Here's my SE thoughts for those interested:

Oakleigh to beat Croydon
Elsternwick to beat Ormond
Noble to be Bayswater
Caulfield to beat Box Hill
Kinston Saints to beat Brighton
Malvern to beat Mount Waverly
Moorabbin to beat Endeavour Hills

Did the powers that be stuff up last week calling off play too early?,what will they do tomorrow I wonder?

11 of the 14 clubs charged with giving wet weather advice to the exceutive reported at 7.30 last Saturday that their grounds were not playable. There is no doubt the directive should have been to report to grounds, but the Exec's hands are tied if clubs don't want to play.
To say that Premier officials were aghast with the decision is an understatement. If clubs are serious about playing, get covers down on Thursday after training when the weather looks dicey.

That being said nobody enjoys interrupted days play, hopefully this is the last week that weather is even a consideration.

Unbelievable turn of events this week. There is going to be no rain on friday or saturday and there might be a full days play across all four elevens, incredible stuff.

Unbelievable turn of events this week. There is going to be no rain on friday or saturday and there might be a full days play across all four elevens, incredible stuff.
I'll believe it when I see it! Ha

But seriously here's hoping! YWL when are Willy going to join the Twitter revolution? Brighton, Ormond, Caulfield, Mount, Melton, Oakleigh getting involved and it is great sharing scores and club news.

All others clubs, come on! Create an official club twitter account, and one of your own, follow @SubbiesCricket and remmeber to use #subbiescricket.

Kew is off to a "flyer" with 2 big wins in the first 2 games. Their Premier recruits have had an immediate impact. Ben Waterman has now taken bags of 7 & 5 and Sheehan, after a "first baller" last week has weighed in with 59 this week.

Also the T20 is less than 2 weeks away. It will be interesting to see if the Oaks go with their usual"ring in" err, sorry, "guest player". You would reckon that such a strong club could manage to scrape together 11 of their own to make up a side. There are whispers of other clubs who are also looking to go down that path and I fear that, if, the prize money increases, this terrific concept will become an "arms" race. And please don't trot out the usual "their appearances help our young players." We have already had one Premier palyer who has played with two different clubs in 2 years. He must be very keen to "help our young players."

Kew is off to a "flyer" with 2 big wins in the first 2 games. Their Premier recruits have had an immediate impact. Ben Waterman has now taken bags of 7 & 5 and Sheehan, after a "first baller" last week has weighed in with 59 this week.

Also the T20 is less than 2 weeks away. It will be interesting to see if the Oaks go with their usual"ring in" err, sorry, "guest player". You would reckon that such a strong club could manage to scrape together 11 of their own to make up a side. There are whispers of other clubs who are also looking to go down that path and I fear that, if, the prize money increases, this terrific concept will become an "arms" race. And please don't trot out the usual "their appearances help our young players." We have already had one Premier palyer who has played with two different clubs in 2 years. He must be very keen to "help our young players."
If we are going to pay 'guest' players, get rid of the 20/20 competition full stop!

We had a couple of guest players last year at Kingston, one being Scott Boland. Only problem was with his Vic contract, wasn't allowed to bowl!!!!

Easy, big fella!!!! Just take a step back. The simple solution is to make the T20 for club registered players only, OR, Alernatively make it open slather, if that's the way they want to go, but the clubs need to be up front about it.

My own thoughts on "ring ins", err, apolgies again, "guest players" are, that they add NOTHING to the competition, and besides, Premier Cricket has their own comp. As far as your "guest players" are concerned, if you are going to approach State contracted players, to prop up your team, DO YOUR HOMEWORK,. Why do you think the Oaks swapped Tormey for Maxwell in the final, yep, that's right, he got a rookie contact late in the season with the Vics.

Understand the 'guest' philosophy, however, I agree that we should just use your registered players. I have played these and the old 'Twilight' games in VTCA, very good for having a hit, especially early in the season. Also gives you an opportunity to blood some younger guys with some players not able to get to re work.

Probably shows that we haven't taken super seriously in the past, as Scotty is a mate of the boys who play footy at Parkdale and just wanted to play with his mates. Can I suggest some clubs are paying 'guests' and, if so, does this fall within the professional player rules.

I'll believe it when I see it! Ha

But seriously here's hoping! YWL when are Willy going to join the Twitter revolution? Brighton, Ormond, Caulfield, Mount, Melton, Oakleigh getting involved and it is great sharing scores and club news.

All others clubs, come on! Create an official club twitter account, and one of your own, follow @SubbiesCricket and remmeber to use #subbiescricket.

I made an account at the end of last season for the finals and posted a couple of scores but have forgotten the password lol.

Understand the 'guest' philosophy, however, I agree that we should just use your registered players. I have played these and the old 'Twilight' games in VTCA, very good for having a hit, especially early in the season. Also gives you an opportunity to blood some younger guys with some players not able to get to re work.

Probably shows that we haven't taken super seriously in the past, as Scotty is a mate of the boys who play footy at Parkdale and just wanted to play with his mates. Can I suggest some clubs are paying 'guests' and, if so, does this fall within the professional player rules.

