Subbies Thread

No doubt he is a big supporter of PV, however based on their sustained success over the past couple of seasons they have warranted the fanfare of Michell!!
Perhaps he should take a look at what Melton has done over the last SIX years. You'd think 4 first XI flags, multiple lower XI Premierships and Club Championships would stack up favourably against PV's ONE first XI flag and ONE club championship win.
Perhaps Tim the "cheerleader" could compare each clubs "SUSTAINED SUCCESS" and revisit his "fair and balanced" assessment of each teams prospects.

Perhaps he should take a look at what Melton has done over the last SIX years. You'd think 4 first XI flags, multiple lower XI Premierships and Club Championships would stack up favourably against PV's ONE first XI flag and ONE club championship win.
Perhaps Tim the "cheerleader" could compare each clubs "SUSTAINED SUCCESS" and revisit his "fair and balanced" assessment of each teams prospects.
WHACK! Personally I think it is great having Mitchell, D'Anello, Amy and Jenkinson (I am sure there are others) covering the subbies. Good for the comp and good luck to them! From time to time they might get it wrong but I think overall its a positive for the competition.

The Local Media play an integral role in the promotion of our individual club's and overarching Association's value proposition's.

Personally, in dealing regularly with both Tim Michell and Tara Murray, I think it most appropriate to conclude that they avail the most time, support and promotion of those clubs that pro-actively engage them and put the time in to promote the going's on at their club's, etc. With this regard, I am conscious that Michael Sheedy of the PVCC is believed to be the most approachable and generous of time club leaders in the VSDCA and, as such, he deserves significant credit for the Local Media promotion his club receives.

With regards to the 3 VSDCA clubs with Premier aspirations, I would suggest it undoubted that Melton has the most solid claim of demonstrated sustained success to be best considered "Premier ready". The decade past achievements of Melton are credit and testament to historic work of Kevin Vernon, Butch and Ivanka Gale, Duncan Harrison, Chris Hope and a select group of others.

However, this noted, despite having the most solid claims (when considering on-field successes only), there are other key criteria including geographical location, penetration into the key growth markets, Council support for Premier ready facilities, etc.

If expansion of Premier does proceed as mooted (and this certainly shouldn't be considered a given based on real and tangible concerns of existing Premier clubs), I think it can be taken as a given that Plenty Valley will be admitted as they will address one glaring hole at present - the North. As for the West, subject to necessary Council support and buy-in, I would suggest that Melton have richer and deeper claims of legitimacy for promotion than Werribee.

The biggest question that remains unanswered though is as to whether expansion of Premier Cricket is in the immediate best interests of elite player development or will it, potentially, compound existing challenges with regards to the diluted quality of cricket at the top grade. The elephant in the room as well is as to whether those voting can consciously or sub-consciously put aside best interests of their club's for the greater good of cricket in the State.

The Local Media play an integral role in the promotion of our individual club's and overarching Association's value proposition's.

Personally, in dealing regularly with both Tim Michell and Tara Murray, I think it most appropriate to conclude that they avail the most time, support and promotion of those clubs that pro-actively engage them and put the time in to promote the going's on at their club's, etc. With this regard, I am conscious that Michael Sheedy of the PVCC is believed to be the most approachable and generous of time club leaders in the VSDCA and, as such, he deserves significant credit for the Local Media promotion his club receives.

With regards to the 3 VSDCA clubs with Premier aspirations, I would suggest it undoubted that Melton has the most solid claim of demonstrated sustained success to be best considered "Premier ready". The decade past achievements of Melton are credit and testament to historic work of Kevin Vernon, Butch and Ivanka Gale, Duncan Harrison, Chris Hope and a select group of others.

However, this noted, despite having the most solid claims (when considering on-field successes only), there are other key criteria including geographical location, penetration into the key growth markets, Council support for Premier ready facilities, etc.

If expansion of Premier does proceed as mooted (and this certainly shouldn't be considered a given based on real and tangible concerns of existing Premier clubs), I think it can be taken as a given that Plenty Valley will be admitted as they will address one glaring hole at present - the North. As for the West, subject to necessary Council support and buy-in, I would suggest that Melton have richer and deeper claims of legitimacy for promotion than Werribee.

The biggest question that remains unanswered though is as to whether expansion of Premier Cricket is in the immediate best interests of elite player development or will it, potentially, compound existing challenges with regards to the diluted quality of cricket at the top grade. The elephant in the room as well is as to whether those voting can consciously or sub-consciously put aside best interests of their club's for the greater good of cricket in the State.

New to the forum and trying to catch up on all things Subbies. Seems like there is a lot going on at the moment with Cricket in our state.

