ICC Champions Trophy 2009

ICC Champions Trophy 2009 - Winner

• Total voters
Re: Injured Clarke to head home

NZ and Vettori being good sports and playing within the spirit of the game, unbelievable!

Mills to Collingwood, no run, run-out appeal, banged in short outside off, left alone, Collingwood walks down the pitch, McCullum throws down the stumps at the striker's end, the umpires are consulting, had the umpire Harper called over by the time the batsman walked down? Daryl Harper talks to Vettori, who chats with his team-mates to come up with a decision. The third umpire has given it out, but there are still discussions happening out in the middle. Collingwood has a word with Vettori, and the New Zealand captain's decided to withdraw the appeal and allowed Collingwood to continue.

Vettori and Collingwood shook hands once the decision was made. It all boils down to whether the umpire had called Over, if he hadn't Collingwood was technically out. But they've resolved it now. So on with the game

England are all out for 146. Grant Elliott was the unlikely hero, claiming 4/31 to continue on the work done by Mills and Bond. Bond finished with 3/21 with Mills, Vettori and Bulter all taking one wicket each.

So the Kiwis will need 147 to win, if they can get that they will play in the semi-finals. The pitch still has something in it but they should be confident enough of getting there.

mas cambios;367352 said:
Bong has a nice ring to it. I reckon that's a deliberate typo!

He's been smoking the opposition. :cool:

Whilst I don't think England would 'throw' this game, it does suit them to have New Zealand rather than Sri Lanka going through...

Re: ICC Champions Trophy 2009

mas cambios;365728 said:
Favourites for the semi finals would have to be South Africa, Australia, India and Sri Lanka.

Looking at 1/4 here mas. :D

Glad to see Pakistan and New Zealand through. Makes a change from the usual suspects.

and to think i actually put NZ in the semis.

that was my raging punt that i always have to have. good on them.

Wow, just came back from a long walk and Pakistan are back in it. Hopefully we can hang on.

So the semis have been decided, Pakistan will play New Zealand and Australia will play England.

Last game is still in progress, West Indies were bowled out for 129. Ashish Nehra and Praveen Kumar cleaned up taking three wickets each. Harbhajan Singh snared two and even MS Dhoni got a wicket with his mediums!

In reply India are 2/23, Gambhir was bowled by Roach for 6 and then Dravid ran himself out for 4.

Deep down i bet the head honchos up at the ICC are secretly praying that Australia get through to the final, because you can bet your bottom dollar if England get through that they would get absolutely smashed and the final would be a one-sided squib. Not to mention the devaluing of the tournament if a mediocre side like England make the final.

You are saying that if England beat Australia and hence deservedly qualify for the final then they are sure to be destoyed by New Zealand or Pakistan, and the ICC is fully aware of this?

Yes I am. The ICC would be hoping like hell that England don't make the final, because as we saw against NZ, they are an ordinary ODI team and they are likely to get smashed by whoever plays them.

The ICC want this comp to be a success, a crucial part of that objective is a great final, something we haven't had in a major ODI comp since 2004, when England actually had a decent team.

England making the final is likely to result in a massive choke, a collapse, and a romping win to the team that plays them, hence, a boring final and calls from the masses that the comp is flawed in that a crap team like England made the final.

Im personally hoping for an Australian - Pakistan final, the teams are well matched, as evidenced by the 3-2 series scoreline earlier this year. Additionally, you have the Pakistan spin bowlers that will test quality batsmen, and you have quality pace bowlers on the Australian team that will go up against the quality Pakistan batsmen.

Who would you want to see more, Brett Lee charging in and tandem with Johnson, or a spud like Anderson running in to Guptil from NZ?

The Aussies and the Pakistani's have just played out IMO the best game of the competition, lets hope they both make the finals and we can be treated to a rematch involving high quality players on both sides going toe to toe.

Rather then spuds like Bopara and Shah facing some trudler from NZ.

If I was a neutral I'd know which contest i'd rather face, and its the Australians V the Pakistanis.

India won the game against West Indies by the way, Virat Kohli hit 79 to guide India to a seven wicket win.

As for the finals, Australia and Pakistan would have to go in favourites. England will be aware that they beat Australia in the final NatWest ODI and New Zealand have played reasonably well so far so in my opinion, the games will be fairly close contests.

I hope not, I hope the Australias blow England out of the water, and then I hope Pakistan win.

I then hope the final is a cliffhanger for the ages, it doesn't worry me who wins, I love ODI cricket, having a great final would be great boost for this format, as well as our home summer with Pakistan coming out.

All in all, I just want to see the best players play off in the final. Not a bunch of spuds like Bopara and Wright FFS.

I do not understand the thought process that would result in somebody thinking 'If England beat Australia in the semi final then they will surely get destroyed in the final by a team who is inferior to Australia'

Why would they want Australia in the final? Every final they play in is a 1 sided thrashing

England will put a better fight than New Zealand or are you basically saying the ICC would only want a Pakistan v Australia final? Becuase there is no way the ICC would want to see a team who never wins anything actually do well, its definately a failure of a tournament if Australia dont win another trophy...

eddiesmith;367796 said:
Becuase there is no way the ICC would want to see a team who never wins anything actually do well, its definately a failure of a tournament if Australia dont win another trophy...

And how bout those ashes ay? Australia ALWAYS win the ashes, it must be an elaborate conspiracy...

Back