North A And B

Dingo - I'm moving down the highway to Mirboo Nth for season 11/12.
They have lost their young keeper/bat to a eastern suburbs district team and are very keen to sign me.
Their capt/coach called me 30 minutes after losing semi final to Moe.
Being fat, old, experienced, whatever you wanna call it... it'll suit me to a tea.
Hard wickets as well, so atleast I'll be playing on a true bouncing pitch every 2nd game.
I had a purple patch after Xmas this year... scored 300 runs in last 6 games (400 for year)
My keeping is only getting better with age (maybe fatness too) ... 12 catches and 9 stumpings for season 10/11.
I'd love to play again in the big smoke (VTCA) ... but the travel is the only stumbling block.

Way to go Fatman.You have had a purple patch indeed. Well done. You'd go well for Tullamarine, they need a top four bat of your calibre. The going rate for a player of your stature is around $6,000.

Good start would be to sign a bloke who is willing to stick around and guide your mob through these tough times certainly a palying coach would be preferable. Overseas pro would have to wait for a year atleast till you have enough local talent to push for a promotion.

I reckon Avo CC won't be the worst gig going around. Was very impressed with them in 2008/09 (especially some of the lesser likes in that side ).In 2009/10 when i last saw your lads competing in NTH A despite all the departures was very surprised to see yous relegated - becasue there were 3-4 experienced good talented cricketers still around all of whom had solid-good seasons a year before in the GF year and had the perfect opportunity to take the next step. But from memory feedback was not good from other sides which competted against Avo- Common problems were the general attitude - personally the game i saw there were blokes turning up either minutes before and atleast 1 fella half an hour after the game had started with very care free demeanour - you could see couple of experienced lads including the captain shaking helplessly their heads - that was ealry in the season & one could tell it was going to be a miserable old time.

But good to see you old fellas doing some thing off the field to get the club moving up the grades.

Your right, when your down from fairly lofty heights, it's a bitter pill to swallow. Still, on the positive side their is only one way from here and that is up.

Taxi drivers have a habit of turning up late. A couple of juniors whom have finished their junior careers are not very committed and a couple of others are too busy chasing pussy to be fussed about training or playing regularly. No commitment. However their are others (juniors) now playing in our 1's and 2's who are coming along nicely and are good prospects.

I agree. Right now would be a good time for a coach to sign on with the club, now on the ascendency with a whole lot of juniors coming through.

l was going down the line of avondale heights being a very big italian community that most kids in the area would most likely be guided towards soccer rather than cricket and that could affect numbers in the junior ranks but if you are rebuilding then that is a positive for the club.
would you get roy g biv back to coach again our do they only get one crack at coaching down there?

Sidelinedrinker, Fair suck of the sav. Your talking 3rd generation Italians. We're a multi-racial club. Third generation Aussie Italians are turning to cricket in their droves. A recent study by the university of Popendetta confirms this. We have players(juniors and seniors) from Pakistani, Indian,Italian, Vietnam, Macedonian,Chile,Uraguay,Bosnia,Serbian, and Greek backgrounds and not a soccer player amongst them.

Roy would be welcome back with open arms.

Sidelinedrinker, Fair suck of the sav. Your talking 3rd generation Italians. We're a multi-racial club. Third generation Aussie Italians are turning to cricket in their droves. A recent study by the university of Popendetta confirms this. We have players(juniors and seniors) from Pakistani, Indian,Italian, Vietnam, Macedonian,Chile,Uraguay,Bosnia,Serbian, and Greek backgrounds and not a soccer player amongst them.

Roy would be welcome back with open arms.

don't get so defensive richard not bagging avo l actually respect the guys on and off the field after many years of playing you guys. all l was saying is that it would be hard to sign up local lads in your area with the demographic but if you can recruit kids from all sorts of backgrounds then it is a credit to the committee and club.

don't get so defensive richard not bagging avo l actually respect the guys on and off the field after many years of playing you guys. all l was saying is that it would be hard to sign up local lads in your area with the demographic but if you can recruit kids from all sorts of backgrounds then it is a credit to the committee and club.

I didn't think for a moment you were bagging the club. I was questioning your suggestion that 3rd generation Italian Background kids would be pushed into soccer. In most cases Grand Pop would be long gone. Who do you play for?

