North A & B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: North A & B

Guru14;329328 said:
2time in my time 5 wickets has always been the same as getting a ton. I don't understand clubs that recognise 7 instead of 5. many people would suggest 5 is the equal to 50 but if we use that 100 would be equal to getting all 10. 7 fa is spot on the points system recognises sides making 20 runs to one wicket as you get 2 points a wicket but 5 wickets is the same as making 50 in their eyes for individuals. many different scenarios but I think if you take 5 as a bowler it's similiar to making 100 as a bat.

Guru, for longer than I care to remember 7 has always been regarded by most as equal to a hundred. In those days and I'm speaking 30 odd years ago, cricket was played on uncovered wickets and in some cases ordinary tracks. If two bowlers were to take 5 wkts each in the same innings who would have the ball mounted on there trophy, or would they get half each?:D

ROY G BIV;328407 said:
On that FootUtd game does anyone know why S Pietsch and bainbrige didn't bowl? THey were a great chance to force a finals birth and their best 2 bowlers don't appear on the bowling card.

Gr$$nval$ in ominous form with the bat leading into finals, likes of inness,courts,kent and portou could bat others outta games if they keep this up in next weeks' finals.

Avondale another contender looks to be hitting some good form, this week and the last rnd very comfortable wins. They may need an outright just to shut the door on westy and parkville. Westy could still be a chance for an outright, Albion need 80 odd runs with 7 Wkts in hand, their lower order is known to collapse pretty meagerly. So keep an eye on that one for Avondale.

FootUtd if they manage to win this week should stay in, don't know how many are going to be relegated though 2,3,4 all 12????

EK showed some fight but not having butters and hackney for the entire season has cost them a spot in Nth A.

Seddon are obviously gone that club needs some serious rebuilding, can an outright save abers? Most likely NOT.

At this stage by the looks of it Seddon,abers and EK are in NTH B. If 3 are to be relegated.

Top 4.
Looks like KP V Gr$$nval$ SEMi locked in
Tulla V Avondale, provided westy don't get an outright

For mine these have been the best 4 sides this season in NTH A
Gr$$navle batting quartet makes them the favs for mine with Avondale being a wildcard.

MY Early prediction. Gr$$nvale V Avondale Granny with Gr$$nval$ Favs.
Roy boy, as you well know the decision to send three clubs south to nth"b" is still pending. It may not necessarily happen in the manner that has been suggested.
However if three were to go south then I think Seddon should just so that they can rebuild as they are an ageing side. F/u and E/K don"t deserve relegation. They are good clubs with good turf tables and the wicket preparation is good.
The two clubs I would send south to join Seddon are St. Albans and Albion. The preparation of those tracks all season has been abysmal and both those clubs deserve a good kick in the pants. Just last saturday St. Albans V Avondale 2nds 24 wickets went down. Come this saturday 6pm one of them will win outright twice.:eek:

WTF!;330097 said:
G'day guys! Interesting happening in the North B last round game of Flemington Vs Moonee Valley. As some may already be aware, last week was washed out due to a broken hose that wet one end of the pitch on the Fri night before the game. The curator then went about trying to rectify the wicket and get it up for the Sat play but with one end wet, had to leave the covers off as we all know, you don't put covers down on a wet deck if you are wanting it to dry. Sat morning rolls around and the wet end is still damp so goes about getting it ready for the next 5 hrs. The wet affected area starts about 2.5m in front of the batting crease stretching back behind the popping crease but is still a touch soft after constant rolling and drying at around 12.30 when the capts and umpire meet to discuss. The umpire hands it over to the capts and they agree to call the game off on the basis of an agreement to play a one dayer next week as the toss would be too crucial. Bear in mind Flem have nothing play for, will miss finals, MV sit 2nd about 3pts behind top and 6+pts in front of 3rd so only a loss will affect them. Everyone agrees and everyone heads home. That night MV put on the website that they won the game due to forfeit by Flem. They also lodge an appeal to the VTCA to claim maximum points based on Flem not having put covers down on Fri night. Appeal is upheld at the VTCA Tribunal during the week with maximum pts given to MV and no game to be played this week! VTCA confirm the hose issue was an accident and that not putting covers down was the correct course of action to take. However because Flem didnt contact the VTCA on Fri night to seek permission to leave covers off, game is forfeited!
Fair enough. By the book, thats what it states but surely some common sense should come into play. Or change the god damn rule.
Secondly, how dodgey from MV and their Fat Captain to have an agreement to play a 1 dayer the next week and then lodge an appeal! If no agreement had been made at 12.30, the players would have waited a couple of hrs until the pitch would have been playable and played a reduced overs game, probably 60-65 overs per side!
Unbelievabley poor on their part and one can only hope that the cricketing gods will get them once again now given they will head into a semi final without match practice the preceding 2 weeks.

