South Division 2012/13

The comments I always here from guys in their late teens and early 20's is that they stop playing cricket because they can't stand the long afternoons in the outfield. There are other factors of course, like the races and the beach, but that's the general message.

Can't understand why we still only play 2 one-day games. Surely there should be more one-day cricket? Surely we want to make it easier to attract/retain younger players?

Cricket has changed since the 1980's, why hasn't the VTCA?

In my opinion - the season should be split 50/50 with one-day games and two-day games. Best of both worlds. More games.

Any thoughts?

Not a bad call Don'tbowlthere! I recall when I played premier cricket around 7 years ago that we played about 6 saturday/sunday games which is very tough no matter how much you love your cricket. Its a huge commitment and basically takes away your whole weekend. Fast forward to this premier season and the fixture is a lot more generous. 90 over days for a start but also a good split of different formats. 7 two dayers, 6 one dayers and 6 T20s. More leagues should look at this.

I know you will a few posters on here saying we dont want to follow premier cricket blah, blah, blah but it makes sense for so many reasons having similar playing conditions to that of the top grade in this state.

I think in a few years there could actually be 20/20 leagues popping up due to the popularity of this version of the game but also because of youngsters being lost to the game.

The comments I always here from guys in their late teens and early 20's is that they stop playing cricket because they can't stand the long afternoons in the outfield. There are other factors of course, like the races and the beach, but that's the general message.

Can't understand why we still only play 2 one-day games. Surely there should be more one-day cricket? Surely we want to make it easier to attract/retain younger players?

Cricket has changed since the 1980's, why hasn't the VTCA?

In my opinion - the season should be split 50/50 with one-day games and two-day games. Best of both worlds. More games.

Any thoughts?

VTCA implemented 7 one day games and 7 two day games a few seasons ago and yet it was howled down by the delegates of clubs, saying they wanted to protect two day cricket. I'm not sure if that was an adequate representation of the views of all in each club or just the older traditionalists. I agree partipation has fallen in juniors and that is not flowing through to seniors. But the massive hole is when they hit 18+ and find other more exciting things to do. Cricket can't compete when we require a full saturday time committment.

For many years premier cricket used the same system of using club delegates to inform them of what the clubs/players thought and wanted from the competition. But no matter what they were doing they kept on hearing the people werent happy... So at the end of the 2009/10 season they sent every player/delegate/supporter/umpire/groundsman/scorer etc. a survey asking everything from start times, overs per day, fixture set up blah blah and got a true representation of what people thought..

Surely with facebook/email/websites the VTCA could do the same thing.. Cause lets be honest how many delegates still play and how many are probably only relaying their own thoughts?.. I think we should all be giving the opportunity to have a voice after all isnt that what being Australian is all about??

VTCA implemented 7 one day games and 7 two day games a few seasons ago and yet it was howled down by the delegates of clubs, saying they wanted to protect two day cricket. I'm not sure if that was an adequate representation of the views of all in each club or just the older traditionalists. I agree partipation has fallen in juniors and that is not flowing through to seniors. But the massive hole is when they hit 18+ and find other more exciting things to do. Cricket can't compete when we require a full saturday time committment.
I don't think the issue was with the format, but the details needed tinkering. Playing the two day games first made no sense- looks like that may change this year. Biggest issue we found was it wasn't aligned with the lower grades. It meant if we had an injury in the the first one dayer of a two week block, we had to bring in a player from below our 4th XI to play, as our 3s and 4s were already playing in a game

VTCA South A is set to have 7 one days and then 7 x 2 day games because of the departing clubs. The only reason that clubs howled previously was that the back end of the season was all one day games and the front end was washed out every second week which meant more one day games. The VTCA have advised that with the 7 one day matches, the bulk of them will be played in the front half of the season.

South C1 and C3 look to have 14 teams each.. C1 to open with 6 onedayers followed by the two dayers, C3 all onedayers, with such big divisions maybe a top 6 or 8 would be the way to go otherwise teams could be out of the finals race pretty early in the season..??

Good idea but how do they structure the finals as you'd need extra weeks to fit them in... Take games away from the regular season?? Which would be easy in c3 as they are all 1 day games maybe a 2 day grand final in c1 to fit it in? Vtca are very reluctant for change though...

Good idea but how do they structure the finals as you'd need extra weeks to fit them in... Take games away from the regular season?? Which would be easy in c3 as they are all 1 day games maybe a 2 day grand final in c1 to fit it in? Vtca are very reluctant for change though...
maybe reduce the grand final to a 2day final rather than 4 buying u an extra weekend? Oneday comp easy they have 20 rounds wouldnt miss one less...

Any news on Grounds ? are we going to get a start this weekend??

Tips for this round
Port Melbourne - look more than a 1 man batting line up this year with some pretty handy recruits
Parkdale - should be too strong for MP now that they lost travis.
BD - played some pretty solid cricket last year on that awful ground of theres.
Going with Chelsea - pretty sad to see they only have one side this year but there 1's are always there abouts.
Chelt - not sure why

I can confirm that we (mckinnon) have put our 3rdXI in the south seconds division this season so there will no longer be a bye..
The 3s won every game last yr and should be able to handle the step up..

That's good news hopefully for your 3s sake they are competitive otherwise it'll be a long year. Good to see there is no bye now though

I can confirm that we (mckinnon) have put our 3rdXI in the south seconds division this season so there will no longer be a bye..
The 3s won every game last yr and should be able to handle the step up..
And pulled out your Sunday team, not good form when there was only 6 teams in it

Presumably with McKinnon's 3rd XI playing in South Seconds there will be now be a bye in South C1? The fixture for that grade has not been released as yet, which does seem to be leaving things a little late...

Presumably with McKinnon's 3rd XI playing in South Seconds there will be now be a bye in South C1? The fixture for that grade has not been released as yet, which does seem to be leaving things a little late...

I think there were a couple of clubs pull out of c1 hence the lateness of the draw for that grade it's meant to be finalised tonight

Is anybody else mystified as to how they can’t get a wicket ready with the conditions we have had. Another beautiful day, which it has been for the last two weeks (apart from GF day which only had 1mm of rain). We’ll enjoy a centre wicket practise session tomorrow, which will be great, but probably infuriate our players just a little bit more!!!

Is anybody else mystified as to how they can’t get a wicket ready with the conditions we have had. Another beautiful day, which it has been for the last two weeks (apart from GF day which only had 1mm of rain). We’ll enjoy a centre wicket practise session tomorrow, which will be great, but probably infuriate our players just a little bit more!!!

How good has your ground come up?? Don't drive past anymore

Back