Your right. The junior committee ably Led by Leigh Shellie with Chris and Lisa Dougherty over the past 6 years, have done an exceptional job resurrecting the clubs junior squad. Not only have they displayed the nouse to do it right but they have also stuck at it for 6 seasons. Which is gold. You can't buy that sort of committment.

I found that Avo Heights were like 2 teams. It seemed really strange how one guy would talk to some blokes, and anothe guy would talk to the rest of them. 1st week of our game, we went inside to hav a drink, and there were 2 players from their side, all the rest had gone. And this was their home game. When they won, the second week they wee all in there but i thought very poor on their behalf. I am sure next season it would be better.

I found that Avo Heights were like 2 teams. It seemed really strange how one guy would talk to some blokes, and anothe guy would talk to the rest of them. 1st week of our game, we went inside to hav a drink, and there were 2 players from their side, all the rest had gone. And this was their home game. When they won, the second week they wee all in there but i thought very poor on their behalf. I am sure next season it would be better.

I reckon that would be because they had one bloke as captain and another as a coach. So probably would be
OK for a captain and Coach to address d team or groups within a team. What they need is a CC with commitment to stick around for atleast 3 years and have had played at a higher level, contribute preferably with both bat n ball. in the mold of Jeffrey/suarez/ablers - know these blokes don't grow on trees (especially Jeffrey/Albers) & cefrtainly not cheap but they need someone of the similar ilk and he must be up for the challenge to restore some former glory with some aggreement to stay the course and not chase $$'s. Sure not easy to find that but that's what gotta be done. Don't reckon their 1X1 has any flags despite all the money spent and talent in NTH A. But first step make the 4 in NTH B next year and see where that takes 'em.

Enough about Avo, what are the thoughts on other clubs. I know the dust is still not settled on the 2010/11 season yet, nonetheless any news on recruits in VTCA across all NTH Clubs. Few clubs are struggling Albion a good example. Will they be around next season.

I reckon that would be because they had one bloke as captain and another as a coach. So probably would be
OK for a captain and Coach to address d team or groups within a team. What they need is a CC with commitment to stick around for atleast 3 years and have had played at a higher level, contribute preferably with both bat n ball. in the mold of Jeffrey/suarez/ablers - know these blokes don't grow on trees (especially Jeffrey/Albers) & cefrtainly not cheap but they need someone of the similar ilk and he must be up for the challenge to restore some former glory with some aggreement to stay the course and not chase $$'s. Sure not easy to find that but that's what gotta be done. Don't reckon their 1X1 has any flags despite all the money spent and talent in NTH A. But first step make the 4 in NTH B next year and see where that takes 'em.

Enough about Avo, what are the thoughts on other clubs. I know the dust is still not settled on the 2010/11 season yet, nonetheless any news on recruits in VTCA across all NTH Clubs. Few clubs are struggling Albion a good example. Will they be around next season.

I'd be surprised if Albion folded. They are an old club and know what it takes to survive. Unfortunately an alleged debt apparently loaned to the club by several members of around allegedly $60,000. as the cricket sections contribution for the erection of new club rooms is a rather large stone around the clubs neck. Apparentrly it is alleged the club is having trouble servicing the interest on the loan let alone the principal.

Rumour has it some of the former club directors of yesteryear are returning to get the clubs finances in order.

I'd be surprised if Albion folded. They are an old club and know what it takes to survive. Unfortunately an alleged debt apparently loaned to the club by several members of around allegedly $60,000. as the cricket sections contribution for the erection of new club rooms is a rather large stone around the clubs neck. Apparentrly it is alleged the club is having trouble servicing the interest on the loan let alone the principal.

Rumour has it some of the former club directors of yesteryear are returning to get the clubs finances in order.

a lot of allegations there.

first XI played the game in poor sprit this year, so not really too upset about them (sledging when getting smashed??). but feel sorry for those that play(ed) in their lower grades.

A question for the intelligent cricketers playing in North B1 this year.
How does Lomas and Irfan beat Lee Lewis for champion player?
Lee opened the Bowling and opened the batting all year and was leading wicket taker and also top 3 with the bat.
Dont get me wrong Lomas and Irfan are both good cricketers but they weren't doing the hard yards at the pointy end of the stick every week.
I am amazed with the result.....

