New Zealand In Bangladesh 2013

I think we're paying the price for going back to the same old, personally this series was a great chance to blood one of the genuine quicks we have at home. There's not much movement so you need pace to cause the batsman any discomfort, I would have given Milne a go but unfortunately Gillespie was Southee's replacement.

I think we're paying the price for going back to the same old, personally this series was a great chance to blood one of the genuine quicks we have at home. There's not much movement so you need pace to cause the batsman any discomfort, I would have given Milne a go but unfortunately Gillespie was Southee's replacement.

Milne needs a shot in Test cricket. Especially after him bowling well for the NZ A side in Sri Lanka.

Good thread but it's a series one so I moved this to the Current and International Series board. Carry on fellas.

So the second test ends in a tame draw after a wash-out in the last half of the final days play. The ODI's begin on October 29 with the first two games in Dhaka.

Good to see Sodhi get wickets with decent deliveries, nagging doubt that he's the spinner that gets a go on a spinning deck against weak opposition when others didn't. Still, I hope he gets a good run to see what he's got rather than being picked and dumped like Nethula and Astle.

McCullum, another weak dismissal when the team didn't need it, would he stay in the test side if NZ had any other batting options around?

What about Jeetan Patel? Or has he fallen out of favour?

So the second test ends in a tame draw after a wash-out in the last half of the final days play. The ODI's begin on October 29 with the first two games in Dhaka.

What about Jeetan Patel? Or has he fallen out of favour?
The back aways in SAf when we were getting towelled sealed Jeetan's fate (although why they dropped a bowler when we couldn't bat I don't know), he is the best spin bowler in NZ at the moment but he has consistently been found wanting when heart was needed with the bat or the ball at international level. He's found his was into county stuff and does well there so at least he's making money in the game and will keep plugging away if they go back to him. His international stats don't make great reading though.

In general we're kind of in that embryonic stage that Oz were in the late 80's, we need to make some tough calls and stick with those players that we can believe in. It's kind of forgotten but the likes of Boon, Marsh, S Waugh, McDermott, and Merv weren't exactly superstars at the beginning.

Jeetan Patel is a good spin bowler but he's had a million chances at international level and never been anything but solid. McCullum and Hesson want aggressive and positive spin bowlers who take wickets on spin friendly tracks but Jeet is anything but. He's good for a couple of wickets here and there but seems to lack the heart to be a good international spin bowler.

On the topic of spin. Ish Sodhi might be ready to be our premier spinner sooner than I thought. He keeps getting better and better from what I've seen.

My side for the first ODI:
1) H Rutherford
2) B McCullum
3) K Williamson
4) R Taylor
5) C Anderson
6) J Neesham or Grant Elliot
7) T Latham (W) - Watling would play if he was picked!!
8) N McCullum
9) K Mills
10) M McClenaghan
11) A Milne

That side has seven potential bowlers!

Well a deserved loss by NZ with one of the more bizarre line ups I've seen in a while, a side with 2 genuine bowlers and 6 all rounders is excessive in any side and it showed with Mitchell McClenaghan not performing meaning that the pressure that Southee had put on was wasted.

Despite NZ's good ODI form in SAf and Eng the fact is that the same problems remain, there is no one that is a wicket taking option for the middle overs and there is no one that can bowl at the death. Hesson has talked how the Bang and SL ODIs are a good opportunity to look at a few players, this is fine but is there a defined role in mind for these players? From the look of last night it wouldn't appear so.

Southee is a good death bowler as well but he was forced to bowl through the middle overs due to the spinners getting smacked around.

Edit: I liked the fact that McCullum gave Corey Anderson and Jimmy Neesham the responsibility of bowling at the death. Neesham did really well and stopped them from getting a lot more.

The fact is our ODI spinners never get wickets unless the other side has to force the pace big time, this will remain our biggest weakness until we start thinking about beating sides with the ball and not just fielding. Our discipline and good planning will generally get us a few wins but our conservative outlook always keeps us from making the next step up.

Good to see Neesham step up but is there really a place in the team for him Anderson & Elliot? The 11 you had above was more like it.

Agreed. One all-rounder too many and one seamer too few. The balance was wrong and I agree, we need to find a good ODI spinner as well. Nathan McCullum is too inconsistent and goes for too many runs.

...and another loss, what progress are we making on the tour again? Other than Ish Sodhi & Corey Anderson showing some potential there are no real positives. At the moment Guptill, Ryder and Vettori will walk back into whatever format despite any form, attitude or injury concerns while the likes of Rutherford and B McCullum continue to take backward steps. What really annoys me is the bumbling regarding our pace attack and how to get the right balance for whatever we are facing up to, in test cricket it is just a matter of picking Southee, Boult and Wagner and considering we've got Gillespie, Milne, Mills, McKay and McClenaghan waiting in the wings we should not be stuffing these things up.

Appreciate that they want to rotate/rest the quicks for the Bang and SL series but we have the resources to play 3 quicks in each ODI game and still give everyone plenty of time off.

Sorry for the rant but this Hesson and B McCullum disaster fest continues to **** me off.

Seems to be a case of New Zealand don't know who to pick. Two pure bowlers and six all-rounders in an ODI is stupid. 4 out and out bowlers and two all-rounders would be much more ideal.

Kiwis really needs Vettori back and another pure seam bowler. Two spinners might be ideal though, would give Sodhi a crack or perhaps Patel but neither are in the ODI squad.

Seems to be a case of New Zealand don't know who to pick. Two pure bowlers and six all-rounders in an ODI is stupid. 4 out and out bowlers and two all-rounders would be much more ideal.

Kiwis really needs Vettori back and another pure seam bowler. Two spinners might be ideal though, would give Sodhi a crack or perhaps Patel but neither are in the ODI squad.

Vettori took 5-39 off 22 overs in his first FC game back, he has said that he is looking at making himself available in Jan, if we can get 5 more years of fit Vettori (the one that can turn a ball) rather than the ghost like one of the last few years then things will start to gel better. Plus, after 5 years Sodhi will have improved enough by then to slot straight in.

In terms of the here and now NZ have sent over another bits and pieces player (Ellis) to join the herd for the SL tour, we're not expecting much to change. I appreciate that they are effectively trialling players for the next WC but at the end of the day a winning squad breeds confidence and that more than good planning wins games.

So NZ fail to defend 307 and lose the series to Bangladesh 3-0, very, very ordinary.. With the players they have out it could get pretty ugly when they head over to Sri Lanka.

Mills was definitely the one to blame, he is a fill-in as captain but some of his option taking was questionable. The hilarious thing is that the best captain on the field was not captaining the side (Taylor) because of the damage that Hesson has caused as coach.

Hesson was originally selected as coach because of the success of Otago, it should be noted that Otago has kept on winning without Hesson which means it was more to do with the players than the coach. Am I being harsh? Probably but as a side that has traditionally been good at ODIs we as fans have the right to demand better than to lose 3-0 to Bangladesh even if is played over there. What I'm not seeing with this lot is the reading of the situation that NZ captains such as Howarth, Coney, Crowe, Fleming and Vettori brought to the game, McCullum's agressive approach is great and does bring rewards but it doesn't seem to have the thought behind it which you'd normally associate with NZ.

Oh and we still need a decent ODI spinner (here's hoping Vettori gets through the FC stuff injury free).

I think Hesson's days are numbered now. Other than appointing McCullum as captain, I'm not sure what else he's done right. A lot of the selections and tactics have been bizarre or plain wrong. I wouldn't fire him just yet but I wouldn't accept anything short of a series victory in Sri Lanka.

Back