I think that the guest player option is a good one as it can keep clubs in contact with former players who have moved on and keep that relationship with him strong as the club hopes to bring them back after premier cricket.

Another side of it is that if you can get a high profile guest player it can bring more people through the gate, I remember a couple of season's back that Lindsay Gilbee played with us and we had a huge crowd there to watch and plenty went over the bar.

However paying players to play in these matches is wrong because as other people in the forum have said it is a fantastic opportunity to blood young players and give them a good taste of what first XI cricket is all about.

Hey Super - you guys are looking good so far, well done. Without going into too much detail, whats the go with your PNG recruits...how did you find them / get on to the program? Are they here the whole season? And who do they stay with?

I notice all the players seem to be doing quite well, there's quite a few in the VTCA performing well in the first few rounds.

Thanks North, certainly a lot better than last season, although disappointing on Saturday, at 1/60 should have won that game!

Re PNG boys, I'm pretty sure anyone can take them. Basically the clubs needs to pay for their Visa out (about $600) and put them up somewhere, PNG cricket pays $120 per week towards the cost. We've put them up in student type arrangement till Christmas, so its costing a little more than that, they are here for whole season, however, they play in a World Cup Qualifier in Dubai late March, so may miss last final if we get there. We've been lucky, we arranged for 2, a bowler and allrounder. The VC of the national team was going to Canberra but that fell through so we swapped him for the allrounder (he's a WK/batsman). Both of them are certainly at subbies standard and are good blokes, so there is a bit of a buzz aroound the place.

VTCA boys look good and have also fitted in really well. We just need to try and keep some of the younger guys who have dropped off over the last couple of years so that hacks like me can drop down!!!!

It has been great to see some former subbie players going well. Peter Handscomb and Evan Gulbis have both made their first class debuts over the last few weeks.

Agreed YWL,the more graduants the better.I wont comment on the midweek 20/20 games other than to say they're totally unnecessary and a CWOT[complete waste of time].
Down to business,great weather in the offing at last,selections are;
Plenty Valley v Melton-how manys this on the trot,someone from Melton can fill us in,PV not a bad side but wont worry the lions.
Yarra v Willy-could be an ok game ,Sheeds got some against Harwood and co.last week so that could be ominous for Eagles.
Balwyn v Preston-the home sides batting in good form early so Balwyn for me.
Ivanhoe v Brunswick-both sides looking for there 1st win,afraid the home sides record not good of recent times so the visitors for me.
Altona v Sunshine-Altona dont appear as strong as in previous years but will still be too good for the opposition,not sure how many games the Crows have won over the last few seasons but you could count them on one hand.
Broady v Werribee-too close to call,both sides on the improve,whoever wins the toss and bats will probably win,maybe Werribee.
Coburg v Kew-match of the round in N/W,the visitors look a legitimate challenger for Melton and might have too much firepower for the ever consistent Burgers.
Should be a good day for a quiet one in the sun,good luck to all.
Super Saint,over to you.

For the South East Group-
Oakleigh vs Ormond- Oakleigh seem to have started the season well, and I think are still the best team from the East Group. Lots of new players for Ormond, and some young guys pushing through but don't think they'll get near Oakleigh.
Moorabbin v Elsternwick- Tough one to pick but I'll have to go for the visitors. Moorabbin can beat anyone if Pradeep fires, but backing Elsternwick in this one.
Bayswater v Croydon- No idea here, haven't seen either of these teams for 3 years and both currently 1-1. Tipping the home team
Box Hill v Noble Park-Similarly to above I don't really have a clue here. Box Hill haven't started the year well begin 0-2, so will tip the visitors.
Brighton v Caulfield- Top of the table clash, both sides sitting at 2-0. Should be a ripper game at the Beach Oval and tipping Brighton in an upset.
Malvern v Kingston- The Roosters should be too good at home. Looking at their side I don't think its as dangerous as it has been in recent years, but they still have 2 or 3 class quicks, and arguably the best spinner in the comp. Had a look at Kingston last week and they've definitely improved on 2010/11. Bowling still a tad weak for the Saints but their batting, particularly their openers looked the goods.
Endeavour Hills v Mt Waverley- Tipping the Hills at home. Not sure whether either of these teams will be pushing for the top 6 this season.

The 2011/12 VSDCA Intergroup Challenge Squads have been announced on twitter. 59 players from twenty-six teams, all the big names picked to play.
See @SubbiesCricket on twitter for the full list.

Some interesting results on the weekend, both Premiers from last year defeated. Good to see some different names at the top of the leader board!!

Some interesting results on the weekend, both Premiers from last year defeated. Good to see some different names at the top of the leader board!!

Yep fantastic to get 2 weekends of cricket in, both played in fantastic conditions. Some huge team scores for the round. Kingston beating Malvern proved they will be a better side than they have been over the past 3-4 years, first time the Roosters have ever lost to the Saints. Caulfield knocked up 375 at Brighton, and Elsty seem to have added some depth to their squad.

A Saturday/Sunday game this weekend and after four completed rounds the ladder should be beginning to take shape.

Back