Subbies 2011/12

Some interesting results on the weekend, both Premiers from last year defeated. Good to see some different names at the top of the leader board!!

Spot on with the interesting results. Would love to know the last time that Melton lost 3 out of 4 games for the round. Kew looking extremely strong in the west.

Spot on with the interesting results. Would love to know the last time that Melton lost 3 out of 4 games for the round. Kew looking extremely strong in the west.

Can I presume that Kew were one of the teams to vote no for the points cap? And how many development coaches can a club have?

Can I presume that Kew were one of the teams to vote no for the points cap? And how many development coaches can a club have?
Yep they seem to have picked up a few over the past 2 or 3 seasons for sure. Not sure how strictly rules on the amount of pros/coaches/development coaches are enforced. Surely there are more than a couple of clubs out there where a bit of money changes hands? Probably a good thing for the strength of the competition though.
I know the VTCA have used the 'points' system for a while now, they seem to have more international players/ pros than the VSDCA too. I like the idea, would reward the clubs with strong junior programs that develop their own players.

Yep they seem to have picked up a few over the past 2 or 3 seasons for sure. Not sure how strictly rules on the amount of pros/coaches/development coaches are enforced. Surely there are more than a couple of clubs out there where a bit of money changes hands? Probably a good thing for the strength of the competition though.
I know the VTCA have used the 'points' system for a while now, they seem to have more international players/ pros than the VSDCA too. I like the idea, would reward the clubs with strong junior programs that develop their own players.
I think we still have a pretty good balance. There is no doubt that the standard has been improved by the influx of Premier players over the last few years. That in turn has closed the gap in standard for our young players going to Premier cricket and, hopefully, beyond.

It has been my experience, that especially the senior players, who have had successful Premier careers, bring plenty to our comp in both attitude and the willingness to work with the emerging youngsters at our clubs.

Good on Kew for having a "crack".I don't see their name on the Premiership honour roll too often and it shows what can be done by hard working clubs who are desperate for some on field success. I suggested pre season that the Lions may not have things all their own way this year in their group and ,although I still believe that they are the team to beat, Plenty Valley showed us last week that they are certainly not unbeatable.

I think we still have a pretty good balance. There is no doubt that the standard has been improved by the influx of Premier players over the last few years. That in turn has closed the gap in standard for our young players going to Premier cricket and, hopefully, beyond.

It has been my experience, that especially the senior players, who have had successful Premier careers, bring plenty to our comp in both attitude and the willingness to work with the emerging youngsters at our clubs.

Good on Kew for having a "crack".I don't see their name on the Premiership honour roll too often and it shows what can be done by hard working clubs who are desperate for some on field success. I suggested pre season that the Lions may not have things all their own way this year in their group and ,although I still believe that they are the team to beat, Plenty Valley showed us last week that they are certainly not unbeatable.
S&W, I'd certainly agree. I know at the Sainst we have worked on plenty of District players, however, it is hard work. Amazingly, travel from inner city suburbs has been a factor for us. That being said, I think picking up a few sound recruits can be better than the big recruit, I'm sure Malvern didn't win it when Craig was playing there. Caulfield are the masters of luring players down there, maybe its the culture, something teams like ourselves need to figure out.

S&W, I'd certainly agree. I know at the Sainst we have worked on plenty of District players, however, it is hard work. Amazingly, travel from inner city suburbs has been a factor for us. That being said, I think picking up a few sound recruits can be better than the big recruit, I'm sure Malvern didn't win it when Craig was playing there. Caulfield are the masters of luring players down there, maybe its the culture, something teams like ourselves need to figure out.
It takes time!!. You have to develop relationships with players who have played at your club and have gone to Premier cricket, or "land" a good player who, in turn, will " talk up" your club to other players. If you try to go for the "big money" recruit, too often it ends in tears (mainly for the club, rarely for the player). The "good bloke" pre prequisite cannot be over stated. You will, find over time, that the "money thing" is not the overriding consideration for a lot of top players considering the move.

That being said, it looks like you guys are on the right track, and more importantly have the desire and determination to improve. Good luck.

Exactly. As a committee, we certainly look at building our club's brand. We believe this is the best way to attarct quality, however, success is crucial in selling the story. The guys we have picked up have been great and the PNG boys have been excellent. I, for one, was sceptical, but they are fantastic and can play. Hopefully this year our success issues are remedied in some way!

Exactly. As a committee, we certainly look at building our club's brand. We believe this is the best way to attarct quality, however, success is crucial in selling the story. The guys we have picked up have been great and the PNG boys have been excellent. I, for one, was sceptical, but they are fantastic and can play. Hopefully this year our success issues are remedied in some way!

How many O/S players have you got in your fisrt xi?

ill jump into this.......it definately comes down to culture and who can handle the heat in the kitchen when its game on.....obviously great leaders is what clubs need to have.....ive just recently returned to the comp and from my previous stint imo as a premiership player(i love it) at some point it will be your turn to stand up.......and some teams just dont have the cattle when the team is under pressure to stand up and fight......i know when my club is under pressure there is an aura that others cant match.......win from any position.......

ala melton over the last 5 years........who have set the standard......why great leaders in charge......

Ok, let's try and pick this week's winners in the South:

Elsternwick v Oakleigh: Tough to pick, both going OK. Probably Elsternwick at home
Ormond v Bayswater: Ormond in a lot of trouble, can't see them winning here
Croydon v Box Hill: Again, should be a good contest, maybe Box Hill as it is at the City Oval
Noble Park v Brighton: Kids plus extras at Brighton look OK despite Caulfield mauling, Noble rely on Edmunds Snr, Brighton
Caulfield v Malvern: Form says Caulfield, however, they always have trouble with the Roosters. Malvern in an upset!
Kingston Saints v Endeavour Hills: Saints to win, although will miss Fenton
Mt Waverley v Moorabbin: Great effort by Moorabbin last week chasing a huge total, Binners to open their account

Here are my tips:
Elsternwick to beat Oakleigh at home. Elsty seem to have a good balance at the moment with 4 or 5 good quicks and a reasonable batting line up.
Bayswater to beat Ormond. Not sure if Bayswater are any good or not, but looks like another poor year for the Monders.
No idea in the Box Hill vs Croydon game. Box Hill probably.
Brighton to beat Noble Park. Although the Tonners chased a lot of leather last week, 5/250 in the second dig suggests they'll bat ok this year.
Caulfield to beat Malvern easily in this one. Caulfield only strengthened by the return of Damiano. Malvern coming off a home loss to the Saints this week.
Kingston to beat E.Hills. They look like the great improvers from the South group. The two poms bat well and the PNG boys look handy. 4 overseas players make a big differen
Pradeep to beat Mt Waverley.

Brighton look strong - McDonald starting to hit big form with runs last weekend & on Tuesday night. Kingston also big improvers, the 4 overseas players is good for this season - hope for their sake they are bringing some kids through the twos . If the o/s boys dont come back, will be tough to replicate.

Noticed Damiano named - whats the deal there? Thought he was at Frabkston?

From what I heard he wasn't happy at Frankston and got transferred during the week. Drops Baldry, who's a fairly good player down to their 2's. Brighton have started pretty well and are looking for their first finals appearance in a while. Have lost a few bowlers from last season but the batting seems a bit tighter.
Kingston are still pretty weak through the 2s and 3s in my view, but I think strengthening the 1s is the best place to start.

Back