mmvca

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: mmvca

hagman;289535 said:
well funny you might bring up this subject not long a go someone mouthed off about the coach of pascoe vale and named himself as george georgio was it george?? only jeffs got the answer to that ???ping by the way his a great coach with what he has and what he has to deal with after all pascoe vale is the rolls royce of the comp stf

ahaha pacco are a rabble....as mentioned earlier on do they ever make the top 4!! They need to recruit some quality blokes and also chuck in a bit of ability, which could be handy. You get the feeling that for most of them its either their way or the highway.

Interesting debate on the fast bowlers.
Appleyard - Nathan Buckley - All the ability, consistent performer, has to carry the team, no A Turf premierships
Costello - James Hird - Very reliable, throw him anywhere and does the job (bat,bowl,field), saves his best for the best, A Turf flag
Newton - Michael Voss - hard-nosed competitor, never gives an inch, will go all day, couple A Turf flags

Wal05, I think you need to ease up on criticising the back-to-back premiership captain. If anyone deserves respect in this competition its him.

I'm all for the West Coburg comments though, the big fella is gone but I get the feeling the noose is still very much entrenched down there. Lets see if they can pull one out come Saturday!

hagman;289535 said:
well funny you might bring up this subject not long a go someone mouthed off about the coach of pascoe vale and named himself as george georgio was it george?? only jeffs got the answer to that ???ping by the way his a great coach with what he has and what he has to deal with after all pascoe vale is the rolls royce of the comp stf

ahaha pacco are a rabble....as mentioned earlier on do they ever make the top 4!! They need to recruit some quality blokes and also chuck in a bit of ability, which could be handy. You get the feeling that for most of them its either their way or the highway.

Appleyard - Nathan Buckley - All the ability, consistent performer, has to carry the team, no A Turf premierships
Costello - James Hird - Very reliable, throw him anywhere and does the job (bat,bowl,field), saves his best for the best, A Turf flag
Newton - Michael Voss - hard-nosed competitor, never gives an inch, will go all day, couple A Turf flags

Wal05, I think you need to ease up on criticising the back-to-back premiership captain. If anyone deserves respect in this competition its him.

I'm all for the West Coburg comments though, the big fella is gone but I get the feeling the noose is still very much entrenched down there. Lets see if they can pull one out come Saturday!

banno36;289543 said:

Paco are well led by their captain. he sets the standard and his team follow. i honestly cant remember the last time ross scored more than 25 runs and his team generally follow!!! the worst thing about ross though is his whining. i agree banno that paco are under achievers.

On the bowlers, how many wickets did newton get in each grand final?

Banno, i will not refrain from giving my opinions on anyone in this comp especially those at the top. just cos someone has won back to back flags does not make them exempt and with this decision in particular i will give the great man little respect. nor will many of his team mates. i will enjoy seeing just how long he sticks around in a side not winning flags. too old? time will tell.

banno36;289543 said:

Paco are well led by their captain. he sets the standard and his team follow. i honestly cant remember the last time ross scored more than 25 runs and his team generally follow!!! the worst thing about ross though is his whining. i agree banno that paco are under achievers.

On the bowlers, how many wickets did newton get in each grand final?

Banno, i will not refrain from giving my opinions on anyone in this comp especially those at the top. just cos someone has won back to back flags does not make them exempt and with this decision in particular i will give the great man little respect. nor will many of his team mates. i will enjoy seeing just how long he sticks around in a side not winning flags. too old? time will tell.

Re: Covers

hagman;289538 said:
dont kid yourself dave hall and west coburg has set the mark for clubs to inject kids into their top sides callam is proof in the pudding well done dave go west .......not really

I'm only a Johnny Come Lately but I think it's fair to say that most clubs have been promoting youth for a number of years. Obviously results differ.

You only have to look at the U21 for the last 3 seasons and note that most of those lads have played a bit of A grade (and some a lot).

Sides that come to mind are St Francis, West Coburg, Glenroy, Merylo.

Take Glenroy for instance, this week they would have to have 6 players under the age of 23. Last season St Francis pushed through the youth and are seeing the strong results this season.