Ok from what I am reading here all the comments that are being written are based on comments, or from persons associated with Flemington. Just a little from the Moonee Valley side if thats ok,
For starters its almost as if we did this, we turned up to play, you didnt have a wicket prepared. Nowhere is ther any mention of the rain that fell on the Friday night Saturday morning that also wet the wicket The agreement that we play a one dayer next week was said in the sense that if we have to play a one dayer next week we will, but we will be notifing our commitee of whats gone on today.
The comment that we would of waited till the wicket dried up a little, are you serious? At 12:30 the wicket was still being rolled with lumps of mud/pitch being dragged up by the roller, we would never have played on it.
We didnt ask to turn up to a wet wicket, that was your doing. Our ground was available on the Sunday to play on if you had of rang the VTCA and or Moonee Valley and said our wicket is wet we wont get it up, then we may have been able to work around it. If you had of been playing another top 4 side do you think that they would just say, "thats ok guys no problem we will let all the other teams that are playing this week play for maximum points and we will be happy to settle on a one dayer." No way. There are a lot of people who put way too much time and effort into playing and running not only this club but all clubs to have the chance to play a game on equal terms as everybody else taken away by no fault of theirs, not to mention a game that could change the ladder and finals positions.
I dont have any problem with the action the commitee took, Flemington wet the wicket not us and there are rules in place that every club in the VTCA must play by and you didnt.
By the way you no longer get maiximum points as you stated, its average win/draw points for the round.
Oh and also, that dodgy Fat captian as you called him last week virtually single handly raised close to $10,000 for victims of the recent Bushfires. Yeah a real prick of a bloke.

What in the blazers;330329 said:
Ok from what I am reading here all the comments that are being written are based on comments, or from persons associated with Flemington. Just a little from the Moonee Valley side if thats ok,
For starters its almost as if we did this, we turned up to play, you didnt have a wicket prepared. Nowhere is ther any mention of the rain that fell on the Friday night Saturday morning that also wet the wicket, the agreement that we play a one dayer next week was said in the sense that if we have to play a one dayer next week we will, but we will be notifing our commitee of whats gone on today, the comment that we would of waited till the wicket dried up a little, are you serious? At 12:30 the wicket was still being rolled with lumps of mud/pitch being dragged up by the roller, we would never have played on it.
We didnt ask to turn up to a wet wicket, that was your doing. Our ground was available on the Sunday to play on if you had of rang the VTCA and or Moonee Valley and said our wicket is wet we wont get it up then we may have been able to work around it. If you had of been playing another top 4 side do you think that they would just say thats ok guys no problem we will let all the other teams that are playing this week play for maximum points and we will be happy to settle on a one dayer. No way. There a lot of people who put way too much time and effort into playing and running not only this club but all clubs to have the chance to play a game on equal terms as everybody else taken away by no fault of theirs, not to mention a game that could change the ladder and finals positions. I dont have any problem with the action the commitee took, Flemington wet the wicket not us and there are rules in place that every club in the VTCA must play by and you didnt. By the way you no longer get maiximum points as you stated, its average win/draw points for the round.

