Money Shield 2012/13

I wouldn't have thought Eltham was the best ground in the comp right now.
Eltham does have Barclay, not sure how, playing surface is very patchy in places, Ben Frilay surface is in mint condition but keeps getting overlooked, being given E Grade GF last season was a joke.

Elthams ground wouldn't be in the top 5 playing conditions in the comp right now. Typical DVCA looking after its pet clubs. Would like to think they'd make anywhere between 5-10 k for it. So no doubt Eltham would be rubbing there hands together AGAIN.

Elthams ground wouldn't be in the top 5 playing conditions in the comp right now. Typical DVCA looking after its pet clubs. Would like to think they'd make anywhere between 5-10 k for it. So no doubt Eltham would be rubbing there hands together AGAIN.

Let me clear a couple of things up....

Firstly, I believe (again, don't quote me) that the ground inspections were done roughly a week or two ago.

Secondly yes, Eltham have been lucky to be granted the Barclay Shield Grand Final this year. Something that the Club are extremely pleased and grateful for.

I don't know how we are seen to be a "pet club" of the DVCA? I am not sure as to what the DVCA do for us, that they don't do for other clubs?? Yes, we have had the last couple of Grand Finals at our ground, an honour that we work hard to make the best show piece for the DVCA. For those of you that have attended the last couple, especially those that have competed, I am sure that there would be nothing but praise for how we host both clubs and all spectators. If there were any issues, feel free to let me know, and I will ensure that it doesn't happen on saturday.

As for it making the club $5k - $10k, I can 100% tell you right now, that those figures are not even close. Think about these factors when trying to work out how much money is made:

* Money spent to buy food and drink.
* We host a lunch for the DVCA, their Sponsors, and both clubs including food and drink (roughly 25 - 35 people) at our cost.
* Grand Finals used to go for 3 or 4 days, now it is 2 with a slight possibility of 3.
* The number of people who bring in their own alcohol.
* Plus the small gestures like: We ensure there is some bottled water and gatorade in both clubs changerooms before the game, beer after the game, without charge.

It is not the cash cow that some people believe. Whilst yes, there is some money made on the day, like any other day that the rooms are open, but there is also massive amounts of work hours put in. There is juniors in the morning also, which has a large crowd too, with Bacon and Egg rolls etc cooking. All this time is made up of volunteers by players, supporters, families etc. Something that the Eltham Cricket Club are proud and grateful for.

Let me clear a couple of things up....

Firstly, I believe (again, don't quote me) that the ground inspections were done roughly a week or two ago.

Secondly yes, Eltham have been lucky to be granted the Barclay Shield Grand Final this year. Something that the Club are extremely pleased and grateful for.

I don't know how we are seen to be a "pet club" of the DVCA? I am not sure as to what the DVCA do for us, that they don't do for other clubs?? Yes, we have had the last couple of Grand Finals at our ground, an honour that we work hard to make the best show piece for the DVCA. For those of you that have attended the last couple, especially those that have competed, I am sure that there would be nothing but praise for how we host both clubs and all spectators. If there were any issues, feel free to let me know, and I will ensure that it doesn't happen on saturday.

As for it making the club $5k - $10k, I can 100% tell you right now, that those figures are not even close. Think about these factors when trying to work out how much money is made:

* Money spent to buy food and drink.
* We host a lunch for the DVCA, their Sponsors, and both clubs including food and drink (roughly 25 - 35 people) at our cost.
* Grand Finals used to go for 3 or 4 days, now it is 2 with a slight possibility of 3.
* The number of people who bring in their own alcohol.
* Plus the small gestures like: We ensure there is some bottled water and gatorade in both clubs changerooms before the game, beer after the game, without charge.

It is not the cash cow that some people believe. Whilst yes, there is some money made on the day, like any other day that the rooms are open, but there is also massive amounts of work hours put in. There is juniors in the morning also, which has a large crowd too, with Bacon and Egg rolls etc cooking. All this time is made up of volunteers by players, supporters, families etc. Something that the Eltham Cricket Club are proud and grateful for.

I think Eltham is perfect for the Barclay GF.

Especially now they are in Money (no offence intended here Tongs before you even start) as it ensures a mutual ground. Whilst I'm on it, maybe the DVCA select Eltham as they know the players will be available to work behind the bar this weekend (just kidding again David, relax)

The atmosphere at Eltham is fantastic, the clubrooms side with it's levels creates a great crowd, especially late on day 2 (or 3 as it used to be) once the other games finish and the hill under the scoreboard on the outer side creates as much atmosphere too when it gets packed full of blokes that are full of gas. A great ground for the biggest game of the year, with the biggest crowd of the year.