If the clubs and comp can keep the young blokes interested it should be a great comp long after us useless old blokes are long forgotten (if we were ever remembered it in the 1st place)!

hagman;289538 said:
dont kid yourself dave hall and west coburg has set the mark for clubs to inject kids into their top sides callam is proof in the pudding well done dave go west .......not really

I'm only a Johnny Come Lately but I think it's fair to say that most clubs have been promoting youth for a number of years. Obviously results differ.

You only have to look at the U21 for the last 3 seasons and note that most of those lads have played a bit of A grade (and some a lot).

Take Glenroy for instance, this week they would have to have 6 players under the age of 23. Last season St Francis pushed through the youth and are seeing the strong results this season.

If the clubs and comp can keep the young blokes interested it should be a great comp long after us useless old blokes are long forgotten (if we were ever remembered it in the 1st place)!

Blow In;289549 said:

That's correct, we (GCC) have opted for youth over the past couple of seasons, and i think it will pay hansome dividends in the next couple of years. This week we have 8 players 24 years or younger, in Round 2 V East Coburg we had 10 players 24 or younger, so the tide has definetly changed at our club as a couple of years ago we probably had 8-9 players 28+ years old. In saying that, WAL05, i would be happy for a young kid to come into our side and Avg 20 per game. I agree you want them to get big scores, and 20 is not a big score, but with some experience and developement in their game, those scores will hopefully come.
Bomber27, what are your thoughts? Merlo are going well and you guys seem to be injecting alot of new blood this season as well. And it seems to be paying dividends. Are most of your younger guys bowlers?

Blow In;289549 said:

That's correct, we (GCC) have opted for youth over the past couple of seasons, and i think it will pay hansome dividends in the next couple of years. This week we have 8 players 24 years or younger, in Round 2 V East Coburg we had 10 players 24 or younger, so the tide has definetly changed at our club as a couple of years ago we probably had 8-9 players 28+ years old. In saying that, WAL05, i would be happy for a young kid to come into our side and Avg 20 per game. I agree you want them to get big scores, and 20 is not a big score, but with some experience and developement in their game, those scores will hopefully come.
Bomber27, what are your thoughts? Merlo are going well and you guys seem to be injecting alot of new blood this season as well. And it seems to be paying dividends. Are most of your younger guys bowlers?

banno36;289543 said:

Dont know why you are all talking about indicvidual brilliance means nothing in the scheme of things i know that i wouldnt be half the bowler people say i am if it wasnt for the support i have around me guys like scotty wernham and gavin tapner are the blokes we should be talking about i would have to give credit to at least half my wickets this year and also in previous years as the old saying goes PRESSURE AT BOTH ENDS!!! one last word it helps if youve got someone to catch them also bring it on st francis this week cant wait!!!

banno36;289543 said:

Dont know why you are all talking about indicvidual brilliance means nothing in the scheme of things i know that i wouldnt be half the bowler people say i am if it wasnt for the support i have around me guys like scotty wernham and gavin tapner are the blokes we should be talking about i would have to give credit to at least half my wickets this year and also in previous years as the old saying goes PRESSURE AT BOTH ENDS!!! one last word it helps if youve got someone to catch them also bring it on st francis this week cant wait!!!

Sainters_3_Peat;289576 said:

is that a bit of a sledge to your teammates in the U21's newts?
haha

Sainters_3_Peat;289576 said:

is that a bit of a sledge to your teammates in the U21's newts?
haha

GeeCeeCee;289575 said:

Gleisner and Sundar are both 18 while Hayter and Bacon are under 23, they make up a large bulk of the bowling attack, so all still young. I'm also 18 if you wanna class me as a bowler for the sake of this argument (though the captain is quite reluctant to give me a bowl) :p. Then there is also Donovan Pell who is 15 batting in the middle order and Joke Polizzi the keeper who is 18 aswell, whilst we have a young mix of 16-21 year olds playing in the 2nds that could easily play firsts cricket.

Much like a few clubs including your own, there has been a real change in the ratio of older - younger players, which is good for the growth of the club.

GeeCeeCee;289575 said:

Gleisner and Sundar are both 18 while Hayter and Bacon are under 23, they make up a large bulk of the bowling attack, so all still young. I'm also 18 if you wanna class me as a bowler for the sake of this argument (though the captain is quite reluctant to give me a bowl) :p. Then there is also Donovan Pell who is 15 batting in the middle order and Joke Polizzi the keeper who is 18 aswell, whilst we have a young mix of 16-21 year olds playing in the 2nds that could easily play firsts cricket.

