ODI XI Selection Thread

It will be an interesting series on some levels in England. I'd prefer the English team to play another test against SA but that ain't the modern way.

Can't work out if I am pleased about Johnson coming back to the ODI team. Our bowling has hardly been outstanding in his absence and he has a great record.

Can work out if I am happy that he is in the A squad though...

All players have to grow and learn and this guy seems to have the patience. we have a shortage of experienced players at the moment, they are either young or they are retiring.

Seems to me that the selectors have this theory that every batsman in the team must be big hitting match winning players. Once upon a time we used to select an opener who would/could stick around for 50 overs make a 90 or 100 and support the big hitters. Interestingly Cook does this job for the Poms.As soon as a batsman plays a slow innings everyone is after him to be dropped. Get an opener who can stick around and support the heroes and their cameos.

Seems to me that the selectors have this theory that every batsman in the team must be big hitting match winning players. Once upon a time we used to select an opener who would/could stick around for 50 overs make a 90 or 100 and support the big hitters. Interestingly Cook does this job for the Poms.As soon as a batsman plays a slow innings everyone is after him to be dropped. Get an opener who can stick around and support the heroes and their cameos.
I think we need at least one accumulator who is an anchor, and a rock. Shane Watson has done this, but has often failed once he gets to 40 or 50 by trying to pick up the run rate. In fairness, this is often due to wickets falling around him and the lack of batsman coming through so runs need to be scored.

I would consider an accumulator more of a hero than the big hitters. I think the David Warner obsession has worn off now, the public are expecting him to play better cricket shots now.

People get far too obsessed about the men that can hit the ball a country mile yet can't defend. They are great when in form, out of form they are a waste of space, and might as well be playing bocce. Get a one day side with a few more players like the husseys in the batting order who can think through a game situation and have the skills to go at 8 an over without having to swing from the hips, yet can hang around when we are in trouble and we will do a lot better in the shorter form of the game. Players need to have more than one gear to be considered for one day cricket.

Have been impressed for awhile now with Aaron Finch has all the shots now seems to have a bit of a defence too could be a smokey for a Test hope your watching him Wally and John we need talented players you had a beautiful defence Wally and Invers get dowwn and teach him he has too much talent

His List A record is very poor though. Some players aren't suited to limited overs. I would think if Clarke was there he wouldn't get a spot at all.
Fielding is a big part of limited overs and we just dont seem to have the guys that can take the miracle catches anymore like the waughs you can not be just a batsman you have to be effective in all parts of the game say as a Ian or Greg Chappell this is whats lacking West Indies are back because I have watched sammy he has emerged in all facets of the game because he knew he had a deficiency and worked on it a great credit to him.

Fielding is a big part of limited overs and we just dont seem to have the guys that can take the miracle catches anymore like the waughs you can not be just a batsman you have to be effective in all parts of the game say as a Ian or Greg Chappell this is whats lacking West Indies are back because I have watched sammy he has emerged in all facets of the game because he knew he had a deficiency and worked on it a great credit to him.

Test Side 2012 First TestCowan Warnerl Clarke Ponting Finch Hartley WatsonStarc Pattinson Siddle lyon 12th Man Forrest a few new faces Finch Hartley Very Consistent form batsmen at the moment and lets go and win tests

Quite a few brave selections in there Walshy, not sure that Hartley would be up to test level. Forrest is still a big of an unknown and Finch is more of a one-day player in my opinion.

Although it would never happen I'd rather Hartley over Haddin, he's a proper keeper and actually values his wicket when batting. They should stick with Wade over Haddin for this summer but who knows with the selectors.

It's up in the air at the moment. Haddin has looked alright at domestic level but tests are a step up from that. Wade hasn't done much at all of late.

I think they'll go with Haddin for the tests and Wade in the one-day stuff.

Have been impressed for awhile now with Aaron Finch has all the shots now seems to have a bit of a defence too could be a smokey for a Test hope your watching him Wally and John we need talented players you had a beautiful defence Wally and Invers get dowwn and teach him he has too much talent

You can't have been impressed with him very much in first class cricket. He was dire last summer.

Commonwealth Bank one-day international 13-man squad:

George Bailey (captain) TAS
Ben Cutting QLD
XavierDoherty TAS
Aaron Finch VIC
Brad Haddin NSW
Phillip Hughes SA
David Hussey VIC
Mitchell Johnson WA
UsmanKhawaja QLD
Glenn Maxwell VIC
Clint McKay VIC
Steve Smith NSW
Mitchell Starc NSW

Very disappointing that Michael Hussey has been left out of the one day team. They should be looking to win every match and Michael Hussey is more than capable of helping them do that. Resting Michael Clarke was expected due to his hamstring injury. David Warner and Matthew Wade should be playing in the first two games but the selectors are very careful on a players workload these days.

Tim Paine should have been included in the squad before Brad Haddin. Haddin is 35 and has had his time playing for Australia, he isn't in the best form at the moment anyway. Paine is clean with the gloves and has good leadership skills. I did think it was rough how Haddin was dumped from the test team though so good luck to him all the same.

The selectors are mostly picking players that are in form which is good to see. Aaron Finch is a great inclusion given his form in the shorter forms of the game. Usman Khawaja finally gets his chance to play for Australia again, hopefully he can make some runs in this form of the game. I will be interested to see how Been Cutting goes and what his bowling is like. Glenn Maxwell has a chance to gain some more experience before he most likely plays in India. Steve Smith really needs to impress when he is given a chance to play. He has the skills to bee a good player but he needs to put them into practice. Good to see David Hussey in the squad I think he will do well in this series. George Bailey needs to do well with the bat and stand up as the captain, to set an example to the other players.

Shame about Finch. His get out shots were weak in both matches. That's probably him done for one dayers this summer, I really hope he gets a shot in T20 internationals though.

Score of 8/39 of 17 overs after Clarke won the toss and batted. Every player should be dropped for the next game and just play kids. At least they are well rested.

If the selectors are preparing for the next world cup and are expected to cut Haddin out of the side I think David Hussey should be the next to go, he's a year older (35) and has only made one ODI century which was against Scotland and making 30-40's doesn't cut it at international level. My future ODI squad to play in India and England would be:-
D.Warner
P.Hughes
M.Clarke
U.Khawaja
G.Bailey
M.Wade
M.Johnson
P.Siddle (If available)
M.Starc
C.McKay
X.Doherty
G.Maxwell
J.Pattinson
A.Finch
Any thoughts?

If the selectors are preparing for the next world cup and are expected to cut Haddin out of the side I think David Hussey should be the next to go, he's a year older (35) and has only made one ODI century which was against Scotland and making 30-40's doesn't cut it at international level. My future ODI squad to play in India and England would be:-
D.Warner
P.Hughes
M.Clarke
U.Khawaja
G.Bailey
M.Wade
M.Johnson
P.Siddle (If available)
M.Starc
C.McKay
X.Doherty
G.Maxwell
J.Pattinson
A.Finch
Any thoughts?
By 2015 David Hussey might be in Bradman form and be punching out hundreds every match, Matthew Wade might have turned himself into a fast bowler and Mitchell Starc might be a top order batsman by then. I don't why the selectors think it is a good idea to focus so much on the world cup. You don't know what is going to happen by 2015. Half of these players might be injured or up and coming players might have worked there way into the team. I was joking by listing those things happening but preparing this early for the world cup is a silly idea. You should be watching certain players form but selecting squads this far ahead is pointless to me.

Back