I know I've enjoyed all of my finals matches played there, and the Eltham boys always put on a great show. Clean rooms and toilets every day, drinks provided etc....

If you look at the other grounds that you would consider Eltham has them covered as the full package. It's not just about surface, the atmosphere at Eltham is what the GF is about. The ground is a perfect size, the rooms are great for both teams, and Eltham's actual pitch is one of the better ones in the comp.

Tongs, can you please post a list of alcoholic beverages that will be available this weekend at Eltham? I need to plan my attack.

I think Eltham is perfect for the Barclay GF.

Especially now they are in Money (no offence intended here Tongs before you even start) as it ensures a mutual ground. Whilst I'm on it, maybe the DVCA select Eltham as they know the players will be available to work behind the bar this weekend (just kidding again David, relax)

The atmosphere at Eltham is fantastic, the clubrooms side with it's levels creates a great crowd, especially late on day 2 (or 3 as it used to be) once the other games finish and the hill under the scoreboard on the outer side creates as much atmosphere too when it gets packed full of blokes that are full of gas. A great ground for the biggest game of the year, with the biggest crowd of the year.

I know I've enjoyed all of my finals matches played there, and the Eltham boys always put on a great show. Clean rooms and toilets every day, drinks provided etc....

If you look at the other grounds that you would consider Eltham has them covered as the full package. It's not just about surface, the atmosphere at Eltham is what the GF is about. The ground is a perfect size, the rooms are great for both teams, and Eltham's actual pitch is one of the better ones in the comp.

Tongs, can you please post a list of alcoholic beverages that will be available this weekend at Eltham? I need to plan my attack.

Thanks CricketBox. I am more than happy to cop the cheeky whacks at the start, after the follow up comments.

As for the bar list, there is not too much that we don't have. As I know you personally have always graced us with your presence on GF day, and that you completely and utterly support ECC, how about we make it easier, and you let me know what you would like to drink on the day, and i will ensure it is there. Just remember though, maybe this year drink in moderation :D and keep your pants on?

Thanks CricketBox. I am more than happy to cop the cheeky whacks at the start, after the follow up comments.

As for the bar list, there is not too much that we don't have. As I know you personally have always graced us with your presence on GF day, and that you completely and utterly support ECC, how about we make it easier, and you let me know what you would like to drink on the day, and i will ensure it is there. Just remember though, maybe this year drink in moderation :D and keep your pants on?

Ice cold Blonde stubbies, with a selection of premix spirits that can be used as a switch late on days 1 and 2. That will do for me.

As for the rest of it, there are no promises...............

Looking forward to a big weekend.

Location would have to be the only thing that hurts Hurstbridge em25 I think. But I agree with you it is far and away the best surface in the DVCA. Lower Elthams ground is fairly good as well wanderer.

Location would have to be the only thing that hurts Hurstbridge em25 I think. But I agree with you it is far and away the best surface in the DVCA. Lower Elthams ground is fairly good as well wanderer.

Lower Eltham probably the fav to host MS final as it is close in proximity for both clubs.

** just checked mycricket, game is at LE ** other grades not up as yet.

The condition of the ground at LECC is impeccable. There are couple other issues that if fixed would make it amazing, but lots of clubs that visit rave about how good the field is.

I noticed that you threw comments out about ECC and the fact that we got the BS Grand Final, and when I responded, you haven't yet replied??

One great thing for all cricket followers this week is that they can go between MS and BS grand finals with ease this year. Although, we all know that the better game, cheaper drinks and better food will be at Panther Place. ;)

I noticed that you threw comments out about ECC and the fact that we got the BS Grand Final, and when I responded, you haven't yet replied??

One great thing for all cricket followers this week is that they can go between MS and BS grand finals with ease this year. Although, we all know that the better game, cheaper drinks and better food will be at Panther Place. ;)

Nope well said tongs don't worry I have a few friends who play at Eltham and they've always been a great club on and off the field to play against. Don't worry my old club will never get Barclay as they have the worst ground in Melbourne metro. Haha. I didn't realise the effort that you guys do put on for everyone and I spose the DVCA will look at that in a high regard. Just from watching a fair bit of cricket at different grounds this year I would of thought that perhaps Hurstbridge would be number 1 ranked ground, but as I mentioned earlier it is probs too far out, and Eltham is the centre of the Diamond Valley. Good luck with it Saturday and Sunday mate, ill certainly be there drinking frofies from the bar mate.

How is Hurstbridges gound too far away? It's 25 minutes up the bloody road, there is even a railway station within walking distance if you want to have 45 beers and stumble home.

Back