Subbies 2011/12

Some interesting results Saturday. Caulfield keep on rolling on, with the New Zealander getting 4 on debut. I'd be interested for someone to tell me how he ended up at Caulfield without being paid.

Haha, hilarious Super Saint. I'll tell you how the big fella ended up at Caulfield. He wasn't able to start the season at a premier side cause he had obligations back home and then St Kilda passed him on to Caulfield through the obvious ties between the clubs. No money needed just a bit of help with a job. Matter settled.

In terms of why people don't return to their junior club. Maybe they left on bad terms or thought they could further their cricket at another side or want to play with mates. I know this is the case with one particular current Caulfield player. As you will see with Ormond, who are going fantastically I might add and well done to them, Dale Christie came to the club and brought with him some mates from Hawthorn. I bet rumours will be floating around about guys like Mark Carroll, from the Hawks, being paid cause he has come back at the age of 23/24 from Premier cricket to play Subbies, however he has just come to play with mates and cricket that is a little more relaxed compared to Premier.

I know I'm rambling on but this money talk really shits me. Maybe you should meet the guys ur talking about and ask them if they are getting paid. I know most will be happy to honestly say they are not getting paid and playing at the club either because they want to play with mates or play cricket that is more relaxed.

Haha, hilarious Super Saint. I'll tell you how the big fella ended up at Caulfield. He wasn't able to start the season at a premier side cause he had obligations back home and then St Kilda passed him on to Caulfield through the obvious ties between the clubs. No money needed just a bit of help with a job. Matter settled.

In terms of why people don't return to their junior club. Maybe they left on bad terms or thought they could further their cricket at another side or want to play with mates. I know this is the case with one particular current Caulfield player. As you will see with Ormond, who are going fantastically I might add and well done to them, Dale Christie came to the club and brought with him some mates from Hawthorn. I bet rumours will be floating around about guys like Mark Carroll, from the Hawks, being paid cause he has come back at the age of 23/24 from Premier cricket to play Subbies, however he has just come to play with mates and cricket that is a little more relaxed compared to Premier.

I know I'm rambling on but this money talk really shits me. Maybe you should meet the guys ur talking about and ask them if they are getting paid. I know most will be happy to honestly say they are not getting paid and playing at the club either because they want to play with mates or play cricket that is more relaxed.
Thanks for the update Chachi. My question was about a guy who had no apparent ties to a club. You've explained it, no issues. It certainly occurs within the comp that good players come and play with mates, or to play more relaxed cricket.

Personally, I don't give a stuff about who is paid and who isn't. The sooner its open slather the better. Then the elephant in the room is well and truly out there. The sooner it happens, the sooner there is no speculation in regard to who gets dough and who doesn't.

Their bolwing was better, however, that was prior to Singh. Harwood not playing in the Big Bash.

And well done to Fred Winkle for getting onboard the chat. No idea who he is, but can stir up a little trouble. I must say his thoughts were quite humerous, regardless of whether i agree with them or not. Nothing wrong with making a few errors here and there. Probably some hack from Sunday cricket though. Haha. Obviously Kingston would have some connection with St Kilda seeing as though Jonesy is coaching there now and was recently with Kingston. And it will be good to have Kingston up and running with a new ground in the next couple of seasons to go with their very impressive rooms. Maybe then the club can attract some more good players to go with a good bunch of blokes.

And well done to Fred Winkle for getting onboard the chat. No idea who he is, but can stir up a little trouble. I must say his thoughts were quite humerous, regardless of whether i agree with them or not. Nothing wrong with making a few errors here and there. Probably some hack from Sunday cricket though. Haha. Obviously Kingston would have some connection with St Kilda seeing as though Jonesy is coaching there now and was recently with Kingston. And it will be good to have Kingston up and running with a new ground in the next couple of seasons to go with their very impressive rooms. Maybe then the club can attract some more good players to go with a good bunch of blokes.
The sooner that new ground is there, the better! We're on the right path, have no doubt about that, hopefully its not too wet and we can get the runs this week.

The sooner that new ground is there, the better! We're on the right path, have no doubt about that, hopefully its not too wet and we can get the runs this week.

Not sure what is worse, a glory hunter elbowing his way into a Premiership photo or a mercenary chasing cash. Points system for mine, there's a few too many good blokes, playing with too many good mates, at too many good clubs. If it walks like a duck...

BTW any update on Melton and PV going to Premier?

