Subbies 2011/12

G
good night!!!

congrats to all players and clubs who got the job done during the season and earnt the awards handed out!!!!

gee the bloke who was m.c didnt impress me at all.....

there was a few bigcricket followers there last night who i had the pleasure of having a laugh and a beer with and heck even muzzled in and sat on the premiers table for the life membership segment which was a little uncomfotable though no problems cause they are good blokes!!!!

some blokes just cant help themselves and have a good night without stirring the pot......

cant remember ever playing against you or even having a chat to you but you definately know a lot about me....saying you kicked 15 goals on me 1 day playing for sunshine heights in wrfl's div 2 reserves.....i asked your name you gave me some name ive never heard of(weapo would def know a blokes name if he was lucky enough to kick a goal let alone 15 as weapo would always take the nuffy in the fwd pocket so the great man could get an easy kick)i asked what year you played at heights you gave me a year they were in div 1 and we were in div 2.....i remember shaking your hand saying congratulations your a superstar.....if your gonna have a go at least do it with a bit of intelligence and get the facts/stats right and must have been to make you look good in the company of other 1st 11 captians and the (cdc-carlton draught courage)comming out in you.......you must be dissapointed in always living in your brothers shadow(thats right last nights guest speaker) and must be why your club hasnt gone any good in the ones with you at the helm......

im sure its not hard for b/c members to work out who this bloke is im not sure weather he was mucking around(didnt sound like it) or as i said making himself look good but seriously if your gonna talk yourself up please do it with a bit of pride as weapo stopped you in your tracks and turned the tables so to speak!!!!

weapo out!!!
Gees, got that out of the middle!

Thanks for that, Weapo, that's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Seriously son, you need help!!!

Another great Subbies night and the executive are to be congratulated on a really slick presentation.
I actually thought Pete Lazar did a good job and it is about time, we as clubs, showed a bit of respect to the speakers and presenters and shut our "gobs" whilst they are talking.

Val Holten was fantastic and brought the house down with his speech and followed the old show biz adage, leave the audience wanting more. The excutive should also be acknowledged for the inclusion of Graeme Anderson in the Hall of Fame. With Port Melbourne no longer in the competition, it would be easy to overlook Ando's stellar career.

Starting to have real reservations on the Media player of the year awards, especially in the West. This year Mick Allen broke a 46 year Subbies batting record, won the Hatch Medal, was named as Captain of the TOTY for the 3rd consecutive year and captained his team into their FIFTH consecutive Final and won their THIRD consecutive flag, yet loses out again.

A bit of research shows that during this stellar 5 year period, the Lions have had ONE player (David Kirk) win the award.

Either appoint some "journo's (and I use the term loosely) who take the award seriously, or scrap it.

Didn't curate in the subbies 2012/13, but still interested in knowing the 2 grounds awarded the best pitches. Can't find the info on the subbies website. Can any members provide me with the above? Is it on the subbies website? -- I am only a curator after all!!

Thanks for that, Weapo, that's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Seriously son, you need help!!!

Another great Subbies night and the executive are to be congratulated on a really slick presentation.
I actually thought Pete Lazar did a good job and it is about time, we as clubs, showed a bit of respect to the speakers and presenters and shut our "gobs" whilst they are talking.

Val Holten was fantastic and brought the house down with his speech and followed the old show biz adage, leave the audience wanting more. The excutive should also be acknowledged for the inclusion of Graeme Anderson in the Hall of Fame. With Port Melbourne no longer in the competition, it would be easy to overlook Ando's stellar career.

Starting to have real reservations on the Media player of the year awards, especially in the West. This year Mick Allen broke a 46 year Subbies batting record, won the Hatch Medal, was named as Captain of the TOTY for the 3rd consecutive year and captained his team into their FIFTH consecutive Final and won their THIRD consecutive flag, yet loses out again.

A bit of research shows that during this stellar 5 year period, the Lions have had ONE player (David Kirk) win the award.

Either appoint some "journo's (and I use the term loosely) who take the award seriously, or scrap it.