Much like a few clubs including your own, there has been a real change in the ratio of older - younger players, which is good for the growth of the club.

bomber27;288908 said:
This one I can't agree with you more. This By-Law was put at last years AGM by a club with juniors (which surprised me) and unfortunately my club put up a lonely fight to have this rule knocked back. It got passed easily, mainly on the basis that because other comps have it, then so should we.
I have always believed that this should be used as a guidance only and not be part of our by-laws.
Most decent bowlers (fast or slow) in the Under 16's will bowl there 12 overs in the morning, which leaves them only 4 for the afternoom. Who in there right is going to pick a bowler in there top couple of grades if they can only bowl 4 overs.
I think captains of your teams should have enough sense on how much is to much and be entrusted with the responsibility of looking after our younger players. I know our club does.
If this rule was in place 5 years ago , then players like Pittsy, Costello, Pipe, Trent Gleisner and probaly many more wouldn't have had the chance to play in a high grade while they were playing 16's. It definately would have effected their development as players.

Only solution Dave, is to put up at the next AGM that this rule is removed and hope some common sense prevails. Until then there is nothing we can do.

Do batsmen have to retire after a certain time or runs?
Stop picking on the bowlers and play with common sense.

bomber27;288908 said:
This one I can't agree with you more. This By-Law was put at last years AGM by a club with juniors (which surprised me) and unfortunately my club put up a lonely fight to have this rule knocked back. It got passed easily, mainly on the basis that because other comps have it, then so should we.
I have always believed that this should be used as a guidance only and not be part of our by-laws.
Most decent bowlers (fast or slow) in the Under 16's will bowl there 12 overs in the morning, which leaves them only 4 for the afternoom. Who in there right is going to pick a bowler in there top couple of grades if they can only bowl 4 overs.
I think captains of your teams should have enough sense on how much is to much and be entrusted with the responsibility of looking after our younger players. I know our club does.
If this rule was in place 5 years ago , then players like Pittsy, Costello, Pipe, Trent Gleisner and probaly many more wouldn't have had the chance to play in a high grade while they were playing 16's. It definately would have effected their development as players.

Only solution Dave, is to put up at the next AGM that this rule is removed and hope some common sense prevails. Until then there is nothing we can do.

Covers are to go down by 8pm tonight. Message will be left at 8.00am tomorrow morning on the removal of covers.

I know the weather looks good, but I'm not taking any chances.:)

Covers are to go down by 8pm tonight. Message will be left at 8.00am tomorrow morning on the removal of covers.

bomber27;289684 said:

just hope they dont sweat up too much!!! get them off early!

lets pray there is no RAIN !!

bomber27;289684 said:

just hope they dont sweat up too much!!! get them off early!

lets pray there is no RAIN !!

bomber27;289684 said:

only because your in and set ey woodsey lol

bomber27;289684 said:

only because your in and set ey woodsey lol

fine leg;289629 said:

I think the by-law was written without all the thought that was needed so we are stuck playing under a silly rule and a young boys sufffers because of it.

We can't really complain abut this decision as the delegates that make these decisions are all volunteers and must be congratulated for their efforts.

Our club will be doing or best to change this sill by-law but it will have to wait till next year.

Sorry Hamish, you will be playing a lot higher than all of us in a few years mate, I hope to pay my $$$ at the gate to come and watch you one day.

fine leg;289629 said:

I think the by-law was written without all the thought that was needed so we are stuck playing under a silly rule and a young boys sufffers because of it.

We can't really complain abut this decision as the delegates that make these decisions are all volunteers and must be congratulated for their efforts.

Our club will be doing or best to change this sill by-law but it will have to wait till next year.