So if you no longer get maximum points your saying that MV have been robbed of an outright win against Flemington. You still get 6 for a win regardless whether its a one day or two day game. Add the potential bonus points and all I can think is that you would go close to the same points as most would get. I think it was more a case of lets get as many as we can based on maximum points and I have no doubt that you guys weren't aware of the rule change until it was sent to the exec and they informed you. I might be being harsh but the fact that you guys have lodged an appeal would make me think it highly unlikely you would of rescheduled. You guys will be sh*ting yourself that you play Aber park in a semi which will effectively see you stay in NorthB as you guys don't have the game to match them on so many different levels. So lets hatch a plan, one which will see us get more points than we would get from a one day game and gets us to the top and we get to play Jacana but unfortunately you didn't know the new rules and now it's a case of we just want to play by the rules. Get a grip too many know MV and realise that it's a load of crap what you guys are coming up with in an effort to defuse a situation which is bad sportmanship- If the shoe was on the other foot I would be reading about your one day game this week because Flemington would not have gone to the exec. Win games on your own merits

For starters its almost as if we did this, we turned up to play, you didnt have a wicket prepared. Nowhere is ther any mention of the rain that fell on the Friday night Saturday morning that also wet the wicket The agreement that we play a one dayer next week was said in the sense that if we have to play a one dayer next week we will, but we will be notifing our commitee of whats gone on today.
The comment that we would of waited till the wicket dried up a little, are you serious? At 12:30 the wicket was still being rolled with lumps of mud/pitch being dragged up by the roller, we would never have played on it.
We didnt ask to turn up to a wet wicket, that was your doing. Our ground was available on the Sunday to play on if you had of rang the VTCA and or Moonee Valley and said our wicket is wet we wont get it up, then we may have been able to work around it. If you had of been playing another top 4 side do you think that they would just say, "thats ok guys no problem we will let all the other teams that are playing this week play for maximum points and we will be happy to settle on a one dayer." No way. There are a lot of people who put way too much time and effort into playing and running not only this club but all clubs to have the chance to play a game on equal terms as everybody else taken away by no fault of theirs, not to mention a game that could change the ladder and finals positions.
I dont have any problem with the action the commitee took, Flemington wet the wicket not us and there are rules in place that every club in the VTCA must play by and you didnt.
By the way you no longer get maiximum points as you stated, its average win/draw points for the round.
Oh and also, that dodgy Fat captian as you called him last week virtually single handly raised close to $10,000 for victims of the recent Bushfires. Yeah a real prick of a bloke.[/QUOTE]

Don't mistake an act of charity and an act of bad sportsmanship- What MV has done goes against the reason we all get out on a Saturday but hey if you guys get your dream and finish on top the crap you're copping doesn't really matter. Finish second and get smashed by Aber Park in a semi simple as that. I guess I would try and cheat my way there as well if it meant going up a grade or would I because I play cause I love playing cricket and the only thing I would have protested last week would have been I missed a Saturday of cricket. Good Luck champ hope it's worth the trouble

Guru14;330175 said:
It would have been many years back as they haven't played in a granny for about 20 years, and no mate definately not the Pres! Just a keen on looker

Shame on you Guru. You should know better (and I thought you were a student of the game!)

Aberfeldie Park have indeed played in a GF within the past 20 years. Not many, but they managed to compete in 1994-95 ... and won it. They made the semi-finals in North A the next season, only to be relegated the following year. That means it has been just on 12 years since they were last in North A. Still too long, but they just as easily could have fallen off the face of the cricket world.

Sober Symonds;330369 said:
Shame on you Guru. You should know better (and I thought you were a student of the game!)

Aberfeldie Park have indeed played in a GF within the past 20 years. Not many, but they managed to compete in 1994-95 ... and won it. They made the semi-finals in North A the next season, only to be relegated the following year. That means it has been just on 12 years since they were last in North A. Still too long, but they just as easily could have fallen off the face of the cricket world.

Sober interesting you would know that fact, it's like metric conversion. Many think it useless but those who know impress others by the knowledge. I guess we can agree it's been a long time. 2006/07 they had a great side that lacked conviction at the business end of the season. Met Tulla in a semi and unfortunately where out played by a mentally stronger side, who surprised everyone and won the flag.

Sober, whats the connection with Aber Park, it must be close to know that information

Oh and also, that dodgy Fat captian as you called him last week virtually single handly raised close to $10,000 for victims of the recent Bushfires. Yeah a real prick of a bloke.