Could not agree more S&W. Mick Allen has been an out and out champion, not only of the competition but for his club as a captain and leader. However, congrats to all the media award winners. Nothing to take away from them.

Could not agree more S&W. Mick Allen has been an out and out champion, not only of the competition but for his club as a captain and leader. However, congrats to all the media award winners. Nothing to take away from them.
Gun player and an equally good bloke. You just have to see the way he handled himself on Friday night. Showed the utmost respect for Val Holten and little things like letting Val walk onto stage first are proof of this. With the rumour Varchione is at Melton, makes for a pretty strong team, even without Harwood.

Totally agree. Have always got along with him on an off the field. Sets an excellent example and is a great leader. Deserves a medal for captaining Jones for so long !!

Those 2 leaving are not new developments and Id imagine planning is well underway for replacements. Both underperformed vs. expectations and when compared to others who came out of Premier. Whatham is staying put.

Those 2 leaving are not new developments and Id imagine planning is well underway for replacements. Both underperformed vs. expectations and when compared to others who came out of Premier. Whatham is staying put.

Good news about Whatham. Being a bit harsh on McDonald 400 @ 36 and Manser 32 @ 13.5 I reckon. High expectations. Look forward to seeing who will be replacing them.

Good news about Whatham. Being a bit harsh on McDonald 400 @ 36 and Manser 32 @ 13.5 I reckon. High expectations. Look forward to seeing who will be replacing them.

I agree, I thought Manser in particular was pretty handy for them last season.

Am hearing McCammond from Footscray to Altona in what would be a big get if true. Also Love back to Yarraville. If they can keep Harrison it makes for a formidable batting line up.

Why wouldn't you look to the blokes in the 2s Puppeteer,after all all they were absolutely dominant last season,must be plenty of talent there?

To be fair to those who select this award, it is not as if Tim O'Brien did not have a stellar year. 739 runs, 2 centuries, a 98 and 3 other 50's, along with 24 wickets. Probably unlucky not to poll some more Hatch votes, actually had more competition in his team than Allen for votes in 12/13.
This is not to take away from Allen at all, he had a remarkable season, and was rightly rewarded with the Hatch medal, TOTY captaincy and another premiership. The greatest strength of Melton through their golden years has been the evenness of the side, in big finals they have been down and out only for the lower order or change bowlers to bring them back up to the win. This is the mark of a great club, not media awards.

I like the media awards, and know for a fact the journo's charged with responsibility for voting do it out of love for the game, and the association, and while they might have different opinions to others on occasion, this should be viewed as a positive!

To be fair to those who select this award, it is not as if Tim O'Brien did not have a stellar year. 739 runs, 2 centuries, a 98 and 3 other 50's, along with 24 wickets. Probably unlucky not to poll some more Hatch votes, actually had more competition in his team than Allen for votes in 12/13.
This is not to take away from Allen at all, he had a remarkable season, and was rightly rewarded with the Hatch medal, TOTY captaincy and another premiership. The greatest strength of Melton through their golden years has been the evenness of the side, in big finals they have been down and out only for the lower order or change bowlers to bring them back up to the win. This is the mark of a great club, not media awards.

I like the media awards, and know for a fact the journo's charged with responsibility for voting do it out of love for the game, and the association, and while they might have different opinions to others on occasion, this should be viewed as a positive!

No one disputes Tim O'Brien had a suburb debut season as evidenced in his selection in TOTY side and his 3rd place in the Hatch Medal.

But, and let me tell you, that it is a pretty big "but" when a player breaks a 46 year batting record and WINS the Hatch Medal as well as leading his club to unprecedented success, you reckon he might, just might, be adjudged the best player in a group of SEVEN teams.

Cricket is a statistical game and Allens' stats were overwhelming and maybe instead of being an apologist for the "journo" involved, we should be querying aloud how he came up with this decision.

Sorry to be off topic, just a quick message to say, the Wyndhamvale CC from the WDCA is looking for a new coach after the departure of Trent Lawford to North Melbourne.
All the information can be found on the bigcricket advertising page or at our website.

Back