Nz In Australia 2011

futureblackcap

If there is any a time to beat Australia in the Test match format it is now but Australia is never an easy team to beat. I have confidence in our batting line-up to do the job if they bat sensibly and don't have too many brain explosions like most of them are capable of. I'm not sure how many of you know anything about Kane Williamson but he is NZ's next big thing and he looks made for the longer formats. VERY EXCITING! :) Which is great because we have produced heaps and heaps of good one day players and T20 players but really struggled with producing could test match batsmen. Kane comes off a century in the ODI format and a 49 and 68 in the test match in Zimbabwe.

My worry is with NZ's bowlers. A line-up consisting of Chris Martin, Tim Southee (hopefully), Doug Bracewell, Daniel Vettori and Andy McKay is not going to strike fear into the Australians and both Martin and Southee struggle to get wickets if it isn't swinging. Vettori doesn't turn the ball very much anymore for whatever reason so he doesn't pick up the crucial wickets unless the batsmen makes a mistake rather than a fantastic delivery. If the blackcap selectors would select Adam Milne (19), then we would have a bowler who really would trouble the Aussies with his pace. I really hope he is selected this time!

I will be happy if we can at least be competitive right up to the last day in both test matches.

My Squads for the test series:
NZ
Brendon McCullum
Martin Guptil
Kane Williamson
Ross Taylor
James Franklyn
Jesse Ryder
Dean Brownlie
Reece Young
Grant Eliiot
Daniel Vettori
Adam Milne
Doug Bracewell
Chris Martin
Tim Southee
Brent Arnel

Australia
Michael Clarke
Shane Watson
Shaun Marsh
Usman Khawaja
Phil Hughes
Mike Hussey
Simon Katich (I know it's not going to happen)
Brad Haddin
Tim Paine
Nathan Lyon
Xavier Doherty
Doug Bollinger
Pat Cummins
Trent Copeland
Ryan Harris
Peter Siddle

New coach, same old players though. Injuries might force a few hands, as well as save a few old ones.

Australia are waiting to see if fast bowler Mitchell Johnson and allrounder Shane Watson will recover from injuries in time for the first Test against New Zealand, which begins on December 1 at the Gabba.
"Mitchell Johnson has an injury to the main joint of his big toe in the left foot,'' Australia's physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said. "The scans will be reviewed in the next 24 hours and he will also be assessed by medical staff at the WACA on return to Perth. His availability for the first Test match against New Zealand will be determined after these assessments are complete.
"Shane Watson had a scan that has confirmed the extent of the hamstring injury he sustained in the first innings of the second Test. He will be monitored over the coming days to determine his availability for the first Test in Brisbane.''

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia-v-new-zealand-2011/content/story/541672.html

Cricket Australia website now saying that Harris, Watson, Marsh, Johnson and Cummins all out for Brisbane, looks like Australia will be going in with their youngest side for quite some time.

And most inexperienced. We'll see some major changes and an insight into who the new selection panel has in their sights for the future.

Hmmmmm................

Three exciting pace tyros — James Pattinson, Mitchell Starc and Ben Cutting — have been drafted into a new-look squad for the first Test against New Zealand.

The new selectors made a bold statement about their intentions to blood young cricketers by including three members of Australia’s much-vaunted emerging pack of young quicks, leaving Peter Siddle as the only experienced hand in the attack.

One of the quartet is likely to be omitted to accommodate the spinner, Nathan Lyon, while Ben Hilfenhaus and Trent Copeland were overlooked for the 12-man squad.

David Warner will make his Test debut, opening the batting with Phillip Hughes at the ‘Gabba on Thursday.

The other point of intrigue was the status of former captain Ricky Ponting and wicketkeeper Brad Haddin, and both have been reprieved for the series opener.

In fact, Haddin was promoted to vice-captain in the absence of the injured Shane Watson.

This has to be the best chance that NZ have had to knock Australia off at Test level for as long as I can remember.

If they don't get carried away with trying to belt the ball in the air all the time. If the Kiwis actually try and bat like test batsmen, I see no reason why they shouldn't be really competitive in this series.

The two wickets are the most bowler-friendly in Aus though, so that's against anyone scoring big.

This should be very interesting. I still can't see us bowling you out unless your batsmen do the NZ brain explosion thing. I am confident it will be very competitive though

Both attacks look fairly weak and this series could come down to a battle of who's batting line-up can perform better. I think this will be the closest Australia-NZ series we've had for a while.

Both attacks look fairly weak and this series could come down to a battle of who's batting line-up can perform better. I think this will be the closest Australia-NZ series we've had for a while.

Agreed

Can't wait for this one! :) Hopefully, we can start playing really good test cricket so that the ICC will give us more test matches per series and in the future. At the moment, we only get one or two test matches a series which sucks!

Once again, the selectors have left out Adam Milne. This is frustrating from a spectators point of view!

NZ's real squad:
Ross Taylor (capt)
Trent Boult
Doug Bracewell
Dean Brownlie
Martin Guptill
Chris Martin
Brendon McCullum
Jesse Ryder
Tim Southee
Daniel Vettori
BJ Watling
Kane Williamson
Reece Young

New Zealand team looks ok but i don't know a few players so they remain to be seen. Australia have a young team too so we are at risk of some exciting cricket with a mini collapse or two and a couple of brave efforts to win the game. Just might even prove to be exciting cricket.

NZ were not impressive to say the least today. Taylor's wicket was especially immature! Baz, Brownlie and Vettori, the only batsmen worth mentioning!

I was worried that the Kiwis would throw their wickets away and so it came to pass. I wish the senior batsmen would just for once understand that it's a five day match not a sloggers' showoff competition. Sorry, futureblackcap but I've seen this all before.

NZ put enough together and we obliged by having our openers bat like a T20. Never mind both young and much to learn. Bowlers went ok just got a little lost latter in the day. Some experience will fix that, looks ok into the future. Should make a good game

The catching has been shit house in this match by both sides. It's not actually been very good quality cricket overall.

The catching has been shit house in this match by both sides. It's not actually been very good quality cricket overall.

Yeah I have to agree with you, Both sides have had some chances they have been dropped. But overall its been a entertaining macth so far.

New Zealand 1st innings 295
Australia 1st innings 295
New Zealand 2nd Innings 1/10 Stumps on Day 3.

Who has been the best player so far for Australia? and New Zealand? I've liked Daniel Vettori for NZ But for Australia I'd say Michael Clarke.

Back