• Australia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Pakistan in Australia

I really struggle how you can describe any batsmen who is half decent as a slogger.

Afridi is the true definition of a slugger, someone who is looking to predominately deal in 4's or 6's as well as hitting out from ball one without even trying to establish himself at the crease.

All of our batsmen are capable of building an innings in the traditional way.

Of course any batsmen can go the 'slog' when they need to but for mine the term 'slogger' is used as a negative when describing a batsmen.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387088 said:
I really struggle how you can describe any batsmen who is half decent as a slogger.

Afridi is the true definition of a slugger, someone who is looking to predominately deal in 4's or 6's as well as hitting out from ball one without even trying to establish himself at the crease.

All of our batsmen are capable of building an innings in the traditional way.

Of course any batsmen can go the 'slog' when they need to but for mine the term 'slogger' is used as a negative when describing a batsmen.

You are messing up your definition with mine. A slogger, under my definition, is not a bad batsman. A hacker on the other hand is what you say a slogger is. I like to add a 'mid-ground' to give recognition to a batsman who can put it over the ropes time and time again without using stupid techniques and gets out doing it. Gilchrist for example is a great example of a slogger - under my definition.

Slugging is a baseball term and has not much relevance to cricket, SR is the closest thing cricket has to a slugging percentage. Cricket has half the stats of baseball, therefore the two shouldn't be confused.

This is only MY definition. I explained it to you guys hoping to show there is a middle ground where big hitting is acceptable in all forms of the game when it is done properly.

Let's not get carried away with it.

I would definately call Haddin a slogger especially these days, or even a hacker under Boris terms, any player who comes in when the team is in the shit and tries to hit the ball out of the park from his 1st ball definately falls into that category and Haddin did it a few times this summer

The real key to being a good player is being able to turn it on and off from one form to the other, often in T20 it can just require a slogging/hacking innings or even late in an ODI, but to realise its not appropriate in tests unless declaration batting and being able to adapt is vital for a player to not be labelled a limited overs speciallist

Paul Collingwood I think is very underrated because he can go from one extreme to the other

I thought it was alright, Tait was the main show IMO. Having Clarke batting at number 3 in your T20 isn't the right option in that format and I can't see that being a raging success.

LIONS then DAYLIGHT;387471 said:
Thoughts on Clarke's captaincy?

Should be Thoughts on Clarke's horrible batting technique for 20-20 and why he is still getting a game?

D.K;387477 said:
Should be Thoughts on Clarke's horrible batting technique for 20-20 and why he is still getting a game?

Don't have to be a dirty slogger to be a successful T20 player.

Having a strike rate above 105 though is required and he struggles there, then again not as bad as Haddin who's strike rate is below 100

Clarke would be okay if he didn't clog up the early overs. Needs to be moved down the order if he's to stay in the team.

I'm sure we could all list a dozen players more suited to 20/20 than Clarke is, but while the T20 captaincy is still considered a warm-up for the ODI and Test captaincy (both of which Clarke is the deserved successor for), it's going to be him leading the side, rightly so or not.

Back