• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Pakistan in Australia

I actually really like this game. The first innings was the perfect example of how teams should bat, not all the T20 crap mentioned continuously and hacking all the way through. Get yourself set, make a good score at above a 70% strike rate, then set up a platform for a finisher at the end like Hussey. He was given the perfect opportunity, and also gives me another argument to move White up the order. Very good batting from Marsh, exceptional from Clarke and even better from Hussey. I don't care if it seemed a little boring, it is the way to do it and the score proves it. If you get someone like Watson, Ponting or White to make an impact somewhere that score could have been 300+ easily, but not needed.

Also the first game McKay has impressed me. He has actually bowled to a plan and not released pressure every over, looks more mature than his other state teammate. Yes he's been getting wickets but they were mostly at the fault of batsman and luck. Now he actually is bowling well to a set idea and plan. Well done to him.

Harris has also bowled exceptionally well. From my count should have 4 wickets and I haven't watched all of it. He's nothing special but you will get that from him every match. Good back up, but still Hopes should have been ahead of him, domestic and international he is a better bowler and batsman.

The first innings was fine. Since tea... well, Australia is getting the job done, but it's hardly a contest. What's more, since the first wicket fell, Pakistan haven't even looked like they're interested in trying to make it one.

The tennis, on the other hand, is nothing short of incredible. :D

Caesar;386049 said:
The first innings was fine. Since tea... well, Australia is getting the job done, but it's hardly a contest. What's more, since the first wicket fell, Pakistan haven't even looked like they're interested in trying to make it one.

The tennis, on the other hand, is nothing short of incredible. :D

Yes, I see your point. But unfortunately that is tennis, and this is cricket, so not a fair contest :p

How is that from Harris? Glad to have an import like him.

I thought the game was alright, still reckon cutting ODIs back to 40 overs would make them better.

Going to be hard to select out of Hauritz, Johnson, Siddle, McKay, Harris and Bollinger.

I would rest Hauritz for a match and bring Johnson in while resting Siddle for another week. Can't drop Harris after tonight.

Kram81;386053 said:
I thought the game was alright, still reckon cutting ODIs back to 40 overs would make them better.

This is for another thread, but simply no! 50 is perfect as it allows everyone an involvement.

One advantage cricket has over tennis is it doesnt see the top players always getting injured every time they look like losing a game

Australia is the best ODI team by far, I actually think this team has the potential, at full strength, of being the greatest ODI team we have ever produced.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386070 said:
Australia is the best ODI team by far, I actually think this team has the potential, at full strength, of being the greatest ODI team we have ever produced.

You overrate Australia a lot.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386074 said:
Maybe I do, but they are a very good team who maybe lack the genuine stars of the previous teams but they find a way of winning.

They find a way of winning because they're playing against a side that looks like it's just learned of the game of cricket. Sure Pakistan are meant to be a good one day side, but they lack consistency.

When we dominate against a good ODI team I'll agree with you.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386078 said:
Have you been watching us in the ODI arena, we played India before this series, won the CT trophy and hammered England.

And this time last year we were destroyed by South Africa. I'm more of the opinion other teams are struggling rather than us excelling.

Squad has been announced for the final two one-day matches. Shane Watson and Doug Bollinger have been sent home to rest while Mitch Johnson returns for the final two games in Perth. Ryan Harris has been retained after his Man of the Match performance at the Adelaide Oval.

Aus Squad (4th and 5th ODI): *Ricky Ponting, Michael Clarke (vc), +Brad Haddin, Ryan Harris, Nathan Hauritz, James Hopes, Michael Hussey, Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Marsh, Clint McKay, Peter Siddle, Adam Voges, Cameron White.

Mitchell Johnson returns for Perth ODIs | Cricket News | Australia v Pakistan 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Watson not playing means either one of Hopes or Voges will play at Perth, perhaps both will play one game each. Hopes would be the favourite though to take Watson's spot due to his more profound all-round abilities.

Caesar;386049 said:
What's more, since the first wicket fell, Pakistan haven't even looked like they're interested in trying to make it one.

I disagree - Butt was going along fine, and Khan was just starting to find his feet. Then Butt fell and everything fell apart after that.

As for the referrals - like the commentators were saying, all it needs is for the 3rd umpire to step in and tell the umpire "I'm overturning that decision because it was pitched 2 metres outside leg stump - have a nice day".

Voges is probably just around as cover, I cant see them playing Voges in Watson place and basically requiring 20 overs of spin at the WACA

a for effort;386133 said:
What does Cosgrove have to do to get a game?

(Don't say lose weight)

If any South Australian deserves a game it would be Klinger (*fresh from 124 opening against NSW), also he can run the 100m in less than 30 seconds.

A straight swap for Watson would've been nice.

Hopes is mediocre at both bowling and batting but because he can do both then I suspect he will get picked to replace Watson.

Bailey, Hodge and Steve Smith should also play before Hopes in my humble opinion. They are all currently in form. Whereas Hopes batted 20 overs in a T-20 and scored < 50.

Good to see they kept Ryan Harris in the squad, might be time for Siddle to find some form and take a few wickets back on the Domestic scene.

Back