Subbies 2011/12

Some interesting results Saturday. Caulfield keep on rolling on, with the New Zealander getting 4 on debut. I'd be interested for someone to tell me how he ended up at Caulfield without being paid.
Singh debuted against Ormond in the T20 last Sunday. Some talk that he was meant to play for Sth Caulfield in the VTCA, but the taxi must have taken him to the wrong ground. Just wants to play with his mates.

Some interesting results Saturday. Caulfield keep on rolling on, with the New Zealander getting 4 on debut. I'd be interested for someone to tell me how he ended up at Caulfield without being paid.

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and would like to know why you blokes believe that all the top sides are paying everyone?? Have you ever thought that good clubs attract good people and in most cases good players??? Before you start crowing about where i am from, i can tell you that i am not affiliated with any subbies club but do follow the competition and yes i have watched Caulfield play but i have also seen many other games.

Nothing against you Super Saint but i can imagine you don't know what it is like to be involved with a successful club as the Saints have struggled since being in the competition so therefore wouldn't understand why it is these top clubs can find good players.

In regards to Puppeteer i too heard he was meant to play in the VTCA but things fell through apparently. I heard he is a mate with a few St Kilda players but didn't want to play Premier cricket and i have heard that St Kilda and Caulfield have a pretty close relationship.

Anyway i always enjoy the banter although alot of you blokes are hung up about other teams being better then your own teams. Don't write Brighton off either they appear to be travelling quite well!!!

I have been reading this forum for quite some time now and would like to know why you blokes believe that all the top sides are paying everyone?? Have you ever thought that good clubs attract good people and in most cases good players??? Before you start crowing about where i am from, i can tell you that i am not affiliated with any subbies club but do follow the competition and yes i have watched Caulfield play but i have also seen many other games.

Nothing against you Super Saint but i can imagine you don't know what it is like to be involved with a successful club as the Saints have struggled since being in the competition so therefore wouldn't understand why it is these top clubs can find good players.

In regards to Puppeteer i too heard he was meant to play in the VTCA but things fell through apparently. I heard he is a mate with a few St Kilda players but didn't want to play Premier cricket and i have heard that St Kilda and Caulfield have a pretty close relationship.

Anyway i always enjoy the banter although alot of you blokes are hung up about other teams being better then your own teams. Don't write Brighton off either they appear to be travelling quite well!!!
Fred, thanks for your input and welcome aboard. That's as nice as it gets!

Thanks for your summary of the Kingston Saints. Obviously we played nowhere else prior to Subbies. I can 'imagine' you know zip about us so, just for your info, we were a successful team in VTCA going from South B to Senior division, so we have some idea about success. Subbies is certainly a step up, and we continue to strive to improve. Again not sure if you have held any senior position at a cricket club, there are many issues we face in our geographical area but, again, this is something we need to deal with. FYI, we have a pretty good relationship with St Kilda, again, I'll explain that if you have no idea!

Whilst I have no issue in relation players wanting to play at good clubs, it doesn't work for all. Why would you leave your junior club where you're being paid good money to 'play with good blokes'. Makes no sense!

Finally, in relation to be 'hung up' about other teams being better than our own teams, of course we are, we're all striving to be the best team in the comp and would imagine we would all do whatever we could to get there. I'm not sure where you play cricket, but I obviously wouldn't know much about them as they obviously play in some pokey Sunday league!

Thanks for your summary of the Kingston Saints. Obviously we played nowhere else prior to Subbies. I can 'imagine' you know zip about us so, just for your info, we were a successful team in VTCA going from South B to Senior division, so we have some idea about success. Subbies is certainly a step up, and we continue to strive to improve. Again not sure if you have held any senior position at a cricket club, there are many issues we face in our geographical area but, again, this is something we need to deal with. FYI, we have a pretty good relationship with St Kilda, again, I'll explain that if you have no idea!

Whilst I have no issue in relation players wanting to play at good clubs, it doesn't work for all. Why would you leave your junior club where you're being paid good money to 'play with good blokes'. Makes no sense!

Finally, in relation to be 'hung up' about other teams being better than our own teams, of course we are, we're all striving to be the best team in the comp and would imagine we would all do whatever we could to get there. I'm not sure where you play cricket, but I obviously wouldn't know much about them as they obviously play in some pokey Sunday league!

Your right i'm sorry i don't know alot about your club but congratulations for your success in the VTCA. Am i right to say that you have been in the VSDCA for about 10 years? Your due success so i wish all the best for that. I hope the ever likeable Entwistle can assist with that but i hope his target is to win more then 5 games for the year which is a feat i don't think you guys have done!!! I do truly hope you go well though for Phil McNamara's sake as he IS a good bloke and i know he works pretty hard down there.

I'm not quite sure who you are referring to regarding the player who played at his junior club and then played elsewhere to play with good blokes. You might have to shed some light on that.

If you guys are close to St Kilda why didn't you get the heads up about Singh?

Good response, SS. Everyone on this forum knows what you have given to your club, both on and off the ground and you don't need to defend yourself against some muppett "who watches Caulfield AND some other games." Perhaps Freddy could get out and have a crack himself, or are there too many players "who want to play for a good club" in front of him?

