South A and B 2010/2011

Whats up with that Sledge. I must admit I thought we were no chance on Thursday, but we were lucky on Friday that the rain was 3 kms away but not at our ground. Had the 4mm in 10 min that hit Moorabbin Airport hit us, we probably would have been off as well. But there was only one game off in South A, and the others didnt seem too affected by the weather

I mainly meant South B, the storm went around most of the South. I reckon alot of clubs would have been the same as yours on the Thursday, but with the heat on Friday and Saturday morning they should have dried out.

Do I sense a 2 dayer tomorrow - amazing!!
Dingley vs Aspendale - Dingley went close last week, and I tip they will get it done this week. Some talented young players in that side
Carnegie vs Murrumbeena - Which side has the greatest depth. Carnegie were smashed last week, Murrumbeena beaten after giving up 14 more overs. They will need to bat longer than 33 this week to win - I will go with Murrumbeena
Heatherton vs Parkdale - Parkdale should be too strong.
Bonbeach Tangy vs Hampton - Hampton are in good form. BT lost to Carnegie by over 100 runs, who lost to Hampton by 50. Form lines say Hampton

STOP PRESS - MAKE UP DAY FOR ROUND 1 MAKE UP DAY scheduled for NEWS YEARS DAY, VTCA are exploring all options to get round 1 played...surely not...lol

how ironic that most of todays make up games were abandoned due to the wet weather, a huge relief for all players nursing hangovers from their clubs festive celebrations last night, and what about the result from the Heatherton/Parkdale game played yesterday, 1st week no pitch as roller broke down, 2nd week outfield under water but somehow Parkdale are claiming the points...some interesting times ahead in the world of the VTCA....

Surely not PC??? Vtca aren't that silly! Or are they?
How do parkdale get the points?? Looks like Hampton are the side to beat... Gee the Beena have scooted up the ladder!

Good one ParkCricket. Yep - looked like fish and chips on a stomach full of grog was the order of the day.
Maybe we should play 5 overs a night, twice a week for the next four weeks. We would have rd 1 over in no time

Surely not PC??? Vtca aren't that silly! Or are they?
How do parkdale get the points?? Looks like Hampton are the side to beat... Gee the Beena have scooted up the ladder!

A few of points on the Heatherton/Parkdale Match for those interested:
1. Pitch was dry, marked and cut on the first day.
2. Depending on who was asked at Heatherton, the roller broke down on Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday morning.
3. Parkdale players were in the middle of their warm-up when the Heatherton skipper advised the umpires and the Parkdale skipper that Heatherton was not prepared to play due to the state of the wicket.

Make of that what you will it's the VTCA who will have the final say, from Parkdale's perspective we were ready and willing to play on a dry day, on a dry wicket. So make no mistake we missed out on points and want 'em. Can understand Heatherton were in a position with the roller breaking down, however would expect that it would be repaired and the wicket rolled at some point during the week, that's the home teams' responsibility.

A few of points on the Heatherton/Parkdale Match for those interested:
1. Pitch was dry, marked and cut on the first day.
2. Depending on who was asked at Heatherton, the roller broke down on Tuesday, Thursday or Saturday morning.
3. Parkdale players were in the middle of their warm-up when the Heatherton skipper advised the umpires and the Parkdale skipper that Heatherton was not prepared to play due to the state of the wicket.

Make of that what you will it's the VTCA who will have the final say, from Parkdale's perspective we were ready and willing to play on a dry day, on a dry wicket. So make no mistake we missed out on points and want 'em. Can understand Heatherton were in a position with the roller breaking down, however would expect that it would be repaired and the wicket rolled at some point during the week, that's the home teams' responsibility.

Dales - what was the issue on the second week? Can you claim the full six points when the probability of no play and therefore a draw on the second week was reasonably high
I can understand where you are coming from, but what is the difference from when we played Aspendale and rain got under the covers. Their responsiblity to put them on right I would have thought. It is an unfortuante situation when a lower side thinks getting 3 points off a top side is better than playing. Although with bonus points you would have to have a pretty ordinary game to not get 3 points!!!

Dales - what was the issue on the second week? Can you claim the full six points when the probability of no play and therefore a draw on the second week was reasonably high
I can understand where you are coming from, but what is the difference from when we played Aspendale and rain got under the covers. Their responsiblity to put them on right I would have thought. It is an unfortuante situation when a lower side thinks getting 3 points off a top side is better than playing. Although with bonus points you would have to have a pretty ordinary game to not get 3 points!!!

I have to say that the post was to just to provide an insight as to what we're up against; haven't played all summer turn up to a marked, cut and hell it looked rolled to us wicket, only to have their skipper shake his head and say nup we're not playing. What do you want us to do? If it was rain affected and you couldn't play I can understand you POV but ************ me- we're not playing first class cricket and just want to play. If it hadn't been prepared- possibly a phone call on Friday night to say - sorry boys we've had problems and the wicket's not ready- but nup, we turn up, warm up and the home team doesn't feel like a hit. Sorry, why do we as a club miss out on points here?

