ICC Champions Trophy 2009

ICC Champions Trophy 2009 - Winner

• Total voters
Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2009

Im more talking about players White, Hopes, Watson and Paine.

You really can't expect to much from these guys and yet they make up a pretty significant part of our order. When they go to the crease you don't expect them to make a hundred, or impose themselves on the contest.

They had some success in England, but against the better sides I really can't see that quartlet scoring at the required rate in ODI cricket.

I think Watson is a decent test match player, but im not sure so in the ODI's.

I guess my point is that we lack a player, outside Ponting, who is consistently capable of striking at 80+ runs pert hundred balls.

For mine, we need a few more of those players.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;366748 said:
Im more talking about players White, Hopes, Watson and Paine.

You really can't expect to much from these guys and yet they make up a pretty significant part of our order. When they go to the crease you don't expect them to make a hundred, or impose themselves on the contest.

They had some success in England, but against the better sides I really can't see that quartlet scoring at the required rate in ODI cricket.

I think Watson is a decent test match player, but im not sure so in the ODI's.

I guess my point is that we lack a player, outside Ponting, who is consistently capable of striking at 80+ runs pert hundred balls.

For mine, we need a few more of those players.

yeah they were the guys i was talking about too.

watson is a better ODI player then test, he was one of the better players a few years ago but his injury problems kept him out of the side. i especially remember a four-for against the world XI.

well now that the bowling attack has returned to a bit of normality we have those sort of players in the bowling side of things. lee, bracken, hopes and johnson we all know what we are to expect from them every time, and we almost always get it.

the batting line up is different though. we are missing the hayden or bevan.

any thoughts on the person who could do that?

Now thats how you take a powerplay, 68 runs off 5 overs. Get that into ya Edward, always best to take the powerplay late in the innings when the batsmen can just swing.

Boris;366749 said:
yeah they were the guys i was talking about too.

watson is a better ODI player then test, he was one of the better players a few years ago but his injury problems kept him out of the side. i especially remember a four-for against the world XI.

well now that the bowling attack has returned to a bit of normality we have those sort of players in the bowling side of things. lee, bracken, hopes and johnson we all know what we are to expect from them every time, and we almost always get it.

the batting line up is different though. we are missing the hayden or bevan.

any thoughts on the person who could do that?

I thought David Warner was the player who could provide us with some pure striking ability, but he probably doesnt deserve a spot on form.

I really don't see any player that deserves to come into the side that can play explosive innings. Its more what message is being given to the likes of Paine and Watson.

Id like to see them go on the attack some more, especially Watson.

Was good to see with Lee bowling rubbish wide of off stump then down leg side and conceding alot of runs, the great Peter Siddle comes on and bowls a maiden :D

Great bowling by Siddle, gets hit for a couple of boundaries but bounces back by dismissing the batsman with a ripper of a bouncer

West Indies 1/38 (6 overs)
Smith 17 (16)
Fletcher 8* (18)
Siddle 1/12
Lee 0/16 (3 wides)
Been 10 leg byes mostly from Lee rubbish down the leg side

Yeah then Siddle gets hit for 2 fours in 2 balls, gee Lee is frustating, you can always bank on Lee bowling a wide in his first ball or a no ball and going for at least 10.

Edward I think you have been well and truly PWNED on the powerplay business. Clearly it is better to take it late, the field is up, your swinging, you get max value for your shots. You dont get max value when the field is back.

game just swaying in favour of Pakistan at the moment. India 134-4 off 25(ish), they can still do it but can't afford to lose many more wickets.

Also, I moved a few of the post talking about the power play into the power play thread, save us clogging us this thread.

Has to be Pakistans game now as Dravid has just been run out.

India need 65 runs with 3 wickets and 48 balls remaining...

New Zealand in a bit of a flap, 194-5 against Sri Lanka. 15 overs to go but they'll be looking for at least another 75/100 here.

NZ got to 315, Sri Lanka fell short in the end, all out for 277. That virtually eliminates them from contention which is a big surprise considering how well they did in their first game.

Group B is wide open now which makes for good viewing. Hopefully Group A can be close as well to set up some really good semi-finals.

England are running amok in the other match against South Africa, 7/302 in the 48th over. Shah made 98, Collingwood 82 and Morgan is 60 not out from 31 balls.

Parnell has three wickets for South Africa but has been carted again.

England finished on 8/323. South Africa have a lot of work to do, if they lose they are just about gone.

You'd think England would be able to defend that considering no other side has chased down a 300+ target yet in this tournament.

England win and go through the semi finals. Not something you'd have expected this time last week.

Fantastic knock by Smith, shame he had to finish on the losing side. Whilst he was there you always felt that South Africa had a chance.

Back