Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Pakistan in Australia

eddiesmith;386469 said:
Wicketless and failed with the bat, the perfect bits and pieces player, may as well just bring Johnson in for Hopes next game

And we are selecting only one of his 68 games as a reference point? He bowled with good economy and came close on a number of occasions against the only slightly set pair with which he bowled to.

Also his batting wasn't an overall failure, any score above 10, as long as its not under a 100% strike rate is good at that stage, but he should have gone longer anyway.

I'm not saying he performed well this game, but cut him some slack.

Also I think you missed that he dropped a chance as well :D

Harris impressed me tonight, some very good solid pace bowling and surely now Harris deserves to stake a claim for being a bit more then a fill in bowler. It makes sense in this day and age to rotate our pacemen through ODI's continously.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386480 said:
Harris impressed me tonight, some very good solid pace bowling and surely now Harris deserves to stake a claim for being a bit more then a fill in bowler. It makes sense in this day and age to rotate our pacemen through ODI's continously.

That is a good point, why settle with say 4 bowlers and someone as back up? Why not have 8 on the go at all times which allows all the bowlers (especially Test bowlers) to rest up over the seemingly infinitesimal amount of games? If we play bowlers for that many games they will have to retire earlier and much more injury prone. Should manage them better, but how could you 'rest' a bowler after they get a 5fa for example (not Harris now, just in general)?

Boris;386474 said:
And we are selecting only one of his 68 games as a reference point? He bowled with good economy and came close on a number of occasions against the only slightly set pair with which he bowled to.

Also his batting wasn't an overall failure, any score above 10, as long as its not under a 100% strike rate is good at that stage, but he should have gone longer anyway.

I'm not saying he performed well this game, but cut him some slack.

Also I think you missed that he dropped a chance as well :D
Didnt catch any of the Pakistan innings but it doesnt suprise me :D

But hey you are only as good as your last game and well you have to go back a while to find the last time that Hopes had a good game, will be lucky to survive untill the World Cup

On form he is the obvious choice to drop for Johnson as Hauritz showed that they dont need Hopes batting anymore because he is better than him and Johnson is far superior, I would rate McKay ahead of Hopes recent batting efforts as well

eddiesmith;386482 said:
Didnt catch any of the Pakistan innings but it doesnt suprise me :D

But hey you are only as good as your last game and well you have to go back a while to find the last time that Hopes had a good game, will be lucky to survive untill the World Cup

On form he is the obvious choice to drop for Johnson as Hauritz showed that they dont need Hopes batting anymore because he is better than him and Johnson is far superior, I would rate McKay ahead of Hopes recent batting efforts as well

You can't say either of those are better than Hopes with the bat. Hopes can open the batting, and with success. He has done it before, and the last time he did he scored 74 from 71 balls against Pakistan in the UAE. He has also been used as a pinch hitter before, plonking him up in the order for fast runs when it doesn't matter if he gets out or not.

Hauritz and McKay are tailenders, they may perform sometimes but you can't rely on them, much like Johnson. If you told Hauritz he needed a 50 next game I doubt he could get anywhere near it. Very applaudable efforts from him today, but we can't count on that being there everytime, whereas you can from Hopes (as much as any batsman anyway). Plus his bowling wasn't bad either. Siddle leaked runs constantly and the only time he looked as good as everyone else was when he got his two wickets in three balls, then went back to looking good while everyone else in the team was exceptional. He was a stand out and for the wrong reasons. I'm not trying to Siddle bash here, just saying if you are dropping someone on form he should have been gone the first match of this series.

Also don't pay attention to Hauritz's figures economy wise, his numbers have been Afridied and therefore become irrelevant, when you have Afridi come in to score 29 from 9 balls you would think someone copped it, and you don't have a choice when he does. Hauritz has good figures otherwise.