Sorry Hamish, you will be playing a lot higher than all of us in a few years mate, I hope to pay my $$$ at the gate to come and watch you one day.

old hack;289705 said:

Gee a few blokes are gunna want to face him now so they can tell a few stories to their kids when he eventually breaks Warnie's record

old hack;289705 said:

Gee a few blokes are gunna want to face him now so they can tell a few stories to their kids when he eventually breaks Warnie's record

I think you guys at St Andrews need to take a bit of a reality check about this young player you have and on how good you think he is.
Its great that you guys are building your juniors but having been involved in coaching the last four years with Under 14's and U16's at A Grade level. I can assure you that, spin or slow bowlers take a long time to adapt from junior level to senior level.
We have had our fair share of players to play Hatch and Wizards cricket who are now still developing and weren't playing A Turf as a 13 year old.
If the kid was as good as you think he would be playing in rep sides by now.
I think you will find, no matter how much talent he has he will be found out in a big way in our comp, whether that be in A or B Turf.
Its great to promote the kids but you need to find the level in that they will be challenged but not crucified.
Our By law might actually help this kid in the long run.

I think you guys at St Andrews need to take a bit of a reality check about this young player you have and on how good you think he is.
Its great that you guys are building your juniors but having been involved in coaching the last four years with Under 14's and U16's at A Grade level. I can assure you that, spin or slow bowlers take a long time to adapt from junior level to senior level.
We have had our fair share of players to play Hatch and Wizards cricket who are now still developing and weren't playing A Turf as a 13 year old.
I think you will find, no matter how much talent he has he will be found out in a big way in our comp, whether that be in A or B Turf.
Its great to promote the kids but you need to find the level in that they will be challenged but not crucified.

bomber27;289770 said:

At least some of us have some sense bomber. perhaps jolley is just trying to pull some sort of stunt with all this talk and it was never going to happen. surely dave is smarter than this or is he loosing his touch???

bomber27;289770 said:

At least some of us have some sense bomber. perhaps jolley is just trying to pull some sort of stunt with all this talk and it was never going to happen. surely dave is smarter than this or is he loosing his touch???

bomber27;289770 said:

Maybe, the only way to tell is to let him play and time will tell us all.

No one is saying he is this or that but we would like to have the chance to let him play and see.

We also have been around the block and can judge a cricketer. We are the ones that work with him every night and know what he can and can't do. We don't know if he can do what he does at training in a game yet but eagerly await the chance to see if he can.

We are the best judges with all do respect. We have not been saying he will do or achieve anything just that we think he is worth a chance and we are frustrated by a rule that prevents him from getting that chance. We have accepted this decision and we now move on.

Good luck to all on the weekend looks like we will actually play some cricket.

bomber27;289770 said:

No one is saying he is this or that but we would like to have the chance to let him play and see.

We also have been around the block and can judge a cricketer. We are the ones that work with him every night and know what he can and can't do. We don't know if he can do what he does at training in a game yet but eagerly await the chance to see if he can.

We are the best judges with all do respect. We have not been saying he will do or achieve anything just that we think he is worth a chance and we are frustrated by a rule that prevents him from getting that chance. We have accepted this decision and we now move on.

bomber27;289770 said:

Remember Bomber most of my discussion has been on the rule not the kid, we have not said anything about him being a superstar, who would expect him to be at 13.

Just want to see him play at our level which is not that great. We all know that.

Other people can read anything they want into my posts as that is their choice.

bomber27;289770 said:

Remember Bomber most of my discussion has been on the rule not the kid, we have not said anything about him being a superstar, who would expect him to be at 13.

Just want to see him play at our level which is not that great. We all know that.

Other people can read anything they want into my posts as that is their choice.

old hack;289779 said:

Dave, I know from where I sit it's easy to throw stones as has been happening, so let's get down to the basics. If this kid is as good as you think and you feel with the chance could be a consistent A grade cricket, make the call, don't bowl him in the morning so that he gets 16 overs in the afternoon.
There's probably 2 schools of thought, what's more important the kids development or for the kid to enjoy his cricket with his mates! I'm sure if the kid has potential then send him to a district club where there is no restrictions and he can still play with his mates if his district schedule allows it. It's a tough call, maybe ask the kid what he would prefer to do and then ask his parents. At the end of the day the kid has plenty of cricket left in him, and in some way I think there is more than meets the eye with this situation. Maybe it's a case of read between the lines and then it will all fall into place.
It's a tough decision and I wish you luck with it, just don't forget Hamish and what he wants in this quickly becoming mission that St Andrews is on.

old hack;289779 said:

