Applications, marked Confidential are to be received by April 9th. and mailed to

The President
Coronet City CC
P O Box 4031
Alfredton 3350

i played in footscray in 1980 but cant remember who for lol. we trained at angliss reserve and shared clubrooms with parkside football club in farnsworth avenue.anybody know what happened to the club?we had Aturf and bturf competitions. some of the surnames i remember were, Dorgan, Febey,Barbuto,Goodyer,Smith[brothers from yarrawonga],.anybody help?

Could have been Footscray Tech, they played at Parkside footy ground although the Febey you mentioned played at Bucks and West Footscray, Barry was his name.

Tottenham played out of parkside , FIT were across farnsworth ave where Footscray Edgewater 3s & 4s play now.

Mitcha;343038 said:
Could have been Footscray Tech, they played at Parkside footy ground although the Febey you mentioned played at Bucks and West Footscray, Barry was his name.

Thx Mitcha, one was Ross Febey afiery red head fast bowler the other was Gary Febey a right hand batsman. The others were Paul Dorgan,Boof Dorgan, dont know his real name.Paul Barbuto,Wayne&Phil Goodyer,Neville&Geoff Smith .The name Footscray Colts rings a bell .Thx for your time mate.

Thx Mitcha, one was Ross Febey afiery red head fast bowler the other was Gary Febey a right hand batsman. The others were Paul Dorgan,Boof Dorgan, dont know his real name.Paul Barbuto,Wayne&Phil Goodyer,Neville&Geoff Smith .The name Footscray Colts rings a bell .Thx for your time mate.

Definitely the Colts,I played there for many years myself,then Yarraville club and VUT, Colts had their rooms at Parkside(the old ones that have been pulled down since) know all the blokes you mentioned apart from Ross Febey maybe you mean Ross Bird, and Gary Febey must be Chooka Febey that played in the 4ths.Colts were a powerhouse in the FCA and produced many great players many of whom went on to play or come from district sides.

add Larry Simmons and Len Balcam to YCCC. Don McKenzie also played with them when they were in the MCL in the 1970s.

Shane McEachran now in WA, working the mines around Port Hedland IIRC

add Larry Simmons and Len Balcam to YCCC. Don McKenzie also played with them when they were in the MCL in the 1970s.

Shane McEachran now in WA, working the mines around Port Hedland IIRC

Larry Simmons came from the Colts before he went to Yarraville club, as did Bob Turner and Gary Turner, Don McKenzie's brother Geoff was at Yarraville Club as well,Len Balcam coached Tottenham after he left Yarraville Club,and played with former local legend Johnny Sharpe(6 time Footscray Champion player)

saints.JPG
St Albans Breakwater cc (Geelong Cricket Association) is seeking a playing senior batting coach & 1st XI captain for the 2011/12 season.
Applicants must have level 1 accreditation or be willing to undergo training.
The successful applicant will have last season’s premiership winning captain/coach Justin Miller to remain as bowling coach and player.
Remuneration will be negotiable.
Please forward interest and/or resume to jayaa2012@hotmail.com or contact John Irvine 0433634099

Out of all those players only got a chance to play against Burrows, he was a good player, l beleive played district too. Always had a good rivalry against BUCKS, and all their games were a tough battle. Their first were kings of intimidation. I still remember the famous post Grand Final punch up in the mid 90's when they won the A Turf Primership, and we won the B Turf. Lasted about 5 minutes in between BUCKS and ANA'S rooms, couple of good whacks were landed and in the end most of our guys ended up drinking with them in BUCKS room, figure that one out! Must say their rooms were always buzzing with people, a shame they folded...
I Have Just came across your site. I umpired for over 20 years there was lucky enough to do some GREAT A turf grand finals with Ronny Johns. That was the days of some wonderful cricketers. Footscray City had great players,there was Bucks, United West Footscray etc etc etc

Which teams were the hardest to beat?

Always thought BUCKS were very strong in the 90's, much like the Collingwood of the FCA, played hard but always good for a drink after the game.
Footscray City in A turf were the side to beat, there Captain John was an excellent cricketer and leader. Colts were the bad guys and very hard to beat.

Footscray Cricket Association

Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone here used to play in the old FCA. Unfortunately the comp died many years ago but in its prime there were some sensational players running around.
Again you didn't need to look to far BUCKS early 70s and then City. the best player i say was John Sharp.

Larry Simmons came from the Colts before he went to Yarraville club, as did Bob Turner and Gary Turner, Don McKenzie's brother Geoff was at Yarraville Club as well,Len Balcam coached Tottenham after he left Yarraville Club,and played with former local legend Johnny Sharpe(6 time Footscray Champion player)
Larry Simmons a great player, Len played near the end of the association. It would have wonderful to see against John Sharp.

I remember playing there, when there was five wickets in play. These days, only two wickets are used on a Saturday, with ANA & Kingsville Baptist using them, while a 3rd wicket used on Sundays by the Churches comp. Next year apparently the council are going to move both ANA'S and Kingsville wickets in the middle of the ground, only having the two wickets in play. Just as well l guess, though must admitt just isnt the same atmosphere as years gone by.
Can you please let me know that years you are talking about. i didn't know the churches played on the turf wickets.

There were other strong teams playing in the FCA in the 80s at one stage, Yarraville Club, Footscray United, Wembley, Footscray City, RAAF, and three new commers in the last coulple of seasons in the FCA, Melton South, Bellbridge & Thorobreds.

Sad to say quite a few of the old clubs have folded since the FCA went under: Bucks, Maribyrnong, Laurel ,V.U.T/Tottenham which merged and folded couple of years later, Footscray City and West Rec/West Footscray.

Out of the Founding members of the FCA, l beleive only Yarraville Club & Footscray ANA have survived to date.
Are you talking at matting? Wembley, RAAF,

Just letting all those past FCA players know, that there is a big 75th reunion being organised for the FCA. We are attempting to have a combined team of past FCA players play a game against past Footscray ANA players as its also their 75th Reunion. Its anticpated that this reunion will be in middle of March at Angliss Reserve in Yarraville. I will post the date when it becomes Available. There will be adds place in various local news papers in the comming weeks.
It would be nice if they have and other union i would love to come. I missed John's funeral to see the city team

Back