Lee opened the Bowling and opened the batting all year and was leading wicket taker and also top 3 with the bat.
Dont get me wrong Lomas and Irfan are both good cricketers but they weren't doing the hard yards at the pointy end of the stick every week.

voted by umpires

That explains everything....

I understand about the medal, well done to the Lomas. Just like the brownlow though, the umpires votes will always be questioned. sometimes its a good player, very good player or gun that wins it, but the best individual for the year doeasnt always win- matthews, carey, ablett snr, ablett jnr was the standout for 3 years and only won 1. havent seen Lomas but told hes a gun. what i dont understand is how a large comp like the vtca doesnt have a champion player aswell. every single cricket club i know, has a champion player and most a medal like the vtca. the last comp we were from, gave out champion player for every grade and also the bowling and batting awards. i was shocked when i heard the vtca doesnt give out any batting and bowling awards, but then to find out there was no champion player, i couldnt belive it. Not just from a rooster point of view, walton in the 2nds won the bowling agg and champion player and was really well deserved. im sure they would be nice awards to put with his premiership and look back on later. obv we have only been in the vtca for 2 seasons, but have any clubs brought this up before?

According to averages in Leading Edge, Lewis had the 11th best batting average, and 8th best bowling average. To me that explains why he didn't win it. He was leading wicket-taker simply because he bowled more overs than anyone else. Let O'Brien from Laverton bowl another 55 overs to even it up and he would have got 50 wickets! The umpires clearly take into account the opportunities that blokes get. Both Lewis & Bhatti opened the batting & bowling for their clubs, probably more a reflection on their teammates abilities than their own. Lomas a deserving winner for me.

Wrong again Coq..............:rolleyes:

According to averages in Leading Edge, Lewis had the 11th best batting average, and 8th best bowling average. To me that explains why he didn't win it. He was leading wicket-taker simply because he bowled more overs than anyone else. Let O'Brien from Laverton bowl another 55 overs to even it up and he would have got 50 wickets! The umpires clearly take into account the opportunities that blokes get. Both Lewis & Bhatti opened the batting & bowling for their clubs, probably more a reflection on their teammates abilities than their own. Lomas a deserving winner for me.

My stats say Leigh's average was 6th in the comp and 2 blokes ahead of him had 3 red inks. Remember Leigh opens the batting!!! O'brien based on his figures would have ended up on 41 wickets. Dont give us averages of blokes playing 3 or 4 games.... Leigh clearly the best player for the season for mine.....

My stats say Leigh's average was 6th in the comp and 2 blokes ahead of him had 3 red inks. Remember Leigh opens the batting!!! O'brien based on his figures would have ended up on 41 wickets asuming his second spell was as good as his first. Dont give us averages of blokes playing 3 or 4 games.... Leigh clearly the best player for the season for mine.....

My stats say Leigh's average was 6th in the comp and 2 blokes ahead of him had 3 red inks. Remember Leigh opens the batting!!! O'brien based on his figures would have ended up on 41 wickets asuming his second spell was as good as his first. Dont give us averages of blokes playing 3 or 4 games.... Leigh clearly the best player for the season for mine.....

Everyone entitled to an opinion, just don't think anyone outside of your club will agree with yours.

I understand about the medal, well done to the Lomas. Just like the brownlow though, the umpires votes will always be questioned. sometimes its a good player, very good player or gun that wins it, but the best individual for the year doeasnt always win- matthews, carey, ablett snr, ablett jnr was the standout for 3 years and only won 1. havent seen Lomas but told hes a gun. what i dont understand is how a large comp like the vtca doesnt have a champion player aswell. every single cricket club i know, has a champion player and most a medal like the vtca. the last comp we were from, gave out champion player for every grade and also the bowling and batting awards. i was shocked when i heard the vtca doesnt give out any batting and bowling awards, but then to find out there was no champion player, i couldnt belive it. Not just from a rooster point of view, walton in the 2nds won the bowling agg and champion player and was really well deserved. im sure they would be nice awards to put with his premiership and look back on later. obv we have only been in the vtca for 2 seasons, but have any clubs brought this up before?

I think it makes it tough to hand out awards for other grades other than the firsts due to a high amount of players being in and out of grades and therefore making it tough to gain a true understanding of the best player in the grade

Back