Interesting and insightful take Ben. Your passion for Subbies is evident, however I wonder if your view of the clubs in line for Premier Cricket promotion is skewed due to Johnstone moving on?

New to the forum and trying to catch up on all things Subbies. Seems like there is a lot going on at the moment with Cricket in our state.

Interesting and insightful take Ben. Your passion for Subbies is evident, however I wonder if your view of the clubs in line for Premier Cricket promotion is skewed due to Johnstone moving on?

With regards to any opinion expressed on the candidacy of West Group clubs, views were limited exclusively to the past decade of on-field successes. As we know, this is but one criteria of consideration and a consideration that may trail others such as Council and community buy-in and support, facilities, etc... Aside from the on-field measure that is transparent to all, outsiders like myself wouldn't know as to which club presents the more compelling case.

With regards to Mitch, consciously or sub-consciously, I wouldn't think any opinion I hold is skewed following his departure from the Falcons. As has been widely reported, there is no malice or ill-will between either party. Mitch has decided to back his judgement in on the information he diligently collected as to Werribee's prospects whereas I hold an alternate view that a lot of water is still to pass under the bridge before any guarantees of promotion can be assured. A mere difference of opinion and interpretation and I wish Mitch every on-going success with his drive towards an end goal of becoming a Premier Coach and, to be honest, actually hope that the decision he has made (ultimately) works in his favour of this end goal as opposed to becoming a derailer or hurdle that he needs overcome.

I wish every success to Werribee, Melton and Plenty Valley and if interpreted position of mine is perceived to be skewed towards Melton - it is certainly not as a result of Mitch and club parting ways but, moreso, owing to the close relationships that I hold with some at Melton.

And, finally, yes - most definitely passionate about all things VSDCA and all that our Association can be.

Ben, in your first post on this page you state the Premier expansion can't be taken as a given, This is in line with what I am hearing from Premier sources. However, this is contrary to the impression given by Tim Michell's article in the Leader. He relayed that Ronchi had told him the expansion had all but been approved and already endorsed to go to 20. Can you throw any light on the actual position?

Ben, in your first post on this page you state the Premier expansion can't be taken as a given, This is in line with what I am hearing from Premier sources. However, this is contrary to the impression given by Tim Michell's article in the Leader. He relayed that Ronchi had told him the expansion had all but been approved and already endorsed to go to 20. Can you throw any light on the actual position?

Westland, as with what appears to be all things with top end cricket at present; Premier, VSDCA and VTCA - opinions vary significantly based on who you talk too.

What is widely known is that Cricket Victoria have re-engaged the 3 previously applying VSDCA clubs (PVCC, Melton and Werribee) with a philosophical intention of expanding Premier Cricket to 20 teams from Season 2016/2017. This is without dispute and all 3 VSDCA clubs mentioned have been engaged with regards to this intention and next steps.

However, at this point, this is where there are conflicting views/understandings/etc. Is expansion in 2016/2017 a preferred conceptual intention or is it, essentially, an iron clad guarantee. I'm not entirely certain that anybody knows and, as such, resultantly - clubs and individuals make decisions based on their interpretation or advice/notice received.

A philosophical intention to expand is one thing; however, any interested party will need demonstrate Council support, buy-in and investment and be able to convince Cricket Victoria that the club (holistically) is Premier ready.

At the end of the day, the outer West (for example) has a population as large as Tasmania yet no Premier team within this region (whilst Tasmania, clearly, have their own Premier competition). Premier cricket needs be offered to the markets of the outer North and West and, I'm sure, in time - this will happen. As to how it is delivered/executed/etc is the $64m question though as; 1) yes - these areas need a Premier cricket vehicle, however 2) expansion further dilutes the Premier product. A catch 22 in many regards.

As of today, there most certainly is an intention to expand in 2016/2017 but given the need for 3rd party buy-in and significant capital investment (ie Councils), many things are probably outside the direct sphere of influence for either Cricket Victoria or the 3 VSDCA clubs concerned.

Easiest to conclude that there are intentions (as there is with regards to consolidation of turf cricket) but numerous stakeholders and 3rd parties who all need be on the same page and swimming in the same direction. I certainly don't envy CV as they look to drive turf cricket forward in the coming Seasons.

Westland, as with what appears to be all things with top end cricket at present; Premier, VSDCA and VTCA - opinions vary significantly based on who you talk too.

What is widely known is that Cricket Victoria have re-engaged the 3 previously applying VSDCA clubs (PVCC, Melton and Werribee) with a philosophical intention of expanding Premier Cricket to 20 teams from Season 2016/2017. This is without dispute and all 3 VSDCA clubs mentioned have been engaged with regards to this intention and next steps.