They seem a bit thin skinned the Caulfield faithfull and they have a propoganda machine that would make Goebels blush. Nevertheless they are a good bunch of guys and every club has the option of matching it with them. They seem a mile clear of the opposition at this stage.

Your right i'm sorry i don't know alot about your club but congratulations for your success in the VTCA. Am i right to say that you have been in the VSDCA for about 10 years? Your due success so i wish all the best for that. I hope the ever likeable Entwistle can assist with that but i hope his target is to win more then 5 games for the year which is a feat i don't think you guys have done!!! I do truly hope you go well though for Phil McNamara's sake as he IS a good bloke and i know he works pretty hard down there.

I'm not quite sure who you are referring to regarding the player who played at his junior club and then played elsewhere to play with good blokes. You might have to shed some light on that.

If you guys are close to St Kilda why didn't you get the heads up about Singh?
Freddy, there was a bit of 'tongue in cheek' and you obviously don't have a great handle on Subbies cricket, so I'll spell it out:
- Target is always to play finals, Whis has been great this year, so hopefully we are heading in the right direction, something I think Saturday's performance points to;
- You obviously don't know Phil O'Meara too well, if you don't know his surname!
- Adrian Jones coached the Saints prior to taking up the position at St Kilda. We talked with Adam Warren when he retired from Premier about capatin coaching but he chose Caulfield and I have absolutely no issue with this. Obviously Singh played with guys he knew at St Kilda, not at St Kilda;
- I'll leave it to you to work out who I was referring to with the 'good bloke' comment. Go through the Caulfield team and see if you can pick him out.

If you pull out the driver, you would want to hit it well!

Calm down guys, it's good to see a new face around here taking an interest in Subbies cricket. It appears that Fred might be a littl off the mark with some of his observations, but that's fine - make him welcome and he might have something meaningful to add.
SS and S&W we know you guys work hard for your clubs, no one is denying that, and blokes like you make this comp what it is, but casual observers are important as well.

One thing I've learnt along the road is that things are always very different at different clubs, despite seemingly similar challenges.

Calm down guys, it's good to see a new face around here taking an interest in Subbies cricket. It appears that Fred might be a littl off the mark with some of his observations, but that's fine - make him welcome and he might have something meaningful to add.
SS and S&W we know you guys work hard for your clubs, no one is denying that, and blokes like you make this comp what it is, but casual observers are important as well.

One thing I've learnt along the road is that things are always very different at different clubs, despite seemingly similar challenges.
Yes, Fred was a bit off the mark, but his comments are welcome, you're right B&G, we want all types commenting and adding to the forum, don't take it too persoannly Fred. Just don't get Philly O's name wrong again!

And one other quick one, it's not about what I do, plenty of others do a heap in this comp/at their clubs, our 'payment' is ultimately the success of our 1st XI.

Freddy, there was a bit of 'tongue in cheek' and you obviously don't have a great handle on Subbies cricket, so I'll spell it out:
- Target is always to play finals, Whis has been great this year, so hopefully we are heading in the right direction, something I think Saturday's performance points to;
- You obviously don't know Phil O'Meara too well, if you don't know his surname!
- Adrian Jones coached the Saints prior to taking up the position at St Kilda. We talked with Adam Warren when he retired from Premier about capatin coaching but he chose Caulfield and I have absolutely no issue with this. Obviously Singh played with guys he knew at St Kilda, not at St Kilda;
- I'll leave it to you to work out who I was referring to with the 'good bloke' comment. Go through the Caulfield team and see if you can pick him out.

If you pull out the driver, you would want to hit it well!

Oh my apologies i didn't mean to 'pot' clubs because god forbid you blokes don't!!! Your right i don't have much of a handle on subbies as i have spent most of my time with Premier cricket but it appears subbies is increasingly becoming a strong competition so i am interested in it.

I forgot about Jonesy which was a bad miss on my behalf and definitely stuffed up with Phil O'Meara.

In regards to Don Bradman's comment (sorry short and wide's comment), my days of playing are well and truly over and i am sure there were many players in front of me around. All i wanted to know is why are the top clubs getting hammered in regards to player payments. I have no doubt that clubs pay a number of players they shouldn't but to assume that Singh must have went to Caulfield because he got paid is a joke. As i said i'm not affiliated with Caulfield Sir Don.

Oh my apologies i didn't mean to 'pot' clubs because god forbid you blokes don't!!! Your right i don't have much of a handle on subbies as i have spent most of my time with Premier cricket but it appears subbies is increasingly becoming a strong competition so i am interested in it.

I forgot about Jonesy which was a bad miss on my behalf and definitely stuffed up with Phil O'Meara.