Busy weekend with a hit and giggle game for points thrown in,the Sth/West group looking more competitive than Nth/East with Oakleigh unbeaten although they only fell in against the bottom side in T20.
Caulfield still unbeaten after a convincing win against powerhouse Melton without the Allens.
Ormond still 3rd,Willy ominously up to 4th,Malvern finally on the board,while Kingston Saints continue to struggle and Sunshine occupy their usual spot.
Brighton,Yarra,Werribee all on the improve.
Hewat still dominating and I agree With YWL,would be leading Hatch medal right now,Sheedy putting some big scores together although I notice on twitter he may have a hammy?
Games this week;
Kingston v Willy-visitors should win even if Sheedy out?
Caulfield-Elst-never tip against Caulfield,Damiano on fire,they'll win again.
Sunshine v Ormond-would have been a toss up over the last few years,not so now with Ormond on the rise,the Crows must be a worry for the powers that be.
Melton v Moorabbin[Sri Lanka]-home side will be seething after rolling over against Caulfield and they'll win,Pradeep making his 11th ton will keep them honest though.
Werribee v Yarra-gee ,probably the match of the day,going with the Tigers superior batting to get the points.
RPB v Altona-no idea,maybe Altona at home.
Malvern v Brighton-visitors with all their recruits firing should get the points,
Cant wait till Saturday with some warm weather at last

Busy weekend with a hit and giggle game for points thrown in,the Sth/West group looking more competitive than Nth/East with Oakleigh unbeaten although they only fell in against the bottom side in T20.
Caulfield still unbeaten after a convincing win against powerhouse Melton without the Allens.
Ormond still 3rd,Willy ominously up to 4th,Malvern finally on the board,while Kingston Saints continue to struggle and Sunshine occupy their usual spot.
Brighton,Yarra,Werribee all on the improve.
Hewat still dominating and I agree With YWL,would be leading Hatch medal right now,Sheedy putting some big scores together although I notice on twitter he may have a hammy?
Games this week;
Kingston v Willy-visitors should win even if Sheedy out?
Caulfield-Elst-never tip against Caulfield,Damiano on fire,they'll win again.
Sunshine v Ormond-would have been a toss up over the last few years,not so now with Ormond on the rise,the Crows must be a worry for the powers that be.
Melton v Moorabbin[Sri Lanka]-home side will be seething after rolling over against Caulfield and they'll win,Pradeep making his 11th ton will keep them honest though.
Werribee v Yarra-gee ,probably the match of the day,going with the Tigers superior batting to get the points.
RPB v Altona-no idea,maybe Altona at home.
Malvern v Brighton-visitors with all their recruits firing should get the points,
Cant wait till Saturday with some warm weather at last

I have for some time been concerned about the Crows being uncompetitive and, a little over a year ago, I made the following comment in an email to the club's immediate past president, Geoff King: ' I sometimes wonder whether a 'one size fits all' cricket competition spanning such diverse social and demographic variables is an appropriate model in this day and age. There is ample evidence to show the VTCA has expanded greatly by the folding up of a number of one size fits all comps. it is now so large it offers many grades and a promotion/relegation system.
So, I put it to members that whilst all the bickering in recent posts about player payments is a relevant issue, there are other factors that need to be considered and, to date, do not appear to have been commented on.

I have for some time been concerned about the Crows being uncompetitive and, a little over a year ago, I made the following comment in an email to the club's immediate past president, Geoff King: ' I sometimes wonder whether a 'one size fits all' cricket competition spanning such diverse social and demographic variables is an appropriate model in this day and age. There is ample evidence to show the VTCA has expanded greatly by the folding up of a number of one size fits all comps. it is now so large it offers many grades and a promotion/relegation system.
So, I put it to members that whilst all the bickering in recent posts about player payments is a relevant issue, there are other factors that need to be considered and, to date, do not appear to have been commented on.
Certainly a good discussion point. It seems many clubs are struggling with a 4th XI. Is a 2 tier relegation/promotion system the answer? Maybe, but personally, I like playing against better teams, it certainly improves you as a player and a team!

Certainly a good discussion point. It seems many clubs are struggling with a 4th XI. Is a 2 tier relegation/promotion system the answer? Maybe, but personally, I like playing against better teams, it certainly improves you as a player and a team!
It is a concern that many clubs are struggling with their 4th X1. ( Sunshine's 4ths was last week dismissed for 37!) Fielding 4 turf teams is expensive and, when the dividend is phased out, a number of clubs may struggle to meet the financial commitment. Getting more critical mass, such as Broady has done, is an initiative other clubs may have to consider just to survive in a 4 team turf comp, let alone be competitive.

It is a concern that many clubs are struggling with their 4th X1. ( Sunshine's 4ths was last week dismissed for 37!) Fielding 4 turf teams is expensive and, when the dividend is phased out, a number of clubs may struggle to meet the financial commitment. Getting more critical mass, such as Broady has done, is an initiative other clubs may have to consider just to survive in a 4 team turf comp, let alone be competitive.

Croydon 4ths forfeited last week vs Moorabbin. Survival will rank ahead of competitiveness for many clubs going forward.

Croydon 4ths forfeited last week vs Moorabbin. Survival will rank ahead of competitiveness for many clubs going forward.
Will be interesting for teams chasing today. Torrential rain on Tues and extreme heat on Thurs means very limited preparation. Was a good toss to win last week and bat.

