Money Shield 2012/13

Spot on Declaration. I know that we are aiming for top 4/ top 2 but are under no illusions that we are going to do it and therefore predict where we will finish. There are too many variables that occur throughout the year for anyone to be making such bold predictions. It's only going to leave you there for a fall when you don't achieve it.

Spot on Declaration. I know that we are aiming for top 4/ top 2 but are under no illusions that we are going to do it and therefore predict where we will finish. There are too many variables that occur throughout the year for anyone to be making such bold predictions. It's only going to leave you there for a fall when you don't achieve it.
absolutely no chance eltham finish top 2 and in my opinion wont make finals - again!!! You can keep relying on minney all you like, but until you get regular contributors of 300 runs plus a season elsewhere you are not legitimate. Bowling attacks are all fairly even. Each team has 1 standout bowler, 2 good bowlers and the rest are just over fillers. So it comes down down to the batting, as it has done every single year! Make 180 regularly and you will win more than you lose. Make 220 regularly and you should play finals. Harder to pick than a broken nose money shield. Wont know till xmas who is likely to make it, except whittlesea, t.utd, p.hill, stars and b.utd wont!!

absolutely no chance eltham finish top 2 and in my opinion wont make finals - again!!! You can keep relying on minney all you like, but until you get regular contributors of 300 runs plus a season elsewhere you are not legitimate. Bowling attacks are all fairly even. Each team has 1 standout bowler, 2 good bowlers and the rest are just over fillers. So it comes down down to the batting, as it has done every single year! Make 180 regularly and you will win more than you lose. Make 220 regularly and you should play finals. Harder to pick than a broken nose money shield. Wont know till xmas who is likely to make it, except whittlesea, t.utd, p.hill, stars and b.utd wont!!

At Xmas you will still have a full 5 rounds to go (more than 1/3rd of the season), so you'd still be guessing at that stage.

6. Everyone has to replace injured/unavailable players at some time. Will Bun Utd's and Eltham's replacements be better prepared by playing in B Grade against BS 2nd XIs, when all other 2nd XIs are playing weaker opposition in C or D Grades?

I don't know that there is a huge amount of difference between B and C. Generally speaking from a batting point of view, if you could keep out the opening bowlers without taking too much damage in both grades, you were going to make 200 plus as most of the change bowlers were much alike. That's pretty much what happened when we played HB last year, were about 1/90 and made 230 I think and won the game.

I don't know that there is a huge amount of difference between B and C. Generally speaking from a batting point of view, if you could keep out the opening bowlers without taking too much damage in both grades, you were going to make 200 plus as most of the change bowlers were much alike. That's pretty much what happened when we played HB last year, were about 1/90 and made 230 I think and won the game.

I think you'll find that there is a fair bit of difference between B and C Grades.
B Grade, except for Bun Utd, Eltham and MP, comprises 11 BS 2nd XIs,
C Grade comprises 9 MS 2nd XIs, plus MP's 2nds, plus Camrea's (awful) 2nds, plus 3 BS 3rd XIs.
There has to be a difference.
As I said in my original post, I don't know whether this will have a direct effect on the MS fortunes of Bun Utd and Eltham.
What I do know, from the experience of the A Grade (pre-BS/MS) clubs it has happened to in the past, is that in the longer term a 2-Grade gap between your 1sts and 2nds always results in your 1sts being relegated.
Camrea's BS side is on Death Row.

I think you'll find that there is a fair bit of difference between B and C Grades.
B Grade, except for Bun Utd, Eltham and MP, comprises 11 BS 2nd XIs,
C Grade comprises 9 MS 2nd XIs, plus MP's 2nds, plus Camrea's (awful) 2nds, plus 3 BS 3rd XIs.
There has to be a difference.
As I said in my original post, I don't know whether this will have a direct effect on the MS fortunes of Bun Utd and Eltham.
What I do know, from the experience of the A Grade (pre-BS/MS) clubs it has happened to in the past, is that in the longer term a 2-Grade gap between your 1sts and 2nds always results in your 1sts being relegated.
Camrea's BS side is on Death Row.

Yes I'm aware of that as I played in C grade two seasons ago and then half the season in B grade last season. I didn't see much difference and if it wasn't for us (BU) dropping the bundle in the back half of the season, we'd have made finals with a good chance of winning. It certainly won't hurt having a B grade side, but I'm not sure it will help our MS side much either. A more pressing concern would be player attrition.

How did Rosanna go in their practice games against North Eltham on the 16th and Riverside on the 23rd.

I understand both Rosanna and Banyule were pretty competitive with North Eltham (Rosanna just winning and Banyule just losing), Riverside played an intraclub game on Sunday. Hard to gauge form on a practice game though, understand all sides weren't full strentgh and were trying to get everyone a hit.

how came you say the stars wont make finals been very competitive in barclay for the last few years, fair enough had a bad year last year. but a team when on can beat anyone in barclay or money

Here's my ladder:

Rosanna
Greensborough
Eltham
Heidelberg
----------------
Bundoora United
Panton Hill
Montmorency
Lower Plenty
Hurstbridge
South Morang
Whittlesea
Banyule
Lalor
Thomastown

Rosanna
Eltham
Greensborough
Montmorency
--------
Lower Plenty
Bundoora Utd
Banyule
Lalor Stars
South Morang
Panton Hill
Hurstbridge
Heidelberg
Thomastown
Whittlesea

People predicting ladder positions are punting on a lot of unknowns.

1. How good were Rosanna, Hberg and Banyule last year, compared with MS? What have they lost, and what newcomers have they recruited? And how many next level replacements have they lost from their 2nds and 16/17 year-olds?

2. Greensborough - will Butera and the 2 Sri Lankans make up for their significant player losses?

3. Lalor - have they fixed their weak attack and geriatric batting line-up? If not, will their BS experience still be enough to make them competitive?

4. Will Hbridge's bowling recruits make them competitive despite the big jump and their short batting list?

5. Teams play at least 6 One-Dayers. Over the long run (note that qualification), lower teams beat teams higher on the ladder more often in 1-Dayers than in 2-Dayers; has the draw helped anybody in this respect? And do 1-Dayers advantage teams with a deeper bowling and shorter batting line-up over those with less bowling but more batting depth (Hbridge, anyone)?

6. Everyone has to replace injured/unavailable players at some time. Will Bun Utd's and Eltham's replacements be better prepared by playing in B Grade against BS 2nd XIs, when all other 2nd XIs are playing weaker opposition in C or D Grades?

Your guess is good as mine - in fact, better, because I'm not gonna make any guesses.
Rosanna picked up L.Anderson & do not appear to have lost anyone so should be very strong.

Banyule have lost O'Connor's however have recruited G.Butterworth & J.Poyser. D.Butterworth is rumoured to be playing again as is McMurray & P.Barnes? If so, Banyule should be stronger than last season.

Heidelberg have lost Sticks & Lasi while not picking up anyone of note so you would not expect them to figure prominently.

well it starts today boys, we've gotta travel to loyola to play against utd...hopefully some big hitting on the little ground and a big win for the panthers.

nc

I popped up to the top ground today and it seems Lower Plenty are playing their Vets side in Money Shield. If that is their standard of cricket, it could be a very long season for the Lower boys.

I popped up to the top ground today and it seems Lower Plenty are playing their Vets side in Money Shield. If that is their standard of cricket, it could be a very long season for the Lower boys.

True. A few draws today too. Do Eltham and Banyule's wins count with so many washed out games?

Back