ODI XI Selection Thread

James Faulkner comes into Australia's ODI squad to replace Moises Henriques because of a finger injury. Unlucky for Henriques as he was starting to find some form with the ball. James Faulkner is a good replacement though. His slower ball bowling will add some more variety to Australia's bowling stocks and he would be an excellent bowler to bowl at the death. He performed well in the recent Twenty20 against Sri Lanka. Good luck to him and I hope he does well if selected to play.

Finch is still in the side despite not firing a shot in the Australian team this summer. May as well give him the last 2-3 games but if he wastes them he should be shelved for a while.

Time for Shaun Marsh to be welcomed back into the team, in great form and a much better player than Finch who is really a much less talented David Warner clone.

Yeah, absolutely. Marsh to open with Warner in my opinion. Finch not up to this level at the moment.

Squad for Champion's Trophy

Champions Trophy squad Michael Clarke (capt), George Bailey (vice-capt), David Warner, Shane Watson, Phillip Hughes, Adam Voges, Matthew Wade, Glenn Maxwell, Mitchell Marsh, James Faulkner, Xavier Doherty, Clint McKay, Mitchell Johnson, Mitchell Starc, Nathan Coulter-Nile.

Looks alright or at least like a solid team. We'll be very lucky to win. It feels like too many all-rounders but I guess you can say Mitch Marsh is a batsman for this format as he has the stats to back it up.

Starting 11 for first match would be

Watson, Warner, Hughes, Clarke, Bailey, Wade, Maxwell, Faulkner, Starc, McKay, Doherty

I don't like Wade in the top 6, but they've picked so many all-rounders they are bound to play three of them at once as I can't see them wanting to bowl Watson for 10 overs. I don't like Warner as an opener, he's got an awful lot to prove with an average of 30 thus far in his ODI career. I suppose Johnson could jump into Faulkner's spot. Unfortunately, Maxwell is the only spin allrounder so he's probably going to at least start the tournament.

Not a bad squad I guess, good to see Mitch Marsh and Coulter-Nile being given berths in the squad, hopefully they will play at some point. I would have liked to have seen Shaun Marsh in there but not to be at the moment.

Well we have the run into the world cup coming at home so where is the team to go if they are to challenge seriously. My first move is to release Clarke and leave him and his back to test cricket. A balance needs to be found and they need to settle soon if they are to settle a team for 18 months time. Thinking;

Watson (if he can find form)
Hughes (had an excellent summer last year)
Bailey (c)
Marsh. M
Henriqes
Warner (Fire power lower in the order)
Maxwell
Wade
Falkner
Stark (clearly a better ODI player)
McKay

Looking at the current playing group say - Coultar-Nile, Agar, Bird, Finch, Doolan, Maddinson, Paine
Clearly things will develop a bit over the 18 months but look mostly for youth so Paine could go if we have an up and coming keeper.

That's a fairly young team when you throw in those six into the mix. In my opinion the squad needs a few older heads, particularly batting wise.

Watson, Hughes, Warner and Bailey can hardly be called young anymore. They have all played enough ODI to be settled and senior players. The other point is we are still 18 months out and solid work from here in to build might just see them pull together and perform. Of course they need to work without the constant threat that they will be chopped and changed at the drop of a hat.

Hughes is still somewhat young in my opinion but I was more referring to the additional selections and a few others you had in your initial 11.

A squad of Hughes, M Marsh, Henriques, Faulkner, Starc, Coulter-Nile, Agar, Bird, Doolan and Maddinson is fairly youthful. Maddinson will be a jet though, killing it against South Africa "A" at the moment.

Interesting, Fawad Ahmed into the ODI squad against the Poms, with Australia's obsession with wrist spinners I suppose they want to have a look at him as a potential Test player.

Michael Clarke (ODI capt), George Bailey (T20 capt), Fawad Ahmed, Nathan Coulter-Nile, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, Josh Hazlewood, Phillip Hughes, Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Clint McKay, Steven Smith, Mitchell Starc, Adam Voges, Matthew Wade (wk), David Warner, Shane Watson.

What a ridiculous move. The selectors play a kid who has a couple of shield matches under his belt, but Lehmann refuses to play a guy who is 31 y.o and has a decade of first class cricket under his belt and is the best leg spinner by a mile according to Lehmans Shield skipper. Our spinning stocks have been ordinary for the past 7 years and now we have a genuine leg spinner the selectors decide to let the Poms have a good look at him in the one day matches. Why not just just play him in the final Test or better still keep him for the Test series in Oz? No doubt the Poms will be told to go after him in the ODI series. The decision making by all concerned beggars belief.

It seems to defy logic to take Ahmed over for the ODi's but nothing the selectors do at the moment is a surprise really. The situation with constant change has lead nowhere but one does have to wonder if the selectors need to be put under the pressure they seem to exert on the young players. My question is why is Border not the coach or selector? does he not want to do it.

The 14 man Australian squad for the first 3 games against England.

Michael Clarke c
George Bailey vc
Nathan Coulter-Nile
Xavier Doherty
James Faulkner
Aaron Finch
Brad Haddin wk
Mitchell Johnson
Shaun Marsh
Glenn Maxwell
Clint McKay
James Pattinson