Read your post and agree with most of what you say westland,however i do challenge your un competitive comments about Sunshine although they are way down and have been on the points table for a few years. The firsts have for most times been xtra competitive in my opinion being very unlucky in many games against top opposition.I believe Troy Stone,and Andrew Webb who have given their all for Sunshine over the years could walk into most subbie clubs and be in the starting 11.THE 1STs just lack 1 or 2 players to be right up there, having said that the crows were in a position to pick up 1 or 2 overseas sponsored test players this year ,but due to some stupid decisions made by the committee they missed out.Also may I add that for the last 15 years the Juniors from Sunshine have been fantastic with quite a few juniors capable of playing top grade cricket but for some reason most dont go on and stay with the club.I await your thoughts my friend Westland.

Read your post and agree with most of what you say westland,however i do challenge your un competitive comments about Sunshine although they are way down and have been on the points table for a few years. The firsts have for most times been xtra competitive in my opinion being very unlucky in many games against top opposition.I believe Troy Stone,and Andrew Webb who have given their all for Sunshine over the years could walk into most subbie clubs and be in the starting 11.THE 1STs just lack 1 or 2 players to be right up there, having said that the crows were in a position to pick up 1 or 2 overseas sponsored test players this year ,but due to some stupid decisions made by the committee they missed out.Also may I add that for the last 15 years the Juniors from Sunshine have been fantastic with quite a few juniors capable of playing top grade cricket but for some reason most dont go on and stay with the club.I await your thoughts my friend Westland.

Maybe time to get rid of the toss. Watched 3 games today where the side batting were visiting and had no chance of winning. How about visiting team gets to decide week 1 and this would ensure optimum pitch and ground preparation week 2.

I admire the loyalty of players such as mentioned by bb and they deserve the utmost support of their club's executive. bb's comments suggest this may not be the case at Sunshine. As to a club being competitive, there is a perception a club is competitive if its most senior team has a successful track record. For example, in the VTCA the Yarraville Club C C is percieved to be competitive, but, scratch below the surface and you will find their lower open-age grades struggle. In the current season their lower grade teams collectively do not yet appear to have won a match. At least Sunshine can to date collectively claim one victory in their lower grades. There is no doubt YCCC have long had the resources to ensure their senior team is competitive, but the same cannot be said for Sunshine. It can be very hard to pull up your socks if you have none!

Thanks Chachi i'm glad i've been able to bring some humour to the discussion. It appears Kingston is up and running they had a good win over a pretty good side in Williamstown - it might be what they need to get going.
I have had a look at the Caulfield side for that player you were speaking about Super Saint and i could only see two players that would fit the bill - Pritchard and Bartlett but i can't see a problem with either one. Pritchard went there as Captain Coach i believe so that would be for a number of reasons - better opportunity, career change, new challenge, etc. He was getting paid then no doubt and Bartlett i believe went there to play with a good mate of his, Shaun Richardson. They played at Dandenong together and have been mates ever since. Bartlett is getting on now and looks like he has lost it so he probably wanted to play with Richardson before he gives it away. Bartlett's fitness doesn't look that crash hot either!!! Could do with a run around the lake a few times!!!
As for Short and Wide i know first hand what it is like to be part of a club's committee and the running of one. Its bloody hard work and not for one second was i having a go at Super Saint personally. I haven't read many of your posts but i would bet my left knacker that you have potted a club at some point.
Anyway for the record Chachi your right i do play Sundays but it is no different for when i play on Saturdays - i guess you can call me the weekend hack!!!
Just about at the half way point with the subbies and the bottom half of the six is wide open. Can Ormond continue winning or will they choke? They have by far been the big improver.

Yeah its hard to say, it seems as if a few sides have a bit of quality added this year which could mean Caulfield and Melton might not be as untouchable as people think. Lets just hope for the best I guess.
After 6 rounds still looks like the big 2 way in front. Very even for positions 3 to 13 . Next 2 rounds leading into the break key. Reckon will need 8 wins to play finals. Are Ormond safe ?

After 6 rounds still looks like the big 2 way in front. Very even for positions 3 to 13 . Next 2 rounds leading into the break key. Reckon will need 8 wins to play finals. Are Ormond safe ?

Hard to see Caulfield and Melton not playing off in the GF. Melton play Ormond this round, so I guess that will tell us how much Ormond have improved. I heard on Nova Mick Lewis won a trip to England for the next week-end. Handy for Coburg's oppo this game.

Hard to see Caulfield and Melton not playing off in the GF. Melton play Ormond this round, so I guess that will tell us how much Ormond have improved. I heard on Nova Mick Lewis won a trip to England for the next week-end. Handy for Coburg's oppo this game.
Yeah it is hard to see Caulfield and Melton not finishing 1 and 2. Melton V Ormond will be one to keep an eye on, Ormond are second but havent really smashed any sides and havent really played anyone of note except Caulfield and they lost that game, thats not to take anything away from them them though as they have obviously improved, I still expect Melton to belt them though.

Back