Dave, I know from where I sit it's easy to throw stones as has been happening, so let's get down to the basics. If this kid is as good as you think and you feel with the chance could be a consistent A grade cricket, make the call, don't bowl him in the morning so that he gets 16 overs in the afternoon.
There's probably 2 schools of thought, what's more important the kids development or for the kid to enjoy his cricket with his mates! I'm sure if the kid has potential then send him to a district club where there is no restrictions and he can still play with his mates if his district schedule allows it. It's a tough call, maybe ask the kid what he would prefer to do and then ask his parents. At the end of the day the kid has plenty of cricket left in him, and in some way I think there is more than meets the eye with this situation. Maybe it's a case of read between the lines and then it will all fall into place.
It's a tough decision and I wish you luck with it, just don't forget Hamish and what he wants in this quickly becoming mission that St Andrews is on.

Guru14;289790 said:

We have done all those things you have suggested. This should/will and has be done.

Do you think he would be picked without asking him, or speaking to his parents and junior coaches. We have done all that.

Him playing with his mates and enjoying his cricket is the most important thing here. Not filling a whole that we have.

I do agree with everything you have said and we have naturally done this. I have lots of friends at district level and he will be helped to get to that level.

I get the feeling that everyone thinks they know better than us and the are in a very poor position to judge as they have not even seen him, Trust me you will. If he isn't any good then everyone can get some easy runs. But interesting to get peoples opinion, that is what this forum is for. Better than reading some guy having a go at another.

Good luck to you on your game mate and if you are around love to have a beer after the game and discuss it further. come over and say hello.

Too much talk on this topic really, I am sorry.

I find it puzzling that everyone thinks we have no clue in judging a cricketers ability. Most people in leadership positions in clubs and have been around for many years do know a bit about cricket, just interesting that everyone thinks I don't. And thats ok too. We will keep our own house in order and wish everyone luck with theirs. This was not a response from your post, just others.

Guru14;289790 said:

We have done all those things you have suggested. This should/will and has be done.

Do you think he would be picked without asking him, or speaking to his parents and junior coaches. We have done all that.

Him playing with his mates and enjoying his cricket is the most important thing here. Not filling a whole that we have.

I do agree with everything you have said and we have naturally done this. I have lots of friends at district level and he will be helped to get to that level.

I get the feeling that everyone thinks they know better than us and the are in a very poor position to judge as they have not even seen him, Trust me you will. If he isn't any good then everyone can get some easy runs. But interesting to get peoples opinion, that is what this forum is for. Better than reading some guy having a go at another.

Good luck to you on your game mate and if you are around love to have a beer after the game and discuss it further. come over and say hello.

Too much talk on this topic really, I am sorry.

I find it puzzling that everyone thinks we have no clue in judging a cricketers ability. Most people in leadership positions in clubs and have been around for many years do know a bit about cricket, just interesting that everyone thinks I don't. And thats ok too. We will keep our own house in order and wish everyone luck with theirs. This was not a response from your post, just others.

I would like to say that i have been reading all this Bull S#%t on here about West Coburg and feel that a lot of you guys are being a bit harsh on guys like Pas, yes he is young and needs a bit of work but who doesnt as a 16 yr old in this comp.I hear people describe him as cocky tell me how many 16 yr olds arent but remember they learn from us older guys so really think where he gets this attitude from. Cricket is all about confidence and at times the West Coburg batsmen lack this exception to a few older more experienced guys. In the year I captained their last flag in 02/03 with Dave Hall we worked well as a team and I am sure Callum and Dave will work well and find what they are looking for to get that flag in the coming years hopefully sooner than later.
Good Luck to Callum and the boys and lets leave them to get on with it....

Kyle Adams = SUPERSTAR

I would like to say that i have been reading all this Bull S#%t on here about West Coburg and feel that a lot of you guys are being a bit harsh on guys like Pas, yes he is young and needs a bit of work but who doesnt as a 16 yr old in this comp.I hear people describe him as cocky tell me how many 16 yr olds arent but remember they learn from us older guys so really think where he gets this attitude from. Cricket is all about confidence and at times the West Coburg batsmen lack this exception to a few older more experienced guys. In the year I captained their last flag in 02/03 with Dave Hall we worked well as a team and I am sure Callum and Dave will work well and find what they are looking for to get that flag in the coming years hopefully sooner than later.
Good Luck to Callum and the boys and lets leave them to get on with it....

Kyle Adams = SUPERSTAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back