Money Shield 18/19

Any team would love to at least one of those three playing each week, but as mentioned it is difficult when life gets in the way. As said, a fringe player suddenly finds themselves playing a game in the 1sts, to be dropped the next week.
Mash obviously will find it difficult to commit with his schedule for the renegades; common knowledge police officers always have rotating shifts in Minney's case; and until the season starts you can't be sure with Turner

Really not that difficult to understand is it.

We’re playing local cricket. Not District 1s. And these clowns are trying to make out that they would knock them back. Laughable.

Any team would love to at least one of those three playing each week, but as mentioned it is difficult when life gets in the way. As said, a fringe player suddenly finds themselves playing a game in the 1sts, to be dropped the next week.
Mash obviously will find it difficult to commit with his schedule for the renegades; common knowledge police officers always have rotating shifts in Minney's case; and until the season starts you can't be sure with Turner
Might not be district 1st and no doubt having any of the big 3 is a plus to any side on a Saturday but can't say having a fringe in the side would be a bad thing if they picked the fringe players they should of during the season. If a 2nd xi player can score 600+ in the 2nds and not get a single game in the 1's with or without a couple of the big 3 when they were unavailable something isn't right when said player based on stats definitely deserves at least a game.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The overwhelming temptation is to always play an excellent player in the highest grade possible when they are available on an intermittent basis and is one of the many reasons I think cricketers make poor cricket club administrators, but that's a whole other subject. It can generate some real cancer within a playing group if you're not careful, especially if the bloke(s) finding themselves on the end of the yoyo are doing well, but getting dropped for the player who is thought to be better than them, particularly so if the person selected fails. That's how you'll start to get players refusing to go up as they realise they're only being used to plug a hole and their prospects of maintaining a spot are nil if someone more desirable becomes available.

Really not that difficult to understand is it.

We’re playing local cricket. Not District 1s. And these clowns are trying to make out that they would knock them back. Laughable.

I wouldn't knock them back. Hell, if anyone rocks up to a local cricket club and pays their subs, you'd take them.

But that's not the issue here.

The issue is - would you recruit and pay a player that is not going to play every game? I wouldn't.

I wouldn't knock them back. Hell, if anyone rocks up to a local cricket club and pays their subs, you'd take them.

But that's not the issue here.

The issue is - would you recruit and pay a player that is not going to play every game? I wouldn't.

Yeah, I guess taking it on a case by case is the best way. Say if a player were to mention immediately before pre-season they were unavailable for 1 or 2 games, I guess you could deal with it. But having no real idea of how many the player could potentially miss, and when they will be able/unable to play makes it harder to gauge. Especially for those 2nd XI players making a mountain of runs to not get a look in, despite probably training twice as often and twice as hard

Yeah, I guess taking it on a case by case is the best way. Say if a player were to mention immediately before pre-season they were unavailable for 1 or 2 games, I guess you could deal with it. But having no real idea of how many the player could potentially miss, and when they will be able/unable to play makes it harder to gauge. Especially for those 2nd XI players making a mountain of runs to not get a look in, despite probably training twice as often and twice as hard

Let’s make this clear. From what I know, Eltham knew all along what games Mashy would or wouldn’t play throughout the season. In fact, I believe he played an extra game or two. He was also at training on a regular basis.

Every single club in the DVCA would take him. To say any wouldn’t, would be foolish.

Let’s make this clear. From what I know, Eltham knew all along what games Mashy would or wouldn’t play throughout the season. In fact, I believe he played an extra game or two. He was also at training on a regular basis.

Every single club in the DVCA would take him. To say any wouldn’t, would be foolish.

If that's the arrangement, then I could not agree anymore with having him play

No, you said that you wouldn’t if you were Eltham. The question I asked was would you tell Mashy that you don’t want him at your club because he’s going to miss four games.

My point is clear and I stand by it. I don't like players playing part time, whoever they are. Seen first hand how it badly damages a clubs fabric and I don't like it. If I was in the 2nd division and the decision was with me I would say thanks but no thanks.

Where's the end game? Hypothetically speaking, the team rises to Barclay . Does the player continues to be part time? Does he stop playing ? One things for sure he aint going to become full time. So all of a sudden the team is in the top tier, without their main man and the fringe players who were burnt the previous season (and possibly missed out on a flag) are all of a sudden required to stand up and perform in a top grade, that's of course if they are even still playing?**

IF I was Eltham, a club well known in the DV to have a poor culture, no recent success of note and a history of part timers (training and playing), it'd be a more resounding NO, reasons stated previously in my posts. We know even with this system in place in 18/19 the Panthers failed miserably so it's not even like it's a successful model to continue to use.

** I'm speaking as if it was my clubs intention to gain promotion and consolidate/compete in the top flight. Not just to win Money Shield and deal with the rest later.

There'd be plenty that wouldn't want him. Cashes in against bottom side Mill Park, but when it comes to a pressure semi-final he's found out.

I've always thought that you're better off spending your cash on a couple of decent players than to put it all in one basket on a gun player. Particularly one that can't bowl.

What's the alternative for blokes who are 1st XI cricketers that can't commit to the majority of the season ?

There are plenty of decent cricketers lost to the game because their competitive juices aren't quenched in a lower grade
Then there are the ones that play a lower grade and get 'caned' for playing at a standard well below their abilities

Local Cricket boys - as long as these guys are getting to training and educating the next wave - play on I say

Agree with the last point from BMW - if they are educating the next wave - play on! Let's remember Mash returned to the club he played with as a junior. That's a big plus when he could have got huge money elsewhere. Let's give him a rap instead of bagging him

Part time players have worked wonders for clubs in the past, Mill Park won a flag and saved themselves from relegation on the back of a guy playing a couple of games in crunch time.

If it works and helps the club win and or maintain the position they are in until it can produce or bring in some full time players is it not a good thing?

Part time players have worked wonders for clubs in the past, Mill Park won a flag and saved themselves from relegation on the back of a guy playing a couple of games in crunch time.

If it works and helps the club win and or maintain the position they are in until it can produce or bring in some full time players is it not a good thing?

Where are they now?

Agree with the last point from BMW - if they are educating the next wave - play on! Let's remember Mash returned to the club he played with as a junior. That's a big plus when he could have got huge money elsewhere. Let's give him a rap instead of bagging him
Never was bagging him! Want to make that very clear. It’s the system in place which I was talking about.

Back