I have no problem with what you are saying - and agree with you to a large extent. Could (and should) it have been handled differently. Absolutely. But when there is an umpire there who is ultimately resposnbile for whether play goes ahead - it should be a case of the umpire saying yes, and then playing under protest. If the umpire says no, then it is a no.
I just dont see how the points can be awarded as anything other than a draw - unless the home team were complicit in the game not going ahead. If they were, then take the maximum as far as I am concerned

I have no problem with what you are saying - and agree with you to a large extent. Could (and should) it have been handled differently. Absolutely. But when there is an umpire there who is ultimately resposnbile for whether play goes ahead - it should be a case of the umpire saying yes, and then playing under protest. If the umpire says no, then it is a no.
I just dont see how the points can be awarded as anything other than a draw - unless the home team were complicit in the game not going ahead. If they were, then take the maximum as far as I am concerned

Yeah and that's the difficult issue isn't it, if you weren't there it's hard to understand why the home team captain decided not to play. I mean I was there and I find it difficult to understand, The Umpires basically left it in the hands of the Captains, Parkdale Skipper said yes let's play, Heatherton Skipper said no unsafe.
You get a week to prepare a pitch, the roller breaks down you get it fixed, it's not rocket science. The square is dry, lines marked, pitch is marked and lets be straight here- it had been rolled. You don't get to say, "Not up for a hit today - sorry".

We
Yeah and that's the difficult issue isn't it, if you weren't there it's hard to understand why the home team captain decided not to play. I mean I was there and I find it difficult to understand, The Umpires basically left it in the hands of the Captains, Parkdale Skipper said yes let's play, Heatherton Skipper said no unsafe.
You get a week to prepare a pitch, the roller breaks down you get it fixed, it's not rocket science. The square is dry, lines marked, pitch is marked and lets be straight here- it had been rolled. You don't get to say, "Not up for a hit today - sorry".

Well my understanding is that if 1 skipper says lets play and the other says no thanks, and there is an umpire present, then the decision to play or not is the umpires??

Once again - no problem with what you are saying. But (and correct me if I am wrong) the umpire is the one who has to make the decision if the captains are in disagreement. Either he thinks it is unsafe and there will be no play, or he says it is safe and play will be starting at 1:00

We

Well my understanding is that if 1 skipper says lets play and the other says no thanks, and there is an umpire present, then the decision to play or not is the umpires??

Yep and we have no issue with that, but I think we're entitled to ask why the wicket, having been cut, marked and rolled wasn't fit to be played on. And if deemed to be unfit to be played why not. Talking to their curator -after he took the carbie cover off, found mud and water in it, removed the mud and water, refitted the cover- started the roller. Why wasn't this done the week before play? Home team, your responsibility to provide ground and pitch prepared for play???

some interesting sum of events, surely if the pitch had been marked up etc, the curator obviously thought the pitch was fit and ready for play, irespect of what the captains and umpires thought...
takes me back to a 1st XI game many years ago when we turned up the 2nd week at Parkdale United on a dry summers day only to find a vb carton out on the pitch which read ' Curator advises no play today ' there had been a little bit of overnight drizzle, no way enough to wash out the day, however both umpires quite quickly called play off. Not to mention that we were close to victory coming into the 2nd week. it was a joke at the time because everyone knew that the pitch was playable, should we of claimed the points?? would hate to miss finals by a couple of points...

This doesn't add up... Surely the ump has to earn his $110 and take control! I say heatherton should be penalized or the ump be stood down...
How does a wicket get cut marked and allegedly rolled then no play?
Parkdale req answers!

Having said all that, would like to thank the Bonbeach Tangy boys for their fantastic efforts in ensuring a match was played on Sunday, 27 overs each on the best track I've played on all season! Justified my hangover by ensuring the wicket remained dry and ready to play after the weather rolled over. Good form with jugs o'draught after game for the opposition- swings and roundabouts hey!!

From my understanding the curator was not the one who cut and marked the wicket on the saturday it was the presedent who did so without consultation with the curator,the roller broke down on thursday afternoon on the way out to the wicket and the vtca were notified on friday morning that there could be a problem, phone calls were made to get a loan roller and a machanic to fix the roller.The wicket had not been rolled since tuesday,and with wet weather on the wednesday/thursday morning and no rolling on the wicket since tuesday thats why the captain said that it was unsafe and he then left it to the umpires,who then made the call not to play, the roller was then fixed on the sunday,the carbi was full of rust and had choked up the fuel lines and all had to be cleaned out.The wicket was not the only problem either there was parts of the ground that were water logged ie the front of the pavillion where council had done some work earlier in the year and now the water wont drain away. lets not forget the umpires made the call not to play!

This doesn't add up... Surely the ump has to earn his $110 and take control! I say heatherton should be penalized or the ump be stood down...
How does a wicket get cut marked and allegedly rolled then no play?
Parkdale req answers!

What are you going to do Qball - organise a march to VCTA house and demand answers. It could be bigger than Wikileaks.
But I still agree with you - the options are Heatherton are penalised or the umpire is stood down. Or they say the ump thought it unplayable and there couldnt be any play (whether he made that decision or not)

Back