In regards to Don Bradman's comment (sorry short and wide's comment), my days of playing are well and truly over and i am sure there were many players in front of me around. All i wanted to know is why are the top clubs getting hammered in regards to player payments. I have no doubt that clubs pay a number of players they shouldn't but to assume that Singh must have went to Caulfield because he got paid is a joke. As i said i'm not affiliated with Caulfield Sir Don.
One point I will make about Singh: I asked why he would be there unless he was paid. As you have pointed out, he has mates at the club. No issues.
Until a points system similar to Premier is in place, there will always be questions about who is paid and who isn't. The interest will be when, eventually, Subbies receives no dividend from CV. Are clubs relying on this to pay players?

As always, B &G OCC, the voice of reason. I also am pleased to see some new faces. For example, I thought Westland brought a really good perspective when he debuted last year.

BUT, unless you are on the executive, coaching panel or involved in funding raising at a club, you have NO IDEA about the machinations involved in recruiting, so PARLEESE, ease up on the "Good Club" recruiting policy.

It is insulting to clubs and club stalwarts like SS, by inferring that the reason they struggle at times, is no one wants to go there because, by inference, they are NOT GOOD CLUBS. I can still say that the best recruiting tool I have seen is money, it's not the be all and end all, your club culture is still important.

At least the stronger clubs "take the vow of silence" when monetary accusations are invariably thrown at them and I am not sure that they welcome "the good club" defence offered from outsiders.

I can say one thing, after competing in other leagues, Subbies is a fantastic competition and I don't think there is a 'No Good' club amongst the 28.

I also agree with Fred to some point that successful teams certainly find it easier to recruit qulaity players. The facilities are also a determining factor. I look at our facilities, I think our rooms are possibly the best in the comp, but the ground is probably the worst (a point that the Willy boys will attest to), and players don't play in the rooms (well, only a little bit).

It has been far too quiet on this forum, it has been great Fred has stimulated some banter!

Interesting banter chaps, lets talk the real business of Sat!
Saints to upset Williamstown, bit a of a shock given Willy were going so well. Super Saint you could prob answer this, was the deck rubbish? what happened?
Caulfield look as though they are primed for an outright result against a struggling Elsternwick,
Melton to belt Moorabbin
Werribee look home against Yarraville
Altona to take care of Broady
Ormond just continue to win albeit against Sunshine. Ormond amazingly only 2 games away from playing finals in god knows how long.
I cant pick a winner against the Roosters and Brighton, Roosters win looking to put a few wins together if they can pull this one out, but Brighton looking to hold onto second spot, mmmm Ill back the Roosters in here.

Interesting banter chaps, lets talk the real business of Sat!
Saints to upset Williamstown, bit a of a shock given Willy were going so well. Super Saint you could prob answer this, was the deck rubbish? what happened?
Caulfield look as though they are primed for an outright result against a struggling Elsternwick,
Melton to belt Moorabbin
Werribee look home against Yarraville
Altona to take care of Broady
Ormond just continue to win albeit against Sunshine. Ormond amazingly only 2 games away from playing finals in god knows how long.
I cant pick a winner against the Roosters and Brighton, Roosters win looking to put a few wins together if they can pull this one out, but Brighton looking to hold onto second spot, mmmm Ill back the Roosters in here.
Deck was slow and didn't have much bounce. That being said, 3 of the early wickets were bowled all yorkers from our Vanuatuan, beaten for pace. Sheedy probably should not have played, looked very dicey. Their keeper batted well, played straight. We then got to 2/88 off 22. You do have to work on the deck.

Deck was slow and didn't have much bounce. That being said, 3 of the early wickets were bowled all yorkers from our Vanuatuan, beaten for pace. Sheedy probably should not have played, looked very dicey. Their keeper batted well, played straight. We then got to 2/88 off 22. You do have to work on the deck.
Ahh ok no worries, yes ive heard its a tough place to score runs, is it the ground that you can see from the Napean Highway? Im not really familiar with that part of town.
Who are the contenders for you at this stage, Caulfield are the obvious favs at the moment, but after that its wide open. Ormond, Werribee, Brighton any chance?

No, we are down back from that ground. The pitch has been a bit ordinary, however, ground was lightning on Saturday being on an old tip, it is very ordinary. Next year we will be off as the council is redoing the whole ground, which is well and truly overdue! That being said, our bowlers bowled well on Saturday. Have been too short as a collective, were nice and full on Saturday.

Of the teams we played, I probably marked Melton on top of Caulfield. Ormond were OK and have improved significantly, they'll probably make it, although I'm not sure their batting is all that strong. We have Yarraville, Altona & Brighton next 3 games, so will have a better idea once we have finished that run.

No, we are down back from that ground. The pitch has been a bit ordinary, however, ground was lightning on Saturday being on an old tip, it is very ordinary. Next year we will be off as the council is redoing the whole ground, which is well and truly overdue! That being said, our bowlers bowled well on Saturday. Have been too short as a collective, were nice and full on Saturday.

Of the teams we played, I probably marked Melton on top of Caulfield. Ormond were OK and have improved significantly, they'll probably make it, although I'm not sure their batting is all that strong. We have Yarraville, Altona & Brighton next 3 games, so will have a better idea once we have finished that run.
Fair enough, Melton on top of Caulfield? Why is that? It will be interesting to see how they go with Harwood missing during the Big Bash.

Back