Without getting into smearing people on this blog, Im sure the MV captain is an outstanding citizen and pays his taxes like anyone and we are not questioning his fundraising skills. All we are commenting on here is the spirit in which this all happened? If he was so unhappy with not playing on the Sat why didnt he suggest playing the match on a Sun or on a different ground? Instead a "gentlemens agreement" was made b/w the captains that a one dayer was to be played the following week? What happened to that agreement? If he had stated that they were going to go for the points by ways of a tribunal then do you think that an agreement would have been made? Instead an outright lie was told to the opposing captain in order to gain these points. Now i know the VTCA in all there wisdom would have just read the rules ect and not taken into consideration the external factors, but in all my years of watching ,playing cricket this has not occurred, mainly due to common sense. I hope all grades make sure they cover their wicket on a Friday night as if that is the precendant that is set then there will be lots of complaints lodged as i have been past many grounds that have been left uncovered over the years on a Fri night! Anyway i can understand that MV would lodge a complaint as it state in the rules that you must cover a wicket even it it is wet!!!! and yes Flemington did not adhere to them , the problem here lies in the spirit of cricket, in which untimately MV as the losers, big time.

sledger1976;313886 said:
i put this up to you
Jacana play MV, Craigie, AP

I think Criagieburn will make it and whoever wins the game between Jacana and AP will finish 3rd

1 MV
2 Werr
3 ?
4 Craigie

not a bad call from over a month ago.

Now what would the odds be?

Werr v Crazy

MV v AP

Guru14;330429 said:
Sober interesting you would know that fact, it's like metric conversion. Many think it useless but those who know impress others by the knowledge. I guess we can agree it's been a long time. 2006/07 they had a great side that lacked conviction at the business end of the season. Met Tulla in a semi and unfortunately where out played by a mentally stronger side, who surprised everyone and won the flag.

Sober, whats the connection with Aber Park, it must be close to know that information

Close, but maybe not as close as you Guru!?! Maybe my name is Leo...n ???

No, that's just teasing you. Let's just say I know a reasonable amount about many of the Nth clubs. Some I hold in higher regard than others.

Sorry to spring those figures on you, but for a club devoid of success for so long, the year sticks in the memory. (Melbourne in 1958 wasn't it?) You're right, AP did promise much a couple of seasons back by holding top position most of the season. Word has it their leader lost the plot a little bit.

By the way, I'm not a religious man and I know this isn't the correct forum, but may we please stop to offer one quick "Praise the Lord" for the inglorious relegation of Doutta Stars CC.

sledger1976;330612 said:
not a bad call from over a month ago.

Now what would the odds be?

Werr v Crazy

MV v AP

Yeah, good call Sledger. I'll put the pressure on a bit more: who will still be playing in a couple of weeks' time?

By the way, I'm independent but for what it's worth it sounds to me like MValley went about it the wrong way. You don't want to be known for that sort of thing. People will remember it forever, and it wasn't like Flem were doing anything underhand in the first place - careless though they might have been.

Sober Symonds;330990 said:
Close, but maybe not as close as you Guru!?! Maybe my name is Leo...n ???

No, that's just teasing you. Let's just say I know a reasonable amount about many of the Nth clubs. Some I hold in higher regard than others.

Sorry to spring those figures on you, but for a club devoid of success for so long, the year sticks in the memory. (Melbourne in 1958 wasn't it?) You're right, AP did promise much a couple of seasons back by holding top position most of the season. Word has it their leader lost the plot a little bit.

By the way, I'm not a religious man and I know this isn't the correct forum, but may we please stop to offer one quick "Praise the Lord" for the inglorious relegation of Doutta Stars CC.

Sober, 1964 was probably of more a better win, 1958 was a disappointment! If your name was Leo....n, congrats on making the finals. Anyway that year there was probably one occassion which I would have considered the line losing the plot. Did a great job given the circumstances he took the role. Great bowler, pity he left was the difference between Aber park making the finals the following year IMO. I honestly think it will be a Werribee Aber Park granny and unfortunately I see the Bears relaxing having made North A and losing the big one. One word stands between them and the flag 'Edrick', mentally they are fragile against him and no one else in the comp. He's a great bowler and is at you and bowls stump to stump, will get plenty in the finals series. I noticed he didn't play the last game, resting?????????

