South Africa in Australia

Re: South Africa in Australia

Some poor shot selection in the game by Australia. Hussey, Symonds, Ponting all going for shots they didn't need to play/weren't really there. Clarke and Symonds did similar things in the first innings as did Haddin who was out to a wide ball well outside off stump.

The South African bowlers haven't impressed me all that much, the Australian media have grossly overrated and overhyped the South African attack. Steyn has been solid but hasn't been insanely spectacular, Harris has bowled well but a lot of his wickets have been the result of errant shot selection (Ponting and Symonds today, Clarke and Symonds again on day one), Morkel is still developing but from what I've seen hasn't been much of a threat. Only Ntini has done anything of importance in my opinion, his first innings bowling was quite good and really gave South Africa the upper hand early. Kallis was good on day three but was ordinary in the first innings.

Has this game been a true indication of where both teams are at? I don't think it has but the next two days will tell us as will the rest of the series. Australia will want to get a lead of at least 400, just to really get that psychological edge over the Proteas. If they can start well in the morning session they should go alright as Krejza, Johnson and Siddle can be pretty handy batters, in particular Krejza who played well at the end of the day.

The big difference in this match though might be the tail-end batting. Australia's tail scored exactly 100 runs in their first effort whilst South Africa could manage only 14. That's an 86-run margin, almost all of Australia's lead and almost of all it has come from the likes of Lee, Krejza, Johnson and Siddle. Australia's bowlers are not only winning the game with the ball but also the bat and again they've come to the rescue after the top order once again failed to really do anything of note on what has been a decent wicket to bat on, that should be slightly worrying. Hayden is just about gone now to be honest.

Good game so far, set to get even better on day four.

Very important first session today, if Haddin and Krejza can push the lead first up to and over 350 and then towards 400 it will make it difficult for South Africa. Also have Johnson who plays shots and scores quickly.

South Africa on the other hand need wickets, and quickly. Must keep the lead to around 350, can NOT let it get to 400.

Biggie;296503 said:
Come again?

He isnt the same bowler he was 12 months ago. Movement is non-existent, pace has dropped significantly and isn't being thrown the ball like Ponting use to. Understandable it is very hard to bowl in India, NZ had one good session against the NZ and did nothing against teh Safs first innings. Too old and not enough variation = done.

D.K;296558 said:
He isnt the same bowler he was 12 months ago. Movement is non-existent, pace has dropped significantly and isn't being thrown the ball like Ponting use to. Understandable it is very hard to bowl in India, NZ had one good session against the NZ and did nothing against teh Safs first innings. Too old and not enough variation = done.

My uncle and I were talking about him last night and we both agreed upon what you said. He just hasn't got any venom any more, and isn't our strike bowler.

People will say this scrutiny is because Johnson had one good session and now people think he's a better strike bowler than Lee, but to be honest I've thinking about this for a while.

He's my favourite ever bowler but unless he gets either some venom back in his bowling or turns into a line and length bowler, I believe it won't be long before he is done:(

Yep. Totally agreed. I think he's been done for a while.

Also he hasn't got it in him to change, develop some good change, slower balls, cutters. He's been a fast bowler and he lost that and so is finished.

Krejza was dismissed by yet another spectacular catch from De Villiers. Kallis ws the bowler.

241/8 a lead of 335

Johnson goes for a big drive off Morkel but can only Kallis at second slip.

9/278, lead is 372. Haddin on 59 with Siddle the last man in.

Gee it's very handy for Australia having such a strong tail. Will probably win the game for us.

300 up for Australia. Lead is 394 now, Haddin on 77, Siddle on 2.

Haddin dispatches Harris for two consecutive sixes down the ground and then smashes him for four! 9/319, lead is now well over 400 and Haddin is 94 not out.

Edit: All over, Haddin gone for 94 to Harris trying to reach 100, he was stumped by Boucher. Australia's lead is 413 so South Africa will need 414 to win the game.

Very well batted by Haddin. He, Krejza, Johnson and Siddle have extended the lead by 157 after they were in big trouble early on. Australia will take 319 after collapsing again, the tail have played an integral part in all four days of this match so far.

That's also the lunch break. South Africa require 414 runs to win with a minimum of 158 overs remaining (Required Rate = 2.62 rpo).

Great innings that was, pity he didn't get his 100. Ahh well, I don't think SAf will reach 414.

We should be safe but with SAf. having a top six of Mckenzie, Smith, Amla, Kallis, De Villiers and Duminy (Ashwell Prince would have been very handy), they are more than capable of making the runs, they need Kallis, Smith, Amla and De Villiers to do the majority of the scoring.

Back