Subbies Thread

Would it be fair to say VTCA has the better imports and Subbies the better local players?

Also, I wonder how many former 1st XI premier players play VTCA.

Been told today Mitch Johnson has been appointed by Werribee as Coach for the next 3 yrs, and, that the possibility W'bee will soon be admitted to Premier was a relevant issue in his decision. BTW, good to see banter of late on the which comp is superior, for that is all it should be. I suspect I'm on the same wavelength as short'n'wide on this issue.
Brave move by johnstone, took over 3 quarters of his wickets last season on a well below par wicket out at RP.. will most certainly not get the same bowler friendly conditions at Werribee.

Brave move by johnstone, took over 3 quarters of his wickets last season on a well below par wicket out at RP.. will most certainly not get the same bowler friendly conditions at Werribee.

It would be helpful in gaining an idea on pitch performance if the relevent tab on the subbies website was brought up to date. It's only up to season 2012/13. Which 2 pitches ranked the highest in 2013/14? Are the rankings for 2014/15 now known and, if so, what was the ranking of RPB's pitch?

He has aspirations of coaching at premier level so this is a smart move. Werribee is a good deck to bowl spin on also, not as good as RPB though.

He has aspirations of coaching at premier level so this is a smart move. Werribee is a good deck to bowl spin on also, not as good as RPB though.

Last time I checked Werribee are still a subbies club, still very much up in the air whether or not they will add any more teams in, will look like a mug if he has left RPB to go to Werribee and nothing eventuates from it.

Last time I checked Werribee are still a subbies club, still very much up in the air whether or not they will add any more teams in, will look like a mug if he has left RPB to go to Werribee and nothing eventuates from it.

True, he must have got some pretty good mail about the premier move. From all reports it is locked in for 20 sides in 2016/17.

I reckon it comes down to Hawthorn merging with Kingston. If Hawthorn disappear then all three go straight in which would have happened with the Dandenong Hawthorn merger. If Hawthorn stay in Premier, then I think Werribee may have to wait for the comp to be increased as PV and Melton would be in front of Werribee at this point IMO.

Anything that you can report from the club info session SS?

I reckon it comes down to Hawthorn merging with Kingston. If Hawthorn disappear then all three go straight in which would have happened with the Dandenong Hawthorn merger. If Hawthorn stay in Premier, then I think Werribee may have to wait for the comp to be increased as PV and Melton would be in front of Werribee at this point IMO.

Anything that you can report from the club info session SS?
Not really. A lot of things were discussed, but really, we need more info from Hawthorn.

Not really. A lot of things were discussed, but really, we need more info from Hawthorn.

I don't envy the decision facing your members. I am confused about the expansion of Premier Cricket. On the one hand, Tim Michell reports in the local edition of the Leader dated 29 April that Ronchi informs him the expansion ''had all but been approved''. ''Its already been endorsed to go to 20''. On the other hand, a very senior official of a Premier Club has adamantly told me the expansion has not been endorsed by Premier clubs and, in recent times, he and Phil O'M have been in discussion. I know it is not the major issue facing you club. I tend to agree with RTG that CV would not be unhappy to see HMU fold up allowing all three subbies clubs to enter the proposed 20 Premier. As mentioned in an earlier post by RTG, F/E'water and Geelong would not be pleased, but the majority of Premier clubs on your side of town would not be so upset.

I don't envy the decision facing your members. I am confused about the expansion of Premier Cricket. On the one hand, Tim Michell reports in the local edition of the Leader dated 29 April that Ronchi informs him the expansion ''had all but been approved''. ''Its already been endorsed to go to 20''. On the other hand, a very senior official of a Premier Club has adamantly told me the expansion has not been endorsed by Premier clubs and, in recent times, he and Phil O'M have been in discussion. I know it is not the major issue facing you club. I tend to agree with RTG that CV would not be unhappy to see HMU fold up allowing all three subbies clubs to enter the proposed 20 Premier. As mentioned in an earlier post by RTG, F/E'water and Geelong would not be pleased, but the majority of Premier clubs on your side of town would not be so upset.
It's interesting, whilst CV may not be upset to see HMU go, they don't want to be seen as 'killing off' HMU. One thing that is interesting is what has happened to Monash University Cricket Club. Not sure how thriving a subbies club they were, however, they are now gone. We certainly don't want that to happen to us.

It's interesting, whilst CV may not be upset to see HMU go, they don't want to be seen as 'killing off' HMU. One thing that is interesting is what has happened to Monash University Cricket Club. Not sure how thriving a subbies club they were, however, they are now gone. We certainly don't want that to happen to us.
Cautionary tale no doubt!

They have the Monash University Gryphons taking over. An MCA side, with respect, talk about a waste of good facilities!

McDonald a good get YWL - obviously missed out on Greenvale job. Did well at Brighton and will bring a couple of recruits you would think.
On Greenvale, surely questions asked from CV HQ on whats happening there? Gone are Coach and Captain, a couple of clearances on Premier site.
Whats the point of propping them up & HMU when clubs like Plenty Valley, Melton, Werribee are ready to go? Raises more qns than answers really.

McDonald a good get YWL - obviously missed out on Greenvale job. Did well at Brighton and will bring a couple of recruits you would think.
On Greenvale, surely questions asked from CV HQ on whats happening there? Gone are Coach and Captain, a couple of clearances on Premier site.
Whats the point of propping them up & HMU when clubs like Plenty Valley, Melton, Werribee are ready to go? Raises more qns than answers really.

When, in 2013, CV announced the Greenvale/NthMelbourne merger it made much of the fact it positioned a Premier club in the Northern growth corridor. I doubt CV would have expected a huge turnaround in North's fortunes in the short-term given the difficulties it suffered on the loss of Arden Street. Also, Greenvale appears to be unique in that it continues to field teams in the VTCA and North Western comps. I guess, therefore, it has retained its identity to a greater degree than would seem possible for Kingston should it merge with HMU. As to Melton and Werribee being ready to go it alone in Premier, a number of their long-standing members known to me consider it is more a question of a number within their clubs being willing to go, rather than the clubs being ready for the jump in standard.

Getting too much for me,all these promotions and mergers,any news on all the advertised jobs?,agree with North,McDonald should be good for Willy,very big shoes to fill but.

Yeh and you'd think Plenty Valley are $1.01 so that must mean Melton miss out.
I wouldn't pay much attention to anything that Tim Michell writes in the Leader. He is just a "cheerleader" for Plenty Valley.
He is no more "in the know" than most on this site and I don't think Cricket Victoria pay much attention to what he writes (dribbles)

I wouldn't pay much attention to anything that Tim Michell writes in the Leader. He is just a "cheerleader" for Plenty Valley.
He is no more "in the know" than most on this site and I don't think Cricket Victoria pay much attention to what he writes (dribbles)
No doubt he is a big supporter of PV, however based on their sustained success over the past couple of seasons they have warranted the fanfare of Michell!!

Back