South A and B 2010/2011

Hey foolish youth. Have your xmas break-up a week or two earlier. Put your Q back in the rack and cool your heels before you have a coronary.

Think you'd find that the majority, if not ALL clubs, would have their xmas break-up EVERY year on the last weekend of play before xmas. That the whole point of a xmas break up - to have it as close to xmas as possible, when it's the last time club members see each other before the break. Why not just have it in Nov Dingo?... Pretty silly oversight on the VT's part. It'd be safe to assume they didn't canvass the opinion of clubs about the scheduling of a reserve day or, as suggested here, the possible arrangment of a date between the 2 clubs (worked well for the T20 comp).

Anyway, back the cricket itself - any standout performances today?

Hey foolish youth. Have your xmas break-up a week or two earlier. Put your Q back in the rack and cool your heels before you have a coronary.
Hardly think my quotes were cause for concern for my health... But changing a function date 2 weeks earlier for 11 people sounds a bit selfish... I guess we will all have to put the Christmas spirit into our play! Ho Ho Ho!

Personally I am not that fussed about playing in a one day competition or a two day competition. I just struggle to see the logic in playing a 4 day Grand Final when the longest games we play are 3 two day games.

And then we have one day games which are not even limited overs like every one day game played in the country. No field restrictions, no bowler limitations, no leg side wides - just seems a bit half ar$ed

And then we have bonus points, which create more problems than they cure - including this paranoia about fixing games in the final two rounds and causing bad natured cricket to be played for 10 overs when everybody just wants to get in and have a drink
Forgive me for my ranting - I have played 1 week in 7 and am starting to go a little loopy:D

R'n'B - I totally agree with your points about 1 day games in VTCA re restrictions etc......take the Carnegie v Parkdale game....80 overs bowled....40 bowled by 2 blokes....turn it up....do we want VTCA clubs chasing spinners from the sub-continent who bat a bit to win them every 1 day game!?!?

VTCA = 2 champion players can beat a champion team! But why change with the time hey Sledge!?

R'n'B - I totally agree with your points about 1 day games in VTCA re restrictions etc......take the Carnegie v Parkdale game....80 overs bowled....40 bowled by 2 blokes....turn it up....do we want VTCA clubs chasing spinners from the sub-continent who bat a bit to win them every 1 day game!?!?

VTCA = 2 champion players can beat a champion team! But why change with the time hey Sledge!?

Yeah - Depth doesnt need to be a super priority under current conditions. Just fork out the big bucks for the guys who can bowl darts for 18 overs!!!! And then bowl every ball down the leg side when you are defending 120!!!!!

Totally agree with that and it should be changed, at least to a maximum 12 overs. But why pick on the bowlers, should batsman have to retire at a certain score, that will never happen.

No retirements.....having 4 capable bowlers needs to be the priority, as well as fielding restrictions, and fair calls for wides...batters in these grades generally struggle to bat that long anyway. On wides, what's with the extreme difference in our 20/20 games where any ball down leg is now a wide....it's tighter than Premier cricket! But hey at least it's a defined rule...I guess that's something.
Since we have a quorum here on Bigcricket (between 3 of us anyway), maybe it's time to lobby the VTCA. I will certainly be looking for a new comp next year if the same rules continue.

As someone new to the comp there are some good things in the VTCA, but enough things that leave me shaking my head. The one day rules are one of them, the finals format is another, and the bonus points is another.

I have played at another local comp which has had limited over conditions - coloured clothing (from any supplier;)), fielding restrictions, white ball, leg side wides, bowling restrictions for a dozen years.

I'm going to have to join the chorus of people calling for fielding and bowling restrictions for the one dayers. I'm not sure if it's something the vtca have ever put up for a vote, but i'd be pretty confident the majority would want it.
As far as guys bowling 20 overs for an innings and teams only using 3 bowlers, i think it's short sighted approach. Most local 1st X1s are filled up with guys who consider themselves allrounders, so that leaves 3 or 4 blokes dirty they haven't bowled. Not to mention the fact your going to need alot more than 3 bowlers in a 4 day grand final!

i believe they are both in Glen Eira council, which by the way have the best grounds out of any council. The grounds in Kingston and Bayside are a disgrace, however they are starting to change them to warm season grasses, it takes time and if only they spent the money 5-10 years ago similar to what Glen Eira council did they would all be in good shape.

Back