Boris;386481 said:
That is a good point, why settle with say 4 bowlers and someone as back up? Why not have 8 on the go at all times which allows all the bowlers (especially Test bowlers) to rest up over the seemingly infinitesimal amount of games? If we play bowlers for that many games they will have to retire earlier and much more injury prone. Should manage them better, but how could you 'rest' a bowler after they get a 5fa for example (not Harris now, just in general)?

It also keeps spots up for grabs, Siddle's ODI performances so far are moderate at best, this Harris lad has come into the scene and picked up to 5 wicket hauls. He deserves to be considered for future honours, not just flying in to cover a guy who is feeling a bit tired.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;386484 said:
Does Hopes play IPL?

Not too certain, but I know he has played IPL games before, but perhaps not full time, more or less when he's in the area :D.

Boris;386466 said:
I said earlier that I never saw him coming, a few posts ago. He is one of those quiet achievers that just slugs away and gets back with results. Never really thought of him as much, more a failed all rounder that was reduced to bowling some handy seamers, but not much more. I have actually been proven wrong with these performances.

If he gets a five-for in the next match he equals the record set by Wasim Akram for most in a row, be interesting to see if he can back up his claims so far or if he disappears into the distance.

What I was saying though is that a youngster should always make a good impression first up, blasting out of the blocks, before settling down and playing 'normally'. Now we get to see if his 'normal' is good enough because there isn't a way he can be dropped now one would think.

He's not a youngster he's 30. Nonetheless I'm very impressed and should be retained in the side ahead of Siddle IMO.

breeno;386490 said:
He's not a youngster he's 30. Nonetheless I'm very impressed and should be retained in the side ahead of Siddle IMO.

Youngster as in has played less than 20 ODIs. Inexperienced maybe a better word. Who cares that he's 30? It doesn't matter if you get 3 years or 10 out of anyone, it's better than getting none out of a good player, you have to pick who is best for the situation. Anyway unnecessary tangent for another thread.

I think the time has come for us to continually rotate the fast bowlers through, just keep rolling them through because no matter what people say about the fact we may be in decline our first class system still produces more talent then any other country in the world.

Siddle, Bollinger, Johnson, Hilfenhaus, Lee, Harris, McKay all would have serious claims of playing in our best ODI team at full fitness and for us that is a massive plus.

The reason we produce these cricketers is because of our pitches, for mine that is the main reason.

Boris;386491 said:
Youngster as in has played less than 20 ODIs. Inexperienced maybe a better word. Who cares that he's 30? It doesn't matter if you get 3 years or 10 out of anyone, it's better than getting none out of a good player, you have to pick who is best for the situation. Anyway unnecessary tangent for another thread.

I never said there was anything wrong with his age, was just suggesting you shouldn't be bandying around the term youngster like you have been supporting him this whole way.

I said I was impressed with him did I not?

breeno;386523 said:
I never said there was anything wrong with his age, was just suggesting you shouldn't be bandying around the term youngster like you have been supporting him this whole way.

I said I was impressed with him did I not?

Should have been a paragraph in there - it was a tangent for another thread and day. Just difference in opinion.

But back on track, it's a great performance and he has to back it up.

Boris;386534 said:
Should have been a paragraph in there - it was a tangent for another thread and day. Just difference in opinion.

But back on track, it's a great performance and he has to back it up.

I'm agreeing with you. *facepalm*. You took my saying he wasn't young as in me saying that I don't want old guys in the team!

breeno;386558 said:
I'm agreeing with you. *facepalm*. You took my saying he wasn't young as in me saying that I don't want old guys in the team!

I have a tendency to confuse, you know that! :p

I was breaking off on two tangents, I just know your philosophy on young players, and don't quite agree, but respect it.

On the other hand I know you were agreeing with me, but I wasn't arguing that point.

Probably better to move on...

People are heaping crap on Pakistan but I think they are better then many people think, a 5-0 whitewash would be a magnificent effort for this team and would send a shot out around the world to other teams who think we are past it.

They are a shocking team, they have no leadership, no capable batsman of getting in and making a big score, they all play for themselves and their bowling attack is average

England will thump them later this year

Back