Sober Symonds;330993 said:
Yeah, good call Sledger. I'll put the pressure on a bit more: who will still be playing in a couple of weeks' time?

By the way, I'm independent but for what it's worth it sounds to me like MValley went about it the wrong way. You don't want to be known for that sort of thing. People will remember it forever, and it wasn't like Flem were doing anything underhand in the first place - careless though they might have been.

For me Aber/Park will beat MV easily, MV rely on perera who if tied down will play loose shots. "OLD MAN" as he has been called will hit the spot all day and perera will get tied down and throw it away if Pascu can keep it tight at the other end. Bowling for the valley very average, so A/P in a canter.

Werribee should beat Crazyburn. The only way Crazyburn can win is to role Werribee for a score of 120 or less. Cant see this happening. Only down side that could happen is Crazyburn pull a big innings out the bag and destroy Werribee which would make it an easy win to Aber/Park in the granny as i could not see Crazyburn having 2 great games in a row.

So for me Werribee V Aber/Park granny with AP to win it.

Dingo_Jones;330259 said:
Roy boy, as you well know the decision to send three clubs south to nth"b" is still pending. It may not necessarily happen in the manner that has been suggested.
However if three were to go south then I think Seddon should just so that they can rebuild as they are an ageing side. F/u and E/K don"t deserve relegation. They are good clubs with good turf tables and the wicket preparation is good.
The two clubs I would send south to join Seddon are St. Albans and Albion. The preparation of those tracks all season has been abysmal and both those clubs deserve a good kick in the pants. Just last saturday St. Albans V Avondale 2nds 24 wickets went down. Come this saturday 6pm one of them will win outright twice.:eek:

Don't finish in the position that puts you in the relegation zone, pitch preperation is irrelevant. Speaking to the Albion blokes about the GV game that resulted in an outright was not pitch induced. GV blokes came out swinging in the 2nd dig & got rolled, 300 in the day can't be too bad a deck. I played on the St Albans deck once this year & i've played on alot worse, a bit of side way stuff but watch the ball & you should be ok. Wouldn't Parkville due to location be an option as well? If the VTCA send either of Albion or St Albans Sth i would put my money on them leaving the comp all together. Like the VTCA would care, as long as the big boys are looked after it doesn't really matter does it??? Can anyone confirm if the Snr boys did the player affidavit signings? Not a hope.....

Did anyone go and watch the game on Sunday at Port Melbourne between VTCA and the rest of the world VTCA. Who starred ???

Unfortunatley I was unable to make it to watch the game nursing a hangover but I heard the Port Melbourne deck was a belter and the outfield was lush. Its been a while since we have been able to field on a ground with a nice lush surface. Appaently there wasn't really anyone who dominated however there were afew good innings and some big hitting by Brown.

Have spoken to a few people and they tell me that the game was played in a good spirit and the standard was high quality. (I think a few of the boys took it a little easy as finals are coming up this week and no-one wanted to get injured which is fair enough)

what are ppls thoughts on the upcoming semi final in both north a and north b

North A

Tullamarine vs Avondale Heights

Keilor Park vs Greenvale

North B

Werribee Centrals vs Craigieburn

Moonee Valley vs Aberfeldie Park

should be some good matches

JP Duminy;331698 said:
Unfortunatley I was unable to make it to watch the game nursing a hangover but I heard the Port Melbourne deck was a belter and the outfield was lush. Its been a while since we have been able to field on a ground with a nice lush surface. Appaently there wasn't really anyone who dominated however there were afew good innings and some big hitting by Brown.

Have spoken to a few people and they tell me that the game was played in a good spirit and the standard was high quality. (I think a few of the boys took it a little easy as finals are coming up this week and no-one wanted to get injured which is fair enough)

I played there a few years ago and it was the best ground Ive ever played on. the deck was hard and the outfield was like carpet. We stayed out on the ground after the game and had a beer. Ive never seen anything like it since.

demon;331856 said:
I played there a few years ago and it was the best ground Ive ever played on. the deck was hard and the outfield was like carpet. We stayed out on the ground after the game and had a beer. Ive never seen anything like it since.

Drove past today and I thought about playing at Port next year! You still get to play on it in the twos, that's got to be good for everyone. it just looks fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back