However, at this point, this is where there are conflicting views/understandings/etc. Is expansion in 2016/2017 a preferred conceptual intention or is it, essentially, an iron clad guarantee. I'm not entirely certain that anybody knows and, as such, resultantly - clubs and individuals make decisions based on their interpretation or advice/notice received.

A philosophical intention to expand is one thing; however, any interested party will need demonstrate Council support, buy-in and investment and be able to convince Cricket Victoria that the club (holistically) is Premier ready.

At the end of the day, the outer West (for example) has a population as large as Tasmania yet no Premier team within this region (whilst Tasmania, clearly, have their own Premier competition). Premier cricket needs be offered to the markets of the outer North and West and, I'm sure, in time - this will happen. As to how it is delivered/executed/etc is the $64m question though as; 1) yes - these areas need a Premier cricket vehicle, however 2) expansion further dilutes the Premier product. A catch 22 in many regards.

As of today, there most certainly is an intention to expand in 2016/2017 but given the need for 3rd party buy-in and significant capital investment (ie Councils), many things are probably outside the direct sphere of influence for either Cricket Victoria or the 3 VSDCA clubs concerned.

Easiest to conclude that there are intentions (as there is with regards to consolidation of turf cricket) but numerous stakeholders and 3rd parties who all need be on the same page and swimming in the same direction. I certainly don't envy CV as they look to drive turf cricket forward in the coming Seasons.

As you said in a previous post, the key thing in all of this is that no one is the wiser as to CV's long term strategic plan, and consequently players and clubs are making decisions with an element of the unknown.

Looks to be no malice between the Johnstone and RPB separation, but just interested as an onlooker from the East as to how all this has played out.

Holten Medal tonight, I've done a form guide of all the main contenders and come up with the following result:

Issy Perera - Noble 21
Liam Murphy - Kew 21
Spike Pinwill - Oakleigh 20
Michael Jones - Malvern 18
Sean Ayres - Plenty 15
Mitch Johnstone - Roxburgh 15

P
Holten Medal tonight, I've done a form guide of all the main contenders and come up with the following result:

Issy Perera - Noble 21
Liam Murphy - Kew 21
Sean Ayres - Plenty 15

Pinwill to get up

Issy Perera - Noble 21
Liam Murphy - Kew 21
Sean Ayres - Plenty 15

Murphy plays for Balwyn.

That looks pretty close though.

Murphy to win for me, nobody taking votes off him at Balwyn.

Looking forward to hearing the great Kerry O'Keefe, had me in stitches last time I saw him. Great night the Holten Medal!

Of course, apologies to Liam and Balwyn. No one taking votes off any of the top 3 for mine, was surprised Jones didn't poll better, I had him wiht 6 best on's, he tended to bat and bowl well in the same game. Similar to Ayres. Johnstone had good performances around him when he had good games, that might cost him in the wash up.

Guest speaker will actually be Doug Walters, KOK was a late withdrawal. I voted for a magician, but lost out.

Did Balwyn win enough games for Murphy to take the prize?
Of course, apologies to Liam and Balwyn. No one taking votes off any of the top 3 for mine, was surprised Jones didn't poll better, I had him wiht 6 best on's, he tended to bat and bowl well in the same game. Similar to Ayres. Johnstone had good performances around him when he had good games, that might cost him in the wash up.

Guest speaker will actually be Doug Walters, KOK was a late withdrawal. I voted for a magician, but lost out.

I had him gaining votes in the following games:

Rd1 - 1 vote vs Will

Rd 2 - 0 vs PV

Rd 3 - 0 vs Yarra

Rd 4 - 3 vs Ivan

Rd 5 - 3 vs Alt

Rd 6 - 0 vs RPB

Rd 7 - 3 vs Cob

Rd 8 - 3 vs Kew

Rd 9 - 3 vs Werr

Rd 10 - 1 vs Suns

Rd 11 - 2 vs Bruns

Rd 12 - 2 vs Prest

Rd 13 - 0 vs Melt

21 votes total

Congrats to Murphy and Perera. Deserved winners.

I thought Michael Roberts struggled last night. A lot of 'ssshhhhh's' to get the crowd under control!

Interesting TOTY selection in Zac Allen. Going to be a great player, but not a team of the year winner at this point. I had a choice of 3 players in the south, Wild, Baldry & Wintle who should have got in before him!

With home & away figures only it is quite staggering that Wintle missed out, 627 runs, 2 centuries 3 fifties an average of 57 and 6 runs off being the highest run scorer in South East group. Only 2 scored more than him in the North West.

Back